Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
I'm liking the already-apparent swathes of options/approaches/whatever and the systems seem neat but boy does this perform like poopy on PC for me, even on lower settings I'm struggling to hit consistent 30. On anything above low, I regularly crash after playing a bit, which happened during beta when I cranked the LOD/shadows too high and now happens when I'm at anything above lowest. Presumably it's my dinky FX 8350 bottlenecking my 970, but even when that happens in intensive modern games, it's nowhere near this bad.

Hopefully they throw out some patches quick, I'm sure it's just a bit of porting shenanigans, since the console versions now perform way better than beta and, conversely, the beta levels were better for me on PC than their final version counterparts.

Regardless, I am determined to put out a comically violent contract for this shithead security guard that just said "Smile for that extra tip!" while I was dressed as a waiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

Steam seems to be filled with rage on . . . locked graphic options. Anyone else having issues?

No. I have come to the conclusion that MOST complaints about games like this are because people are complete and utter morons and/or have trash PCs.

I don't have Batman Arkham Knight and it seems like that game had legit, widespread issues. But I have plenty of other games people have whined about and have never had problems. And I'm not exactly a computer genius.

I'm running a Zotac GTX 970 now and I tinkered with the graphic options on this game to make it run between 50-60 fps for me.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm rather enjoying Bald Man simulator, I've not played Hitman since Blood Money so it's like coming home to me, I don't care that its episodic either, what's already here is fun and the Paris fashion show stage is massive, plenty of ways to do things, or just go hog wild and shoot the place up.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
It may come as a shock to stupid people, but you do need to be online to use online features of the game.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Moartoast posted:

I'm liking the already-apparent swathes of options/approaches/whatever and the systems seem neat but boy does this perform like poopy on PC for me, even on lower settings I'm struggling to hit consistent 30. On anything above low, I regularly crash after playing a bit, which happened during beta when I cranked the LOD/shadows too high and now happens when I'm at anything above lowest. Presumably it's my dinky FX 8350 bottlenecking my 970, but even when that happens in intensive modern games, it's nowhere near this bad.

Hopefully they throw out some patches quick, I'm sure it's just a bit of porting shenanigans, since the console versions now perform way better than beta and, conversely, the beta levels were better for me on PC than their final version counterparts.

Regardless, I am determined to put out a comically violent contract for this shithead security guard that just said "Smile for that extra tip!" while I was dressed as a waiter.

I have an i5 4590 paired with my GTX 970 and not a FX 8350, but I'm gaming in 1440p. Try these settings and see how it works for you:

Ultra Detail
AA Off
Texture QUlaity High
Texture Filter Anisotropic x2
SSAO On
Shadow Maps Ultra
Shadow resolution medium

I averaged 54 FPS in the benchmark test at 1440p

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just finished up, overall impressed.

I still couldn't trigger that catwalk thing or get a failstate on it so not sure what happened there, but gently caress it I stole fireworks controls, set them off early, shoved a lady over rails and got a mission complete because it turned out the guy either drank the booze or ate the sushi I poisoned so I bolted to a helicopter and left. Hitman/Hitman.

The mastery stuff is neat, I think that's probably the best way to handle stuff like that, there's a healthy enough blend of 'be a super silent assassin never getting caught and only killing your marks' vs 'HEY DUDE MAKE A CAMERA BLOW UP IN THIS GUY'S FACE gently caress IT HITMAN' stuff so that not only does everyone get stuff it also encourages the full spectrum of murdermans. I don't fully know how useful the stuff is, I just unlocked a couple 'start undercover' things and I think one other thing, but they seem to add interesting variants enough.

The game is short (about as long as a typical Hitman mission though) but they made sure there's tons of just stuff to do. I drowned a bodyguard in a toilet because he spooked me when I was looking in random rooms. I saw poo poo to do like collapsing speakers on people and tons of cranks to break to send chandeliers falling on people. There's multiple ways to tackle even the same path depending on what gear you have, and they did a decent enough job making the world feel alive that the game just generally feels good to walk around dicking around in. I have no clue about some of these routes at all, even. Apparently I can impersonate a Sheik at that auction but I have no clue where that dude even is let alone how that helps me murder people.

The episodic format is interesting, I hope it means they're spending time making sure every level is as well crafted as they should be, but so far Paris is at least worth a buy in my opinion.

