Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Pantsless woman crashes into Waffle House. Because: Florida.
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20160305/police-blotter-woman-caught-with-pants-down-drunk-after-driving-into-eatery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Holy gently caress. I love drinking heavily as much as the next person, but .295 BAC? That is seriously, seriously drunk. That's nearly 6 times the level that will get your license suspended and car towed here, and rapidly closing in on alcohol poisoning.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.wtae.com/news/vehicle-on-giant-eagle-roof-in-greenfield/38400526

quote:

PITTSBURGH —An out-of-control vehicle crash-landed on the roof of a Giant Eagle grocery store Tuesday morning, prompting an evacuation and emergency closure of the building.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
Appropriate music.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

To be fair it seems to be able to get through at least 6" of water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLZsP6bStDQ

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bright red bike, bright yellow helmet, loudish exhaust, could the drivers in Pittsburgh please notice me one day instead of a stream of idiots constantly trying to merge into my legs.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Going for a change of tone with a positive anecdote for once. Given the weather in the UK today and a couple of accidents on the M20 that prompted me to divert through the countryside, my commute went from this:

http://gfycat.com/DevotedHollowDromaeosaur.webm

To this:

http://gfycat.com/FeistyVillainousBuzzard.webm

Unfortunately, the road I use as my alternate route was closed. I looked at the map on my phone and figured out a way around the blocked road. So off I went.

http://gfycat.com/ElegantIncomparableHackee.webm

Unfortuantely the alternate route I figured out was also blocked, due to a fallen tree, as advised by a car turning around who flagged me down. Luckily the two cars I met were both going to the same place I went, and actually knew the route and told me to follow them. So off we embarked on our journey! Containing such wonders as lovely narrow countryside roads on bendy steep hills with incredibly muddy passing places!

http://gfycat.com/DiscreteBabyishFinch.webm

Endless amounts of muddy water!

http://gfycat.com/OrganicDearHummingbird.webm

60mph roads so narrow a Nissan Micra looks big travelling down them!

http://gfycat.com/ForcefulObedientKakapo.webm

But with the help of my newfound friends I was able to get to work without too much difficulty, despite my car now being filthy and caked in mud everywhere that isn't swept by a wiper blade. Honestly though, I would take Commuting to Work Rally Championship 2016 any day over stop start slowly creep forward queues. The possibility of death around every sharp corner really adds a level of excitement to what is an otherwise dull trip.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Didn't the romans show you folk how to pave roads?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, the romans forced them to build a few good roads under threat of decapitation and then once the empire fell (or more specifically, the money stopped showing up) everyone decided they didn't actually give a poo poo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

As a native of Arizona, where our amazing roads are completely unappreciated, it always amazes me when I see pictures/videos of what they call roads in Jolly ol' England.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is it actually true that driving with headphones is illegal or is it another one of those myths like driving with bare feet is illegal?

I ask because can't deaf people drive? And doesn't a motorcycle helmet combined with wind noise combined with a motorcycle exhaust block out just as much noise as headphones would?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GutBomb posted:

Is it actually true that driving with headphones is illegal or is it another one of those myths like driving with bare feet is illegal?

I ask because can't deaf people drive? And doesn't a motorcycle helmet combined with wind noise combined with a motorcycle exhaust block out just as much noise as headphones would?

I doubt it's illegal but it is really stupid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

GutBomb posted:

And doesn't a motorcycle helmet combined with wind noise combined with a motorcycle exhaust block out just as much noise as headphones would?

It's actually better to ride with ear plugs than without. They block the high frequency wind noise and actually let you hear cars better. Plus, wind noise is exhausting, so ear plugs let you concentrate better. The exhaust is far enough behind the rider and pointed the wrong way that it doesn't sound as loud as it does to others.

Also, no ear plugs can lead to hearing damage. Ask my tinnitus!

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

GutBomb posted:

It's gonna vary state to state like most traffic laws I would think. In MD, under § 21-1120, it's technically only illegal if both ears are occupied:

quote:

(a) Earplugs.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any private property that is used by the public in general in this State while the person is wearing over or in both ears earplugs.

