Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

wyoak posted:

I dunno man standing on the highest point in the whole world would be a cool thing to do and if you don't see how that's a draw I don't know what to say

Totally, I see the draw. But if your dropping that much and willing to risk death for both you and a bunch of poor people just for the bragging rights you're just a dick.

Also lol at that snowmobiler, he was fine and stopped and tries to catch the tumbling machine, clever mate.

How long until people start sitting on and depositing trash all over the largest mountain in the world? Should be a week or two?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

koreban posted:

Let's be honest, if they didn't have locals to pay pittances to, they'd just bring their own slightly-higher paid proles to lug their gear up mountains for them.

When you're dropping 70 grand on the trip, and sherpas are making 5-7 grand of that, you can probably afford to hire someone at 10 grand and then hope they get HAPE somewhere between camp 3 and 4 so you can finish up and leave a nice trail marker for the next group.

Why not just crush their skull in when you get back to like camp 3 or 2 on the way down?
Like I said before no one can prove a murder on the mountain.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Microwaves Mom posted:

Why not just crush their skull in when you get back to like camp 3 or 2 on the way down?
Like I said before no one can prove a murder on the mountain.

Look, these are the *job creators* we're talking about here. They're not monsters.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Wierd, when anyone says "job creator" I definitely hear "monster"

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Day Man posted:

Wierd, when anyone says "job creator" I definitely hear "monster"

:thejoke:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
*Caves in every white skull on the way down*

I'm the only Caucasian human being to summit and return on April 2nd 2016!

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

i've found my new goal in life

i'm gonna be the first human being in history to climb everest while wearing a fursuit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

wyoak posted:

I dunno man standing on the highest point in the whole world would be a cool thing to do and if you don't see how that's a draw I don't know what to say

I walked to the lavatory on an airliner at 39000 feet.

Wrap it up, mountainailures.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Let the mountain have her throne of skulls.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

wyoak posted:

hence why I would just pay the frenchman to chopper me up there and I can actually enjoy my time even longer than yellow jacket lady with my fat gently caress self

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kenzie posted:

i've found my new goal in life

i'm gonna be the first human being in history to climb everest while wearing a fursuit

Wear a yeti suit and freeze to death in a pouncing position

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Bud loves his sled too much eh, shoulda just let 'er rip on 'er own

Topher87
Jun 28, 2008
Ah, this thread again. Hello Old Friend
I think that 4 shall be the number of sacrifices required to slake Chomolungma's thirst this year.
After the last two years of false starts I am excited for the climbing to begin.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Topher87 posted:

Chomolungma

I normally just lurk these threads but I'd like to petition that we refer to any non-Sherpa on Everest as a Chomo.

TIA :shobon:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Backweb posted:

I normally just lurk these threads but I'd like to petition that we refer to any non-Sherpa on Everest as a Chomo.

So what's your death pool prediction?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Why was my prediction not added to the OP :mad:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Prediction: only the goon dies.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everest is ANGRY

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Outrail posted:

So what's your death pool prediction?

I'll say 7 dead chomos. That number just feels right.

The toll will probably be higher but I don't want to predict Sherpa deaths. It wouldn't be proper.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I hope the freaking mountain god kills more idiot sherpas.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

lmfao this is too great I kept waiting for the snowmobile to catch up to him and crush him.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Carmant posted:

I hope the freaking mountain god kills more idiot sherpas.

Not cool man.

That's like hoping the guy in the goofy suit eats it when space mountain crushes a bunch of Disney assholes.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Backweb posted:

With a scientific name of: Chomo Non-erectus

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Why was my prediction not added to the OP :mad:

because I'm lazy. Hold up I'll do it now.

edit is it this one-

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I would like to place a unique bet: that there is going to be another physical fight on the mountain this year. Someone is going to have their rear end(es) kicked on Mt. Everest. Bonus points if it's a tourist vs Sherpa throw down like the one that happened a few years back

Double edit-

:siren: TIM MEDVITZ IS GOING UP AGAIN :siren:

http://theheroesproject.org/the-founder/

quote:

Tim Wayne Medvetz has always sought adventure, born and raised in the Great State of New Jersey, Tim realized early on in life that he wanted to see the world {and see the world he did} a lifelong wanderer and nomad, a natural extreme athlete, Tim has traveled all over the world. He rode his chopper across the country to Los Angeles in 1998 where he parlayed his love of bikes and the open road into a successful career selling and building custom motorcycles for Hollywood’s elite at the world renowned Bartel’s Harley Davidson.

Tim became a member of the notorious Hells Angels motorcycle club and traveled all over the world with the club, some of the best times he’s ever had. Then on September 10, 2001 he was racing his motorcycle through the San Fernando Valley when he was hit by a truck in a catastrophic accident that left him physically devastated, partially paralyzed and fighting for his life. He required 8 surgeries to save his foot, which doctors feared needed to be amputated, 2 metal plates and 20 screws to repair his cracked skull. A 9 hour surgery to repair his shattered back with a titanium cage, plates and screws to put his knee back together and additional surgery to fuse his finger. He was not expected to walk again or to fully recover. But no one told Tim that.

