Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Explosionface posted:

So I found my copy and plugged it in to see where I am and I was on the money. The real reason I'm posting about it is that I had forgotten the names I used in this playthrough because I'd reached the "who gives a poo poo" stage of character naming. The boy is named MegaDude (a throwaway name I use all the time) and the dog is Sir Barkington.

So I went ahead and played a bit from my save file and boy, do I have some thoughts.

1) I picked a really bad time to stop playing. It's a halfway involved dungeon and I was through most of it, but even using a guide, it took a while to finally finish it off.
2) Holy hell, I can't hit anything! There's a larger than expected delay between hitting attack and actually attacking, so it's easy to get whacked by a bad guy during your animation. It goes double if you're attacking up or down and much harder to judge distance.
3) I really don't remember this game consisting entirely of mazes, but I think I'm just in a rough spot. A maze every now and then is okay, but three out of four places I've been so far are mazes.
4) It's a little annoying having people as save points. "I need to hurry up and save my game so I can gently caress off and do real life stuff! Now which of the 50 NPCs in this city is my save point?"

So it's still fun, but it's definitely an RPG you don't want to leave idle for a year+ before going back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Explosionface posted:

3) I really don't remember this game consisting entirely of mazes, but I think I'm just in a rough spot. A maze every now and then is okay, but three out of four places I've been so far are mazes.

I do :suicide: The latter half of the game really picks up on the mazes.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
And you know what's oh-so-fun to represent in screenshots while you're trying to be interesting and engaging?

:shepicide:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Leavemywife posted:

And you know what's oh-so-fun to represent in screenshots while you're trying to be interesting and engaging?

:shepicide:
Find a big map on the internet, post it on the beginning of the update, tell players to reference it back by drawing in numbers ("This screenshot shows position 12 on the big map, where we're ambushed by spider monsters..."). Not even joking, I think that might help a LOT. If people don't like cross-referencing the map, they don't have to.

EDIT: Hell, MSPaint a path through the map and post screenshot highlights.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Simply Simon posted:

Find a big map on the internet...

I found a great place, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head, so it has to wait until I'm home. Hit me up tonight if you want it, Leave.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

Find a big map on the internet, post it on the beginning of the update, tell players to reference it back by drawing in numbers ("This screenshot shows position 12 on the big map, where we're ambushed by spider monsters..."). Not even joking, I think that might help a LOT. If people don't like cross-referencing the map, they don't have to.

EDIT: Hell, MSPaint a path through the map and post screenshot highlights.
That's still going to be difficult for at least two mazes in the game.
This game has BS maze difficulty sometimes :shepicide:

That would work for most of the others though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember having to map out a certain maze eventually because it was just bonkers. I'm almost kinda sad I don't have that graph paper map anymore.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Does anyone remember the glitch where if you get a weapon level to three (or it might have been four. Possibly as low as two?) and once you charge it up to that minimum level and dash you pretty much get infinite dash until you stop holding down the button? Real handy.

EDIT: Editing out some spoilers.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Blackray Jack posted:

Does anyone remember the glitch where if you get a weapon level to three (or it might have been four. Possibly as low as two?) and once you charge it up to that minimum level and dash you pretty much get infinite dash until you stop holding down the button? Real handy.

I think you could do it at weapon level 2 - when you start running, you lose half of your weapon %/charge, so starting with a full lvl 2 charge just brings you down to 100%, where you start charging again.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I think you could do it at weapon level 2 - when you start running, you lose half of your weapon %/charge, so starting with a full lvl 2 charge just brings you down to 100%, where you start charging again.

Nope, just at level 3. This is far more useful on the dog since he has a much faster running speed.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Blackray Jack posted:

MaskedHuzzah posted:

It is most definitely Lv.3 (300%) requirement, since a full-charge at level 2 (200%) brings you down to about 90%, which, for as long as you're holding the charge button, will decrease slower than just running normally. It doesn't take half of what you have, either, but it only seems that way since running normally brings you down to about 50%, and a 2nd-level charge brings you down just under 100%. At stage 3, it brings you down to about 180% (if it were half it'd be much lower), and you'll continue charging the gauge. It won't fill all the way, but you're gaining more than spend running when >100%

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Seven: Sic Semper Evello Mortem Vipera

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we chatted with Fire Eyes a bit and then visited Strong Heart, who gave us a free collar for Zach. Today, we're going to take a step toward figuring out the Volcano problem, so let's boogie.

