Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Whoops just realized the Basic Extruder is useless. The only LV recipes are for soft materials like rubber. Gotta get a bending machine for cheap plates.

CoreDuo posted:

It's Unity (just hit Download ZIP) combined with Zederrian Technology.

Okay, how did you do this, exactly? I downloaded the Unity zip but it doesn't show up in the resource packs listing. I believe this is because the zip file contains a folder that contains the resource pack. Did you have to unzip it and rezip it to make it work too?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

Okay, how did you do this, exactly? I downloaded the Unity zip but it doesn't show up in the resource packs listing. I believe this is because the zip file contains a folder that contains the resource pack. Did you have to unzip it and rezip it to make it work too?

I just unzipped the folder into resourcepacks.

McFrugal posted:

Whoops just realized the Basic Extruder is useless. The only LV recipes are for soft materials like rubber. Gotta get a bending machine for cheap plates.

It's not that useless because on machines that need a lot of electronic circuits you end up using a ton of rubber if you don't have an extruder. You can also skip a step since you need rubber ingots for the alloy smelter and the extruder can take the rubber pulp right out of the extractor. And with the more complicated recipes to come, that is valuable. Plate bender is next on the list though, followed by polarizer, cutting machine, and lathe. Then maybe I'll be able to make a cart assembler without tearing my hair out.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 9, 2016

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh man Blood Moon is terrifying when you've never experienced it. I see now why people take to the trees for their starting base. Going to have to rethink my big-rear end garden out front, might have to enclose it entirely.

What mod is this about?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I jumped on the Gregtech bandwagon. This effect is part of a separate mod called appropriately enough Blood Moon, if you want to experience a (default) 5% chance of a day ending where you can't sleep in your bed, the night is tinted red, and the spawn limits on hostile mobs has been lifted against you.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Sage Grimm posted:

This effect is part of a separate mod called appropriately enough Blood Moon, if you want to experience a (default) 5% chance of a day ending where you can't sleep in your bed, the night is tinted red, and the spawn limits on hostile mobs has been lifted against you.

There is a discrete mod now but in this mod pack it's actually provided by Random Things. They use it to make the night pitch black too.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

It's not that useless because on machines that need a lot of electronic circuits you end up using a ton of rubber if you don't have an extruder. You can also skip a step since you need rubber ingots for the alloy smelter and the extruder can take the rubber pulp right out of the extractor. And with the more complicated recipes to come, that is valuable. Plate bender is next on the list though, followed by polarizer, cutting machine, and lathe. Then maybe I'll be able to make a cart assembler without tearing my hair out.

I've been putting rubber pulp directly into my alloy smelter just fine.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

I've been putting rubber pulp directly into my alloy smelter just fine.

Whoops, I had only looked at it in NEI which gave me the ingot recipe. Either way, 1 rubber per plate is still useful since electronic circuits need 6 copper cables each.

Also wtf, it's up to 1.0.7.7j?

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 9, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

I jumped on the Gregtech bandwagon. This effect is part of a separate mod called appropriately enough Blood Moon, if you want to experience a (default) 5% chance of a day ending where you can't sleep in your bed, the night is tinted red, and the spawn limits on hostile mobs has been lifted against you.

It's not just that. Mobs can now spawn regardless of light levels and auto-aggro on you. So either you have to use things like Extra Utilities chandelier or magnum torch or half-slab or glass all surfaces. Of course there are now mods that allow mobs to spawn on glass and half slabs so you are stuck preventing spawns by proximity. Hope your base is small enough to prevent spawns from spawning inside.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's what I rolled under the words "spawn limits lifted." :v:

I had a small enough section that was closed off that worked well enough. The noise they make is incredible, especially when 0 light means pitch black and you can't tell where the hissing and groans are coming from. Eventually I started worrying some dumb creeper would blow up a section of my crops and I eventually JourneyMap teleported to another waypoint away from the chaos. I might just find a stone closet to hide in and wait for morning next time.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Last time I used CofhTweaks it was way worse than fastcraft, which was like 6 or 8 months ago. It looks like it's been continually updated though, is there any word on how it compares now? They are incompatible so sadly they cannot be used together.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

That's what I rolled under the words "spawn limits lifted." :v:

Well, that and instead of 20-50 mob limit its a couple hundred.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
For those of you taking the plunge into NH, don't forget these tiers:

Tier 0: Vanilla Minecraft, Pam's Harvestcraft, GT Flint tools
Tier 1: GT Bronze Age, TiCo, Chisel, Jabba, Twillight Forest
Tier 2: GT (LV), Railcraft, Forestry, Extra Utilities, Backpacks
Tier 3: GT (MV), Thaumcraft (+Addons), Binnie, Advanced Solar Panels, AE2
Tier 4: GT (HV), Galacticraft (+Addons), AFSU, Witchery
Tier 5: GT (EV), Gendustry, Blood Magic

