Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Mr.Tophat posted:

Can you kill those people in line, or drop a grenade or something? If so, I am buying it.

Serious answer - You can make them feel grief by cutting in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Mr.Tophat posted:

Can you kill those people in line, or drop a grenade or something? If so, I am buying it.

No, but you could grief the hell out of everyone by running to the front of the line and trying to edge near enough to the laptop to disrupt the activation process or whatever.

I mean, hopefully it has been fixed by now.

But it made me sad that I couldn't play my shiny new game right away.

But I'm mostly an optimist, so I made myself feel better by admitting that was more gameplay than the SC whales will ever see of Star Citizen in their entire lifetimes.

EDIT: I misspelled "it"

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

D1E posted:

True story: I bought The Division and tried to play it on launch night. You have to "activate" your agent by typing on a laptop or some crap at this safe house in Brooklyn. There was a problem with the servers or the Internet or maybe they hired some former CIG devs or whatever and it wasn't working.

So everyone queued up in a line towards the desk and out the door into the hallway.

Like it was the loving DMV.

I have never seen a more realistic simulation in my entire life. People were trying to cut into the line, and some nerds were trying to be traffic cops and enforce order and discipline. People were type yelling to "wait in line rear end in a top hat!" and so on.

10/10 Game of the Year.

I haven't played it since.

A lot of the safe zones seem to be way to small for the amount of people playing right now. It's like Destinys tower but in a NYC studio apartment. The rest of the game is kinda fun.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

AHH FUGH posted:

Real question, is that a woman or a MtoF trans?

'Or'? She's both

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AHH FUGH posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EFyBWMViKw

Real question, is that a woman or a MtoF trans?

I don't want to seem like a loony liberal type, but what does it matter?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

The zerg now have ray weapons?!

missile versus gun it's ballistic versus energy, so uh, you know a mass driver cannon shoots SLUGS... is... same thing as a missile in that sense, where a laser cannon is the other category

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

D1E posted:

But it made me sad that I couldn't play my shiny new game right away.

Who could have foreseen this shocking turn of events!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I really know very little about star citizen to be honest. I clocked about 220 hours into Elite D before my gpu packed in last week so I've been looking around at older games to play in the meantime and through playing Freelancer I reminded myself of SC and found this thread and have read probably the last 50 pages and it's been hilarious... but this?!

Beet Wagon posted:

And he's only the tip of the loving iceberg, friend:
(warning, it's that loving cheetah video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNlWQ3s5Xc8

loving killed me.

i'm glad i ended up not putting money into SC when I had the choice and instead bought into Elite... poo poo SC makes Horizons look like a fully fledged game but it's enjoyable watching the trainwreck from afar and seeing poo poo like that video. i subscirbed for more.

is chris roberts really as much of an airhead as the posts in this thread make him seem? in contrast old braben seems like a saint.

this sounds like an SC vs Elite post but it's not really, just funny to contrast them because they're the closest thing to a competitor which might be a reason why CIG are left mostly unchecked.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

D_Smart posted:

That thread is an absolute loving Gold mine of hilarity. Also, someone needs to remind Ben that the feature is over here ---> https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

ben getting downvoted so hard i can't see his comments...wow good

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SomethingJones posted:

"A formula such as 1-1-4-8 would indicate that two parts beverage 1, one part beverage 4, and one part beverage 8 are required. The quality of the drink – displayed on the MixMaster – is determined by how accurately the portions were allocated. If the player isn’t happy with the quality of the drink they can simply press a key to discard it and start anew, but ships carry a limited supply of beverages so this tactic should be used sparingly."

I have to turn my computer off now and go outside, this is the dumbest loving thing I have read on the internet. What, is everyone 12 now who is buying this game for thousands of dollahs?

they have got to be trolling us at this point

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Soothing Vapors posted:

I don't know, if it was a stand alone indie game "Space Bartender" like you're working the Tattooine cantina or something, that might be interesting. Mixing particular drinks for different species, knowing repeat customers, I dunno it might be fun. Then again I enjoyed Cooking Mama, so who knows. :shrug:

But in this case, as a mini-game in Star Citizen, yeah it's loving stupid and it would have less depth even thank Cooking Mama did.

biglads posted:

Not as good as Tapper tbh

See this guy gets it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Soothing Vapors posted:

Not as good as Tapper tbh

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

this may be the pinnacle

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there is just a lot of unsaid and simply implied jokes in the picture, its perfect

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sundowner posted:

is chris roberts really as much of an airhead as the posts in this thread make him seem?
Yes.

quote:

in contrast old braben seems like a saint.
Though Ian Bell would tell you otherwise, the general consensus is that Braben is right proper gent. The contrast between he and Roberts is profound. As developers and business owners, they are almost reverse image portraits of one another... They call each other friends in public, and to some extent they are- but the rivalry is real, amplified by Roberts' strange mix of bravado and inferiority complex...

quote:

this sounds like an SC vs Elite post but it's not really, just funny to contrast them because they're the closest thing to a competitor which might be a reason why CIG are left mostly unchecked.
We contrast them often so don't worry about that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sunswipe posted:

I don't want to seem like a loony liberal type, but what does it matter?

it absolutely does not matter

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

If you're that far back you should soon come to my reply to D1E about Roberts' rambly/mumbly tendencies. They predate Star Citizen by more than a decade-- a fact Sandi remarked upon when describing her earliest encounters with him in 2003.

I think 10ftC is an especially unforgiving format for a rambler predisposed to compulsive tangent chasing. He feels compelled to offer 1000 words where 20 would suffice. The backers assume the verbosity means "wow they've really given a LOT of thought to this!" when it more likely is either Chris putting up a smokescreen or actually increasing the scope of the project in real time.