We're heading north out of the village this time.

Without the Spider's Claw, this is as far as we could have gotten.

However, armed with our axe, we can cut through the short grass like it's nothing! And kill an unfortunate mosquito at the same time.

These new flowers are called Carniflowers.

They have 30 HP, so they're easy to take down, but only drop 6 EXP and 7 Talons for doing so.

They have a special attack that we'll see in a minute; it's basically their defining feature.

There are a few gourds scattered about, too, but none of them hold anything that would kill us if we missed it.

No reason for this shot, other than showing off how fuckin' brutal Zach can be.

Thirty-four castings of Hard Ball might seem like a lot, buuuuuuut...

There's a boss coming up that I'll want this stronger for, and I'll need more than thirty-four castings to get it that powerful.

I toss my balls around plenty this update.

...I could have phrased that better.

However, I'm getting to be an expert ball-tosser.

Alright, so in this shot, you can see the flower readying to attack Zach.

And then it goddamn eats him.

Whoever it eats will be spat out after a little bit, but you can force them out sooner by smacking the plant a good one. It'll deal tick damage over time, like poison does.

This reminds me, has anyone here read The Ruins? I thought it was an alright book, and one of those that is just about perfect for a long car ride or a flight.

The movie was kind of silly, but with a premise about blood-sucking vines, how can it be anything but?

I'd say give it a shot if you'd like. I enjoyed it well enough.

Hey, 12 Talons. Neat. We'll need those to buy Clay and Crystals.

There was a Carniflower here. It's gone now.

And a mosquito who got his poo poo wrecked by a Hard Ball.

Nectar, if you forgot, restores 120 HP to whoever it's used on.

Getting shots for this game has been kind of a challenge. In the other games I've done, turn-based RPGs, it was easy enough to show new enemies when they came and to ignore battles otherwise. Here, enemies are pretty liberally placed, so it's not often I'm going to have a shot without them around or me trying to kill them before they kill me. It's kind of a shift from what I usually do, and it's throwing me off a little bit.

I'm not sure why some people choose to live outside of the village; I'm not seeing any real benefit here.

Then again, having two armor shops in the same tiny village might not be good for business. 'course, living past the more dangerous monsters probably isn't, either, so I'm just going to quit thinking about it.

If we had somehow missed the Mammoth Guard or the Shell Hat, we could buy them here. As it stands, the Shell Plate is the only new bit of equipment.

A small defensive boost, but not one that I'm going to turn down.

We also snag a total of four parts Wax here, so all in all, this trip was worth it.

And since I'd nearly forgotten, after robbing him, I sell my old stuff back to him.

Now that is a conspicuous rock.

And one that we can't do anything with. It'll come later, though, so for now, let's bounce.

I'm not sure how many mosquitoes I've balled this time around, but it's been quite a few.

Phrasing, Leave, phrasing!

I can't help but like the bloodsplosion here. It really helps emphasize how much of a non-threat the mosquitoes are.

Welcome to the Mammoth Graveyard.

Hey, what's that little guy?

Besides a spider the size of most terriers.

Meet the Widowmaker; 40 HP, and worth 40 EXP, to boot. They also drop 12 Talons, and their attacks have a 25% chance of inflicting poison.

This is just a display of how hosed this one is.

I'm not sure if Zach or the Hard Ball killed it, but it is definitely very dead.

As is this one.

The little bastards are crawling all over the place, too.

Not for very long, no, but they are still plentiful.

When not getting his murder on, Zach will sniff out ingredients. I've mentioned this before, I think, but in case I haven't, Zach will help us find ingredients in the wild.

Hard Ball is getting pretty useful; it won't one-shot these guys, but it's definitely doing a good chunk of damage. I've mostly been using it to finish these guys off, which is why my axe hasn't hit Level 2.

Zach didn't get the kill here, despite his best effort. Hard Ball exploded the Widowmaker before he had the chance.

And when they hit, they fuckin' hit. Poison doesn't come up often, and it's not very dangerous; both are good things, in my book.

This is Cure in action; it heals status ailments. As far as I can tell, it will heal all ailments even at Level 1, so I see no reason to work at leveling it up.

Alright, let's get to the big fight of this update.

Well now, who's this happy rear end in a top hat?

Look, you can speak and identify ownership, as well as having some sort of society. Can't you put up a sign somewhere?

