Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Eh, just loop it back onto the input belt. I'm almost to the point where I need to tear everything down and set up a proper bus. I've been using a copper/iron split lane belt that turns the precursor assembly lines into a massive loving mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Solumin posted:

(You should be able to produce science faster than it's consumed, especially once you hit the mid- to late-game.) Either approach will work!

You should build another 10-30 Science Labs :science:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This is what I use for red/green science.

I just started a new game, this is about an hour in.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

widespread posted:

I meant the spare Copper and Iron I would get from the splitters. But if it's the same concept, then I can do that.

There is no "spare" copper/iron there :ssh: either you're consuming it just as fast as it comes in to that branch (in which case you don't need any chests), or it's backing up all the way to the splitter and more stuff is going on to the main branch. Unless you're producing so much raw material that belt throughout is your bottleneck, you don't need to worry about it.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Oh joy. I accidentally scheduled a train to load iron ore and run it to the coal unload stop. A little while later everything grinds to a halt from power loss and I get to spend half an hour clearing all the coal belts while biters take advantage of laser turrets being very iffy.

Yes, I probably should have had filtering smart inserters on the unload station.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Jabor posted:

There is no "spare" copper/iron there :ssh: either you're consuming it just as fast as it comes in to that branch (in which case you don't need any chests), or it's backing up all the way to the splitter and more stuff is going on to the main branch. Unless you're producing so much raw material that belt throughout is your bottleneck, you don't need to worry about it.

Point taken. Here's my setup now:

Also noteworthy is how I got Solar Energy. When should I roll those- or for that matter the fast belts- out?

And how should I get the Iron Bars to this area, assuming answer isn't Train or Belts.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

widespread posted:

Point taken. Here's my setup now:

And how should I get the Iron Bars to this area, assuming answer isn't Train or Belts.

Belt them from your main smelting facility?

Your other options is manually filling pretty often, logistic bots, smelting on site or make a long line of inserters.

Why can't you use belts?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Dunno-Lars posted:

Belt them from your main smelting facility?

Your other options is manually filling pretty often, logistic bots, smelting on site or make a long line of inserters.

Why can't you use belts?

I can use belts, it's just that it has to be the slowest ones since I can't seem to mass produce the faster ones just yet.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

If you can make normal belts you can make fast belts - I actually manufacture both on the same line. Depending on iron availability you can scale this up or down, but this setup works well fore me. I filtered off half the chests so it will produce ~2000 belts before stopping, at which point the normal belts are made and fill their own chests.

I turned off the game after I realized I didn't have the information visible, but it felt easier to write up an overlay than just turn it back on. Biggest thing it some of the iron is siphoned off to make gears, but not all of it, the yellow belt factories are fed both plates and gears and output belts directly into the red belt factories, which also gobble gears but not plates. The red factories then output into a chest. Once the red chests are full, the slower arms are able to extract yellow belts and put them into a chest for less ambitious belting efforts.

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 10, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Well I would be alright, but since a recent blackout related to not-automated coals, I threw a fit and tore down fuckin' everything in order to reorganize and try for a bus line with solar power.

How do you bus. Just have all mines point to one line that splits a lot?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

widespread posted:

Well I would be alright, but since a recent blackout related to not-automated coals, I threw a fit and tore down fuckin' everything in order to reorganize and try for a bus line with solar power.

How do you bus. Just have all mines point to one line that splits a lot?

It doesn't need to split at all necessarily, but the idea behind a bus is you have a primary line carrying your basic resources and take from the primary line as required to do sub-tasks.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Here's a pretty good review of Factorio: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/07/factorio-review-early-access/

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

While on the topic of layouts, here's my current science setup:

And I've settled on this design for electric smelting:

Assuming your trains can provide enough input, you can keep adding belts above and below every 20 furnaces to extend the bus indefinitely (I didn't leave enough room for this here). Right now if my demand is high enough the inputs start to choke around the 15th smelter in each line (blue belts won't help yet, right now it's an issue of moving the ore out of my train chests fast enough). Here's my train depot:

At this point I think the solution might just be more stations (2 or 3 for each of iron/copper) or spacing them apart more and having the inserter/chest setup on each side.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Roflex posted:

And I've settled on this design for electric smelting:

Assuming your trains can provide enough input, you can keep adding belts above and below every 20 furnaces to extend the bus indefinitely (I didn't leave enough room for this here). Right now if my demand is high enough the inputs start to choke around the 15th smelter in each line (blue belts won't help yet, right now it's an issue of moving the ore out of my train chests fast enough). Here's my train depot:

At this point I think the solution might just be more stations (2 or 3 for each of iron/copper) or spacing them apart more and having the inserter/chest setup on each side.

Can we please have some more pictures of your base? Maybe even a save game?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Double post, but I just want to mention that a sort-of-recent update changed how science packs work.

Before, any science labs researching when a tech finished wasted all progress, costing you a lot of spare science packs if you had a lot of labs. After the update, science packs are used up over time, and any unused will be spent on the next technology instead of thrown away.

