Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Are there any actual good dedicated mp3 players these days that aren't only like 8 gigs? I can't loving seem to find one, and this is frankly the place to ask.

E: ughggh, new page. I have no content. I guess swiping credit cards are gonna be obsolete soon, since there's a new card reader. How bout that.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

WebDog posted:

Another alternative to hard drives Creative used were CDs assisted by large buffers to prevent skipping. Of course it meant carrying around a CD wallet as you didn't get that many MP3s onto 650mb. (man writing that makes me feel old).
CD-RW's were sort of your "flash memory" for 2003.

It also had no real sophisticated way of browsing, everything was alphabetically sorted and at best you had a "Skip 10" items button.You had an LCD screen showing you just how garbled your MP3 tags were.
There were no playlists but I vaguely recall it was possible to navigate directories, but it was so clunky I gave up and just dumped everything on there.

Early on, MP3 CD players were the cheapest way to get a decent number of tracks on an MP3 player. You could spend $200-$300 for a player with 512 MB of flash, 400$ for a hard drive player, or you could spend $100 and get an MP3 CD player which could store 600-700 MB with a single CD. My iRiver iMP-100 served me well during long commutes and through a temp job doing data entry.

Although you were right about the crappy navigation. Using a tiny LCD screen that showed two or three filenames at once wasn't a pleasant way to find a song.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

Are there any actual good dedicated mp3 players these days that aren't only like 8 gigs? I can't loving seem to find one, and this is frankly the pkace to ask.

All of the ones I've been looking at are sold to the Auidophile market, so they're really expensive with dubious build quality. I had a Cowon X9, wnad while it was excellent at what it did, could play any file format thrown at it and had a really good battery life, it also had a resistive touch screen, and the menu was generally garbage.

This time I'm looking at a FiiO M3. It's only got 8gb internal storage, but supports MicroSD up to 64 gb. It's also reasonably priced and the interface doesn't look like garbage.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780622/fii...rs-hifi-earbuds

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jazzmutant Lemur. It's a music control surface that was all the rage. Until the iPad launched and eventually refined itself to the point of completely consuming Jazzmutant. I think there's a Lemur app now.

These things were HUGE for a time. Daft Punk, Justice, Glitch Mob, Deamau5, Hot Chip, NIN - these things were the poo poo for years and now they've been replaced by one function of iPads. One of the many things replaced by phones and tablets.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

DicktheCat posted:

Are there any actual good dedicated mp3 players these days that aren't only like 8 gigs? I can't loving seem to find one, and this is frankly the place to ask.

E: ughggh, new page. I have no content. I guess swiping credit cards are gonna be obsolete soon, since there's a new card reader. How bout that.

Just get whatever version of the Sands Clip is for sale on Amazon. Yes, they're like 8gb base but most of them can take an SD card, so you can add another 32 or 64 or whatever.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Jmcrofts posted:

I love old mp3 players. Anyone else own one of these?

Inside was a 5gb micro hard drive, which was a massive failure point. I went through like 3 of them that luckily Creative covered under warranty.

I still have mine. As far as I know it still works just needs to be charged. I got a Zen Vision:M afterwards. The Vision would constantly freeze and the only way to reset it was a small hole you had to stick a paperclip or a needle in.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gobbeldygook posted:

Just get whatever version of the Sands Clip is for sale on Amazon. Yes, they're like 8gb base but most of them can take an SD card, so you can add another 32 or 64 or whatever.

