Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Lurdiak posted:

You're thinking of the Vita.

theyre both dead

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i own a wii u and a lot of good games for it and also two splatoon squid hats they were giving out in time square for splatoon's launch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

oddium posted:

i own a wii u and a lot of good games for it and also two splatoon squid hats they were giving out in time square for splatoon's launch

there are no games for it though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

there are no games for it though

There are a lot, including 2015's GOTY Mario Maker.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Don't get Stux'd

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have never been trolled and never will be.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

In Training posted:

Dunno why that's GOTY considering it's been around forever and is essentially the devs just saying, here kids, we got sick and tired of making mediocre platformers, how about you give it a try.

Mario64 and maybe Sunshine are the last games that even had a plot that made sense.

The Wii U was ruined by not having a Zelda or new Metroid game made for it. But that's just me talking out my rear end based on what I've read. My last console was a gamecube that I got in 2008 for 25 dollars. It was pretty good.

I'll buy a PS4 maybe if I get this fellowship I applied for. But then I need to purchase a TV.

:negative: Why must things cost money.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

In Training posted:

thats not a game, its a romhack tool given an official release

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
also such an incredible claim to make given that 2015s GOTY is bloodborne and there is nothing even close to unseating it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ravane posted:

Mario64 and maybe Sunshine are the last games that even had a plot that made sense.

Yes, I Agree

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ravane posted:

Is this something that even matters to most people?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sonic has always been superior to mario as his games have always had far more coherent plotlines

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ravane posted:

Dunno why that's GOTY considering it's been around forever and is essentially the devs just saying, here kids, we got sick and tired of making mediocre platformers, how about you give it a try.

The Wii U was ruined by not having a Zelda or new Metroid game made for it. But that's just me talking out my rear end based on what I've read. My last console was a gamecube that I got in 2008 for 25 dollars. It was pretty good.

I'll buy a PS4 maybe if I get this fellowship I applied for. But then I need to purchase a TV.

I don't think you even like video games...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ravane posted:

Do you live in a prison cell?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ravane posted:

Lmao

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FanaticalMilk posted:

Mario kills koopas, goombas, lakitus left and right, but nobody ever thinks to ask why? At least watch_dogs Aiden thought he was doing the right thing.

In this Super Mario Brothers 3D World, an alien creature comes to town and is taken by bowser (why, who knows why?). So Mario and friends go on a genocide simply to save this alien creature. It's the equivalent of E.T. coming to that kid's house, but then the military takes ET for testing, and the kid goes rambo killing all military personnel whether they were involved or not. How do we know if that goomba had a family? Is bowser truly evil? What is his motivation? Perhaps his first born was a small baby koopa that was mistakenly stepped on by Mario, or perhaps one of Mario's pipes malfunctioned causing his child to drown, leading him to seek revenge?

These are the concepts I'd like the Mario-verse to explore.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

also such an incredible claim to make given that 2015s GOTY is bloodborne and there is nothing even close to unseating it.

That's true. They're two of my favorite games ever and I've been playing them on and off again for months (and in BBs case over a year at this point)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ravane posted:

Mario kills koopas, goombas, lakitus left and right, but nobody ever thinks to ask why? At least watch_dogs Aiden thought he was doing the right thing.

In this Super Mario Brothers 3D World, an alien creature comes to town and is taken by bowser (why, who knows why?). So Mario and friends go on a genocide simply to save this alien creature. It's the equivalent of E.T. coming to that kid's house, but then the military takes ET for testing, and the kid goes rambo killing all military personnel whether they were involved or not. How do we know if that goomba had a family? Is bowser truly evil? What is his motivation? Perhaps his first born was a small baby koopa that was mistakenly stepped on by Mario, or perhaps one of Mario's pipes malfunctioned causing his child to drown, leading him to seek revenge?

These are the concepts I'd like the Mario-verse to explore.

You have to be a Taint Reaper parachute account, you just have to be.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You have to be a Taint Reaper parachute account, you just have to be.

No, Taint Reaper is usually funny.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ravane posted:

look man i know you're sad you can't play video games but it's okay, we can get through this together

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Eh, let's not go crazy...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'm going to play harvest moon a wonderful life and stardew valley at the same time and see which one is more charming

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

Plot doesn't matter in platformers

this isn't an opinion this is a fact btw

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, let's not go crazy...

Taint Reap'd again...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

i'm going to play harvest moon a wonderful life and stardew valley at the same time and see which one is more charming

a wonderful life is slow, it's a whole different world of farming than stardew

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Plot "matters" more in indie platformers and in games that are more action-y or adventure-y than platformers. That's basically it.

Looper posted:

Is Wonderful Life the one that was really dull or am I thinking of another gamecube one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macaluso posted:

Plot doesn't matter in platformers

this isn't an opinion this is a fact btw

Klonoa had a pretty cute story

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wanna play klonoa

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

i wanna play klonoa

It's probably my favourite PS1 platformer, not that there was really a ton of competition on that console.
Well, there was a ton of bad, haven't worked 3D out yet competition.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Klonoa had a pretty cute story

Platformers can have cute stories sure but you can still skip over them and the gameplay won't be hurt at all so they can also have bad stories and not matter

edit: Klonoa was a set of games that I missed out on but I always thought the mascot was cute

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think the WiiU is a better console than the XBox One. Really, a PS4 and a WiiU are what should be plugged into your television, and if you can swing it, hook a computer up to the tele too.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i wanna play klonoa

I think both GBA games are on the Virtual Console now. I remember the first GBA Klonoa being pretty dope.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
wheres that drat shadow the hedgehog

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
PSX Klonoa is really good but gets kinda annoying with its late game challenges so I never beat it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Colonel posted:

i wanna play klonoa

klonoa wii is v good, also you can switch the voice acting to ps1 sounds instead of bad va so it's good thhat way too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

PSX Klonoa is really good but gets kinda annoying with its late game challenges so I never beat it

I beat it, rescued all the things and did the super hard extra level. Two or three times. I loved that game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

klonoa 2 is inferior but still good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euiA3kp7u4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzrAyqLGvgI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wasn't' there a Wii remake for it I think?

Also that extra bonus level after unlocking everything. Goddamn that is probably the hardest level and requires you to do some advanced techs with Klonoa to pull it off.

• Locked thread