Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewie23
Mar 17, 2013

Damn. It feels good to be a gangster
Forgive me if I am asking an old question but what are good shoes for someone with weak ankles? I routinely twist/sprain them whenever I walk on hiking trails IF I don't keep looking down. Which kind of defeats the purpose of hiking if I'm spending all my time looking at potential tripping hazards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I carry two lights whenever I think I will need one because if you do need it, life is gonna suck if it dies. And they all die at the worst time. Usually I carry a bright headlamp and a tiny dim flashlight that both take AAAs. If I know I will be out after dark I carry a second headlamp as well.

I live on a little farm with maybe 3-5 miles of trails on it. Some times my buddy and I, after a night of partying, go for a night hike with no lights. poo poo is creepy and stressful even on trails I have walked a hundred times, I in no way want to be stuck somewhere I don't know without one.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Chewie23 posted:

Forgive me if I am asking an old question but what are good shoes for someone with weak ankles? I routinely twist/sprain them whenever I walk on hiking trails IF I don't keep looking down. Which kind of defeats the purpose of hiking if I'm spending all my time looking at potential tripping hazards.

i recommend "stretching"

if you're actually doing running stretches before hikes and still doing this, you need a full boot. none of that worthless "mid" or "low" boot crap. something with actual ankle support.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

i recommend "stretching"

if you're actually doing running stretches before hikes and still doing this, you need a full boot. none of that worthless "mid" or "low" boot crap. something with actual ankle support.

A good pair of full boots is your best bet. And don't buy them online without first trying them on.

Great boots are a life-changing experience. As for brands, I find that everyone has their own preference. Go try a bunch on and see what you like. (Also always go for goretex)

Chewie23
Mar 17, 2013

Damn. It feels good to be a gangster

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

A good pair of full boots is your best bet. And don't buy them online without first trying them on.

Great boots are a life-changing experience. As for brands, I find that everyone has their own preference. Go try a bunch on and see what you like. (Also always go for goretex)

Fair enough. I'll do some research and see what fits.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Whats the go to waterproofing? My REI eVent jacket is about 2 years old and starting to lose its repellency. I wash is periodically but I think its time to redo the DWR. I've tried Nikwax in the past but I feel like it needs constant reapplication. Is the Granger spray any better or is there another holy miracle product out there?

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Blinkman987 posted:

Climbed 4377 at Joshua Tree two weeks ago with my wilderness training course and I like bouldering so long as I'm moving up, not down. I am generally uncomfortable with heights, but I believe that mindset is something I can also improve with time. Overall it was pretty fun.

This weekend is snow hiking to make sure we can carry our gear and that everything works for 3-day snow camp. I strongly believe I will hate snow camping, but I'll at least get to try it and most of this gear I'd have to buy for my trip at the end of the year anyway.

Speaking of stuff to buy-- I continue to use a my Petzl headlamp from about 2009. I have no idea how many hours are on it. Not that many? I've looked up replacement bulbs for this thing and they're really expensive when I can even find them since the model is so old. How long can the bulb be expected to last? Do people pack a second headlamp if they're going out for a multi-day trip in the backcountry?

Thats a fun climb! Did you guys spot the petroglyphs near the top of the canyon on the way up?

As for the headlamp, if its an LED buld that should last just short of forever. Extra batteries are you best bet. And if it ever dies you can pick up a new headlamp for $20-$30 just about anywhere.

If you're really concerned about losing your headlamp (due to dead batteries, blown light, accidental dunk in a lake) then taking a small flashlight or lantern as backup is okay. I personally prefer the small Luci inflatable solar lantern. Just clip it on the outside of your pack to charge while your hiking. It's also nice to use at night to provide light for a tent or campsite.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Verman posted:

...but I feel like it needs constant reapplication.