Before, lot's of labs meant you researched faster, but also threw away a lot of packs. Now, having lots of labs does not waste packs at all, and help you research faster.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dunno-Lars posted:

Double post, but I just want to mention that a sort-of-recent update changed how science packs work.

Before, any science labs researching when a tech finished wasted all progress, costing you a lot of spare science packs if you had a lot of labs. After the update, science packs are used up over time, and any unused will be spent on the next technology instead of thrown away.

Before, lot's of labs meant you researched faster, but also threw away a lot of packs. Now, having lots of labs does not waste packs at all, and help you research faster.

I find 10 labs goes plenty fast enough, especially later once you have lab efficiency. Maybe if you're chasing tech completion and follower count 19 or something you'd want to be faster but I find 10 popping up the 'change tech' window annoyingly often enough as is.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

You are correct, I should! I have the space and the setup to do it, but keep getting distracted. And then I burnt myself out a little bit with that save....

Roflex posted:

Nice setup! I like how you handle the electric smelting. I've found that long rows of smelters usually end up with half of them unable to output anything since the belt fills up, but it looks like you handle that pretty well.

Are you using RSO, or have you just managed to deplete nearby ore fields?

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.
There was talk on previous pages of a Goon server, did that go anywhere? If not I'll set one up this weekend (probably with a few mods) with a "scheduled" start time so we can all get in early to build. It's significantly less fun to come into a perfectly operational, logistics-enabled game where it takes zero effort to do anything.

I know the game supports teams in the underlying code as well, would anyone want a faction-based game or just have a full co-op thing going?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

New array. Also got belts going through a central smelting facility. But now my main problem is: How much should I tack onto this to ensure there's at least no blackouts? Because I've connected... everything to it. Up to and including the oil industry that's only making batteries at the moment.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

CanOfMDAmp posted:

There was talk on previous pages of a Goon server, did that go anywhere? If not I'll set one up this weekend (probably with a few mods) with a "scheduled" start time so we can all get in early to build. It's significantly less fun to come into a perfectly operational, logistics-enabled game where it takes zero effort to do anything.

I know the game supports teams in the underlying code as well, would anyone want a faction-based game or just have a full co-op thing going?
the game's not really "long" enough for that sort of thing, unfortunately. Two or three people can launch a rocket within about 4-6 hours if they've played the game before.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
A goon "just dicking around" server would probably work best with all research done, cosmetic mods, and either no biters or lots of biters with an established safe zone.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

widespread posted:

New array. Also got belts going through a central smelting facility. But now my main problem is: How much should I tack onto this to ensure there's at least no blackouts? Because I've connected... everything to it. Up to and including the oil industry that's only making batteries at the moment.

It's really hard to say! It entirely depends on how large your factory is. There's three things to consider:

1) Can you power your factory during the day? (Usually the easiest part.)
2) Can you power your factory through the night? (Usually the hardest part.)
3) Can you recharge your accumulators in less than one day? (Don't forget about this!!)

I don't know if there's an easy way to calculate how many accumulators you need to sustain a certain level of performance. I mean, I know the math involved, since you can look up the power draw of each building and the power supplied by each accumulator, but I've never tried to do it.

Once you get construction bots going, you might want to consider a layout like this:

It's a very efficient ratio of solar panels to accumulators, and a single block provides a huge amount of juice, but it's very finicky to place -- best to do it right once and let the bots take care of it afterward.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Solumin posted:

You are correct, I should! I have the space and the setup to do it, but keep getting distracted. And then I burnt myself out a little bit with that save....

Nice setup! I like how you handle the electric smelting. I've found that long rows of smelters usually end up with half of them unable to output anything since the belt fills up, but it looks like you handle that pretty well.

Are you using RSO, or have you just managed to deplete nearby ore fields?

I'm using RSO, and also slightly higher than normal richness/size, and slightly lower frequency settings.

More screenshots with commentary for those interested: http://imgur.com/a/CzLz7

Edit: ^^I prefer this layout, it's roboportable, supposedly the "correct" ratio of panels/accumulators, and has room to put belts or just to walk through. (The roboport goes in the upper right, use four of these together to make one "unit"). The edge of the roboport logistics range is right at the edge of the solar panels, and the construction range extends long enough for the bots to be able to place another port.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 10, 2016

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
My gift to all of you who want to take screen shots.

code:
game.daytime = 0
game.take_screenshot{zoom=1, 
	             show_entity_info=True, 
                     path="C:\temp\myscreenshot.png", 
                     resolution={1024,1024}}
zoom: 0.290-3, 1 = F9 zoom level, smaller is zoom out, bigger in zoom in.

