Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

In Broforce you get extra lives by rescuing trapped bros. Your current character will be replaced by another random character but your stock of extra lives will go up by 1.

If you've already destroyed the cage holding a bro, your dead body can still "rescue" them if you get blown into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

ChocNitty posted:

In Saints Row 4 there's a mission where the game turns into a 16 bit side scrolling streets of rage type game, and it still retains your completely customized character in 16 bit form, down to the color of the font on my tshirt. Pretty neat touch.

This is my favorite mission and the music during it is loving awesome.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Mar 10, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

jojoinnit posted:

So I just discovered you can hold down the right mouse button to swing your arm around while you have the pip boy up in Fallout 4.

Is there any reason for it to be there? It seems an awful lot of extra effort for something completely pointless.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

scamtank posted:

Is there any reason for it to be there? It seems an awful lot of extra effort for something completely pointless.

Almost as though it's a little thing in a game?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The best Saints Row 4 mission is when you have to rescue your vice president, literally Keith David, with the help of Roddy Piper in a level taken right out of They Live. Including recreating the alleyway fight between the two of them

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Thin Privilege posted:

This is my favorite mission and the music during it is loving awesome.

It was all the other touches other than the gameplay itself that were my favorite little things, especially the Presidential Seal with the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" quote from Josh Birk at the very start. Oh to be an arcade rat in the late 80's/early 90's again... :f5h::f5:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlNyPDp6ACc&t=130s

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Mar 10, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Babe Magnet posted:

It's just your character rendered at a super low resolution and then scaled up without any aliasing and it's a clever technique and it owns

They also redid all the animations to be super janky and exaggerated to mimic sprite animations, it's great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fumaofthelake posted:

If you get a spear stuck in the wall as Brodator, you can jump on it.

When you clear a level it cycles the light in the back of the remote through red, white, and blue.

Your melee attack becomes a high-five button if you're in range of a friendly.

Broforce is pretty alright.

After a particularly tough level I got to the chopper and it blew up on the way out. Area still liberated. :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Path of Exile is a fun game with a lot of really silly and cool interactions.

Explanation time:

The guy in this video is using a few interesting things together. He's using the cyclone skill (think Diablo 2 Barbarian Whirlwind) with a knockback effect, but also with a unique pair of gloves that reverses knockbacks. With the new content that released a week ago, you can also get an ability that makes all your hits stun an enemy at full health. And he's also got a specific skill that makes it impossible for you to do damage directly but allows you to use extra totems to cast spells or shoot things as a tradeoff. So he can pull enemies, including bosses, and keep them permanently stunned inside his whirlwind since he's doing no damage, and eventually he stacks so many enemies that the game crashes the instance.

tl:dr in Path of Exile you can bring enemies along for a ride and it's silly and fun :kimchi:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Babe Magnet posted:

It's just your character rendered at a super low resolution and then scaled up without any aliasing and it's a clever technique and it owns

And the voice acting for it is all low-bitrate short lines, delivered shittily. That was, according to the devs, a fun day in the recording studio.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cleretic posted:

And the voice acting for it is all low-bitrate short lines, delivered shittily. That was, according to the devs, a fun day in the recording studio.

"Okay, say that again, but worse please."

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RBA Starblade posted:

After a particularly tough level I got to the chopper and it blew up on the way out. Area still liberated. :v:

There's a dedicated flex button

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Cleretic posted:

I had to go back and look this up. Gotta replay this sometime for the heck of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fKr767Cftc
Here's someone's playthrough of the 16-bit segment.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
Awesomenauts has custom theme songs and killstreak versions of each for every single one of the 26 characters, as well as full-blown remixes for some of the purchasable alternate skins. The former plays after selecting your character while loading in, and the latter goes on loop once you kill 3 enemies without dying, then stops when you die or after about 5 minutes, but restarts if you kill 3 more.

Sort of equivalent to if the same thing happened for every playable class in Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch. I think it's pretty cool.

Actually, the songs are so in-character that some of their theme songs are loving obnoxious to a fault. I heard Ksenia's and Nibbs' themes were used in Guantanamo Bay.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

RBA Starblade posted:

If you're playing co-op and only one player grabs the chopper (if you don't jump at roughly the same time one will get blown up when the level starts exploding) and other player doesn't get the red, white, and blue lights because they are a dead loser.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

scamtank posted:

Nth Doctor posted:

Almost as though it's a little thing in a game?