As an aside, it would be funny to have a little "engineering debt" counter imposed over each 10ftC video-- and each time he does that, it adds $500k+ and 3 more months to the ETA for the feature complete game. At this point the counter would need to start at $150M and a delivery date in 2022...

Yeah I have nearly caught up now and I did see your reply. It made me lol. I would still be interested in an early 10FTC though although I now suspect/am pretty drat sure it would be the usual word salad...

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Seems it bahah

quote:

Though Ian Bell would tell you otherwise, the general consensus is that Braben is right proper gent. The contrast between he and Roberts is profound. As developers and business owners, they are almost reverse image portraits of one another... They call each other friends in public, and to some extent they are- but the rivalry is real, amplified by Roberts' strange mix of bravado and inferiority complex...

Yeah I mean really, I've listened/watched some videos of Braben talk about not just Elite but game design in general and he just seems really into it like he has a passion for space and science and fundamentals whereas I just don't get that sense from Roberts at all... what games has he actually programmed a significant amount of? the closest approximation i can find is that he was sort of just there to push wing commander in the right direction a direction. Is he an ideasguy or is he an actual programmer/designer in the practical sense?

quote:

We contrast them often so don't worry about that.

That's okay then, I suppose considering what i've read in the last 50 pages i shouldn't have worried about knocking SC in favour of another albeit problematic game.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 10, 2016

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

You missed the bit where they mention raising your score by using magical space Vodkas from far off planetary moons. This poo poo is so unhinged it makes Scientology look tame.

The quotes from commandos dreaming of establishing prestige space airlines by serving passengers exotic drinks were hilarious.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

So why didn't you just SAY THAT?!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012
The drink mixing spacebus might just be the most ridiculous and insane idea in this whole ridiculous and insane saga.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

So why didn't you just SAY THAT?!

If he said that then Nikki would be able to ask what the list was. And then that would get awkward because, as we all know, if Ben is saying something it's probably a lie.

He's learning from the Chris Roberts school of public speaking. The problem is that he lacks the sheer chutzpah requires to pull it off.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to mix drinks for all 0 of the other people in my ship

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Cosmic Owl posted:

The drink mixing spacebus might just be the most ridiculous and insane idea in this whole ridiculous and insane saga.

There is always more and it is always worse.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Serious question: How do I make my posts better?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If he said that then Nikki would be able to ask what the list was. And then that would get awkward because, as we all know, if Ben is saying something it's probably a lie.

He's learning from the Chris Roberts school of public speaking. The problem is that he lacks the sheer chutzpah requires to pull it off.

i think its mostly because Chris is so crazy he is convinced whatever he says is true, whereas Ben will say the same dumb poo poo but he knows it isn't true, so it comes off as less honest

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Super whales have been waiting literally years to see anything about their ships, but no call needed for months and months on a vessel that's integral to a game due out in less than nine months.

Sure thing guys.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Cosmic Owl posted:

Wasn't that the same place where they said you also had to manually select IFE movies for each passenger and could also find new movies to play out in the field?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzpHaSQ4A0

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
AtV episode 2.22 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzpHaSQ4A0

e;fb

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 10, 2016

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-WdAwVg9c&feature=player_detailpage#t=62

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

They won't release the Idris because it would be a SQ42 spoiler - translation: we set the whole of SQ42 on a fooking Idris - if we released the ship we'd literally be releasing SQ42. Yes we are making GBS threads ourselves.

Typos

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm the recurring USB Connect/Disconnect sounds in the background

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Gravity_Storm posted:

They won't release the Idris because it would be a SQ42 spoiler - translation: we set the whole of SQ42 on a fooking Idris - if we released the ship we'd literally be releasing SQ42. Yes we are making GBS threads ourselves.

Typos

The spoiler is some kind of big explosion happens to the ship

"Well can't we just make a clean version of the ship for everyone to use?"

"What, are you loving kidding?" *goes back to masturbating*

(didn't add names cause it's funnier if you imagine your own CIG employees)

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The spoiler is that it's a bunch of separate set pieces that no one at CIG knows how to make into a functioning whole.

Surprise!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The spoiler is you must upgrade your account to platinum to view this message and picture

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Mirificus posted:

Wasn't that the same place where they said you also had to manually select IFE movies for each passenger and could also find new movies to play out in the field?

Yes it was.

Star citizen crazy talk posted:

Movies are even more distinctive. Every Passenger Transport has a MovieBank in its hardware room – next to the ICES blades – that can store a fixed number of movies and that makes them available to passengers via their ICES projector. Movies are classified as either classic or modern, and all have a popularity rating that denotes how attractive they are to travelers as an entertainment option. The popularity of a modern movie declines over time, so that reliance upon them means continually seeking out newer releases and updating your library. Classic movies retain their popularity in perpetuity, but finding one that’s extremely popular is much more difficult.

It opens so many questions, like how do you get new movies? and how do you find rare movies? will someone produce movies in the verse? It's just so insane

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 10, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Around the Verse: Hmmm... 2.3 talk.

NPC world animation set is discussed. And the very exciting ladder animations for the Starfarer! The shopping front with Casaba is getting heavy work-- and pricing of ship components is being formulated using real-world pricing analogues, because 'fidelity'...

(Boy that's something that merits additional explanation... Real currency or in-game? And why can't they make anything simple and say 'components should range between 5%-15% of total vehicle cost' or some other easy, defensible approach? Why turn this into a research project when they could just use some reasonable guidelines and move on to the next to-do?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Madcosby posted:

what the hell, do the people who are working on planetary landings, or drink mixing games, or ships enjoy having their work teased for a week and then never revealed again?
No one is working on those things. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Amarcarts posted:

Serious question: How do I make my posts better?

:petdog: cats

• Locked thread