Resolution: Depending on your graphics memory you should be able to get up to 11000, 11000 this will make a very big file.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 10, 2016

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
For building solar, you just want to build panels and accumulators in the correct ratio until you are making enough power. The ratio is 25 accumulators for every 21 solar panels, though you don't really need to be that precise.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Bhodi posted:

the game's not really "long" enough for that sort of thing, unfortunately. Two or three people can launch a rocket within about 4-6 hours if they've played the game before.

Agreed, I just end up getting bored playing solo runs and enjoy the MP aspect. Maybe a more full-fledged MP experience could be hashed out in a mod.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
MP is a ton of fun, if you haven't done it grab a buddy for sure! Just realize it's a one-off thing you do with friends not really built for a persistent server.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Hagop posted:

My gift to all of you who want to take screen shots.

code:
game.daytime = 0
game.take_screenshot{zoom=1, 
	             show_entity_info=True, 
                     path="C:\temp\myscreenshot.png", 
                     resolution={1024,1024}}
zoom: 0.290-3, 1 = F9 zoom level, smaller is zoom out, bigger in zoom in.

Resolution: Depending on your graphics memory you should be able to get up to 11000, 11000 this will make a very big file.

"game.always_day = true" is better if you're going to take a lot of screenshots. It completely disables the day/night cycle until you set it back to false.

Roflex posted:

I'm using RSO, and also slightly higher than normal richness/size, and slightly lower frequency settings.

More screenshots with commentary for those interested: http://imgur.com/a/CzLz7

Edit: ^^I prefer this layout, it's roboportable, supposedly the "correct" ratio of panels/accumulators, and has room to put belts or just to walk through. (The roboport goes in the upper right, use four of these together to make one "unit"). The edge of the roboport logistics range is right at the edge of the solar panels, and the construction range extends long enough for the bots to be able to place another port.

I like the grid, it's more aesthetically pleasing. :3: The "roboportable" bit is good, though I often end up using a personal roboport when it comes down to it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Solumin posted:

I like the grid, it's more aesthetically pleasing. :3: The "roboportable" bit is good, though I often end up using a personal roboport when it comes down to it.

It's more handy because it significantly extends your logistics network, so as soon as you enter the area near the solar panels (if you put a few extra roboports around the edge) your bots will start gathering the materials in your logistics requests. Even if it takes them a while to get to you, it's still better than running all the way back into the core of the base when all you needed was more belts.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I might bum one of your guys' ideas because my current setup of "column of accumulators/powerlines/panels" isn't giving the accumulators any juice.

That's from when the panels hit max power.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They're not going to store power if there's no excess to store.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Recommend me a mod, please.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GotLag posted:

They're not going to store power if there's no excess to store.

Yup. Accumulators only store power when the network's production exceeds consumption, and will start discharging in the opposite case. You need more solar panels or more steam engines -- I suggest adding steam engines, since that's much quicker to set up if you don't have a lot of solar panels manufactured already.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Stick Insect posted:

Fiddle around a bit with the world generation settings. You can set your mineral deposits to be smaller and more spread out.

I think RSO is better than this, smaller deposits run out so fast that trains become a huge hassle, as you're constantly setting up new points.

If you make your deposits richer, it mostly means that you never really need to move off the near ones.

RSO makes further deposits much richer than closer deposits. You get enough to start going, but as you move away your far deposits are far enough away that trains are worthwhile, and rich enough that they last long enough for the trains to be meaningful.

As your factory grows you'll start needing multiple rich deposits to feed it raw materials, so you continue to expand it.

Sure, you could try to simply build your factory away from the spawn, but you'd probably need to fight though a bunch of biters.

Sapo
Dec 1, 2010

this is reification, the game, and its good.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfS7XK5QQnU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I'm inordinately happy with the design I came up with for sorting and processing gems in Bob's mod set.

Insert freshly mined gems at the bottom, set the smart inserter numbers to however many you want in the logistic network and off it goes. Not shown are the trivial bits making the grinding wheels etc available. I always set filters when I can so you can see better with Alt on which inserter does what.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Sillybones posted:

RSO is fun if you like making a massive train network. It starts you off with some of all the necessary resources, then puts more plentiful spawns far away from your starting location.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sillybones posted:

http://gozaima.su/factorio/0.12/

All of these, except Crafted Artifacts/Artifact retexture, unless you play without aliens. They're super minor but super useful and great.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Ratzap posted:

I'm inordinately happy with the design I came up with for sorting and processing gems in Bob's mod set.

Insert freshly mined gems at the bottom, set the smart inserter numbers to however many you want in the logistic network and off it goes. Not shown are the trivial bits making the grinding wheels etc available. I always set filters when I can so you can see better with Alt on which inserter does what.

There are EIGHTEEN different types of gems in BOBs? A resurce category that doesn't even exist in the base game. Holy poo poo i understand why people recommend to stay away from that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
To be fair it looks like 9 which are then refined/cut into a finer version.

I can understand the appeal of adding complexity to a game you've played hundreds/thousands of hours. I can't say I'd do it though, the problem with these mods for me is that they stick out from the vanilla stuff too much and don't fit in.