Yeah, I'm just terrified. :rolleyes:

And he rolls off again. Guess he didn't want any of this.

:ducksiren:Well, alright, pink dinosaur guys. Let's get it on.:ducksiren:

These are the Vipers. They've been mentioned before.

Now, there are four of them, and two of us. Those odds are stacked a bit in their favor, so I start the evening by switching to Zach.

And yes, I got my rear end kicked. Don't worry, it's part of the plan.

Now, as Zach, we can bring up York's menu and have him use alchemy or whatever, much like you could in the Mana games.

Now, you'll notice I went from twenty-one castings of Hard Ball down to eighteen. You can also see the casting animation going on, frozen by the ring menu.

And multiple Hard Balls flying at one poor Viper bastard.

It blasted his rear end across the map; in the lower right corner, you can see that I did 150 damage to him. They have 125 at maximum, and we'll get 80 EXP and 50 Talons for each of them.

Multiple targets, tons of Hard Balls for everybody!

The multi-cast glitch is really handy for laying down a ton of damage real quick-like. You can do it while controlling York, apparently, but I get the best success out of doing it while controlling Zach.

If I do it right, I've gotten eight Hard Balls out at once.

Really, this fight isn't too difficult. There are a bunch of enemies around, and they are quite hardy, while dealing good chunks of damage. Alchemy is definitely recommended here, but as long as you're keeping an eye on your health and taking it one target at a time, you should make it through it pretty well.

Zach's charged attack, like most of his attacks, hits like a mad bastard. Two of these would take out a Viper quite easily, but the hardest part is actually hitting one with it. They're fairly quick, despite how they look. They like to roll out of range and punish you with a tongue-whip.

I took a little over six minutes of video for this update, and I used nearly twenty castings of Hard Ball.

Alrighty, so here's the Viper Commander, our final enemy for this boss fight. He has 250 HP to deplete, so let's get to it.

And, once again, Hard Ball multi-cast is the order of the day.

The Commander has no earthly clue of what is about to wreck his poo poo.

:smugdog:

And Hard Ball leveled up! :sugartits:

This is just a single tossing of Hard Ball.

:boom:

And we get a new weapon! :krakentoot:

It's our third type of weapon, the Spear. It's a little stronger than the Spider's Claw, clocking in at 20 Attack, which is twice that of the Bone Crusher. It's also going to be our main weapon until we get something stronger.

Not a problem, man. Really, it was my pleasure, due to making Hard Ball stronger.

Hard Ball is pretty much the weakest offensive formula in the game, but as someone in the thread mentioned, it's also extremely cheap for what you get. It's quite easy to keep the necessary ingredients around, but when we get a better offensive formula, you probably won't see Hard Ball much after that.

Well, that's not right. I found some Ash around here, and a bit of Clay. :colbert:

: Yes--lizard people from the great volcano. They've been coming out in force lately, raiding the graveyard for mammoth parts.

: When we get to the core of the volcano, we'll stop them before they do more harm.

: Why are you going there? It's very dangerous!

: Well, Fire Eyes told us about the volcano cooling and...

Despite being the same sprite, this isn't Strong Heart. I'm not sure why one of the few named people doesn't have a unique sprite, but whatever, I'm not the developer.

And just mentioning Fire Eyes' name means that we're upstanding, trustworthy fellows. Uh, fellow. And dog.

...Top of the volcano? We've gotta go in through the top?! Jesus Christ, lava comes out of there!

Can we get a Freeze Ray and a parachute, too? Entering a volcano through the top seems a little...What's the phrase I want to use here...

Dick-explodingly terrifying. That's the phrase I want.

Entering a volcano through the top seems dick-explodingly terrifying.

Hell yes you should. I'll never turn down a free heal.

Compared to when we started, we've gained a good bit of health. Zach a little more than York, but Zach is definitely the beefier of the two.

This is one of the few healing alchemy spells we're going to get, and for a long time, the only one we'll have.

Considering that, it's cheap as hell to use. Water and Roots are every-goddamned-where, including in the field and for sale, so there's no reason not to have the stuff around for it.

It levels up pretty well, too, and if we're using it as needed, we're going to be recovering HP on a level better than the healing items. At level 0, which alchemy spells start at, Heal will recover 20 to 38 HP. Or so the Secret of Evermore Wiki tells me, and I'm going to trust those nerds.

But that caps things off for this update. Next time, we'll head through the gate and see about getting into that volcano.