All DWR needs a constant reapplication (once it's worn off). It's a coating, that is literally how it works. Washing your item more often can make the coating last longer, but if it's been 2 years and you're just now reapplying, I'd say you've done a good job on that front. I coat my jacket once or twice a year because I wear it so often. I use Nikwax, and be aware there are all kinds now. The spray is better than the wash-in because the wash in type will coat every surface of the jacket, not just the parts you need repellency on.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Got a link to the spray? I have some washin but am afraid to use it in a top loading washer (rather than front loading) and would rather just use spray.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

mastershakeman posted:

Got a link to the spray? I have some washin but am afraid to use it in a top loading washer (rather than front loading) and would rather just use spray.

http://nikwax-usa.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=265

Or can just google nikwax spray, they sell it tons of places.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
https://www.rei.com/product/793105/revivex-air-dry-water-repellent-spray-5-oz

https://www.rei.com/product/724688/nikwax-txdirect-spray-on-water-repellent-treatment-169-fl-oz

Can find the same stuff on Amazon. Don't know if one brand is better than another, I should probably get some and redo a bunch of my soft shell jackets as well as my rain jacket

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah my old jacket was a Mountain Hardware, once the factory DWR wore off it was never the same again. I reapplied with nikwax fairly often but I feel like it never performed as well after that. It seemed like I was nikwaxing it about every 2-3 months or so. A good rain or two and it would start soaking again. I was doing the wash in as it seemed like the most effective way of getting an even coating. I have front load washer and dryer. Sometimes the DWR would still soak even right after application.

I was pretty happy with my eVent jacket, it lasted a lot longer on its factory DWR than my MH did. I followed the instructions to keep it clean. I would give it a wash every month or two as I don't wear it every day or anything. So I guess I'll just buy some more spray and really give the thing a good dousing of the white stuff.

This is the stuff I'm going to try next.
http://www.amazon.com/Grangers-GRF8...r+waterproofing

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 11, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah I've used the Granger's and it wore off pretty fast. Kinda sad.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
It has never occurred to me to wash any of my raincoats and once my soft shell got its first permanent stain I stopped washing it. I assume if I have a top loader I should use a delicates bag?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

i recommend "stretching"

Goddamn, I wish stretching fixed my stupid problems. I have really loose joints, so I'm highly prone to injury. I have to be careful all the time because I can and have sprained ankles walking calmly on a flat sidewalk. Full support boots are a must for people born with garbage connective tissue.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I wonder why they can't just put the stuff they use to treat the jackets in the factory in a can and sell it. I guess it's planned obsolescence.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
On that topic, what are some good, resoleable, waterproof boots? Cost is not an issue if they will last more then one to two seasons at most of my boots seem to.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
What are some adequate hiking socks that DON'T cost $25 a pair? I'm not in the merino wool tax bracket, but would like something better than the cotton bulk package socks I've been using by default.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Time Cowboy posted:

What are some adequate hiking socks that DON'T cost $25 a pair? I'm not in the merino wool tax bracket, but would like something better than the cotton bulk package socks I've been using by default.

Costco's Merino blend hiking socks are quality and they are $12 for four pairs.

EDIT: Or buy the same ones on Amazon for $19 (4-pack).

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Hungryjack posted:

Costco's Merino blend hiking socks are quality and they are $12 for four pairs.

EDIT: Or buy the same ones on Amazon for $19 (4-pack).

Awesome, thank you!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The spray on stuff works best if you toss it into the dryer for a while so the material really soaks up the spray. Per Gore's directions you don't need anything fancy like tech wash: http://www.gore-tex.com/en-us/support/washing-instructions

I find that my goretex and other laminate clothes degrade in performance not because of the DWR wearing out, but because the laminate is basically dirty. My vague understanding is that oils/dirt/etc clog the pours and you end up getting wet from the lack of breathability. DWR seems to just be something that is put on to make people think "drat this thing repels water!".

My whitewater kayaking drysuit/dry top are gore, and the DWR wears off really fast on those pieces of gear due to the whole being the water constantly thing. As long as I wash them once a season the waterproofing works great.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Wigwam Men's Cool-Lite Hiker Pro Crew Length Sock, Black, Large are a lot more expensive (around $12/pair) but will last literal years of hard use.

Given the nature of hiking socks, you don't need more than a few pairs since even on very long outings you will likely just be rotating them, so it often pays to just get a couple more expensive sets rather than a drawer full of cheaper ones. Obviously if you have both no socks and a tiny sock budget this isn't applicable, but in general is advice I try to follow.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Also always go for goretexLeather

Fixed this for you. Leather is a wonder material that is durable, naturally wear resistant, regulates temperature and moisture well, and is naturally water resistant, or fully waterproof with some sno seal.

bongwizzard posted:

On that topic, what are some good, resoleable, waterproof boots? Cost is not an issue if they will last more then one to two seasons at most of my boots seem to.