You can get to Twilight Forest the usual way, I assume. Just gotta find some (small) diamond ore.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Alternatively rob villages blind or scout out some rogue-like dungeons (and curse the ridiculous increase of "hardness" for mob spawner blocks) to get some sweet diamonds/ingots early.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

greententacle posted:

With the Gregtech talk, has anyone made a mod where plants & animals grow at the same rate they would in real life, animals being pregnant for the same amount of time, or changed the day/night cycle to actual 24 hours?

Terrafirmacraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

You can get to Twilight Forest the usual way, I assume. Just gotta find some (small) diamond ore.
You can, and there's definitely ore in the hills, but there's only so much you can use all the stuff you find for. And for some reason the Naga didn't spawn when I found a courtyard? Like there was a metal cage spawner for him and everything but I strolled right up and nothing happened.

E: Okay I warped out of the Twilight Forest, then back in, now the Naga's here.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 10, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

You can, and there's definitely ore in the hills, but there's only so much you can use all the stuff you find for. And for some reason the Naga didn't spawn when I found a courtyard? Like there was a metal cage spawner for him and everything but I strolled right up and nothing happened.

E: Okay I warped out of the Twilight Forest, then back in, now the Naga's here.

Apparently Knightmetal makes for a good tcon sword weapon, at 3 hearts base damage. That's better than manyullyn!

Neutronium is the absolute tops though. 20 hearts base damage. Yeah. Below that are Tungstensteel and Adamantium, at 14 and 12 hearts respectively. Then Meteoric Steel is 6. I think you can get Meteoric Steel from galacticraft nonsense, and Neutronium is supposedly from the fusion reactor... not sure about Adamantium. Tungstensteel is obvious from NEI.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I started on NH last night and after 3 hours i managed to complete tier 0: - the pig killing one took ages as my spawn area had no pigs or sheep (lots of slimes though)

talk about a slow start

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

I started on NH last night and after 3 hours i managed to complete tier 0: - the pig killing one took ages as my spawn area had no pigs or sheep (lots of slimes though)

talk about a slow start

It gets slower.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Sanity check: Is there anything wrong with making an ore washing machine to get cobalt out of nickel?

McFrugal posted:

It gets slower.

... he says, staring longingly at his blast furnace.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

Sanity check: Is there anything wrong with making an ore washing machine to get cobalt out of nickel?

... he says, staring longingly at his blast furnace.

Ore washing machine is an ore refinement process with no drawbacks, afaik. It's how you get the first byproduct while still leaving a chance to get the second, at least until you get a Pulverizer. Second byproduct is via the (thermal) centrifuge, which handles purified ore just fine. You have to smash purified ore into dust to use it with the regular centrifuge though. If you don't have an ore washing machine, putting impure dust through the regular centrifuge gives you the first byproduct but won't leave access to the second.

I'm making a second bronze blast furnace soon... I got a bending machine now! That effectively doubled my steel output, which is nice.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 10, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I had to rage quit my skyfactory one earlier. I finally built the portal to the nether (in hopes of finally getting some stuff) and discover that the nether is set to void as well.
No problem, there has to be fortresses (the quest book actually tells you to go to the nether and pick blaze spawners). After a while of building i find nothing but a billshit death when some dogs spawned on my platform and i hit a pigman by mistake.

So i went into the config files, found the one that sets the worlds, and yep spawn fortresses set to false.........

On the plus side im giving this (obviously made by a furry) mod a go

The ferret Business. Premise is ok. Build/make poo poo for a company, they reward you.

First night (i hadnt set up a base) was a bloodmoon. No idea exactly what that means, but the sky was red and there were mobs everywhere. I survived by building a 3x3 hole for myself.

havent got too far to see how the quest book actually handles stuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
From what I can see, you should absolutely make the Metal Bender your #1 priority once you finally reach electric machines in T3. It doubles your plate production and a huge majority of things you need require plates. Even wires require plates. So you're doubling your plate and wire output. Wires can be doubled again when you get a wire machine (which skips plates entirely), but until then metal bending seems to roughly be a 2x endeavor.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

I had to rage quit my skyfactory one earlier. I finally built the portal to the nether (in hopes of finally getting some stuff) and discover that the nether is set to void as well.
No problem, there has to be fortresses (the quest book actually tells you to go to the nether and pick blaze spawners). After a while of building i find nothing but a billshit death when some dogs spawned on my platform and i hit a pigman by mistake.