Stay tuned!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

I'm having a hard time deciding if the mammoth bones are in tar or some sort of poison, or if they're just far enough down to be in perpetual shadow.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Leavemywife posted:

[

Hell yes you should. I'll never turn down a free heal.
Stay tuned!

If my memory serves me correctly, if you turn down this heal the alchemist instead gives you 10 each of roots and water.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Multi-casting isn't quite as broken as it was in Secret of Mana due to how crazily fast most alchemy spells are. But not all alchemy formulas have the same casting time. Slower ones you can multicast more.
Due to the nature of some bosses in the game, it's not a cheesy thing to do.
Especially since other bosses have their own BS that you cannot hope to deal with.

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding if the mammoth bones are in tar or some sort of poison, or if they're just far enough down to be in perpetual shadow.
Can't it be both?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Are you sure that's really Viper Commander?

And of course, the power of Cure forever:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Explosionface posted:

And of course, the power of Cure forever:

I like how Zach wanders up, decides that poo poo's boring, and just fucks off.

I love our doggy. :3:

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
So, this thread got me to start replaying the game, and I'm absolutely awestruck at how much dialogue is in the game. Sure, every NPC has their one thing that they say, but this can be influenced by various events to stay more up to date. A good example is after clearing the Bugmuck, nobody talks about how poor Strong Heart hasn't returned yet, instead they talk about how you saved him, or maybe talk about something completely different, or the next plot point. But they also have different dialogue depending on which player character you're controlling when you talk to them. A good example of that is speaking to Strong Heart himself, and him giving the dog a Leather Collar for free. There's other incidents where this can happen, and not everyone will give you free goodies, but the game definitely takes that into account when you're interacting with the people in Evermore.

I'm also doing alchemy experiments! :science: I'll do a nice write-up what I've found once I hammer out some setup and get my thoughts organized. There's definitely something weird going on here...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw yeah, healing spell. Those are always useful to find.

...kind of makes you wonder why you'd bother with healing items, though. Isn't your inventory for those kind of limited?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Glazius posted:

...kind of makes you wonder why you'd bother with healing items, though. Isn't your inventory for those kind of limited?

Yes. But they're more powerful unless you put in the time to level the healing spells. And it saves you from having to keep track of ingredients/hunting down someone that sells the needed ingredients.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Spoiler'd just in case:

Eventually healing items serve as a backup when you're low on ingredients for healing alchemy, or when you need to use those ingredients to cast other spells.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Glazius posted:

Healing items are useful in that there's no time to wait for them. It's actually a good balance - the items are useful for when you need an instant heal, while the spells are useful for when you don't mind a bit of waiting on a heal. Also, items don't have variance thrown in so you know how much they're going to heal and can plan around that. Spells, not so much.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Eight: A Very Little Bit Of Progress

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we beat up some Vipers and got a Horn Spear, and--Wait, is that all we really did? poo poo, that's not a whole lot. And we're not doing a ton this update, either. But, stick with it, we'll be getting to more interesting things very soon.

You can see a new enemy on this screen. It's a different type of Raptor.

They're quick, speedy bastards, as you'd expect a raptor to be.

Man, what I would do for a bazooka right now. Blow this jerks right off the map.

They've also got some decent power behind their attacks.

And with 50 HP, they've a little staying power, too. They're nothing too insanely dangerous, but they can be a little intimidating at first.

And that 67 damage over there? Yeah, that was Zach. He wasn't taking any of their poo poo, but we will take their 24 EXP and 48 Talons.

And neither are we, considering we're slamming a spear into this one's noggin.

I'm not sure that's how you're supposed to use a spear, but who am I to question it? I've never done any spear-fighting.

Around here, there are a few different caves scattered about.

But we snag a bit of Clay first.

In this cave, there's no danger, so it's a bit of a breather, if you need it.

Heal and Cure have the same animation, so no .gif for this one.

We've got some leveling to do with Heal, since 22 HP restored isn't exactly all that much. Petals currently heal more, but we'll blow past those soon enough.

I still have not bought any Pixie Dust. I should, at some point, but we'll get there when we get there. I've mostly not bought any since it's kind of expensive, and I'd rather drop that moolah on alchemy ingredients.

Alright, let's scoot and skedaddle. I didn't buy anything, but this place is worth noting.

This little ladder over here is a quicker route up here.

This flower is in the way, but that's a minor obstacle at best.

