Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Re; dungeons. Tales dungeons have always been the worst part of tales games and the nicest thing I can say about them is that vesperia dungeons were probably okish because I cannot actually remember them.
The other games' dungeons are pure misery

xillia's dungeons are over in like four minutes, so while they're bad i wouldn't really call them misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Here is another important thing about Magi-roo - funny witch. I'm still not sure what her deal is but I do know the best funny girls in this series are mages and the best mages are funny. Arche, Harold, Beryl, Pascal... I guess I'll provisionally say Norma? I didn't like her myself but I didn't play very much and what do I know, Pascal had a pretty unfortunate first hour or so.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
hosed up you left out Rita

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also edna

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Mostly I meant titles. I could take or leave the crafting system (hell, I wouldn't mind just plain not having one).

EDIT: Also the eleth mixer. I forgot that one.

Yes please give me Graces' titles again

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Caphi posted:

Full free run alone is the start of another paradigm shift, and I think the rest of it would probably be in-combat platforming accompanied by a move to true seamless. I'm not sure Tales is going to do that, though.

Full free run is tidying up, similar to the introduction of free run going from Symphonia to Abyss. It's nowhere near on the level of going from an air combo focused 2D system to around step.

quote:

Berseria is already bringing back SP from Destiny 2. I'm not generally sure what you mean by them only bringing back systems when accompanying a paradigm shift - Graces wasn't even the first time they reused CC (e: sorry, Graces technically came out before Sgt. Frog RPG, but so close they were probably made in parallel so I'm sticking to my story), and as of Rays they're even using it with what appears to be an oldschool FR perspective.

Soul Gauge isn't exactly SP thanks to other stuff stacked on top of it and also the system overall is massively different otherwise from Destiny 2.

Sgt. Frog and Rays aren't mothership titles and nor is Kamen Rider: Travelers Senki, which also uses a basic CC system.

quote:

I'm pretty sure by "other systems" wdarkk meant crafting and titles, though.

Those aren't coming back verbatim either. My point is mostly that every game is going to change stuff and try to be mechanically new and different because that's just how this works especially with the team Destiny DNA that seems to be going to be in every game now so we are definitely never getting basically just Graces again no matter how much anyone wants that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Calaveron posted:

hosed up you left out Rita

Rita is real good but not really comic. If I say I like Harold/Pascal to mean something particular, it's more accurate to say I respect Rita. I certainly like her but I wouldn't say she was as fun as any of these witches (and when she is, the joke's on her).

Endorph posted:

also edna

I think the last time I was thinking about moodmaker positions (you know, injecting positive energy into the party dynamic) you suggested that was more Rose - Edna's thing is more dry. Also Edna was way more sidelined so I'm always going to associate her with disappointment a little bit.

I mean that's really just why I didn't consider them myself but if you consider them I am happy to welcome more characters into the Amazing Witches Party.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

wateyad posted:

Full free run is tidying up, similar to the introduction of free run going from Symphonia to Abyss. It's nowhere near on the level of going from an air combo focused 2D system to around step.

I said before that adding obstacles to movement and/or attacks is on par with adding actual patterns to attacks, the real paradigm shift of Graces, and I stand by that. Zestiria just didn't do it very well. Berseria is taking at least one additional step with dropped souls, and I'm still waiting to see where that goes.

quote:

Soul Gauge isn't exactly SP thanks to other stuff stacked on top of it and also the system overall is massively different otherwise from Destiny 2.

It's SP with a freeform chaining mechanic instead of attackx3 base extended arcane mystic and a little bit of extra SP scaling. There's no TP, which is unrelated, and presumably no flanking penalty, which was stupid anyway.

quote:

Sgt. Frog and Rays aren't mothership titles and nor is Kamen Rider: Travelers Senki, which also uses a basic CC system.

Those aren't coming back verbatim either. My point is mostly that every game is going to change stuff and try to be mechanically new and different because that's just how this works especially with the team Destiny DNA that seems to be going to be in every game now so we are definitely never getting basically just Graces again no matter how much anyone wants that.

I do get what you're saying, they never reprint a system wholesale from game to game (which I actually like), but they very much reuse parts as long as someone can figure out what people liked about those systems and mix up how they're used. CC keeps coming back for good reason. Three games used skill equipping, which has advantages over title skills (like the fact that you can cost stuff). The A orb is a watered down Capacity Core. Destiny's Food Strap system has been remixed twice, with Hearts' Healing Stone and Graces' Eleth Mixer (Hearts was hardly a paradigm shift from Destiny). Actually, oldschool cooking was a mainstay for a while; Destiny 2 and Rebirth even had topping subsystems. I would absolutely like either form of Soma Build to be revisited someday, even though I know it will certainly look different.

