Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I doubt arcade mode is the sole reason. That being said trying to replace a traditional fighting game mode for no reason other than "oh we've got a story mode coming" is loving stupid. No one has ever complained about having an arcade mode ever and it offers simple single player content with little work other than having to make a boss fight and tack on a character specific ending.

Like it shouldn't be hard to make a single player mode that lets you run through a sizeable amount of the cast with some sort of reward that isn't painfully boring to play through like Survival or Character stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
They have a story mode with character specific ending and some fights for every character. its basically arcade mode. actually its literally arcade mode

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I haven't put too much work into the game, but I'm stuck around the entry point of Silver rank right now.

When I'm under Silver - keep fighting Bronze and below players, the ones that haven't quite picked up the game.
When I'm at Silver - Keep fighting Gold players, the ones that have studied the game quite a bit more than me, which shows in their combo choice and tech.
Fight no Silvers.

I feel so alone.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dangerdoom volvo posted:

They have a story mode with character specific ending and some fights for every character. its basically arcade mode. actually its literally arcade mode

Those are non-endings, they don't do anything for any character with the exception of like Karin's and are just meant to hype up the story mode.

Like the fact that you can't change difficulty and that amount of fights change depending on character make it really separated from an actual arcade mode.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Capcom should make a special Karin costume, I don't care what it looks like, print a hundred codes for it and put them in random SFV boxes. Then they'll move copies.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Strekken had a good arcade mode.

I guess they thought since Strekken was so badly received that no one liked opening and ending cutscenes with in between character banter and rival scenes.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

where the gently caress is the marvel story mode gdi
where is it capcom you fucks

i will buy a fourth (?) copy of marvel if you release it again with a god drat story mode and balance patches

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Marvel character endings were godlike

Also

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean it's young Alex, he hasn't mastered his headband yet

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

two to four one round fights against the easiest possible AI is not what anybody at all ones.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He hasn't learned how to evolve from an ape either

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Alex really looks like they outsourced the model to someone on a forum for $20, maybe the budget dried up and they can't afford suspenders.

halwain
May 31, 2011

Baal posted:

Also

He looks a bit like a not-green blanka with fries on his head.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Baal posted:

Also

My name is…

Shake zula, the mic rula, the old schoola, you want a trip, I’ll bring it to ya

Frylock and I'm on top, rock you like a cop, Meatwad, you up next with your knock-knock

Meatwad make the money see, Meatwad get the honeys G,

Drivin' in my car, livin’ like a star, Ice on my fingers and my toes and I'm a taurus.

Uh! Check-check it, yeah.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Baal posted:

Those are non-endings, they don't do anything for any character with the exception of like Karin's and are just meant to hype up the story mode.

Like the fact that you can't change difficulty and that amount of fights change depending on character make it really separated from an actual arcade mode.

It has training mode which is more than enough single player content for me. like if theyre cheap enough i buy games and just do training mode sometimes. because its fun

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

My name is…

Shake zula, the mic rula, the old schoola, you want a trip, I’ll bring it to ya

Frylock and I'm on top, rock you like a cop, Meatwad, you up next with your knock-knock

Meatwad make the money see, Meatwad get the honeys G,

Drivin' in my car, livin’ like a star, Ice on my fingers and my toes and I'm a taurus.

Uh! Check-check it, yeah.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

dangerdoom volvo posted:

It has training mode which is more than enough single player content for me. like if theyre cheap enough i buy games and just do training mode sometimes. because its fun

same here but sadly, training mode and competitive play does not sell a lot of copies, story mode and crazy looking fatalities do

In the western FGC, Street Fighter is utterly dominant, but serious players make up a small minority and most gamers never even go online or go tournaments and just want to randomly mash buttons and watch cutscenes. It really loving sucks, but the most successful games typically cater to the lowest common denominator

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I don't think this game really has a 'fun' training mode. I'd say that UMvC3 and KoF13 have fun training modes. I just look at what's punishable, what can be used to punish jab mashers and that sort of thing.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I don't think this game really has a 'fun' training mode. I'd say that UMvC3 and KoF13 have fun training modes. I just look at what's punishable, what can be used to punish jab mashers and that sort of thing.

its for sure not an ideal training mode game im just saying thats single player content

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I can't remember where the figures are now, but Blizzard spoke on starcraft 2 a while ago and they explained that a tiny percentage of people even touched the online versus modes. The vast majority just played campaign alone or beat th AI with other people.

