Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Gozer: The Choice is made!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Whoa! Ho! Ho! Whoa-oa!
Gozer: The Traveller has come!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Nobody choosed anything!
[turns to Egon]
Dr. Peter Venkman: Did you choose anything?
Dr. Egon Spengler: No.
Dr. Peter Venkman: [to Winston] Did YOU?
Winston Zeddemore: My mind is totally blank.
Dr. Peter Venkman: *I* didn't choose anything...
[long pause, Peter, Egon and Winston all look at Ray]
Dr Ray Stantz: I couldn't help it. It just popped in there.
Dr. Peter Venkman: [angrily] What? *What* "just popped in there?"
Dr Ray Stantz: I... I... I tried to think...
Dr. Egon Spengler: LOOK!
[they all look over one side of the roof]
Dr Ray Stantz: No! It CAN'T be!
Dr. Peter Venkman: What is it?
Dr Ray Stantz: It CAN'T be!
Dr. Peter Venkman: What did you DO, Ray?
Winston Zeddemore: Oh, poo poo!
[they all see a giant mongo face topped with a sailor hat, Peter looks at Ray]
Dr Ray Stantz: [somberly] .... It's a giant retarded man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

I'm surprised this thread still has such a high rating.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

What, retard?

Yes, that's the one.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

steinrokkan posted:

The joke is that Kate McKinnon, a lesbian, has been forced to simulate sucking a dick in name of profit, and people call it progressive.

EXT. GHOSTBUSTERS SET - NIGHT
Rehearsal. Twenty male crewmen stand in a circle around Kate McKinnon. The moonlight dances off the hairs of their burly arms.

PAUL FIEG, visibly aroused, dabs sweat off his brow as he directs.

FIEG
Take out your wand.

MCKINNON
(Trembling)
Oh... okay. What do you want me to do with it?

FIEG
(breathing heavily)
Lick it.

MCKINNON
Okay...

McKinnon reluctantly extracts her proton pistol, licks and fellates it, stifling a sniffle. She breaks into a sob and collapses.

FIEG
How does busting make you feel?

MCKINNON
(barely audible)
Busting makes me feel good.

Fieg throws a wad of cash on to her trembling form.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Does he really say "choosed?"

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Kevyn posted:

Yep.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is boring! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, there'll be a Thundercats movie, or a seventh Iron Man sequel, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan".

But when I say that they flipped the GENDER, well, then everyone loses their minds!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The film is still four months from hitting screens so yeah, once Batman v Superman and Captain America: Civil War and their merchandising blitzes are out of the way expect to see some new GB stuff hitting shelves.

Edit: poo poo, GB 2016 drops after TMNT 2, Warcraft, Finding Dory, Independence Day and The Secret Life of Pets and will be followed by Star Trek Beyond, Ice Age: Collision Course and Jason Bourne. TMNT 2 should have died down by then but that's still some pretty stiff competition.

You know, I see a lot of poo poo I should be excited for in this list but the only one I want to watch is Finding Dory, because more Dory is a good thing.

And sorry guys getting really mad about the ghostbusters trailer being really lackluster but your pet movie looks bad, and it has little to do with women, or pistol licking. It's that it's just another generic physical comedy with an existing IP slapped over it.

The first ghostbusters success had gently caress all to do with ghosts, and everything to do with great believable dialogue, actor chemistry, and pretty much superhuman comedic timing. Compare the subtle deliveries of "That's a big twinkie" or "I've seen poo poo that will turn you white!" to someone yelling the "Power of pain compels you!" while slapping someone.

EDIT: Ghostbusters 2 moving further towards physical comedy over say... good writing is a big part of why it wasn't as good. Imo. I'm still going to go watch it because I'm a consumer whore.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 11, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol at the fact we are living in a world where tmnt and warcraft are considered stiff competition to anything

actually not lol, the opposite of that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all of those movies look bad, worse than this one will probably be.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Avril Lavigne posted:

I'm surprised this thread still has such a high rating.

I imagine there would have to be a shitload of votes to cancel out the ones made over the years where this thread was filled with interesting stories and insight rather than shitposts

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

The first ghostbusters success had gently caress all to do with ghosts, and everything to do with great believable dialogue, actor chemistry, and pretty much superhuman comedic timing. Compare the subtle deliveries of "That's a big twinkie" or "I've seen poo poo that will turn you white!" to someone yelling the "Power of pain compels you!" while slapping someone.

EDIT: Ghostbusters 2 moving further towards physical comedy over say... good writing is a big part of why it wasn't as good. Imo. I'm still going to go watch it because I'm a consumer whore.

I thought we all decided comparing the new movie's form of "lol too much physical" comedy to the old one's "more subtle" comedy was dumb because the old one has plenty of slapstick and clown appropriate humor and it's pretty hard if not impossible to convey the "subtle" humor you're talking about in a two and a half minute trailer.

