Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Those are some serious assumptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Does "funny and light" mean "just like a Justice League cartoon" because that got pretty dark too.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tsob posted:

So can we assume from his "it'll be lots of action" and previous "it's nothing like the Luke Cage you knew" quote it'll be a grim n' gritty re-imagining in the vein of Daredevil and Jessica Jones? Can we just get one decent superhero show that's actually funny and light? I doubt even Iron Fist will be.

teen titans go is funny and light, maybe you should watch that instead of complaining that a show you haven't watched yet isn't catering specifically to you

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nice! It's like a

Deakul posted:

Sweet Christmas! :neckbeard:

3 Netflix shows this year! Oh, wait. JJ was last year. Oh well. Bring on Luke!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

computer parts posted:

Does "funny and light" mean "just like a Justice League cartoon" because that got pretty dark too.

Funny and light means what The Flash promised to be and then wasn't. Ever.

Brother Entropy posted:

teen titans go is funny and light, maybe you should watch that instead of complaining that a show you haven't watched yet isn't catering specifically to you

Or maybe I could get a live action show that isn't grim and gritty boiled in melodrama like all the other ones and you could stop giving me recommendations for cartoons instead? I don't have a problem with cartoons, I just want one fun live action superheroic show to balance the rest a bit. I'll watch it regardless of what it is, and probably enjoy it even if it's grim, since I liked both Daredevil and Jessica Jones, but I would like one show that's a bit less serious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Netflix shows having wildly different tones would be distracting and weird to me since they're much more closely connected to each other than the other Marvel stuff. Sorry Flash sucks, but so be it.

If you don't like any of the shows on CW or ABC, then you're just gonna have to deal with not enjoying light superhero shows.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 11, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tsob posted:

Or maybe I could get a live action show that isn't grim and gritty boiled in melodrama like all the other ones and you could stop giving me recommendations for cartoons instead? I don't have a problem with cartoons, I just want one fun live action superheroic show to balance the rest a bit. I'll watch it regardless of what it is, and probably enjoy it even if it's grim, since I liked both Daredevil and Jessica Jones, but I would like one show that's a bit less serious.

start watching tokusatsu

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I have watched some. Can you stop giving suggestions now? If it's not what I want, that's fine. Sucks for me, but fine on the whole. I'll watch it and get over it. I'd still like one if possible. In live action. And English. I don't think that's a huge ask, but I'm getting the feeling I'm alone on that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

tsob posted:

I mean, the Iron Man and Thor movies exist, Ant-Man was also very light hearted. Watch those bro.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I guess there's always rewatching The Tick if you want a fun, lighthearted superhero romp.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

tsob posted:

So can we assume from his "it'll be lots of action" and previous "it's nothing like the Luke Cage you knew" quote it'll be a grim n' gritty re-imagining in the vein of Daredevil and Jessica Jones? Can we just get one decent superhero show that's actually funny and light? I doubt even Iron Fist will be.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Luke Cage can't be lighthearted. It would massively conflict with the tone of his involvements in JJ.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Luke Cage is will be funny because visual gags on him being (mostly) invulnerable won't stop being hilarious.

"Welp, was caught in the middle of a massive explosion! Better casually saunter out of the building and stop drop and roll"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Luke Cage is will be funny because visual gags on him being (mostly) invulnerable won't stop being hilarious.

"Welp, was caught in the middle of a massive explosion! Better casually saunter out of the building and stop drop and roll"

Right? If the bar fight in JJ was an indication, his fights with normal mooks will be great.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tsob posted:

So give me an example of a show that does do this (Superhero or otherwise). Maybe there's a reason why it doesn't exist.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Agent Carter is light and breezy and really drat fun. Don't dismiss it just because Agents of SHIELD may have sucked the air out of your enthusiasm.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Narcissus1916 posted:

Agent Carter is light and breezy and really drat fun. Don't dismiss it just because Agents of SHIELD may have sucked the air out of your enthusiasm.

In a word, it's Jarvelous

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Any news who the villain(s) will be for Luke Cage?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cottonmouth, for one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

The man.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Narcissus1916 posted:

And SHIELD stopped being mediocre about 2/3rds of the way through season 1, became awesome and has been getting better ever since.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Hopefully the NYPD.

edit: I unironically think there should be a plot where Luke has allowed himself to be handcuffed and then a cop shoots him in the head while he's handcuffed, and then he goes to court with Matt Murdock as his attorney to testify against the NYPD.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 12, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'll add to the below by saying that the way in which the show coincides with the Hydra reveal in Winter Soldier is amazing and actually does make you reevaluate the way you perceived things in the previous episodes (as such things should).

jivjov posted:

And SHIELD stopped being mediocre about 2/3rds of the way through season 1, became awesome and has been getting better ever since.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

jivjov posted:

Dude, you can't say anything good about AoS on SA, it's against the rules!