So i went into the config files, found the one that sets the worlds, and yep spawn fortresses set to false.........

You can delete the world map for the Nether specifically, change that setting, then re-enter the Nether. It should generate a new map entirely.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Regrowth + Buildcraft question:

Is there a way to stop wasting so much energy/steam with an industrial steam engine? I hooked up a lever to control steam input, and a lever to control the engine being on/off. If I shut off the steam when the engine has a nice buffer of RF and leave the engine on, the RF output basically shuts off too (it drops to like 1 RF / tick) and I can't seem to use that stored energy efficiently since at that rate most of it just drains out.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

VegasShirtGuy posted:

Is there a way to stop wasting so much energy/steam with an industrial steam engine? I hooked up a lever to control steam input, and a lever to control the engine being on/off. If I shut off the steam when the engine has a nice buffer of RF and leave the engine on, the RF output basically shuts off too (it drops to like 1 RF / tick) and I can't seem to use that stored energy efficiently since at that rate most of it just drains out.

There isn't. Buildcraft and buildcraft-inspired stuff like Railcraft is designed to be left on all the time. Steam boilers, in particular, essentially need to constantly run all the time or risk failure/explosion. (Introducing water to a dry but hot boiler is bad.)

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Meskhenet posted:

On the plus side im giving this (obviously made by a furry) mod a go

What ever gave you that idea?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

VegasShirtGuy posted:

You can use BC gates and pipe wire. A gate can detect if something needs power and send a signal to turn on the engines. I guess that's more for the BC combustion engines though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

bigperm posted:

You can use BC gates and pipe wire. A gate can detect if something needs power and send a signal to turn on the engines.

Turning off the engines neuters the power output, though, when you next turn them on. Railcraft engines are designed to be on all the time.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

From what I can see, you should absolutely make the Metal Bender your #1 priority once you finally reach electric machines in T3. It doubles your plate production and a huge majority of things you need require plates. Even wires require plates. So you're doubling your plate and wire output. Wires can be doubled again when you get a wire machine (which skips plates entirely), but until then metal bending seems to roughly be a 2x endeavor.

I went Wiremill -> Extruder -> Bending Machine because you need so much rubber and so many wires to make all the other machines. 6 per electronic circuit and for each machine you need at least two electronic circuits. I also made the polarizer because it was cheap relative to all the others.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CoreDuo posted:

I went Wiremill -> Extruder -> Bending Machine because you need so much rubber and so many wires to make all the other machines. 6 per electronic circuit and for each machine you need at least two electronic circuits. I also made the polarizer because it was cheap relative to all the others.
Wiremill's not a terrible idea, but a bender halves the cost of both wires and plates, plus it lets you get a jumpstart on making a second (or third) connected blast furnace if you haven't already, requiring only 120 bronze ingots for the hulls instead of 240. Wiremill quarters the price of wires, which is great, but at this point I found the limiting factor was steel, which I wasn't making wires from, so that wouldn't have helped me.

Also I'm not sure why building an extruder helps that early on, LV extruders can't do much, right?

Steel is the #1 bottleneck for me right now, and needing about 24 plates per machine (in some cases) meant a whole lot of just waiting around, even with coal coke speeding up the process. Would not recommend.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
I already have two blast furnaces, though I need more coke ovens to feed them reliably. Fortunately you can just stick sand and clay in the alloy smelter at this point. LV Extruders make rubber plates cost 1 pulp instead of 2. It also uses less steam and is faster than the alloy smelter, which is nice.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 10, 2016

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
If you smelt iron nuggets in a vanilla furnace you get a wrought iron nugget, which you can combine to make a wrought iron ingot which you can use to make steel faster. I'm not sure how much faster or if it even works in a bronze blast furnace though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Man, if all you guys really want to do is deal with mysteries and tedium, you can help me with the BFSR beta! :v: I've got this giant, butt-gaping todo list and it's sucking out my vital life force. I'm really falling into the version 2.0 syndrome over here. Like, the extra 50 quests or whatever it's up to is one thing, but setting up demo rigs in the tutorial dimension and other goofy stuff with spatial storage rewards and the like is a whole new level of crazy.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
I'm curious to know if Blood Moons can be set to be active in a specific dimension only, or is it just going to effect the overworld?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Man, if all you guys really want to do is deal with mysteries and tedium, you can help me with the BFSR beta! :v: I've got this giant, butt-gaping todo list and it's sucking out my vital life force. I'm really falling into the version 2.0 syndrome over here. Like, the extra 50 quests or whatever it's up to is one thing, but setting up demo rigs in the tutorial dimension and other goofy stuff with spatial storage rewards and the like is a whole new level of crazy.