Next goal, I saw so many kitchen knives to take, I'm gonna throw them all at people's faces.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Different starting locations is very interesting

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Doesn't this game have experimental DX 12 support? That could possibly result in the framerates being somewhat low, since I think they'll be adding features and optimizing for it as new episodes come out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

voltcatfish posted:

Different starting locations is very interesting

Yea I'm curious how they change options, they seem like the biggest unlocks to earn so far. You get a fitting disguise too, so I could see how that could be powerful in the right circumstances.

Oh also a thing I like, I like that there's just random enemies that are 'more aware' that you need to watch for. Not every cop sees you going by and instantly goes "WHAT A NEW FACE gently caress THAT KILL HIM BOYS" but yea it works well that Jimmy the Cop is more on his game so he'll look you over, or the guy who owns the boat obviously knows who's on his crew. It's a good way to make disguises not insta wins but still make them worth the effort.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm still on the tutorial (I'm really good at blending in for 2.8 minutes before choking out some randomer on impulse), but looking at the game's overall structure, I get the impression that there'll be 6 'main' assassinations in total when the full thing is out... Is that right?

I mean I know the maps are huge with a load of poo poo to gently caress around with, but that still seems pretty drat low.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Steve2911 posted:

I'm still on the tutorial (I'm really good at blending in for 2.8 minutes before choking out some randomer on impulse), but looking at the game's overall structure, I get the impression that there'll be 6 'main' assassinations in total when the full thing is out... Is that right?

I mean I know the maps are huge with a load of poo poo to gently caress around with, but that still seems pretty drat low.

It's 6 levels (I think). If it's like most Hitman games they'll be at least a couple a little different than just 'find and murder x', but yea the main selling point is A) episodic and I'm pretty sure you can pick and choose which ones you buy and B) the maps are big with lots of options to do your job and poo poo like the mastery unlocks add replay value.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm still on the tutorial mission on the yacht and having fun but I think ran into a bug. There's this dipshit with a cellphone in the men's bathroom that never leaves, even when I have the target's guest poisoned and throwing up in there. It feels buggy because cellphone guy just keeps standing behind the dude vomiting. I want the guest's disguise so I can complete the challenge. Anyone else having this problem?

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 11, 2016

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I don't get why they locked the Super Sampling and Texture Quality options for Graphics Cards that aren't exatcly new in the first place.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Just spent the whole Paris mission dressed as the male model, knocking down guards with a fire extinguisher, then I walked the fashion show with my weapon of choice. I love this game already.

The load times are awful though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Norfolk is very easily distracted by pennies and no fucker knows what he looks like, including the guards talking to him before he ran off to find pennies.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

gfanikf posted:

Steam seems to be filled with rage always

ftfy

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Is anyone else getting a graphical bug in Showstopper where some of the specular lighting on floors and walls is purple for some reason? Also some framerate hitching. Should I switch from DX12 to 11?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really want to play this but it seems dumb to purchase it, since it seems like every time an episodic game comes out the first chapter ends up being free in a few months.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
The dumb part is you thinking that will happen with this game.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Yeah no their whole business model would make that a completely nonsensical move. At most, they'll eventually release the first two training missions (i.e, stuff from the beta) as a demo, which I'd actually be pretty okay with. I mean, poo poo, that might mean that this'll ultimately be a standardly priced full AAA release with no season pass or microtransactions and a free demo and online functionality that actually adds meaningful things to the game.

Square might be a shady-rear end company trying to ease the industry into some gross poo poo, but this particular game seems to be using it (somewhat) decently, so that's something.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah as much as I don't trust Square or basically any big publisher messing around with business models, I haven't seen any major negatives with this one. The fact that they didn't just make you buy the whole thing and wait for updates is pretty surprising, to be honest. They'd almost definitely have gotten away with it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Moartoast posted:

At most, they'll eventually release the first two training missions (i.e, stuff from the beta) as a demo, which I'd actually be pretty okay with.

The game already supports that, the Paris level is for some reason counted as DLC and it wasn't included in the initial pre-load. So people who pre-loaded the game and played it before the Paris 'DLC' downloaded were able to play the tutorial levels before they were told to buy Paris.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Veotax posted:

Is anyone else getting a graphical bug in Showstopper where some of the specular lighting on floors and walls is purple for some reason? Also some framerate hitching. Should I switch from DX12 to 11?