The prices are getting ridiculous.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

DicktheCat posted:

I think in some parts of the world they still use these and in others they don't even use the magnetic stripe readers, they use the chip instead, so I'm not sure which you're saying is going to be obsolete soon :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I do a double take every time credit cards come up online, I'm not sure if the US is behind or Australia is ahead for once (ahaha as if). We rarely if ever use the strips, and NFC has been widely accepted for years now. Of course NFC makes skimming easier than ever but it's new and convenient right? :pseudo:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It's getting to the point where clerks will look confused when you swipe a card.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

AlphaKretin posted:

I do a double take every time credit cards come up online, I'm not sure if the US is behind or Australia is ahead for once (ahaha as if). We rarely if ever use the strips, and NFC has been widely accepted for years now. Of course NFC makes skimming easier than ever but it's new and convenient right? :pseudo:

As someone stuck in retail in the US, I think it's mainly just a rather slow transition over to chips and NFC. The large chain that I work for only replaced their credit card pin pads with ones capable of reading the chips just weeks before the October deadline... but we still don't have the software to actually read the chips (Rumor is we'll get that in a month or so), so everything is still based on swiping the magnetic strips. We can't do NFC cards at all as far as I know, definitely can't do Apple Pay, and technically can do Samsung Pay but I've yet to see it work in fewer than three attempts and is an annoying pain to attempt to do a return for. The chip readers are becoming common elsewhere (I know places like Target and Walmart have gone over to them), since every new card comes with them, but a lot of places (Particularly small/local places) haven't updated yet and you still have a huge number of people who don't have chip cards yet. NFC really isn't a thing with cards here at all, I can't recall that I've ever even seen it attempted in four-odd years in some extremely busy places in South Florida (Which leads the country in fraud, gently caress yeah!).

Of course, our entire store runs on an IBM system from 1991 that itself is full of weird quirks and probably outdated, while I get to use this annoying piece of poo poo which definitely fits this thread.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Thanks for the advice regarding mp3.

Also, yeah, I was saying the magnetic strips are becoming obsolete. The US has been super slow to change over, though. The place I work has the hardware for the chip readers, but can't use it yet. Have no idea what the issue is, but I'm sure the lovely computers can't help.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Man those chip and pin scanners where you insert your card are slow as poo poo. I'd rather swipe it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DicktheCat posted:

It pisses me off how a 64 GB ipod touch costs $50 more than the 80 GB ipod classic I bought in 2007.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I can't remember the last time I input a pin or signed a docket. It always amazes me that Australia is ahead in any technology.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

I love old mp3 players. Anyone else own one of these?

Inside was a 5gb micro hard drive, which was a massive failure point. I went through like 3 of them that luckily Creative covered under warranty.
I was cleaning out my old desk last weekend and ended up throwing away the hard case/belt clip for that exact device. The player itself is somewhere around here. I found it while looking my HP48* which needed a lot of cleaning.

*32k, not the 128k of the gx. My gx died.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

It pisses me off how a 64 GB ipod touch costs $50 more than the 80 GB ipod classic I bought in 2007.

Why? They're not even remotely comparable devices besides they both can play music. One's a media player, the other is basically a pocket computer with a touchscreen.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

ElwoodCuse posted:

inflation :smith:

edit: and stagnation :smith:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Buttcoin purse posted:

I think in some parts of the world they still use these and in others they don't even use the magnetic stripe readers, they use the chip instead, so I'm not sure which you're saying is going to be obsolete soon :v:

Just so you know, if you see one of these is a civilized country they are paying at least $1.00 or possibly up to 5% per transaction because it's almost as bad as reading your number over the phone six times when ordering Chinese delivery.

Edit: with an embossing machine you might as well give them your card and leave it there. Don't use them.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Mar 12, 2016

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

DicktheCat posted:

Buy or find any old android phone with an sd card slot. poo poo I have a few of you need one.

However, if your music needs and wifi access overlap, just subscribe to Apple Music, google music or whatever and pin a playlist for offline access.

As far as swiping credit cards, technically that should have ended last October in the US. Most people have chip cards now (and if not, get a new card with a chip, they have to issue them). If a business DOES NOT accept chip cards, and you get hacked or it's not a legit transaction, it's 100% on the merchant now.