This is the exact conversation I had with my gf when I discovered it. Just a cool feature that serves no actual purpose afaict other than "oh that's cool".

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I think it's just to show off the fancy new pipboy, as they actually went to the effort of showing your characters hand pushing some of the buttons, and having a place to load tapes and such.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The pip boy also has a reflective screen and a light layer of dust in FO4 so if you are for some reason at an angle where light is reflecting off of it you can just turn your guy's arm a bit and be able to see just fine. Of course, this has no practical use because you can just leave the pip boy screen, walk 1 step, and go back into the menu, but it's cool anyway.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Samfucius posted:

In Broforce one of the Arnold bros is the Terminator (Brominator I think) and he has the minigun from T2. Normally the minigun pushes you backwards, with escalating force as long as you hold down the fire button. If you use his special, he sheds his skin and goes full T-800, and for a brief time becomes strong enough to walk forward while firing.

That's not my favorite little thing about him. That would be the fact that if you are playing by yourself (or your friends are all dead) the fastest way to beat a level, bar none, is to face backwards and hold down the fire button while constantly jumping. It is the single fastest way to move in the game, bar none, and by several orders of magnitude. You can beat levels in under 30 seconds, and unless you get crazy unlucky the enemies won't even have time to say "what?" as you soar above them at Mach 2, spewing lead into the atmosphere.

I never realized this. Time for something new to do.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

CJacobs posted:

The pip boy also has a reflective screen and a light layer of dust in FO4 so if you are for some reason at an angle where light is reflecting off of it you can just turn your guy's arm a bit and be able to see just fine. Of course, this has no practical use because you can just leave the pip boy screen, walk 1 step, and go back into the menu, but it's cool anyway.

Can you interact with your Pip-Boy while it's tilted? I don't think so, but it's been a long while since I played it.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I was writing up a post for the PYF Dragging This Game Down Thread, and thought of something that I wasn't really sure whether to put this in here or the PYF Glitch/Bug thread, as I believe this is sort of based on what was initially an oversight in the way character endings coupled, but here seems more appropriate. Anyway, in F*R*I*E*N*D*S True Friends you basically have to advance character plots to a point where they sync up with one or more other character plots in order to advance scenes, and to ultimately trigger true endings. Like meeting the requirement for a Joey/Chandler or a Monica/Ross path would require finishing both involved character lines and triggering relevant flags along the way. For the most part, opting out of a friendship path puts you into a different one, but not always.

Basically, the majority of endings are centred around two character paths, leaving you with a probable minimum of 3 endings that plays out on a regular play-through, but a few lines end up with triple, four, or all six lines synced. None of the triple lines involve Joey, or Phoebe or Rachel, which means that they can end up "alone". In Joey's case, this is resolved with a blurb about how he finally gets some taste of success as an actor and lands his own sitcom, which then bombs. A pretty accurate piece of fortune telling by a game released nearly 10 years prior to the actual Joey sitcom.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

It also oddly predicted rachel being upsatged by angelina jolie and Chandlers coke habit

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I could never get past that weird dance level with Monica. And if you failed that then Ross couldn't end up going with Phoebe to her dads and Chandler would have to work at Central Perk. I quit that game so many drat times out of frustration.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
How is there three people in a row talking about this game as though it were common knowledge

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:ssh:I'm pretty sure it's a silly in-joke

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I could never get past that weird dance level with Monica. And if you failed that then Ross couldn't end up going with Phoebe to her dads and Chandler would have to work at Central Perk. I quit that game so many drat times out of frustration.

This was actually a weird hardware quirk caused by the slipshod development of the game. The game was in development hell for a while since Warner Bros. was attempting to have the whole game taken care of by an outsourced Ukranian development team named К3, which was a basement-programming affair known mostly for unofficial Ukrainian ports. К3 eventually ran into issues with budgetary misappropriation from a handful of members, and missed deadlines while programming these interactive segments of the game, which lead to their disbanding and sticking Warner Bros. with a half-finished F*R*I*E*N*D*S game that they needed to release sooner, rather than later.

WB shopped it to a few development studios in the US without much success, until a Canadian development team by the name of Artech offered to tackle the game. The issue they ran into with the interactive segments stems from К3's hardware choice: half the programming staff didn't interact with in-game implementation of code, instead opting to have others QA their work through a hack-job of IBM PowerPCs and Дубна 48К's, which were ZX spectrum knockoffs that utilized tapes instead of floppies. Employees on the 48Кs would just hack out what they could, put onto tape, put into a soviet tape-reader on the other PCs, and tested from there.