He awoke in ICU on life support alone and in pain in the hospital on September 11, 2001 just moments before the planes hit the World Trade Center. His room was crowded with doctors and nurses, all riveted to the burning buildings on tv, his former home. The world had changed forever and so had Tim’s.

For six long months Tim struggled to regain the use of his legs, work through excruciating pain, and find some meaning in his life. He was adrift, and not accepting the loss of his old body and his old life. One day in September 2002 after a year long self destructive binge sitting in his one bedroom apartment in Hollywood, he looked up at his bookshelf and saw Jon Krakauer’s book “into thin air” wedged in the corner. The book had been a gift that was given to him four years prior where after finishing he vowed to climb Mt Everest one day. but he was in no condition to make such a journey. So thirty days later he gave up his apartment and booked a one way ticket to Nepal and slowly and insistently began to put his body and his life back together living amongst local Sherpas in the foothills of the Himalayas in preparation for his attempt of the summit of Mt Everest. It took him 4 years to train, much of it spent climbing numerous peaks in the Himalayas and boxing in a muay thai boxing camp in the south of Thailand to get back into fighting shape.

Tim has climbed Mt. Everest twice, which by happenstance was filmed by the Discovery Channel in a 14 part epic series (Everest Beyond the Limit) one of the highest rated shows on Discovery Channel.

Tim returned to LA and once again found himself at a crossroads. He knew he wanted to keep climbing, he already proved to himself nothing could stand in his way, summiting Everest on May 21, 2007 was about his own personal recovery, but he felt he needed a reason to continue, a purpose beyond his own individual satisfaction. Again inspiration came from an unlikely place, a news broadcast on veterans day about disabled and disfigured returning veterans struck a familiar and powerful cord. Tim realized he had something to offer these brave soldiers and marines, the chance to put their lives back together through the challenge of climbing.

Tim contacted all of his previous sponsors from his prior expeditions. His goal was to take a wounded veteran with him on his next climbs. He realized that if he could renew his faith in himself on the summit of a mountain, he could help others do so as well.

It didn’t take him long to raise the funds with the help of Chrome Hearts, Equinox Fitness Clubs, Cher Charitable Foundation, Eddie Bauer, and some private financial donors who always believed in Tim from the beginning. He embarked on two major expeditions in the summer of 2009 to Mt. Kilimanjaro, Africa and Mt Elbrus, Russia with two injured war veterans. Tim with his friend and Cameraman Ken Sauls captured on video all the determination and perseverance of both heroes to provide inspiration and hope for future returning injured soldiers to watch.

There was no turning back this time, in the fall of 2009 Tim founded The Heroes Project, a foundation dedicated to raising funds to help more wounded warriors climb the worlds highest peaks and find a renewed purpose and belief in themselves. The foundation is predicated on the idea that we can make a difference and change the lives of our wounded veterans, marines, soldiers and their families one soldier, one marine, one family at a time. For Tim and the men and women of The Heroes Project, the real journey is just beginning. Hence The Heroes Project was born.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 18, 2016

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
Someone should probably tell the writer of that article nyc in not in NJ.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rondette posted:

Ok yeah if he goes up again he's totally gonna die this time.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I seriously don't have time to read this whole thread, so I'll just ask really quick: Which unprepared idiotbrain should I be most excited about dying this year?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

smoobles posted:

I seriously don't have time to read this whole thread, so I'll just ask really quick: Which unprepared idiotbrain should I be most excited about dying this year?

yourself,

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

smoobles posted:

Rondette posted:

Double edit-

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I listened to a radio program yesterday that interviewed a guy who had to descend Everest while snowblind. gently caress that, lucky he didn't go flying off the Lhotse face

(BTW chipping in 40 dead, the mountain gods hunger)

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Rondette posted:

because I'm lazy. Hold up I'll do it now.

edit is it this one-

Double edit-

Yes, it was that one

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Has anyone died yet this year? I lust for the blood of adventure tourists.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I lust for sick mountain battles

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The French Army! posted:

Has anyone died yet this year? I lust for the blood of adventure tourists.

Not yet, summit attempts usually happen around April/May so a few weeks at least until the chomos get got.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I want the next world war to be fought primarily in the Himalayas. I want hypoxic soldiers with modern weaponry to double the height of Everest with a mound of garbage, corpses and human feces

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Turd Burglar posted:

Someone should probably tell the writer of that article nyc in not in NJ.

Article says his home is either a tv or burning buildings.

What's the story behind this guy, other than his inspirational backstory? I want to know how much of a trainwreck I could expect from this guy.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Article says his home is either a tv or burning buildings.

What's the story behind this guy, other than his inspirational backstory? I want to know how much of a trainwreck I could expect from this guy.

Every time he says something on the show, a brief CG X-ray montage of his bones and plates and screws is played. That's all you need to know. And he's Cher's boyfriend.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I saw a post on imgur where apparently an imgur flag is summiting Everest this season. I hope that one dies specifically, I don't really care about the total corpsehaul for the season.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I saw a post on imgur where apparently an imgur flag is summiting Everest this season. I hope that one dies specifically, I don't really care about the total corpsehaul for the season.

Inform the Nepalese government that that flag represents a vile place and that its presence would defile the mountain.