My game is entirely bathed in alternately neon green and red like it can't decide if it's Hotline Miami or Terminator, but I have no clue how to fix it

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I've been having a ton of fun playing this game and trying to vary how I kill people without the "OPPORTUNITIES" thing holding my hand, sadly the servers are down so I can't access the challenges. How does a server for this kind of game go down anyway?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

Jesus, the minimum requirements on this are vicious.

It's playable, if a little hiccupy on my system, but I haven't had anything be even remotely this hiccupy on this system before.

NPC crowds :argh:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Veotax posted:

the Paris level is for some reason counted as DLC
I assume that's so people can buy later episodes without owning Paris.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
For everyone experiencing any kind of graphical or processing problem, check for a driver update.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Cool the servers are down.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Jesus, the minimum requirements on this are vicious.

Yeah, I get about 50fps on the Benchmark but I get a crash every 5 minutes in game. RIP.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Cool the servers are down.

Yeah, this is pretty annoying. I know I could just play offline, but I really wanted to get into the extra online stuff. Hopefully they fix the problem or pay the ransom to whoever's DDoSing them or whatever they need to do to get the servers back up quickly.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Oddly I haven't had any crashes at all. Although I did have to restart the paris mission a couple of times because I felt like I had hosed myself.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I had a pretty fun time with it. Silent Assassin on the Paris mission was pretty easy. Too bad the online issue is really annoying and made me restart.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

TomViolence posted:

A good way to use the sniper rifle in House of Cards is to garotte both the Afrikaner and the scientist in their respective elevators, then pull the fire alarm on the top floor, run into the scientist's suite, call the shiekh and pop him with the rifle when he goes into the alley to get phone reception. Bish bash bosh, silent assassin, suit only. Timing can be a bastard, though, as the fire alarm only clears out the guards just long enough to get set up, get the shiekh out into the alley and take the shot. Other than that, I don't think I've ever used the sniper rifle in BM. There's just not enough good vantage points or opportunities.

don't forget putting your rifle in your hotel room stash afterward so you can run off with the diamonds.

As for other oppportunities, there's also sniping the head crow in a murder of crows from that back street area (next to the hanging piano), but then you have to deal with those idiot bodyguards of his coming into the room

StashAugustine posted:

You can also use the sniper to pop the druglord who's playing the violin in A Vintage Year from across the jungle. I did eventually get the other target with the rifle but it was tricky- I goofed and shot a civilian that looked like him by accident and someone panicked and opened the door which gave me a clean shot.

did you have to be right out in the jungle for it, I tried from the end of that guard's patrol route (on the stash side of the compound, right near that chair with spare ammo on it) and he refused to walk far enough out onto the balcony :(

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I'm confused as to why I can't select my monitor's native resolution

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just stumbling around on my first run through I found the sheik you need to impersonate at the auction, which I guess I figured out because his clothes are like the ultimate disguise for the level and I was able to just waltz upstairs with no problem at all. Once I sat down at the auction the target came out and invited me to a private meeting, and you know the rest.

I figure that's one of the more "intended" ways to get her, it seemed pretty easy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
That sounds pretty handy with the Sheikh there, I grabbed the Helmut disguise and while it's a free pass to the whole map I can't get an "in" with Dahlia, she just kinda wanders around to some set locations and doesn't offer me any openings to take her out.

I'll figure it out, I'm liking how the level is so wide-open and you can save anywhere so you can dick around looking at all the stuff in the level and then quit the game to go think about an approach. It's like a game of chess, and it feels like the old Hitman I used to love before that Absolution shitfest. I really hope they never, ever go back to that style of Hitman game again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is pretty cool but man two levels is not much for fifteen bucks. Hopefully the updates are a bit more "economical"

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
so i'll turn off AA and AO but have AF at 16x, everythings high except for textures cause :dice:
hmmmmmmmmm

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Had some initial complaints about DX12 not working properly, and then with someone seeing me kill someone straight through a wall, and then the servers went down.... but yeah, now that I've played through it twice I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I was surprised that I struggled a bit my first go through making a good hit so I got kinda sloppy when improvising, though I still killed only the targets.

The second time was much easier.

And now that I unlocked a sniper rifle I'm going to approach it in a different way :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Most of my targets could have prevented their deaths if they just learned to lock the bathroom door.