The issues that Artech discovered through this shitpile of development were numerous, but the dancing games (The Monica dance level, as well as the Phoebe cafe performance level which utilizes the same mechanics) were especially bad because the timing was actually tied to the processor of the computer, in this case the 48К, but once Artech got a handle on things it became apparent that the graphics and FMVs played out at normal speed, while the timing for button input was actually progressing at double the speed, since 48Кs had, in essence, a 1.9MHz processor.

Artech eventually managed to mitigate this, but stutters in the FMVs and graphics were frequent with their workarounds, so timing was still finicky at best. This, among other things, did eventually get hammered out in fan-patches (Such as the F*R*I*E*N*D*S: The One With The True Friends Project) but are unfortunately still remnants of an unfortunate development history.

On a lighter note, Artech's work on this game eventually led to them taking up the mantle on F*R*I*E*N*D*S: The One With All The Trivia, as well as being approached in the meantime to develop the all-encompassing Seinfield: A Game About Nothing, although they declined and it was ultimately developed by Hothead Games.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Is this a hidden sequel to Barkley: Shut up and Jam: Gaiden

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

death .cab for qt posted:

This was actually a weird hardware quirk caused by the slipshod development of the game. The game was in development hell for a while since Warner Bros. was attempting to have the whole game taken care of by an outsourced Ukranian development team named К3, which was a basement-programming affair known mostly for unofficial Ukrainian ports. К3 eventually ran into issues with budgetary misappropriation from a handful of members, and missed deadlines while programming these interactive segments of the game, which lead to their disbanding and sticking Warner Bros. with a half-finished F*R*I*E*N*D*S game that they needed to release sooner, rather than later.

WB shopped it to a few development studios in the US without much success, until a Canadian development team by the name of Artech offered to tackle the game. The issue they ran into with the interactive segments stems from К3's hardware choice: half the programming staff didn't interact with in-game implementation of code, instead opting to have others QA their work through a hack-job of IBM PowerPCs and Дубна 48К's, which were ZX spectrum knockoffs that utilized tapes instead of floppies. Employees on the 48Кs would just hack out what they could, put onto tape, put into a soviet tape-reader on the other PCs, and tested from there.

The issues that Artech discovered through this shitpile of development were numerous, but the dancing games (The Monica dance level, as well as the Phoebe cafe performance level which utilizes the same mechanics) were especially bad because the timing was actually tied to the processor of the computer, in this case the 48К, but once Artech got a handle on things it became apparent that the graphics and FMVs played out at normal speed, while the timing for button input was actually progressing at double the speed, since 48Кs had, in essence, a 1.9MHz processor.

Artech eventually managed to mitigate this, but stutters in the FMVs and graphics were frequent with their workarounds, so timing was still finicky at best. This, among other things, did eventually get hammered out in fan-patches (Such as the F*R*I*E*N*D*S: The One With The True Friends Project) but are unfortunately still remnants of an unfortunate development history.

On a lighter note, Artech's work on this game eventually led to them taking up the mantle on F*R*I*E*N*D*S: The One With All The Trivia, as well as being approached in the meantime to develop the all-encompassing Seinfield: A Game About Nothing, although they declined and it was ultimately developed by Hothead Games.

My research into cut content revealed there's a little bit in there stemming from this whole thing. There was a planned plotline about Joey volunteering at a soup kitchen and accidentally flirting with a homeless woman who starts stalking him; I don't really know how expansive it is, but we figured out it was there because one of Phoebe's scenes at the basketball court references it internally.

Turns out we don't actually know where it went, only that it was probably an accident that it's gone; all evidence suggests that it just disappeared one day during the transfer of data. The best assumption is that one of the testers ran off with it, but since nothing conclusive has ever come up we don't know. The Everybody Loves Raymond RPG from a few years later has a pretty similar story for a sidequest, but there's no crossover whatsoever between the К3 team and the Japanese house that made that game (most of who now work for Monolith, surprisingly) so that might be coincidence. Apparently a Friends fansite from back around 2003 claimed to have found the tape the lost plotline was on, but I can't get the Wayback Machine to pull that up, and I can't see reference to it on the Friends Wikia or the Friends Spinoff Wikia.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The wikia is almost as garbage as the game. It says you have to dodge 5 muffins during the interactive portion of Phoebe's performance, but there's only ever two thrown. Maaaaybe 3 if you brought Gunther from the cab, but I never bothered testing that since having him at The Perk triggered Rachel's hat quest too early. Not to mention it says you can bring Ross on Monica and Joey's apartment cleaning section even though he would have had to of been with Rachel for Chandler's play already to even trigger the cleaning event. How you guys managed to figure out the ending pairings is beyond me. It was like all the worst things about Sierra adventure games but with random bad FMVs and absolutely terrible (even for the time) controls.