Titles, specifically, I agree are probably not coming back, because they were fun but also very particular. And part of me likes the very simple event titles of the sort that made up the first row or so in Graces.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

I think the last time I was thinking about moodmaker positions (you know, injecting positive energy into the party dynamic) you suggested that was more Rose - Edna's thing is more dry. Also Edna was way more sidelined so I'm always going to associate her with disappointment a little bit.

I mean that's really just why I didn't consider them myself but if you consider them I am happy to welcome more characters into the Amazing Witches Party.
I think 'moodmaker' and 'funny' are kind of different? I go back to the Leia example. Leia is mostly just bouncy, she doesn't make any jokes directly, minus emojis. The 'funny' party members in Xillia who make funny skits happen are mostly Alvin and Teepo.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I kind of like it where the difference in arcane artes, base artes and magic is basically just what stat it draws upon when calculating damage, and the gear system gives you enough choice where you can decide what stats you want to use. Graces was kind of like that, but it wasn't until F that we got some gear that sort of swaps around stats. Zestiria does it too, and allows you to swap around stats fairly early in the game, but has other problems with the AI settings and the triad that kind of make it hard to use. I'm hoping ToB just does it right from the get-go. I'm not a fan of the more traditional way of doing arcane artes where "they're just better base artes" because then you feel pressured to use them due to the high damage multipliers, in basically all situations. This was especially the case in ToX2, where the real reason Ludger was overpowered was because he had six arcane artes that could easily carry on that weakness combo with high multipliers at the end of a combo.

Fake edit: I'm all for the book skirt. I use a character in FFXIV that uses a book as a weapon so I see no reason why they can't be used as armour as well.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ruta posted:

Fake edit: I'm all for the book skirt. I use a character in FFXIV that uses a book as a weapon so I see no reason why they can't be used as armour as well.

Sorry, FF14?

Endorph posted:

I think 'moodmaker' and 'funny' are kind of different? I go back to the Leia example. Leia is mostly just bouncy, she doesn't make any jokes directly, minus emojis. The 'funny' party members in Xillia who make funny skits happen are mostly Alvin and Teepo.

I've already thought about this like a hundred times more than I intended to this morning, but this is basically true, but the cheerful witch character is both, and good at both. (Rita isn't really either, her "comedy" is largely slapstick.) I particularly wanted one for Berseria because they pair very well with dour characters - Chester, Kunzite, Hubert. Harold telling off Barbatos. (Rebirth also pairs Tytree, the silly character, with Veigue, though he does it more by being dumb than aggressive.)

Edna is closer to Alvin, a wry composure over a serious personal quest (that ends in a hosed up way). Lailah is maybe a better Zestiria example and she, too, flips very strongly between flighty and serious. It's actually kind of a Zestiria thing and one of the reasons I have a hard time taking the character comedy at face value, because I felt like the game was written on two very different levels. This may be a bit better in the English version? I don't know!

(footnote: Magireu may actually be one of those too, I think the text says something like "moodmaker but has a dark side." So boooo.)

Leia is really weird because it feels like she's trying to brighten things up but then she gets weirdly punished for it. Jude's outgrown her, she feels like she can't help Milla when it counts, and she actively turns off Agria. But yeah, she's not really funny per se. I still really liked her, though, before things got dark. (Also because I don't think they ever made it seem like she was competing with Milla.)

Caphi fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 10, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Leia was really weird cause she was the best character, but they started dumping on her for no real reason. I remember Teepo calling her a fuckup even though I don't remember her ever doing much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

Leia was really weird cause she was the best character, but they started dumping on her for no real reason. I remember Teepo calling her a fuckup even though I don't remember her ever doing much.
teepo didn't really call her a fuckup, and her not doing much was kind of her arc. She was just a normal person bumming around with god, a veteran mercenary, a skilled strategist, a girl with magic powers, and the protagonist.