It's all personal preference, but I especially love my Lowa boots. Mine were around ~200$ when I bought them, so you might find better pricing if you look around, but these things have just been incredible for comfort from day one, and are still in fantastic shape six years later. Plus, they're made in Germany.

Generally speaking, if you're looking for resoleability, look for something with a Goodyear welt. It's a very labor intensive old world style of stitching the sole, instead of glue like you largely see nowadays. I don't know if they have hiking boots, but Carolinas are loved by AI and Redwing makes excellent boots here in the USA, off the top of my head.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm tempted to just try some swiftwicks socks on my next trip because they're pretty awesome for running/cycling

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
trekking poles help a gently caress load if you're prone to rolling/twisting/etc your ankles too

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

While we're on the subject of clothing basics, I have really appreciated ExOfficio boxer briefs on hiking trips. Basically they are made of a tough material that dries really fast, which means they stay cleaner and more comfortable. Amazon has them for around $15 a pair which is a lot but your butt is worth it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Fixed this for you. Leather is a wonder material that is durable, naturally wear resistant, regulates temperature and moisture well, and is naturally water resistant, or fully waterproof with some sno seal.

It's all personal preference, but I especially love my Lowa boots. Mine were around ~200$ when I bought them, so you might find better pricing if you look around, but these things have just been incredible for comfort from day one, and are still in fantastic shape six years later. Plus, they're made in Germany.

Generally speaking, if you're looking for resoleability, look for something with a Goodyear welt. It's a very labor intensive old world style of stitching the sole, instead of glue like you largely see nowadays. I don't know if they have hiking boots, but Carolinas are loved by AI and Redwing makes excellent boots here in the USA, off the top of my head.

I am biased against leather boots due to wearing cheap surplus army boots through most of my teens and 20's, but I realize that is what $25 boots are like. However, when I used to work at construction sites I bought a really nice pair of Redwings, took the time to go to one of their stores, was correctly fitted, all that. And after a month of daily wear I gave them away as they never stopped hurting my feet and were total sweat boxes. I tried every style of sock, a few insoles, nothing helped. My fear is dropping that much cash on some thing that I will not be able to really judge the actual fit and comfort of in-store. I am going to look for a local retailer for Lowas, as that is exactly what I am looking for but I am going to be salty as gently caress if they end up not working. I just hate how fast I burn through shoes/boots and I hate unrepairable stuff.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

While we're on the subject of clothing basics, I have really appreciated ExOfficio boxer briefs on hiking trips. Basically they are made of a tough material that dries really fast, which means they stay cleaner and more comfortable. Amazon has them for around $15 a pair which is a lot but your butt is worth it.

I went commando for like 17 years until I found these amazing undies. I now own like 10 pairs and they rule. All are like 2-3 years old and the elastic is still kicking. I routinely go on week to two week trips with only three pairs. I can wash them in a sink and they are bone dry by morning.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 12, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I wear these every day. I grew up in a humid area, so you learn to appreciate decent underwear. I have some pairs of SmartWool underwear that I use for hiking / backpacking, but that's really more for just keeping them separate at this point.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

OSU_Matthew posted:

While I do like leather boots (have multiple pairs of both steel toes and regular), I feel like goretex takes less maintenance to upkeep for a while and to keep up waterproofing, which makes it ideal for long-term hiking boots. (See opinion on Redwing below)

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

trekking poles help a gently caress load if you're prone to rolling/twisting/etc your ankles too
Seconding the trekking poles. After hiking with people with knee/hip/back difficulties, trekking poles help a LOT, especially when going downhill.

bongwizzard posted:

I am biased against leather boots due to wearing cheap surplus army boots through most of my teens and 20's, but I realize that is what $25 boots are like. However, when I used to work at construction sites I bought a really nice pair of Redwings, took the time to go to one of their stores, was correctly fitted, all that. And after a month of daily wear I gave them away as they never stopped hurting my feet and were total sweat boxes. I tried every style of sock, a few insoles, nothing helped. My fear is dropping that much cash on some thing that I will not be able to really judge the actual fit and comfort of in-store. I am going to look for a local retailer for Lowas, as that is exactly what I am looking for but I am going to be salty as gently caress if they end up not working. I just hate how fast I burn through shoes/boots and I hate unrepairable stuff.
I had the same problem with Redwing (at least their steeltoes - I too work in a steel toe field). For me they are loving terrible. I do realize that some people think they are great, and have no problems with them - which is why I was reticent to speak about brands in my initial post. (They've also had recall issues with their steeltoes across BROAD swaths of their boots the past couple of years.)

