Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The papers are saying the raiders have signed paulo for next year. Stuart must either be cheating the cap or has unlocked third party deals for canberra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The papers are saying the raiders have signed paulo for next year. Stuart must either be cheating the cap or has unlocked third party deals for canberra

Either that, or Canberra are taking a page right out of the Storm's playbook.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vagabundo posted:

Either that, or Canberra are taking a page right out of the Storm's playbook.
He already said cheating the cap

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

bowmore posted:

He already said cheating the cap

Me am read words good. :downs:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

He's a Warriors fan, reading isn't his strong suit. :v:

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

iajanus posted:

He's an NRL fan, reading isn't his strong suit. :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Unfortunately we're all too good at reading police reports and animal cruelty accusations :(

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
I'm all about pictures and videos.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/new-salary-cap-breach-claims-unknown-to-nrl-reports/news-story/6434f054326d47af28cd50546c6458a4

quote:

CONFIDENTIAL internal documents from the Parramatta Eels NRL club reportedly show the board and senior executives have overseen a culture of flouting salary cap rules by rewarding players’ third-party sponsors with corporate boxes.

The Daily Telegraph reported on Wednesday that board minutes from 2014 show rewards for third parties, such as free and fully catered corporate hospitality, were discussed openly at the highest levels of the club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

Paramatta are in heaps of poo poo.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain to me how third party payments work in an ideal world? There's a salary cap designed I believe to provide an element of equity so we don't get a Storm/Broncos GF every year, but third party payments seem to let clubs largely work around that. Is it a restraint of trade thing?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

In theory the nrl doesnt want to stand in the way of players seeking out independent sponsorship work. The salary cap shouldnt stop thurston being able to advertise hats for example if hatworld offered him a deal independently of the NQC.

However, in practice well connected clubs organise tpas to get around the salary cap. This is not supposed to be done but if a club is run well and not run like the eels its very hard to prove this is going on.

I want to see some transparency. Phil gould claimed that 5 clubs have ~70 percent of tpa registered with the nrl. I dont necessarily want to take gould at his word but that would suggest a lopsided system because tpa are just extra salary cap now.

Clubs like canberra and newcastle are punished because of geographical circumstances. The knights have issues but the raiders are a fairly wealthy club. We would probably do better in a free for all. That said it appears that Stuart has more tpa connections than the club has had in the past.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gorbash posted:

Can someone explain to me how third party payments work in an ideal world? There's a salary cap designed I believe to provide an element of equity so we don't get a Storm/Broncos GF every year, but third party payments seem to let clubs largely work around that. Is it a restraint of trade thing?

I think it came about because of dudes who used to be on the fringes only making like 30k a year. So they could at least supplement their income.

The idea as said above is that it's OK for dudes to get sponsorships outside of the club. The danger is when Paramatta do what they're doing which is poo poo like having Joe blogs of Joe's whorehouse paying Hayne 10k and then getting free corporate box tickets with full catering etc. The argument is that all clubs do it out the rear end and only the dumb ones get caught.

I think other clubs have been caught doing poo poo like having Joe schmo who's on the board of the club and owns a Real estate development company have Ryan Schmo give player X an apartment for free or at a massive discount. or Have the club give Ryan Schmo a no show "consulting" gig where he makes 50k a year but he gives 40k a year to Player Y to turn up and 'motivate' his office.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Basically it's a giant rort to keep the powerful clubs well positioned despite the salary cap supposedly evening out the field.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Knights get hosed the worst, we are apparently close to 1 to 2 million behind other teams in talent because of third party deals.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Basically it's a giant rort to keep the powerful clubs well positioned despite the salary cap supposedly evening out the field.

ding ding ding we have a winner

And the Tigers are pretty hosed with 3PDs because our office staff are exactly as retarded as our players are.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

bowmore posted:

The Knights get hosed the worst, we are apparently close to 1 to 2 million behind other teams in talent because of third party deals.

On the bright side the Knights produce a lot of cheap fantasy players.

Incidentally Nathan Brown isn't loving around and dropped Snowden from the team after giving him 28 minutes last week. Snowden was pretty much the only person who seemed to give a gently caress last season? Bit of a departure from someone like Uate or Gidley playing shithouse for years and never being dropped

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I didn't do as badly as I expected in the first round of fantasy league, although I did still come dead last. Time to improve!

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
That wasn't a bad hit on Tolman.

I started with Segeyaro and Lichaa in my fantasy team. That went well.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tolman gone for the rest of the night! :(

13 points is quite a bit less than I was expecting from him this round

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

bowmore posted:

Tolman gone for the rest of the night! :(

13 points is quite a bit less than I was expecting from him this round

Will be nice and cheap in a few weeks time :getin:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

After making such a song and dance about it last week I literally remembered two minutes ago I could be watching the game for free on my phone whilst I'm here getting drunk at my wife's soccer game. Great field goal attempt, Jamie.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Reynolds got his ribs rearranged by Whare, couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Reynolds got his ribs rearranged by Whare, couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

Best thing was it was completely legal.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Why did sterlo think a man picking the ball up in an offside position on purpose was an accidental offside lol

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Why did sterlo think a man picking the ball up in an offside position on purpose was an accidental offside lol

It rhymes with "commentators on Channel nine are poo poo and know nothing" and starts with a C.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I expect more of sterlo. He had to get corrected by rabs. Thats rock bottom

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Vossy's having a good call btw :smugdog::pipe:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Vossy's having a good call btw :smugdog::pipe:

Annoyingly the coverage in the free phone app thing is Nine's.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Poor penrith

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Soward tears best tears.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Soward tears best tears.

Not as good as Reynolds tears, but I'll take em.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Soward tears are pretty sweet, I'll agree.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Widnes just scored a nice try against the run of play, Hull FC the stronger team by far though, they look like they can just muscle the game away. Come on Widnes.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

And again! Widnes have some chops in attack. Brown made a really intelligent cross field kick to the opposite wing.

Odd game this, Widnes, in defense, look like they're *just* holding on. This third try for them is really the only one Hull should have stopped. Fun! WID 14 - 6 HULL

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 10, 2016

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011
Widnes making the super league look even easier than the NRL teams did...

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Kaglicious posted:

Widnes making the super league look even easier than the NRL teams did...

Haha, Hull have no idea wtf.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

cpaf posted:

On the bright side the Knights produce a lot of cheap fantasy players.

Incidentally Nathan Brown isn't loving around and dropped Snowden from the team after giving him 28 minutes last week. Snowden was pretty much the only person who seemed to give a gently caress last season? Bit of a departure from someone like Uate or Gidley playing shithouse for years and never being dropped

So it's not just Snowden because Brown has also dumped Sione Mata'utia to reserve grade

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Christ just start the game already this abortion of a Monty Betham preshow is killing me

edit: it's a loving shambles, like they prepared for a 5 minute show then suddenly found themselves having to fill a whole half hour

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 11, 2016

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That kick by robson was....no good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Lolohea lost that cold. Typical referee bias towards the warriors

• Locked thread