Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Did the tire rack starting line course this last saturday at NOLA raceway. Highly recommend it if you get the chance. Came home, instantly ordered front sway bar and camber plates. Holy crap is my veloster bad in that aspect. Learned a lot and found some respect for my brakes and how hard you need to hit them.

Also, got out some really bad hot pipe tubing that was made out of flexy radiator hoses with Xeonon element forum made aluminum replacement with heatsink. I can actually hear I have a turbo, solid power application instead of weird shakey power, and get cool wooshy sounds. Hopefully by mid summer I'll have my VT turbo solidly competing with focus st's and brz's in my area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Too bad Honda's current styling is universally rear end.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Noice! What colour, so I can wave? I see a red one running around West Street a lot, and a yellow one parked with a bunch of Shelby decals.

I still have problems starting on an incline but I'm slowly getting more confident. Only stalled her once yesterday. The Recaros are a weird adjustment to make but I think I like them.

Silver. (I know, I know, worst color).

For starting on a hill, I just hold the parking brake and let it out as I start to roll forward. I got the cloth seats. Tacky but easier to sit in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ltugo posted:

Silver. (I know, I know, worst color).

For starting on a hill, I just hold the parking brake and let it out as I start to roll forward. I got the cloth seats. Tacky but easier to sit in.

Wrong! Silver is the best color! :v:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

How is that still considered a hatchback? The only difference between that and a sedan is that the rear deck includes the window. Also that car likes like it was crapped out by a 15 year old ricer.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/the-ford-focus-rs-rx-will-be-ken-blocks-600-horsepower-1762395456

Nothing like a Focus with the same HP and Torque as a Corvette z06.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Christobevii3 posted:

Did the tire rack starting line course this last saturday at NOLA raceway. Highly recommend it if you get the chance. Came home, instantly ordered front sway bar and camber plates. Holy crap is my veloster bad in that aspect. Learned a lot and found some respect for my brakes and how hard you need to hit them.

Also, got out some really bad hot pipe tubing that was made out of flexy radiator hoses with Xeonon element forum made aluminum replacement with heatsink. I can actually hear I have a turbo, solid power application instead of weird shakey power, and get cool wooshy sounds. Hopefully by mid summer I'll have my VT turbo solidly competing with focus st's and brz's in my area.

That reminds me, apparently the ST Octane Academy has been revived and to be continued for at least another year at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah after being in limbo late last year (which was of course immediately after I bought my '16 FiST) and is now open for registration. I believe the event is free if you bought a new ST within the last year (but bringing a friend costs +$250) - you obviously just have to get yourself to Utah and find a place to crash for one night. So I guess I'm going to have to consider making a trip to SLC this year...

Has anybody else here done this already or planning on going? Based on the article below it's sounds like it's worth the extra travel expenses. There's an additional extra day of driving school but it's like $1500 and I can buy a new bike and/or Stage 1 plus a catback for that money, so no thank you.

http://tf04.kinja.com/st-octane-academy-1611255959

Rhyno posted:

Too bad Honda's current styling is universally rear end.

Seriously. Nice work Honda one holding out with one of the last forbidden fruit Gran Turismo fantasy cars for decades until finally mulling over bring it to the US once the styling has absolutely flatlined in addition to the latest Civic hatch now looking more like a BMW 3-series GT than a Honda hatchback. Plus it will be likely be a Civic Type R with a turbo, which would be like Subaru offering a N/A STI...so much for that 8000+RPM redline fantasy.

Whatever...Nissan's super high revving NeoVVL 4cyl engines from the 90s were so much cooler and more special anyways...and I've already had my time with one of those (SR16VE w/ N1 cams swapped into a B13 SE-R with the finest I-4 cam changeover sound I've ever experienced).

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 5, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It's worth the trip for sure if you don't live too far away (i.e. if it won't cost you a *huge* amount of money to do it).

I made a road trip out of it and took 3 days to drive up from Phoenix in April last year, and 2 days driving back using all little 2 lane scenic roads after leaving Flagstaff, and stayed at strange little out of the way hotels every night except the night before the event where I stayed at the 'event' hotel which is really the only one close, and is where you should stay if you can, since if there's a wreck or something on the interstate and you are coming from SLC, you are gonna get hosed.

The thing at Hoonigan HQ the night before was interesting, but not really 'awesome', and IMO it's not a big deal if you miss it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

They're doing the octane academy for the RS. I don't think I can justify flying from the east cost though.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

KidDynamite posted:

They're doing the octane academy for the RS. I don't think I can justify flying from the east cost though.

I figured they would eventually have a different event entirely, just not anytime soon. Is it the same as the ST event or do they actually let you do a lot more?