(If you want steeltoes I do recommend wolverines, while we are on the subject of brands.)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Are there australians, preferably queenslanders here?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bongwizzard posted:

However, when I used to work at construction sites I bought a really nice pair of Redwings, took the time to go to one of their stores, was correctly fitted, all that. And after a month of daily wear I gave them away as they never stopped hurting my feet and were total sweat boxes. I tried every style of sock, a few insoles, nothing helped.

I had the same problem with Redwing (at least their steeltoes - I too work in a steel toe field). For me they are loving terrible. I do realize that some people think they are great, and have no problems with them - which is why I was reticent to speak about brands in my initial post. (They've also had recall issues with their steeltoes across BROAD swaths of their boots the past couple of years.)

If you want steeltoes I do recommend wolverines, while we are on the subject of brands.)

I think you're spot on with the maintenance aspect, that part does suck about leather. I only really do it every couple of trips though.

You know, I just literally bought my first pair of Redwing boots last week, and I've actually been having the exact same problems both you guys describe, with blisters and some ankle bruising and what have you. I figured that it was just part of the break in period, so I just chalked it up to they'll get better with time, but I'm starting to wonder if they won't. Huh... Thanks for mentioning that! Good to know I'm not alone there. The quality is top notch though.

I will double down on my Lowa recommendation though, there wasn't really any break in period for me, they fit and performed great right out of the box. I believe REI carries Lowas, certainly worth trying out a pair there, especially with their year long love it or return it policy. They've been fantastic trudging through mud, rain, snow, and the heat.

E: Funny you mention wolverines, I had a second hand pair I wore down till the soles wore through, loved them so much I bought a brand new pair which were completely awful in every way imaginable. My feet boiled alive, the leather cracked, and the fit was completely cattywampus. I also tried a steel toe version of the same boot, which absolutely murdered my toes and wound up getting returned.

Most comfortable daily wear boots I've found are Merrell Moabs, though they're delaminating at the sole after just a year.

I suspect there's no blanket answer to footwear :(

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 12, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I've been really happy with my Danner boots. I've had them for years, I've beat the hell out of them and they've held up great. After about 5 years they finally need to be resoled. Expensive but worth it.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

theroachman posted:

I guess it's planned obsolescence.

No, it's not. The coating is DWR and is just that - a coating on the face of the fabric. It wears off over time. It has nothing to do with planned obsolescence. A coating cannot last forever. Even the old school canvas and wax jackets had to be re-waxed every so often.

n8r posted:

Per Gore's directions you don't need anything fancy like tech wash: http://www.gore-tex.com/en-us/support/washing-instructions

I find that my goretex and other laminate clothes degrade in performance not because of the DWR wearing out, but because the laminate is basically dirty. My vague understanding is that oils/dirt/etc clog the pours and you end up getting wet from the lack of breathability. DWR seems to just be something that is put on to make people think "drat this thing repels water!".

You are correct that you don't need fancy tech wash, but you do still need to reapply the DWR when it wears off. "When the factory applied treatment can no longer be reactivated, apply a new water-repellent treatment (available at local outdoor retailers) to the garment’s outer fabric."

You are half correct. When the face fabric gets dirty, the gore material does not work properly. When the face fabric wets out (due to lack of DWR), the gore also does not work properly. Both washing your item and reapplying the DWR as needed will increase the life span of the garment. DWR helps the gore material to work, it's not just a "drat this thing repels water!" thing until you start coating fleeces and t-shirts.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think you're spot on with the maintenance aspect, that part does suck about leather. I only really do it every couple of trips though.

You know, I just literally bought my first pair of Redwing boots last week, and I've actually been having the exact same problems both you guys describe, with blisters and some ankle bruising and what have you. I figured that it was just part of the break in period, so I just chalked it up to they'll get better with time, but I'm starting to wonder if they won't. Huh... Thanks for mentioning that! Good to know I'm not alone there. The quality is top notch though.