And there's another cave over here.

Yeah, I'm counting these flowers as non-threats already. Zach can easily one-shot them. At some points, it made leveling the Spear kind of difficult, since he was killing them before I could get close enough to even try. Thankfully, you can make him sniff around for ingredients and ignore combat.

There's another part of Water in the other gourd.

I'm not sure if you really need an inn out here, especially one that's three times the cost of the one in the village. But, hey, if you need it, it's here.

We can save here, too, but we've seen that dialog enough.

We get back to working our way up the path.

I'm still not sure that's how you use a spear, but it works for killin' dinosaurs. And can you really ask more than that?

Huh. What's a Raptor doing in this cave?

...And we're trapped.

There are three of them in here, even you can only really see two. Yeah, I'm hitting two at the same time here.

And Zach kills them so hard, the rock blocking the exit fuckin' explodes. Our dog is the poo poo.

Several of you were wincing when I bought that armor last update. You had good reason to do so; we didn't particularly need that item, but, hey, I guess that's part of completionism. Or something.

Yeah, this is much better than our previous armor. And it's as good as our previous armor and the armor before it. Dino Skin is pretty snazzy.

Back to...Whatever it is we're doing.

Movin' on up, Heal has also moved on up. It'll heal 41-78 HP now, which, hey, works for me.

These numbers are from a chained Heal. Heal leveled up during it, and when a spell levels during chain-casting, the spells cast after the level will be at the new level.

For instance, if I chained six Hard Balls, and it leveled up after the fourth casting, the final two castings would be at the new level.

This shot is included because I think it's metal as poo poo.

Coming over here, there's this patch of grass we need to clear out.

Which lets us step on this geyser and get catapulted upward.

As opposed to being catapulted downward. Sometimes I think I'm a little patronizing when I say things like that.

Zach is not diggin' this poo poo.

There are a few treasures scattered about here, and some enemies.

Thankfully, none of them can travel between the different elevation levels here, though that would have been kind of cool if the Widowmakers could have, since they're spiders.

Or to see a Raptor leaping off a cliff, ready to rain razor-sharp fury upon our heroes, only for our faithful, determined, destructive dog to catch it in mid-air, tearing it down before it can even touch the ground.

Well, whatever. It is a SNES game, and I can imagine something like that might be a touch complicated to get done. Or would look goofy as poo poo.

There are a series of caves scattered about, too.

They're a series of tunnels that will spit you out of one of these holes; sometimes, it jerks all your progress away, and sometimes it lets you progress further, by getting you to the proper geyser.

And back up we go.

This is one of those things that I'm never sure how to cover in screenshots.

I mean, it's popping in and out of holes. How the hell am I supposed to make that interesting?

There's only so many variations of, "I went in this hole and came out here" that I can do.

That gourd over there? You see it, right?

Yeah, keep that way in the back of your mind. It will not be relevant for...Oh, a very long time.

Instead, I'll pull a Petal out of a spider's splattered innards.

Blasting that Widowmaker with a Hard Ball gains Zach a level, which is worthy of a :sugartits:.

I was going for that gourd on the left and accidentally stepped on this geyser.

It puts us directly above it. We probably could have climbed up here, honestly.

Oh, well. Working my way back up leads to something kind of fun.

Our spear gains its first level!

I burn a Petal and take this one. It works out, because I could have used a little top-up.

Coming up here, we get some Water.

And an expressway back to the bottom, where I can show off the Horn Spear's level 1 charge attack.

It's a little sloppy, but I think it gets the point across well enough.

From here, we step on the geyser that was uncovered when we arrived.

Which brings us back to this level, where we pop into the cave.

Which takes us to the geyser we need to get where we were going. Namely, the top of the volcano.

:asoiaf:

Hey, cool--

...This may have gone poorly.

Oh, thank goodness.

Zach, you good, buddy? I know you don't like all this air travel.

Ah, this ties into the legend of an ancient moonshiner. Let me see if I can remember how it goes...

"Atop that mountain, a four-armed nine-foot blind man, who also has the tongue of a dragon, makes the strongest whiskey on Earth. They say that if you're crazy, it makes you sane. And if you're sane, you'll never believe a word of this story."

But we're here, and this man only has two arms.

And he appears to see us quite well. Perhaps...Perhaps the legend was wrong.

Or this isn't the right man.

That sounds like a horrible way to enter a volcano. Just awful.