True though, the ST event is still kind of lightweight but if the related travel expenses are low enough I would consider it as it would probably make for a fun weekend get away (would be flying from Massachusetts)...originally I was just going to re-gift it to my brother if he had any interest in it as his combined birthday/xmas present but that's back before it looked like it was finished for good so that never happened. And unlike myself he actually has done plenty of track days + hours of Lemons racing so he would probably say "thanks but no thanks" and I would totally understand. In fact being on the east coast I'd much rather waste my money on this this instead.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 5, 2016

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
I wish I could afford a trip to Utah from Maryland, I'd love to do the octane academy. I'm adjusting to the FoST pretty well I think, and drinking up more knowledge and experience would be amazing. Wish they could do 2, east coast and west coast.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Anyone suspension setup tips for fwd veloster? I have camber plates now. I also debating on settings of sway bar, seems MacPherson are OK with heavier sway. Maybe 1.5-1.75 negative front and 1 negative rear

Rear has 1/8" toe in from factory, 0 up front. Thinking about doing 1/16 toe out front, 0 in rear.

Got some kumho v720s on spare wheels to try this weekend at auto cross too. Should be major improvement over daily kumho Les.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I'm not a suspension guru but front toe out seems like a bad idea.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
For autocross or daily driving? I'd imagine for autocross would be good ID imagine.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm too old to modify my daily driver any more. Plus, I actually enjoy having a bit of clearance so I can leave my neighborhood and hit the stupid drainage ditch on a yellow light without bottoming out the car.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What does bottoming out have to do with alignment...but ok?

In a hurry after work I got my camber plates on and just maxed them out (negative 3 camber for autocross) and kumho v720 tires/wheels on. Holy poo poo is this thing a blast and darty now. You can do a u turn like a gokart. I'll hopefully have good weather and can mark a -1.0-1.5 daily and -3.0 match for autocross.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The turning radius on the Veloster is one of the great things about it. It's perfect for city driving and u turns.

Can't really help out with suspension chat on the Veloster as mine's stock but smaller/lighter wheels would probably help too, the factory 18's aren't that light.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
I went to the Octane Academy last year and enjoyed myself immensely. Just beware that if you go in the summer and aren't used to 100F temperatures, you'll be pretty tired at the end of it.

Amusingly, I flew out from Maryland and ended up meeting a guy who lived a mile away from me at the event. There is an active and helpful community of ST owners in the DC area.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
FoST and FiST owners, how do you guys clean the front grille? I was thinking of wrapping a microfiber cloth around the handle of my snow brush or something for a quick wipe, but I was wondering if there's a "proper" way to do it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

FoST and FiST owners, how do you guys clean the front grille? I was thinking of wrapping a microfiber cloth around the handle of my snow brush or something for a quick wipe, but I was wondering if there's a "proper" way to do it.

Clean? People clean their cars? Strange indeed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hot pressurized water?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mariana Horchata posted:

I figured they would eventually have a different event entirely, just not anytime soon. Is it the same as the ST event or do they actually let you do a lot more?

No one knows yet as the only reason people know about it is Ford sent out a die-cast model of the RS and a letter of invitation to a few people that ordered. I imagine it will be the same thing with maybe some special skid pad drift mode time. Still waiting for ANY information from Ford about what my order status is. All I know is my car is built and sitting in Germany. The wait is hell. I have to say I lucked out though because there are horror stories about dealers taking deposits and putting in orders without allocations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It's a piece of black plastic on the front of the car. It'll be fine with a normal wash.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I went out and test drove a Fiesta ST today. I wanted mainly to find out if I was going to fit in it OK (I'm 6'3") and had no problems at all in the stock seats. I'm going to go back this weekend when the dealer near me gets one in with Recaros to see how I feel about those. Definitely a lot of fun. Someone had also just traded in a '15 Focus ST3 with a bunch of Cobb modifications, blowoff valve, etc we took out as well for the fun of it (I wanted to see how the Focus' Recaros felt, I think the Ford guy just wanted to take it out for a spin).

Then I went over to the VW dealer down the road to check out a GTI, and drat I just made this purchase more difficult. Researching hot hatches online I thought I'd clearly prefer the Fiesta, but actually sitting in and driving a GTI I liked it more than I thought I would. I really loved the interior styling of the GTI (that wheel feels great), and even though prefer the exterior styling on the ST, I can totally see why the GTI is so highly regarded in general. Both were comparable amounts of fun on suburban streets near evening rush hour.

So I guess my question for those of you with STs - other than price what made you chose it over a GTI? Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything important, or swooning over pretty trim.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
GTI is nice but cost a lot more and has the VW quirks. The suspension, engine, transmission, etc are all much nicer on the GTI but again cost. Test drive a veloster r-spec if you can. They're going under $20k and you get some of the niceness inside of the gti and size but performance of a fiesta st but cheaper parts and ease of upkeep.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Also the r spec won't have the fancy electronic bullshit that has given me such a headache.

Honestly not a bad if you never have to deal with the dealer.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Christobevii3 posted:

GTI is nice but cost a lot more and has the VW quirks. The suspension, engine, transmission, etc are all much nicer on the GTI but again cost. Test drive a veloster r-spec if you can. They're going under $20k and you get some of the niceness inside of the gti and size but performance of a fiesta st but cheaper parts and ease of upkeep.