And it's "The power of Patty compels you!" :rant:

Lastdancer posted:

I imagine there would have to be a shitload of votes to cancel out the ones made over the years where this thread was filled with interesting stories and insight rather than shitposts

Let's not forget 8 pages of quoting the entire movie one post at a time. Quality insight.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Quoting an awesome movie is still better than whiny shitposts about having bad opinions or whatever has been going on in the past dozen pages

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

xezton posted:

Let's not forget 8 pages of quoting the entire movie one post at a time. Quality insight.

Important quoting tip. Thanks Xezton.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's very much possible to convey subtlety and nuance and the overall tone of a film in a short trailer. In fact it's as simple as presenting several complete gags without any distractions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqVgCfZX-yE

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Lastdancer posted:

Quoting an awesome movie is still better than whiny shitposts about having bad opinions or whatever has been going on in the past dozen pages

Not gonna lie.. I agree with you on that. :)

steinrokkan posted:

It's very much possible to convey subtlety and nuance and the overall tone of a film in a short trailer. In fact it's as simple as presenting several complete gags without any distractions.

It's possible yes. Ghostbusters is not Annie Hall, however.

Someone should make a fan recut of the original Ghostbusters trailer that only shows the subtle good stuff by presenting complete gags.

The "Hey anybody seen a ghost???!!!" line without the setup of "Yes they'll be totally discreet." is just no where near as funny. But backing all the jokes like that up with their setups would make for a boring trailer, I'd imagine.

xezton fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 12, 2016

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

I'd pay a lot to see a Woody Allen remake of Ghostbusters.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xezton posted:

The "Hey anybody seen a ghost???!!!" line without the setup of "Yes they'll be totally discreet." is just no where near as funny. But backing all the jokes like that up with their setups would make for a boring trailer, I'd imagine.

Well, if you find a cherry picked scene from a movie boring, I guess you are not the audience for it? How are you going to sit through dozens of similar scenes? (I'm joking, but only partially)

You can make a good trailer even using the rapid cut method of today, as long as you focus on the substance of the film instead of the dubious quality of the visuals, and end up condensing the film itself into a jokey synopsis of itself. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQshyrB_sD8
Same director, a very different approach to trailer, still tells you everything about the movie and whether you'll like it.

Avril Lavigne posted:

I'd pay a lot to see a Woody Allen remake of Ghostbusters.

Agreed. It would work with the Sleeper era Woody, but sadly probably not with his current self.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

steinrokkan posted:

what if they remade the ghostbusters, but all the characters were Jews?

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Well, if you find a cherry picked scene from a movie boring, I guess you are not the audience for it? How are you going to sit through dozens of similar scenes? (I'm joking, but only partially)

You can make a good trailer even using the rapid cut method of today, as long as you focus on the substance of the film instead of the dubious quality of the visuals, and end up condensing the film itself into a jokey synopsis of itself. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQshyrB_sD8
Same director, a very different approach to trailer, still tells you everything about the movie and whether you'll like it.

Unfortunately your comparisons aren't helping me because I'm genuinely not interested in Woody Allen movies and close those trailers less than half way through *prepares to be stoned and lynched*

But I get what you're saying. I just don't honestly think a trailer showcasing "subtle humor" like in your examples would really be the right venue for Ghostbusters, old or new. Would be interesting to see just for a somewhat more objective comparison, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfkiFVhiIYw

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xezton posted:

Unfortunately your comparisons aren't helping me because I'm genuinely not interested in Woody Allen movies *prepares to be stoned and lynched*

But I get what you're saying. I just don't honestly think a trailer showcasing "subtle humor" like in your examples would really be the right venue for Ghostbusters, old or new. Would be interesting to see just for a somewhat more objective comparison, though.

The point is, it is representative enough to tell you "I'm not interested". That's equally as valid as being excited for the movie, and it's informed because you've seen quite a lot of the sort of stuff the movie uses.

Fast forward to 2016 where people are saying you can't use trailers to judge a movie because two minutes just isn't enough to convey the deep themes of Emma The Ducky Lost her Ball, and they are partially right because trailers have been reduced to visual noise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I kind of like 21 Jump Street but I actually took a while to see it because I loathed that trailer.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

xezton posted:

I thought we all decided comparing the new movie's form of "lol too much physical" comedy to the old one's "more subtle" comedy was dumb because the old one has plenty of slapstick and clown appropriate humor and it's pretty hard if not impossible to convey the "subtle" humor you're talking about in a two and a half minute trailer.