I never have a name or flag, I can't make lobbies, I have no idea where people are in searches because no bars or flags. I doubt many people like me are willing to keep searching and joining random lobbies until they eventually find someone on the same continent. Hope they work fine by patch day.

Which is why capcoms decision was very stupid

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/708283126649196544

So I guess this actually removes the throw OS? Having 2 frames to work with before you're locked out of teching means that should you fat-finger a throw attempt and end up doing a kara-throw of sorts (like LP~LP+LK or MP~LP+LK), the game will accept it because kara throws are still just throws. If you take longer though it'll go into dreaded "OS TERRITORY" and you won't be able to tech anymore.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

Baal posted:

Also

M....maybe I don't like Alex after all.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I made some adjustments to the SFV quiz and added some features that people asked for: https://tinyurl.com/sfv-main

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you have to pay 5 bucks for a good alex costume it's all planned :tinfoil:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Pomp posted:

you have to pay 5 bucks for a good alex costume it's all planned :tinfoil:

From now on all DLC characters will be cosplaying as Q and you gotta pay to take the giant trenchcoat + mask off

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

From now on all DLC characters will be cosplaying as Q and you gotta pay to take the giant trenchcoat + mask off

Why would I pay for a downgrade?

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Why would I pay for a downgrade?

:agreed:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Famitsu accidentally confirmed you'll be able to buy colours (including the Capcom Japan ones) with fight money: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201603/11101268.html

Survival being a scam connnnfiiiiirrrrrrmmmmed

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What would a fighting game's version of BGH look like? Also, they should take a page from Nintendo and just include all their marquis characters in every flagship game now. Finally, they should have crates with hats in them for playing multiplayer and monetize it. This would be especially effective in SFV because you could un blonde the banana stricken characters

There, I just saved fighting games :smug:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Speaking of colors, thanks whoever suggested getting the trainer, now my Bison gots some sweet boots. Hopefully I don't get banned :ohdear:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What would a fighting game's version of BGH look like?

an insanely long turtle fest designed to attract and coddle casual players?

sfxt already exists

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Pomp posted:

an insanely long turtle fest designed to attract and coddle casual players?

sfxt already exists

Actually I was thinking of comp stomps. What would fg comp stomp lobbies look like? Answer this, and you will save fighting games, pomp

E: comp stomp pomp :laugh:

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

lamentable dustman posted:

Speaking of colors, thanks whoever suggested getting the trainer, now my Bison gots some sweet boots. Hopefully I don't get banned :ohdear:

They couldn't even manage to punish rage quitters, I think you're ok.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Actually I was thinking of comp stomps. What would fg comp stomp lobbies look like? Answer this, and you will save fighting games, pomp

Capcom hires a bunch of minimum wage chumps to sit in a cubicle and sandbag all day

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Dramatic battle

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What would a fighting game's version of BGH look like?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What would a fighting game's version of BGH look like? Also, they should take a page from Nintendo and just include all their marquis characters in every flagship game now. Finally, they should have crates with hats in them for playing multiplayer and monetize it. This would be especially effective in SFV because you could un blonde the banana stricken characters

There, I just saved fighting games :smug:

the equivalent of the huge armies slamming into eachother with no thought that bgh maps let people make is messing around with easy to use and/or flashy looking moves and playing in a bonus mode where the rules are relaxed/changed

games like mortal kombat, guilty gear and marvel 3 all have flashy as heck moves and a (at least initially) low input barrier to throw out effective moves. SF5 gief's super looks like a goddamn normal throw with some camera angles

these games also have modes like test your luck, M.O.M and heroes and heralds which add all sorts of wacky modifiers to matches that make them less about technical skill and more about Strategy, in the sense that johnny Q casual feels really smart & accomplished for picking the right loadout or literally winning with his characters arms tied behind their back by doing jump kicks the entire game

meanwhile SF5 has nothing, and it's only planned big mode is story mode which is unconfirmed if it even has gameplay or if it's just a movie

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

lamentable dustman posted:

Which one won't put malware on my machine or try to charge me money for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

where's my money