(b) Headsets.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any private property that is used by the public in general in this State while the person is wearing over or in both ears a headset.

(c) Earphones.- A person may not drive a motor vehicle on any highway or on any private property that is used by the public in general in this State while the person is wearing over or in both ears earphones attached to a radio, tape player, or other audio device.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
https://www.justpark.com/creative/is-it-illegal/

Illegal to drive with headphones in Alaska, Washington, Minnesota, Illinois, Colorado, California, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.

Surprisingly, it's legal to drive barefoot in all states.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

The Mandingo posted:

https://www.justpark.com/creative/is-it-illegal/

Illegal to drive with headphones in Alaska, Washington, Minnesota, Illinois, Colorado, California, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.

Surprisingly, it's legal to drive barefoot in all states.

I'd rather drive barefoot than with sandals.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Earplugs make long drives so much nicer. They filter out engine + wind noise but let music through if you turn it up. Not really worth it for short drives within a city but on the highway it's great.

I started doing this after I realized my ears were ringing for a good 20 minutes after a shift driving a big diesel rig, but it helps in a car too.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
whats so bad about driving barefoot?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PCOS Bill posted:

Bright red bike, bright yellow helmet, loudish exhaust, could the drivers in Pittsburgh please notice me one day instead of a stream of idiots constantly trying to merge into my legs.

Change your behavior if this happens so often.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Long Francesco posted:

Nothing, as far as I can tell. I do it for most of the summer, because driving wearing flip-flops is pretty loving stupid; flip flops like to catch between the floor and the pedals or just catch the pedals etc. Driving feels much more tactile barefoot. I can heel-toe my TJ barefoot but not with shoes on.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have gotten pretty good at heel-toeing in my flip flops but usually just slip them off and drive barefoot.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Long Francesco posted:

you might get your foot caught under the pedal and maim it!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

Change your behavior if this happens so often.

Yeah...while I don't think I've ever agreed with nsaP before, I would say you are probably spending too much time in their blind spots and/or not being aggressive enough about getting in front of traffic.

Cars won't merge into you if there aren't any around to do it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't spend any time near other vehicles if there's an option not to, but I live in one of those city things where you really can't get away from it.

PCOS Bill posted:

A guy with a dog in his lap/car rear-ended me today in traffic.

It was just a tap, but still. I got to pet his dog for a few minutes while he gave me his insurance info, so that was nice.

Like this ^

This was in nearly bumper to bumper traffic. It had been at a standstill for like a minute when the guy decided "Nope time to change lanes" and jerked from the left lane into the right and hit me from the rear left corner. I was in front of him, he squeezed in front of the car that was about a half a car length behind me, and should have clearly seen my hatchback in front of him, as we'd both been sitting there waiting to move.

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 10, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah just go on roads with no other cars, jeez.

Being on two wheels really doesn't help. It's really great when bro trucks miss me with inches to spare on purpose, roll coal, and scream things like "get a car," "get off the road," and "gently caress you human being."

On a motorcycle at least you can go the same speed.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
EDIT: I hate it when i cant remember what goddamn forum i'm in.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
In Belgium we're no longer sharing the road with a specific driver. A few years ago a dashcam video was posted online of a driver in a black BMW brake-checking and nearly causing an accident. As it turned out, this was a kind of notorious driver: yesterday he was sentenced to 18 months in jail and his car(actually owned by his ex-girlfriend) was impounded. A total of 23 witnesses of his behavior showed up. In previous cases he called himself a victim of other people's driving. The dashcam footage(there's a few other videos of him) is part of the reason he was sentenced.

Unfortunately all I can find are Dutch articles about this, and as I'm at work I can't locate the original video but I'm fairly sure it was posted in this thread before. If you feel like Googling, the name "Curd V" should give some neat results.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Smoke posted:

In Belgium we're no longer sharing the road with a specific driver. A few years ago a dashcam video was posted online of a driver in a black BMW brake-checking and nearly causing an accident. As it turned out, this was a kind of notorious driver: yesterday he was sentenced to 18 months in jail and his car(actually owned by his ex-girlfriend) was impounded. A total of 23 witnesses of his behavior showed up. In previous cases he called himself a victim of other people's driving. The dashcam footage(there's a few other videos of him) is part of the reason he was sentenced.