Is the scene of Milla telling her to stop thinking she's useless not in the Jude side story? because if so that's, uh, kind of a huge cut and would alone make Milla's side better, lol.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's been a while since I played the game, and I only played Milla's side so eh, I don't really remember scenes like that. I just thought it was weird that they singled out Leia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It was her big arc. Milla tells her 'stop thinking you're inferior to anyone else here.' so it's kind of the opposite of singling her out or picking on her.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Leia visibly struggles in cutscenes for a while after she joins up. The game never points a billion arrows at it saying "Leia's tired!" so it flies over a lot of heads. That's where Teepo/Elize bringing that up comes from. Which is right when Leia has her breakdown about being useless in Kanbalar which is on both sides.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

teepo didn't really call her a fuckup, and her not doing much was kind of her arc. She was just a normal person bumming around with god, a veteran mercenary, a skilled strategist, a girl with magic powers, and the protagonist.

Is the scene of Milla telling her to stop thinking she's useless not in the Jude side story? because if so that's, uh, kind of a huge cut and would alone make Milla's side better, lol.

I remember there being a couple of scenes like that but probably not the one where she says that straight up. Not too surprising though, since Xillia has a bad habit of locking some pretty significant characteristion and character development behind only one of the paths. (Milla side never even gets Alvin's actual betrayal and his whole thing in act 3 from what i've heard)

Anyway, I like Milla and Leia's relationship. They have cute victory skits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

leia proves that she is the most powerful character in xillia when she calls gilland a tool

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

leia proves that she is the most powerful character in xillia when she calls gilland a tool

If Milla wasn't in the game Leia'd probably be my favourite character.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Leia was cool cause she used a staff as the martial arts tool it is and that's cool.

Also, she's melee Natalia. Down to the stat spread I wanna say.

Actually, the Xillia 1 party is pretty similar to the Abyss party in general, but maybe that's just because they are both 6 man teams. Similar in the sense of combat roles, not story.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BrightWing posted:

Leia was cool cause she used a staff as the martial arts tool it is and that's cool.

Also, she's melee Natalia. Down to the stat spread I wanna say.

Actually, the Xillia 1 party is pretty similar to the Abyss party in general, but maybe that's just because they are both 6 man teams. Similar in the sense of combat roles, not story.

Milla->Anise
Jude->Guy
Alvin->Luke
Elize->Tear
Rowen->Jade
Leia->Natalia?

I think the only place the parallel kind of breaks is that Anise's roles get split between Alvin and Milla. Milla's definitely the melee/spellcaster hybrid, but Alvin's the one with the big windup attacks.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Tales Channel just tweeted that a new PV is in final editing and planned to be released in "a few days." They attached a teaser image, linked for completeness.

I hope it's got all our new characters in it. I hope it has their voices in it. Also, I hope we find out who the gently caress Number Two is. (More combat would also be wonderful.)

Erg posted:

Milla->Anise
Jude->Guy
Alvin->Luke
Elize->Tear
Rowen->Jade
Leia->Natalia?

I think the only place the parallel kind of breaks is that Anise's roles get split between Alvin and Milla. Milla's definitely the melee/spellcaster hybrid, but Alvin's the one with the big windup attacks.

I assumed Alvin was Guy since they're partner characters who steal all the "classic" attacks, and Elise was Anise since they're little girls who fight through mascots and are heavy dark casters (though the hybrid role is Milla).

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Erg posted:

Milla->Anise
Jude->Guy
Alvin->Luke
Elize->Tear
Rowen->Jade
Leia->Natalia?

Exactly this. The fact that Alvin is Karol done right was always awesome. Anise always felt like she needed a few more spells, but Bloody Howling made up for it.

I'm also the weirdo that likes a caster focused party if I can get away with it. Luke/Tear/Jade/Anise for example. Fun was pretty much learning how to keep combos going long enough so the casters could chain cast with each other.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Could anyone offer some tips for equipment/fusion in Zestiria? I stopped playing for a few days and dont have any idea what to do with this grid.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unless you're playing on hard ignore the whole dumb system and use whatever has the biggest numbers

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Don't actually do that but also don't like grind for equipment fusions either when it'll get replaced in a few hours. Build the best skills you can out of the equipment that you have and upgrade when the numbers start getting more useful than the skills.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OviA2xmroPk

New PV is out. Lots of cutscene, opening theme preview, no combat. At least it had the voices I hoped for. Maybe the upcoming Famitsu will tell us who that new Exorcist is, the lady with the long blonde hair.

The evil Savior is named Arthurius, so that's something.