I'm not sure that this sounds much better.

But I suppose it'll keep us from being immediately broasted upon entry.

What, are we going to fly above the rock? Get the hell outta here.

...Oh, yeah, I suppose that is a better solution. Levitate is a non-combat spell, too; there are a couple of alchemy spells that only serve to solve puzzles and to help us progress forward.

And somehow, a chili pepper and a drop of water will let us do that. I've been trying to make some sense out of these formulas, but I've got loving nothing for this one.

Mud Pepper? Where the hell are those?

...gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

The swamp itself isn't too bad. It's a goddamned swamp, and I dislike it intensely all the same, but the goddamned boss at the end of it...

Ugh.

It'll come next update, though. I'm not going to go full-cheese on this boss; instead, we'll go for Kraft Singles and only slight cheese.

Ash, Clay, Wax and Water are what he sells here, and he has pretty good prices on most of his stuff.

And he's also a save point, so we save up here.

And I pass this message along to you. We're going to stop here, because next time, we're going to go through the Swamp and fight a hugely annoying boss.

Stay tuned!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Dino Skin is pretty snazzy.

It's clearly not saving them though.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

The Lone Badger posted:

It's clearly not saving them though.

Imagine how hard they'd explode without it!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
And that's why the spear is the best weapon in the game and why using the swords/axes is basically pointless.

Because you can loving throw it like a javelin.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Kudos to Leave for LPing another game I remember enjoying a lot back in the day.

I enjoyed the Spear's charge attack in particular. Ranged attacks are key with some of the harder bosses ahead.

Can't say how exactly- spoilers-, but trust me, the dog only gets more awesome. :D

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
As far as incorrect spear usage goes, I think our hero is actually correctly interpreting his new weapon as a javelin and not a spear, given how he holds it overhand and eventually learns how to throw it for more effective attacks.

Not that it makes any more sense for him to have a supposedly infinite supply of then to throw, but whatever.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Kind of a problem with the weapon system is that every weapon that is not a spear is strictly worse than the other types both quantitatively (less damage) and qualitatively (no ranged attack). A problem with the leveling of the weapons is that I had no patience for that and just used this specific spear at max level for most of the whole game. :v:

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

It took me AGES to find the swamp when I first played this game. For some reason I just didn't see the path that you needed to take to get there.

EDIT: Yes, it's fairly easy to just stick with the Horn Spear for the entire game. You don't spend enough time with the other spears to level them up quickly like you do with this one.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Unless of course you grind and grind to get every weapon to max level. Which I did every time I played this as a kid. I loved this game that much.

I didn't level the alchemy though. I wasn't THAT crazy. :)

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I'd level up the spears as I got them(save for the last due to... reasons), but yeah, once you get them the other weapon types may as well stop existing.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Well, there is that item that helps the sword but the lances are definitely the better of the three.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Ah, yes, that item...

But all in good time.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Unoriginal One posted:

I'd level up the spears as I got them(save for the last due to... reasons), but yeah, once you get them the other weapon types may as well stop existing.

Leveling the spears is probably worth it, since each new version is notably better than the last. But every other weapon type is basically useless.

A far better design decision would have been to make spears the weakest of the three - so you need to choose between a ranged attack or the raw power of axes. And I guess the sword could, idk, maybe it's always available first of each tier so it temporarily outclasses everything else. Or maybe swords level up faster so they're the low effort option rather than needing to grind.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

edit: comment mentions a glitched item. I don't name it but I'll cut it to be safe

Broken Box fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 15, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Thank you very much.

Leave fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 15, 2016

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
At the end of the game all three weapon types even out in power, which means that due to a certain items enhancing sword strength and swords getting a multi-hit combo swords end up the best.

But, really, just use whatever you got most recently. Weapons level up fairly fast unless you run by everything! Charging will help make a weapon last a bit longer, but trying to use anything too long is just making stuff harder for no good reason. Also, with alchemy leveling up so quickly you always have decent ranged options, so the spear throw becomes less essential.

Really, Evermore is a pretty forgiving game, so don't worry too much!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

But, really, just use whatever you got most recently. Weapons level up fairly fast unless you run by everything your loving dog keeps stealing all your kills!

You'll never guess why my dog has to go on constant search duty now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
You know you can set him to not attack at all, right? Set his AI to the far left and his weapon level to the lowest and he'll only ever search for items and not attack enemies.

• Locked thread