It's poo poo and will always be poo poo and so is anything Whedon related.

:ssh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Deakul posted:

Dude, you can't say anything good about AoS on SA, it's against the rules!

It's poo poo and will always be poo poo and so is anything Whedon related.

:ssh:

Don't go in the AoS thread then..pretty much everyone in there is super positive about the show.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hey the Daredevil S2 splash bumper promo image thing just came up on my Netflix. It's a supremely lovely quality image of the cast, but there's a weird looking woman(?) holding a razor(?) - and does that mean they inadvertently spoiled Typhoid Mary?

E: Nm, it's probably just loving Elektra.

E2: Yeah it was.

moths fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 12, 2016

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not saying Agents of SHIELD is bad. Lordy.

I'm saying that the start of the show was a completely boring sod-all shitshow of a television arc. And so many people I know are just turned off the whole ABC brand because of it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Seconding Agent Carter is upbeat and Jarvelous.

Agents of SHIELD is also good if you can get over the weird goon bias.

Lucifer spent like 4-5 episodes as an average procedural while it worked out all the kinks and it is now also amazing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I decided to take Friday off as holiday. Going to watch so much Daredevil :getin:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rarity posted:

I decided to take Friday off as holiday. Going to watch so much Daredevil :getin:

Hah, I did the same thing :hfive:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gyges posted:

I guess there's always rewatching The Tick if you want a fun, lighthearted superhero romp.

Aren't they remaking it? I guess someone else got tired of superhero grimdark.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Snak posted:

Hopefully the NYPD.

edit: I unironically think there should be a plot where Luke has allowed himself to be handcuffed and then a cop shoots him in the head while he's handcuffed, and then he goes to court with Matt Murdock as his attorney to testify against the NYPD.

I remember casting news that Alfre Woodard was cast as Black Mariah an old and insanely named villain of Cage's. Though there was also news of a few other black characters from Cage's books cast as well, so they might all be some sort of weird underground network thing.

From a lot of the promotional material they've been showing for DD it seems like they don't even view Punisher as a nemesis.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PerniciousKnid posted:

Aren't they remaking it? I guess someone else got tired of superhero grimdark.

Grimdark is just the worst description of something that doesn't exist. Maybe Spawn or The Crow could be considered grimdark, but every other superhero movie and TV show is centered on hope, saving those weaker than you, and trying to fix the broken world.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gyges posted:

Grimdark is just the worst description of something that doesn't exist. Maybe Spawn or The Crow could be considered grimdark, but every other superhero movie and TV show is centered on hope, saving those weaker than you, and trying to fix the broken world.

And really, I can't think of anything short of laugh-track sitcoms that are less "grimdark" on the whole than the Flash.

Even mass appeal comedic-drama stuff like Bones gets pretty dark at times (though the gimmick for that show was always the gory corpses).

computer parts fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 12, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently Fu Manchu isn't public domain yet and Marvel lost their licence deal on the character a while back which has prevented them from reprinting a whole bunch of comics, so unless they've signed a new deal with the Sax Rohmer Estate we probably won't see him anytime soon. I guess they could always swap in The Yellow Claw!
Alan Moore wrote Fu Manchu into the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics but was very careful never to actually use his name.

Edit: apparently Marvel used the character recently but he'd changed his name to Zheng Zu.

They can just call him Zheng Zu then.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Superhero grimdark isn't really in popular culture, but grimdark was basically invented to describe poo poo like Warhammer 40k. Which is, by definition, grimdark.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Snak posted:

Superhero grimdark isn't really in popular culture, but grimdark was basically invented to describe poo poo like Warhammer 40k. Which is, by definition, grimdark.

Pretty sure "grimdark" was made as a word to describe Warhammer 40k and other such parodies and is never meant to be taken seriously.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Seconding Agent Carter is upbeat and Jarvelous.

Agents of SHIELD is also good if you can get over the weird goon bias.

Lucifer spent like 4-5 episodes as an average procedural while it worked out all the kinks and it is now also amazing.

Wasn't too much of a fan of Agent Carter's first season. Is the second better?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shageletic posted:

Wasn't too much of a fan of Agent Carter's first season. Is the second better?

It's pretty similar, slightly more goofy than the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The main difference between Agent Carter and SHIELD is that SHIELD tries to work around it's limitations (budget, sets, being on ABC) whereas Agent Carter embraces the limitations and creates big goofy fun out of them.