No English trailer yet.

e: here's Eleanor hanging out with the party, though. Take whatever you want from that.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 14, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cheered when that theme song came on

it's so good. omg. i love it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also rok n' rou is shown fighting a dude who looks like him with a long sword, so my prediction is he's from a clan of swordsman and his dad/brother killed his mom/sister/girlfriend because reasons and he'll use his longsword only to kill his dad/brother

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They said something like he treats the sword as precious as if it's his own life/doesn't even consider it a weapon so my guess is still that it's some sort of memento so he refuses to damage it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gonna no sell rok n' rou, huh

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I kind of liked it, actually, I just didn't comment on it.

Y'all read a lot into stuff I just don't really bother posting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the place velvet and ky kiske were fighting looks a lot like the final dungeon of zestiria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4rauL0tKgo

and 'artorius's throne'

quote:

The evil Savior is named Arthurius, so that's something.

im thinking a thought

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, I figured it's Arthurius because Zestiria has that whole Arthurian thing going on, it's the final dungeon, and I don't think there's another Arthur in the geography. Artorius is a Roman thing, apparently?

And yeah, there's some stuff to unpack in the guy's name for sure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's a connection between Artorius and King Arthur - there's a theory that Lucius Artorius Castus, a roman general, is the historical basis for King Arthur and the source of him as a heroic figure.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Well, they didn't upload an English trailer yet, because I guess they're too busy with the Abyssal Chronicles fan contest or something. So I made my own by draining all the life out of the planet's Mana Tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA217ytTHuM

Usual disclaimers, not official, subject to context, also occasionally I'm just bad, etc.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 15, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why didn't you sub the song

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

why didn't you sub the song

Ever subbed an insert song? It's the worst. I can't hear it over the words and I can barely hear some of the words over the song.

Anyway it's a press release week and I don't care until it stops. I'm just going to translate these as is, it'll be clearer that way.

Break Soul
[blah blah Soul explanation]can chain up to four artes. If you then activate Break Soul after the fourth in the chain, you'll lose a Soul, bringing you down to 3, but you'll reset your chain state allowing you to chain three further artes. The Break Soul itself is a powerful effect, so you can pound enemies with up to eight chains in total.

(So it's Chain Blast again, I guess.)

Velvet's Break Soul: Consume Claw
(Excited for the translation of this.)
[You enter a "monster eater" form]In the monster eater form, you gain an effect of "damage increases with your opponent's attack" if the enemy is a Beast, or "damage increases with your opponent's defense" if it's an Amorphous. Meet a certain goal in the monster eater form and you can use a powerful attack called a "secret arte" (秘術???).
Extra: Velvet's Consume Claw gets different boosts depending on the type of enemy and the Secret Arte differs as well. While in monster eater form, your HP slowly drains, but the lower your HP is when you use the Secret Arte, the more powerful it is, so you may reach its full potential depending on how you approach.

Rokurou's Break Soul: Karmic Retribution
Stop the enemy's attack and unleash a punishing counter. It's hard to use, but very powerful and useful against enemies that make sweeping strikes.

Magilou's Break Soul: Spell Absorber
Activate while the enemy is chanting to cancel all enemy chants at once and absorb their power. Gather enough power to activate a spell in response, but which spell gets cast is up to Magilou?!

Laphicet's Break Soul: Divide Pain
For five seconds after activation, a field is created that halves all damage taken from enemies. When it vanishes, all allies have their HP healed. When the field is active, it may also buff attacks and break guards.

Random footnote: "Magilou" and "Bienfu" are canon as far as the scans are.

There's a lot of other stuff on Magilou including a lot of your usual "she's a bit mysterious, find out more in hit game Tales of Berseria!" but it is confirmed that she is a human, and that she apparently "specializes in fire and water spells". Maybe that means there's an elemental split like in Xillia, and Laphicet or a third caster focuses on earth and wind?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 17, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The counter/defensive effects seem weird when break soul is being used to lengthen your arte chains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Erg posted:

The counter/defensive effects seem weird when break soul is being used to lengthen your arte chains

Agreed and I also found it unclear if you have to activate Break Soul at the end of a full chain, or if you could just pop it at will but their example was about the specific case of getting the maximum possible chain from 4 souls. The counters are not great if you have to finish a chain to use them, and somewhat better if you have to chain but can do it off of any hit. If you can do it whenever you want but it's just basically making you choose between using a Soul to chain and saving it to counter... I can... kinda see it, I guess?