Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

G0RF posted:

Around the Verse: Hmmm... 2.3 talk.

NPC world animation set is discussed. And the very exciting ladder animations for the Starfarer! The shopping front with Casaba is getting heavy work-- and pricing of ship components is being formulated using real-world pricing analogues, because 'fidelity'...

(Boy that's something that merits additional explanation... Real currency or in-game? And why can't they make anything simple and say 'components should range between 5%-15% of total vehicle cost' or some other easy, defensible approach? Why turn this into a research project when they could just use some reasonable guidelines and move on to the next to-do?

Real world pricing analogues of a quantum warp drive, because we know what all the components of a quantum warp drive are and have real world analogues of all of them. At no point in the development of these space ship components did it come down to "some dude making some poo poo up" so this is entirely sensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Dusty Lens posted:

The spoiler is that it's a bunch of separate set pieces that no one at CIG knows how to make into a functioning whole.

Surprise!

More like it's a non-functioning "movie set" vs the fidelitous, componentized & fully simulated ship the loyalists have in their hearts & minds. The Idris from Squadron 42 wasn't ever designed to be functional, but unless they wait until the last possible moment to show it & try to keep the two versions in sync to avoid exposing the massive ruse & letting people know that Squadron 42 is built on a much less Frankenstein'ed version of CryEngine with a commensurate drop in game system complexity. Just enough modifications to get Wing Commander: The Movie 2 out.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Well now we know why Star Marine was canceled.

You wanna hear the kicker?
Escape from Tarkov is using Unity.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Atreiden posted:

Yes it was.

It opens so many questions, like how do you get new movies? and how do you find rare movies? will someone produce movies in the verse? It's just so insane

hth

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Chalks posted:

Real world pricing analogues of a quantum warp drive, because we know what all the components of a quantum warp drive are and have real world analogues of all of them. At no point in the development of these space ship components did it come down to "some dude making some poo poo up" so this is entirely sensible.
Yeah - this is bonkers. Maybe they're just trying to create the rationale for jacking prices up beyond reasonability?

"Well, if you look at the cost of components of the F-35b, you'll find that..."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Atreiden posted:

Yes it was.

It opens so many questions, like how do you get new movies? and how do you find rare movies? will someone produce movies in the verse? It's just so insane

I like the "fixed" amount of movies. I would think that by the year 2900 whatever, storage capacity would be at the point this shouldn't even be an issue.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D1E posted:

I mean, hopefully it has been fixed by now.

There's nothing to "fix".
The reason it's happening is because the player characters actually have proper collision detection - only one person can get to the terminal at the time.
The others can't until that person moves.

It's both hilarious and kinda interesting, when you think about it.
Implement realistic collision detection => emergent real world behaviour :)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Atreiden posted:

Movies are even more distinctive. Every Passenger Transport has a MovieBank in its hardware room – next to the ICES blades – that can store a fixed number of movies and that makes them available to passengers via their ICES projector. Movies are classified as either classic or modern, and all have a popularity rating that denotes how attractive they are to travelers as an entertainment option. The popularity of a modern movie declines over time, so that reliance upon them means continually seeking out newer releases and updating your library. Classic movies retain their popularity in perpetuity, but finding one that’s extremely popular is much more difficult.

I'm going to be a bootlegger in SC. I'll be a baron of black market movie repros, fuelling sperg airline movie needs for a tidy sum.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

What's extra funny is that FuzzyModem himself is a painfully bad cinematographer & movie director himself. An AI of CIGs making would no doubt be more fidelitous than his manual efforts.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

G0RF posted:

Yeah - this is bonkers. Maybe they're just trying to create the rationale for jacking prices up beyond reasonability?

"Well, if you look at the cost of components of the F-35b, you'll find that..."

If you look at the F35, you can clearly see that in the real world military aircraft are hugely over budget and barely functional disasters. In are persuit of fidelity, we have used this real world analogy as the template for not only every ship in the game, but also every other feature too.

Oh Chris Roberts you really are the visionary we've all been waiting for.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

:golfclap:

fake e: Wait, where's the Ya Whoah Did Ehp Did Eh Woh Did?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My Flash Gordon Tangent is incomplete without this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z84-rRE

Chris! PAAAAARP!! Mush-mouth of the Universe!
Chris! PAAAAARP!! He'll scam every one of us!

"Seemingly there no reason for these
Extraordinary development delays (LET ME loving FINISH!)
(Where is Star Marine, Chris?)
Only Dr. Derek Smart, Ph.D.,
Has provided any explanation."

Chris! PAAAAARP!! He's a thumb-head!
"This is a normal part of development,
everything is fine."

Chris! PAAAAARP!! Promises the Impossible!

He smokes every cannabis!
Sells to every one of us!
He'll scam with a grabby hand
Every man, every woman, every child
With a mumbly Chris!

"Peter Gabriel, Chris Roberts approaching."
"What do you mean, 'Chris Roberts approaching'?
Open fire, all shitposts!
Dispatch .jpeg Idris to bring back his body!"

Chris! PAAAAARP!! "Roberts got 109M?"
Chris! PAAAAARP!! He'll scam ev'ry one of us!
Just a man with a man's chutzpah
He knows nothing 'bout games
But he can never be failed
No one but the dumb in head
Can pay for autism chariots, ya woaoh did ehp
"Chris, Chris I love you!
But we need 14 more years to save the game!"

Chirs!!!

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 10, 2016

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like the "fixed" amount of movies. I would think that by the year 2900 whatever, storage capacity would be at the point this shouldn't even be an issue.