Cinema Discusso > Ghostbusters: Clown Appropriate

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cinema Discusso > Ghostbusters: Clown Appropriate

This is the most I've laughed at SA since about 2006 :)

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

The point is, it is representative enough to tell you "I'm not interested". That's equally as valid as being excited for the movie, and it's informed because you've seen quite a lot of the sort of stuff the movie uses.

Fast forward to 2016 where people are saying you can't use trailers to judge a movie because two minutes just isn't enough to convey the deep themes of Emma The Ducky Lost her Ball, and they are partially right because trailers have been reduced to visual noise.

Yeah but making an artful and nuanced trailer for Ghostbusters akin to the trailers you linked would be like trying to advertise some lovely boxed wine to a connoisseur as some priceless vintage.

I think the trailer for the new Ghostbusters is representative enough to tell you "I'm not interested", too. Obviously. I just thought comparing the subtle deliveries of lines from the old movie (which might be kinda funny on their own but are much better when backed up by their setups) to the new trailer is silly because new trailers don't do subtle. The new movie could be full of subtle humor but we won't know until someone sees it and says so.

It might make more sense to compare the old trailers to the new trailers. But then you're going to run into the problem of "well marketing has changed in 30 years" so yeah like I said, I thought we all agreed this discussion of a subtle new Ghostbusters trailer wasn't worth having a few pages back?

Avril Lavigne posted:

This is the most I've laughed at SA since about 2006 :)
Well hold on to your rear end, because I've probably posted more in the last week or so in this thread alone than I've ever posted in SA as a whole. So expect even more incredibly stupid and banal poo poo to inevitably end up in my posts before July.

xezton fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 12, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kevyn posted:

If it helps (it doesn't), it's captioned as "Nobody 'choosed' anything!"

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Meanwhile we've all ignored a very important development in the world of Ghostbusters:

They missed a HUGE opportunity to make 2x size Twinkies.... :arghfist::ghost:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hmm. Might. Might

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Flavour shoulda been Times Square Lime :ghost:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Avril Lavigne posted:

Lime square?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EDIT: ^^^^ Mother puss bucket :argh:

Avril Lavigne posted:

Lime Square.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Went jogging today (Ghostbusters 2 ref? No I actually was lol) and I had the theme going in my earbuds and noticed this particular line :

http://youtu.be/m9We2XsVZfc

i ain't fraid of no ghost..
...I hear it likes the girls...

And I actually got the chills at how prophetic this line turned out to be. In the 80s it was just a funny throwaway line but now it has a way deeper meaning to it thanks to this movie. Pretty cool. They should use it more in the marketing for this movie.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

xezton posted:

Meanwhile we've all ignored a very important development in the world of Ghostbusters:

WANT.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I like Twinkies and Ghostbusters, but those sound disgusting.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Went jogging today (Ghostbusters 2 ref? No I actually was lol) and I had the theme going in my earbuds and noticed this particular line :

http://youtu.be/m9We2XsVZfc

i ain't fraid of no ghost..
...I hear it likes the girls...

And I actually got the chills at how prophetic this line turned out to be. In the 80s it was just a funny throwaway line but now it has a way deeper meaning to it thanks to this movie. Pretty cool. They should use it more in the marketing for this movie.

Here's hoping they'll include a "freaky ghost bed" in the new one.

Edit: VVVV - There's a rule about referring to the "bustin'" video on youtube? I don't see any relevant probations on your rap sheet is the only reason I'm askin.
To be clear, I wasn't making some sort of creepy sexual comment. Original tune said something about girls, they appeared in the new film. "bustin'" said something about a freaky ghost bed, would be funny to see a ghost bed in the new film floating around all spooky like.

xezton fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 12, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

xezton posted:

Here's hoping they'll include a "freaky ghost bed" in the new one.

Careful, buddy; I got probated in this very thread for a somewhat-related comment, made in jest (isn't everything posted here made in jest?).

This is not a good path to be on.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm thinking of that McKinnon licking the gun thing and that really is so bizarre. Like what other connotation could that have? Are there any cases of guys licking guns in a way that isn't inherently sexual? How would that make sense for a character in her position to want to lick the gun other than in a phallic context? That really is just so weird.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

xezton posted:

Wheres my goddamn Ecto-Coolers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

I agree with everything you wrote here but this is why people think the movie could be misrepresented by the trailer. I by no means think it's impossible to represent the themes of a movie in 2 minutes, but nowadays "trailers have been reduced to visual noise" largely because they are cut together by some marketing people from the studio who want to appeal to the broadest possible audience.

I think it's possible that this is a bad trailer that doesn't represent the movie, and I hope that is true because I'd rather we have a good movie than a bad movie and I don't get a lot of enjoyment out of pure schadenfreude. I totally understand why you are not hopeful and the trailer has you disinterested. I don't think I deserve to be taunted like some imbecile for my belief tho.

• Locked thread