Post what you need and people might help! I'm currently loving around with updating Progress and deciding if I want to put in the work required to actually make it good

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

Post what you need and people might help! I'm currently loving around with updating Progress and deciding if I want to put in the work required to actually make it good

I have a server instance up where I try to do most of my tutorial world edits:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765024

I had to nuke all the CoFH stuff out of it due to a strange block ID bug that I am pretty sure they weren't going to fix, so it was quicker for me to uninstall the CoFH stuff, have the game blow away all the blocks, and then reinstall it all afterwards. It appears not to have hurt the quest book, but now I have a bunch of spots with reactors and farms that no longer have any machines or ducts connecting up to them. I was going to replace them all with EnderIO stuff anyways.

Quest editing is probably one thing I'll do my self. Technically, I can dump the quest files to JSON again, but last time I imported them, and bunch of stuff imploded; quest links got all screwed up, and some quests stopped detecting their criteria. I had to go through and manually re-assert a ton of stuff.

I do want help particularly with three things: I wanted to set up a Galacticraft demo setup in the tutorial world in the hanger by the airstrip. For another thing, I wanted to give the player a prepared dimension and have a quest detect that they were able to teleport into it. I'm not sure if the mod interplay would support it. Finally, I wanted to make an advanced quest for my "Philadelphia Experiment" chapter in the quest book. Specifically, I wanted to give the player a spatial storage drive that has a goofy rendition of a US warship stored in it. The player has to generate enough power and build enough spatial pylons to be able to warp in the ship. Then they can engage in combat against crazy Herobrines with assault rifles or something on the ship (thanks, CustomNPCs!) to get some trophy or whatever inside it to complete the chapter. Because why not. I'm not sure if I can duplicate a spatial drive yet, nor do I know the kind of power needs I'd need for this kind of thing yet, let alone if all the mods I have support that interplay.

Finally, the tick rate in the tutorial world gets pretty crappy with all the gear running, so I am trying to figure out how to optimize. It might mean moving buildings around into different zones that are normally outside of chunk loading distance of each other. One big problem is that the MFR steam boilers I have feeding a Big Reactor turbine doesn't seem to build up heat well on the server, although it works fine in single-player.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

I already have two blast furnaces, though I need more coke ovens to feed them reliably. Fortunately you can just stick sand and clay in the alloy smelter at this point. LV Extruders make rubber plates cost 1 pulp instead of 2. It also uses less steam and is faster than the alloy smelter, which is nice.

I'm not sure why you're having trouble with rubber. Just craft a bunch of treetaps (all at once for sanity's sake) and use those to collect resin from rubber tree trunks. Don't chop down the trees once you have treetaps- the resin spots replenish over time.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Spatial cell power requirement depends on the number of pylons used in the construction, and the power required for them needs to be stored in the same network as the spatial IO port in Dense Energy Cells (it needs to be there all at once, not in Vibrant Cap banks or whatever) but when I made a 64x32x64 cell recently, the maximum pylon efficiency required storage of.. 160 mil RF, I think?

Though you make a good point re the mod interplay. Mod blocks need to be manually allowed, by the mod maker I think? A lot of things like TE machines may not be carried over.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Twilight Forest is a great place to find ores in NH. Not because of the mounds, but because of ravines. I visited three ravines, and this is what I found:
All four elemental infused stone types (no ordo/perditio yet though).
A graphite/diamond vein.
Sapphire/almandine.

I also strongly recommend getting a sleeping bag for exploring the overworld. The full-darkness nighttime is a serious issue, which means your range is effectively limited to half a day's travel otherwise. Twilight Forest doesn't have this issue, but you won't get any roguelike dungeons there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

Spatial cell power requirement depends on the number of pylons used in the construction, and the power required for them needs to be stored in the same network as the spatial IO port in Dense Energy Cells (it needs to be there all at once, not in Vibrant Cap banks or whatever) but when I made a 64x32x64 cell recently, the maximum pylon efficiency required storage of.. 160 mil RF, I think?
It sure does demand a lot of power, and it's pretty unrealistic to expect a player to encase such a volume in pylons. The big, demo reactor I set up in the tutorial dimension could power something like that very quickly, and even more so if I do something more realistic like 64x16x32, but I recall the power needs got crazy if you, say, just layed out the three axes in three lines and called it a job well done. I don't know what that number is though and whether it's realistic. I just have to get off my butt, lay it out, and guess from there. I guess if it's normally unrealistic, I can give the player a few full dense energy cells as a reward to a pre-requisite quest. I have to give the player the spatial drive too, for example.

But yeah, half the problem is figuring out what blocks are valid to beam up.