You get the movies at the Space Blockbuster. It's in the Space Strip Mall right next to the Intergalactic Seed & Feed Garden Centre, two doors down from the Alien Ninja Martial Arts Dojo & across from the Black Hole Space Camera store where you can get your news van's Space Film developed & get new Space Lenses for your Space Camera.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Amarcarts posted:

Serious question: How do I make my posts better?

Yes.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

orcinus posted:

:golfclap:

fake e: Wait, where's the Ya Whoah Did Ehp Did Eh Woh Did?

It was on that one

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile at CIG.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

It was on that one

I thought Star Marine and the second seat were on that one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

runsamok posted:

You get the movies at the Space Blockbuster. It's in the Space Strip Mall right next to the Intergalactic Seed & Feed Garden Centre, two doors down from the Alien Ninja Martial Arts Dojo & across from the Black Hole Space Camera store where you can get your news van's Space Film developed & get new Space Lenses for your Space Camera.

If the movie I want to rent has already been checked out, will I feel grief?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

Are they really calling their documentary "The Making of Star Citizen"? That can't be right, because they're not making anything, nor will they. I suggest they call it: Waking Up From the Dream: How $150 Million Can't Overcome Staggering Ineptitude.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

People were saying that guy's head a few dozen pages ago was badly photoshopped. It's not :ohdear:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SelenicMartian posted:

People were saying that guy's head a few dozen pages ago was badly photoshopped. It's not :ohdear:

SCAMMED BUT HES STILL BUYIN

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe there's some hollywood loophole that if you make a documentary first no one can make one about your project

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

They're making it now Daniel Stark Simons because this is pretty much all you're getting.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizen - How $150 Million Can't Overcome Staggering Ineptitude

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

Poor Daniel Stark Simmons, when the reality hits him that the only reason they do anything is to cover their rear end in the impending crash it's going to hit him real hard.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

On my starliner, flying from port Olisar to the 4th stimpire, we will only show the best of Fuzzy Modems movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEasNqCmjmE

Colostomy Bag posted:

like so much else in star citizen, 900 years in the future is apparently behind WW II technology. If SC was a good game and thought out, they would have some lore explanation for why you have to manually fly ships, control a single turret or change the movie on. The could have gone the warhammer 40k route of looked at Dune, but as far as I know, there is no ingame reason for the almost complete lack of sophisticated AIs.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

SirPhoebos posted:

everything is fine."

With a mumbly Chris!

Chirs!!!

:gary: wonderful commando!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

I wasn't.
I just asked why his head is conical.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
The introduction is really focusing on the message to new backers. An improvement, given how bewildering and meandering some of their earlier videos could be. So maybe they're taking tips from us?

BoredGamer gets profiled-- because he's actually creating the new gamer tutorials CIG has neglected to create (they're too busy working up Space Plant videos). SMART MOVE, CIG. (I really think they're taking their tips from us now...) Put this guy on the payroll, CIG-- he's doing your job for you.

BoredGamer reiterates the importance for friendly interactions within the community. Good for him, and them.

Cherie Helberg gets a segment, but man, having to trot out CIG's system lore? That's a thankless gig. She'd fare better on RtV in the give and take with other people.

Overall-- it does seem like they're moving away from the more insular stuff of last year. No 'Empire Reports' and scripted comedy bits. There's less to make fun of, so that's a plus for them and a minus for us. (But hey, at least they're learning?)

:vince:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

One of the best things about ED is that when you sell your ship components you get the full price back and for ships you get 90% back, this makes super nice to try different stuff. Something tells me SC will have a terrible system instead :v:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Just stumbled upon this (ELITE):

Rotating ring of station.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AtV is visually dull. Ben barely moves, I think he's caught up with the thread.

Have one more of this guy

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

everything is fine."

With a mumbly Chris!

Chirs!!!

:five:

Paging ewe2

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Just stumbled upon this (ELITE):

Rotating ring of station.

Once again ED trails behind SC. Those are static images on the station model, not fully modelled and harvestable crops. What a joke.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

orcinus posted:

I wasn't.
I just asked why his head is conical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_cranial_deformation

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Atreiden posted:

On my starliner, flying from port Olisar to the 4th stimpire, we will only show the best of Fuzzy Modems movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEasNqCmjmE

like so much else in star citizen, 900 years in the future is apparently behind WW II technology. If SC was a good game and thought out, they would have some lore explanation for why you have to manually fly ships, control a single turret or change the movie on. The could have gone the warhammer 40k route of looked at Dune, but as far as I know, there is no ingame reason for the almost complete lack of sophisticated AIs.

They're promising 50 AI crewmates to staff your capital ships. Sophisticated AI in the present day? Sure. 900 years in the future? Not so much. Nothing about the Wing Commander IP is good. Chris, please take you and your autistic followers, grab a handful of 80286 machines, and drive off into the desert and build a little community so you can all circle-jerk about the 90s and leave the rest of us the gently caress alone, please. Seeing what this cult is trying to do to gaming is like watching thousands of cryogenically frozen people from the 1850's getting thawed out and starting to work full-time to revert everything back to how they remember it being. Guys, we've moved on. gently caress off.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

AtV is visually dull. Ben barely moves, I think he's caught up with the thread.

Have one more of this guy

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittal_crest

Maybe he's a heavy chewer.
I think i'll call him Chewie from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TTerrible posted:

Once again ED trails behind SC. Those are static images on the station model, not fully modelled and harvestable crops. What a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_N-nenKhvQ

Terrible fidelity

• Locked thread