Edit: if you pay with a debit card for everything, get a credit card, set it to auto pay the full balance monthly and use that instead. You actually do want the extra layer in there.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 09:15 on Mar 12, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you want, I've got an LG VM670 running Android 2.2.2 that you can stick an SD card into for all the space you want. It's got the extended battery, so it's a brick but it will last at least a dozen hours if not more, especially if you put it in airplane mode (and no reason not to). It's already been factory reset and just sitting around, so if someone wants to pay for shipping and maybe an optional little bit extra I'd be happy to send it to a good home

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Buttcoin purse posted:

I owned two MP3 players. I got some lovely store brand 512MB USB flash one for $5 well after everyone already had iPods, and later some Philips brand one for free with some other purchase because the store obviously couldn't sell them. I could never rationalize buying something with a hard drive in it that I was pretty sure was going to get wrecked pretty quick if I used it when I was walking or running like it was (I think) intended.

The $5 one still works because it just takes a AAA battery, the Philips one's battery died really really quickly but still functions as an oddly-shaped 2GB flash device that needs a mini USB cable.

I have an old RCA one I still use every now and then that runs for hours on a single AAA, too. For a while I was REALLY hesitant on any tech that didn't have a replaceable battery and I still sort of am.

We've probably talked about them already, but about 12 or so years ago I remember when HP or Compaq had those little PDA things that were very popular for a few years. iPaqs or something like that. A coworker of mine was really excited the year she found one for cheap for her son who was in college or high school. I'm not sure how long those things remained a must-have thing, though.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

The UK is all chip and pin, with contactless getting pretty prevalent, but if you catch a Calmac ferry to the Outer Hebrides they still have these, due to not having a reliable internet connection, and it usually takes an extra month before they show up on your bill.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mister Kingdom posted:

The prices are getting ridiculous.
You're probably thinking of the retired Clip or Clip+. There are current Clip variants for $30-$40. The only thing they lack is Rockbox support. Clip Jam and Clip Sport. They support SDHC, which means up to 32GB cards.

Though I read somewhere that the Jam maybe has problems indexing over 1000 files, which sucks balls.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

We've probably talked about them already, but about 12 or so years ago I remember when HP or Compaq had those little PDA things that were very popular for a few years. iPaqs or something like that. A coworker of mine was really excited the year she found one for cheap for her son who was in college or high school. I'm not sure how long those things remained a must-have thing, though.

Yeah I have an iPAQ sitting here on my desk gathering dust. It was out so I'd remember to recharge it every week to stop the battery from dying, because when I got it it was already about 7 years old and somehow still had a good battery. Oh well :rip:

It was $5, cheaper than upgrading to a smartphone, but one time I went to ask a guy at a store about some wireless router and got it out because I had some notes on there and he was like "wow I haven't seen one of those for a long time :smuggo:"

It ran Microsoft Pocket PC which was a variant of Windows CE I think. It came with "Pocket Word" and "Pocket Excel" which didn't save in the native formats, a calendar, solitaire I guess, I don't know what else.

I downloaded some extra apps for it. One I think was still from Microsoft, it let you basically remote desktop into it from your PC, so at least if you wanted to edit some notes on there from your PC you could use the keyboard instead of the stylus. I also got a media player app which worked pretty well except you had to get out the stylus to change tracks, etc. (or tap on the screen with your finger nail I guess) Also got some app that let you use its IR transmitter as a remote control, you could fully customize everything on the screen like those fancy Harmony remotes but having actual buttons you don't need to look at is better than having just an LCD screen so I never used it much.

Also downloaded some boring stuff like a decent image viewer, a decent task manager that let you kill processes, Adobe Reader, stop watch, and a notepad app that saved in plain text because that Pocket Word format was annoying.

I certainly got my money's worth of use out of it for taking notes on though. I think I liked its handwriting recognition more than I like using swype on my phone but maybe I've just forgotten those sorts of frustrations.

Oh here's one frustration I almost forgot to mention: I think the OS might be in flash, but all your apps and data are in RAM, so if your battery goes flat you lose everything. In a way it's a good thing, it teaches you to back up :v: It was easy to back up (and restore, I "tested" that a few times too).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Flipperwaldt posted:

You're probably thinking of the retired Clip or Clip+. There are current Clip variants for $30-$40. The only thing they lack is Rockbox support. Clip Jam and Clip Sport. They support SDHC, which means up to 32GB cards.