"Performance"? Yikes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd take the GTI all day over a Fiesta. More room, more power, more refined as a daily driver.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Reztes posted:

I went out and test drove a Fiesta ST today. I wanted mainly to find out if I was going to fit in it OK (I'm 6'3") and had no problems at all in the stock seats. I'm going to go back this weekend when the dealer near me gets one in with Recaros to see how I feel about those. Definitely a lot of fun. Someone had also just traded in a '15 Focus ST3 with a bunch of Cobb modifications, blowoff valve, etc we took out as well for the fun of it (I wanted to see how the Focus' Recaros felt, I think the Ford guy just wanted to take it out for a spin).

Then I went over to the VW dealer down the road to check out a GTI, and drat I just made this purchase more difficult. Researching hot hatches online I thought I'd clearly prefer the Fiesta, but actually sitting in and driving a GTI I liked it more than I thought I would. I really loved the interior styling of the GTI (that wheel feels great), and even though prefer the exterior styling on the ST, I can totally see why the GTI is so highly regarded in general. Both were comparable amounts of fun on suburban streets near evening rush hour.

So I guess my question for those of you with STs - other than price what made you chose it over a GTI? Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything important, or swooning over pretty trim.

I think that the seats in the Fiesta will be about the same as the ones in the Focus you drove. I could be wrong, but I've autocrossed both of them and don't recall any difference in seat feel.

As far as why I chose the Focus ST over the GTI? Prepare to laugh at one of my major reasons... It is super favorably classed in SCCA autocross while the GTI is not. :v:

I also have a very good relationship with a local Ford dealer, and they gave me very good pricing so the GTI would have been a lot more money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I wanted to encourage Ford to bring more interesting small cars to the US, so I bought a Focus ST.

I liked the GTI well enough, but when I was making the call, you could not yet get a performance pack Mk.7, so that plus the above sealed the deal.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
She got washed last night. Mmmm, sexy no plate.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

veedubfreak posted:

She got washed last night. Mmmm, sexy no plate.

Golf R is nice too.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
So I am most jealous of all the tires in that picture.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ya, my hoarding is getting out of hand.

Pictured:
15" winter tires on steelies from my 11 TDI
16" winter tires on Enkie's from my 0.45 GLI
15" Nankangs on repro Porsche alloys for the bug
19" DWS tires for summer from my TDI that will go back on the R
19" Summers on the stock Cadiz wheels that came with the R
Sarus roof rack from my ancient 85 Honda Accord
Thule roof rack from my 95 Jetta

I need to sell most of this poo poo, but by god do I not want to deal with Craigslist.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

veedubfreak posted:

Ya, my hoarding is getting out of hand.

Pictured:
15" winter tires on steelies from my 11 TDI
16" winter tires on Enkie's from my 0.45 GLI
15" Nankangs on repro Porsche alloys for the bug
19" DWS tires for summer from my TDI that will go back on the R
19" Summers on the stock Cadiz wheels that came with the R
Sarus roof rack from my ancient 85 Honda Accord
Thule roof rack from my 95 Jetta

I need to sell most of this poo poo, but by god do I not want to deal with Craigslist.

You in the midwest?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Residency Evil posted:

You in the midwest?
I'm in Ohio and trying to sell a set of B8 S4 18x8 wheels if you're interested...

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Reztes posted:

Mostly cost (and no bargains/applicable discounts at the time, despite VW being in the process of going tits up while I was shopping) and especially maximum performance per dollar, and not really giving a poo poo about strokable dashes or flat folding seats. I've always wanted a GTI though (as in a Mk2) but the current product seems such a far cry from what the car that I always wanted and not a hatchback Audi Jr that is destined to disintegrate like a H&M collared shirt no matter how nice the view is inside. So that plus VW's dealer network around the Boston area also apparently sucks big time (Ford isn't that great either, but at least you have plenty of dealerships to choose from and eventually I found a diamond in the rough). I don't know why VW doesn't sell the Polo GTI in the US yet but they obviously have always gotten off on holding out us so gently caress'em.

The current GTI styling is really nice though even better than the FiST IMO (and plaid seats are always cool) and it's probably a very smooth, comfortable, and capable car but I couldn't justify paying thousands more for something that suited my needs far less than the Fiesta. Also it's not brought up much but the Fiesta ST is pretty loving loaded and has a ton of equipment that is typically optional on comparable (or even much more expensive vehicles) - however when I bought my '16 FiST I was coming from a Mercedes W201, NA Miata, and '06 WRX as my last three vehicles so perhaps that's why my Fiesta seemed like a Range Rover in comparison to me at first.

Broke down last weekend and bought myself a MBRP catback that's going on tomorrow, so looking forward to that as I've always been jealous of the awesome sound of the Abarth but would probably have to be three martinis deep before I ever went through with purchasing a Fiat Chrysler Automobile.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Out with the old (lady pulled in front of me while i had the right away and was going ~40mph)

In with the new

Can't believe how comfy and nice this thing is. No PP available unfortunately.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone interested in buying a GTI should get a SCCA membership. You get the car below invoice with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can get it below invoice without it.