Did they ever say why Monica's sprite always looked like it was wearing glasses?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

The wikia is almost as garbage as the game. It says you have to dodge 5 muffins during the interactive portion of Phoebe's performance, but there's only ever two thrown. Maaaaybe 3 if you brought Gunther from the cab, but I never bothered testing that since having him at The Perk triggered Rachel's hat quest too early. Not to mention it says you can bring Ross on Monica and Joey's apartment cleaning section even though he would have had to of been with Rachel for Chandler's play already to even trigger the cleaning event. How you guys managed to figure out the ending pairings is beyond me. It was like all the worst things about Sierra adventure games but with random bad FMVs and absolutely terrible (even for the time) controls.

Did they ever say why Monica's sprite always looked like it was wearing glasses?

It's hard to tell because of how low rez the sprites themselves are, but the fact that her and Ross have the same skintone leads me to believe they probably based the spritework based off this image of her from the series:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In Stardew Valley the town-shopkeepers will randomly wander off from their shops during open hours and do other stuff. In contrast, Jojo Mart workers will stay at work during the entire day. :ussr:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Xoidanor posted:

In Stardew Valley the town-shopkeepers will randomly wander off from their shops during open hours and do other stuff. In contrast, Jojo Mart workers will stay at work during the entire day. :ussr:

The Joja Mart is also open later, and charges a little extra for the seeds it sells. I think it's an effective way of simulating the way big businesses evaporate smaller ma-and-Pierre shops. I'm glad there's room for mods in Stardew Valley, because I think the two shops could be made more elaborate with a few extra ideas. Like, if the smaller shop put some expensive seeds on sale for a day, and then Joja Mart sells theirs at an even deeper discount just to steal the sales. There's a cutscene that kind of hits on this topic.

I'm really enjoying my time with Stardew Valley, and I think my favorite little thing is the hearts that pop out of the animals when you interact with them. There's no animation of a pet or a hug, just a heart in a word bubble, but man if that doesn't make me smile. I don't think it affects anything in game, but it's really important to me that I pet my dog and stroke my cochickens each day. :henget:

Also, if you plant flowers next to a bee hive it changes the type of honey to a more lucrative artisanal good. Pretty neat, if you ask me.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm really enjoying my time with Stardew Valley, and I think my favorite little thing is the hearts that pop out of the animals when you interact with them. There's no animation of a pet or a hug, just a heart in a word bubble, but man if that doesn't make me smile. I don't think it affects anything in game, but it's really important to me that I pet my dog and stroke my cochickens each day. :henget:

That's how it was in Harvest Moon, too. Glad to see they kept some things from the spiritual predecessor.

In Harvest Moon, this affected egg/milk/wool/whatever quality and, more importantly made your dog run after you and want to play with you for longer. :3:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

It does affect them, it increases their number of hearts which makes them produce higher quality goods (like large eggs vs normal eggs) more often. You want to click on each animal every day.

It doesn't seem to do anything for the cat or dog though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Digirat posted:

It does affect them, it increases their number of hearts which makes them produce higher quality goods (like large eggs vs normal eggs) more often. You want to click on each animal every day.

It doesn't seem to do anything for the cat or dog though.

Wow, Stardew Valley really is just Harvest Moon

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My interest in Just Cause 3 was waning until I unlocked doge mode. It really breathes some new life into the game. Suddenly, blowing poo poo up is fresh and fun again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

My interest in Just Cause 3 was waning until I unlocked doge mode. It really breathes some new life into the game. Suddenly, blowing poo poo up is fresh and fun again.

Well poo poo...I love games that are made to be fun. It sounds weird, but I think a lot of developers forget that games are supposed to be entertainment.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Nostradingus posted:

Uh, could you explain what that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SinineSiil posted:

Uh, could you explain what that is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjqXh12kFfY