Unfortunately all I can find are Dutch articles about this, and as I'm at work I can't locate the original video but I'm fairly sure it was posted in this thread before. If you feel like Googling, the name "Curd V" should give some neat results.

Christ what a dangerous oval office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S4-G8N8wWw

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wow, that video is crazy. Was he trying to get rear-ended for an insurance scam?

Driving like that is why I have a dashcam. Thankfully, I haven't seen anything nearly as crazy as that.

E: I love the term "wegpiraat" :yarr:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 10, 2016

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
There's no mentioning in any of the news articles about it if it's an attempt at insurance scamming, just assholish behavior and not wanting to accept other people passing him. He also repeatedly ordered a new slightly different license plate(at 2000 euros a pop), probably some attempt to make him harder to identify. He also didn't show up for any of the trials, calling in sick instead.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't spend any time near other vehicles if there's an option not to, but I live in one of those city things where you really can't get away from it.

Like this ^

This was in nearly bumper to bumper traffic. It had been at a standstill for like a minute when the guy decided "Nope time to change lanes" and jerked from the left lane into the right and hit me from the rear left corner. I was in front of him, he squeezed in front of the car that was about a half a car length behind me, and should have clearly seen my hatchback in front of him, as we'd both been sitting there waiting to move.

Alright my bad then just get a camera and start a youtube channel then! However there are many riders with 10+ years of experience that daily ride and do not have these issues but I'm sure your city is unique!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Smoke posted:

There's no mentioning in any of the news articles about it if it's an attempt at insurance scamming, just assholish behavior and not wanting to accept other people passing him. He also repeatedly ordered a new slightly different license plate(at 2000 euros a pop), probably some attempt to make him harder to identify. He also didn't show up for any of the trials, calling in sick instead.

Do Belgian courts work like American courts, where, if you don't show up, you automatically lose and the judge basically assigns you the stiffest penalty possible?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Safety Dance posted:

Do Belgian courts work like American courts, where, if you don't show up, you automatically lose and the judge basically assigns you the stiffest penalty possible?

Thats not how american criminal courts work. They just issue a warrant.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Snowcat is the worst.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nsaP posted:

Alright my bad then just get a camera and start a youtube channel then! However there are many riders with 10+ years of experience that daily ride and do not have these issues but I'm sure your city is unique!

People in Pittsburgh merge without looking like it's the law so maybe

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

To be fair it seems to be able to get through at least 6" of water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLZsP6bStDQ
Bear in mind the flooding to which plod are referring:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
These are the cars you share a river with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gas-PNbC64

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/10/bmw-swept-away-by-high-tide-in-putney-5743844/0

Metro posted:

18-year-old onlooker Ted Stones, who shot the footage, told Metro: ‘I saw this walking back to my house in Putney earlier about 2ish. A cautionary tale as to why you shouldn’t leave your car parked on the bank at high tide!

‘The police did come and call it in but i’m unsure as to the fate of the car or the owner!’

An indicator blinks helplessly as the vehicle drifts off in the video.

The Putney High Tide Club strikes again.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:allears:

If only "An indicator blinks helplessly as the vehicle drifts off" could fit into the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Locator posted:

As a native of Arizona, where our amazing roads are completely unappreciated, it always amazes me when I see pictures/videos of what they call roads in Jolly ol' England.

If you think those roads are bad, imagine doing them in run flat tyres and sport suspension like I have to. My traction control was going ballistic at times.

Whilst its vaguely reassuring to know that should I suffer a puncture I won't get stuck, its somewhat disconcerting when your wheels tramline and skip about trying to put you into a ditch at the slightest inkling of a lovely road surface. Can't wait to ditch the damned things.