I will double down on my Lowa recommendation though, there wasn't really any break in period for me, they fit and performed great right out of the box. I believe REI carries Lowas, certainly worth trying out a pair there, especially with their year long love it or return it policy. They've been fantastic trudging through mud, rain, snow, and the heat.

E: Funny you mention wolverines, I had a second hand pair I wore down till the soles wore through, loved them so much I bought a brand new pair which were completely awful in every way imaginable. My feet boiled alive, the leather cracked, and the fit was completely cattywampus. I also tried a steel toe version of the same boot, which absolutely murdered my toes and wound up getting returned.

Most comfortable daily wear boots I've found are Merrell Moabs, though they're delaminating at the sole after just a year.

I suspect there's no blanket answer to footwear :(

Yeah, you could probably beat regular Redwings (not to mention the steeltoes) with a bat for days and they'd hold up. They're just uncomfortable as hell.

Hiking in steeltoes is not recommended, I just 'hiked' (walked) 3.5 mi out (and 3.5 back) to/from Hoover Dam (in my Wolverines) after a short day at work in the desert south of Vegas. While my feet were not dead, 3/10 would not recommend. Steeltoes generally have a lot more room around the toe area, which leads to the foot wobbling around a bit. I like Wolverines because they stay more snug on the rest of your foot, not just the ankle.

Surprised that your second Wolverines weren't that great. I've had my leather wolverines for about 3 years, wear them constantly for work. While they have a hardcore crease right behind the steel (I kneel/crouch a lot for work) and some scuffs, they've treated me very well (as did my first, suede pair of Wolverine steeltoes). Gel insoles in both, of course. Will get pic on monday.

I did just look at my hiking boots, Lowa Renegades (Goretex). They've held up fairly well after a year and a half or so of off-and-on hiking, and I must say that they're a pleasure to wear. I typically forget completely about them, even after walking 12+ miles in a day over hilly terrain (I'm looking at you, Santa Cruz Island...). Excited to take them out to field camp this year.

Edit: Herp derp I can spell.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Seconding the trekking poles. After hiking with people with knee/hip/back difficulties, trekking poles help a LOT, especially when going downhill.

100% truth. My knees are garbage, and every summit ended up with severe pain as soon as I started descent. Even with knee braces I was limping off every mountain. Then I got poles and the pain was alleviated substantially. There were even instances where I never put my braces on.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Picnic Princess posted:

100% truth. My knees are garbage, and every summit ended up with severe pain as soon as I started descent. Even with knee braces I was limping off every mountain. Then I got poles and the pain was alleviated substantially. There were even instances where I never put my braces on.

People seem to think that poles are for ascent, but I always stow mine for ascent. If I need to kick in 4WD uphill, I've got some perfectly good hands for that.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Poles are for barreling downhill with tired legs.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

People seem to think that poles are for ascent, but I always stow mine for ascent. If I need to kick in 4WD uphill, I've got some perfectly good hands for that.

I never really understood this because I always felt ascent was all about muscle power while descent was all about joint stress. Poles are great at relieving stress on joints by distributing weight but they don't really add more power, unless you're dragging yourself up with them but then yeah, just skip them and use your drat hands directly.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Reformed Tomboy posted:

No, it's not. The coating is DWR and is just that - a coating on the face of the fabric. It wears off over time. It has nothing to do with planned obsolescence. A coating cannot last forever. Even the old school canvas and wax jackets had to be re-waxed every so often.

You are correct that you don't need fancy tech wash, but you do still need to reapply the DWR when it wears off. "When the factory applied treatment can no longer be reactivated, apply a new water-repellent treatment (available at local outdoor retailers) to the garment’s outer fabric."

You are half correct. When the face fabric gets dirty, the gore material does not work properly. When the face fabric wets out (due to lack of DWR), the gore also does not work properly. Both washing your item and reapplying the DWR as needed will increase the life span of the garment. DWR helps the gore material to work, it's not just a "drat this thing repels water!" thing until you start coating fleeces and t-shirts.

I was commenting on people reporting that the factory applied DWR lasts way longer than the aftermarket DWR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I'm about due for my 3rd pair of Lowas. I bought these in 2012 and I typically wear them 5+ days per week and my Renegades are just now starting to show some real major wear.