Though I read somewhere that the Jam maybe has problems indexing over 1000 files, which sucks balls.

The Clip+ seems to be the most recommended (I have two), while the newer one are getting mixed reviews.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DicktheCat posted:

There's this loving thing which costs like a thousand bucks (not even kidding)
http://www.astellnkern.com

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

eightpole posted:

And it's made by iRiver, with probably the exact same standard components inside.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Fo3 posted:

Just saying, am I the only one that completely skipped mp3 players?
I went from portable cassette players to cars, moving out, home stereo, work/career, social night life and all sorts of life stuff, that by the time I though about getting one, hey, my phone can do that anyway.
Just at the wrong/right time I guess.

I had this http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=760 (still do actually) plugged into my Handspring Prism. 32 MB of storage! It worked surprisingly well actually.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I miss my Archos Gmini XS200, that thing was great. I dropped it and broke the screen, it still worked but I couldn't see to change albums so it just played the same one over and over.

I was going to replace the screen but they're proprietary and can't be had for love nor money, every single mention I found of it was other people asking where to get a screen for it and coming up empty.

Those little 1.8" ide drives were surprisingly robust.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Why? They're not even remotely comparable devices besides they both can play music. One's a media player, the other is basically a pocket computer with a touchscreen.

I think the point was space, not functionality. I didn't have a phone with more space than my 20gb iPod until like 2009.

That's mostly an Apple thing. They are stingier with disk space than most manufacturers (hence phones sold in 2015 with 8gb of storage).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

eightpole posted:

Sony still make some decent dedicated (i.e. not a lovely Android video device with no physical buttons and poo poo battery life) players believe it or not. I think they only put sd slots on the more expensive ones though, including their own £500 insane player thats supposed to be for 24 bit audio where each album is like 1.5gb.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Do replacement batteries for the Clip+ exist? Mine only holds an hour of charge.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Lurking Haro posted:

Do replacement batteries for the Clip+ exist? Mine only holds an hour of charge.

Here's the instructions for the Clip. I can't imagine the Clip+ would be much different.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

DicktheCat posted:

Sony still makes a few models of Walkman that go up to 64GB if I recall correctly. I had a 16GB E344 for a long long time until the volume rocker literally rotted off the side of the device. Outside of Sony and some Chinese generic models I think the market is either old devices, or those audiophile bricks that I personally would never touch.

While we're on topic, this is my entry for "old obsolete Mp3 player"

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Sony still makes a few models of Walkman that go up to 64GB if I recall correctly. I had a 16GB E344 for a long long time until the volume rocker literally rotted off the side of the device. Outside of Sony and some Chinese generic models I think the market is either old devices, or those audiophile bricks that I personally would never touch.

While we're on topic, this is my entry for "old obsolete Mp3 player"

I loved the early versions of these, where it was basically a thumb drive that slotted into a power pack. I still have it somewhere, although it stopped working a long time ago.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Regarding standalone MP3 players: the Cowon M2 is an interesting alternative to the Sansa models.

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/m2/

It has 90 hour battery life. 16GB internal memory, plus up to 32GB extra via MicroSD. It plays MP3, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, etc. The interface is better than that of the Sansa Sport, although it still has its quirks. (My big thing is that it's easier to skip around album-length tracks.) It also has some JetEffect nonsense, which really does make a difference as far as sound goes. It also has some bells and whistles, like containing its own voice recorder and speaker, yadda yadda.

The big downside, however, is that it does not play AAC/M4A.

The other downside is that much of the interface uses a reactive touchscreen, although it also has physical buttons for the really important stuff.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Fooley posted:

I loved the early versions of these, where it was basically a thumb drive that slotted into a power pack. I still have it somewhere, although it stopped working a long time ago.

Yeah, the Creative Muvo was awesome, also my first mp3 player.

It was a surprisingly sensible and good design, the rocker on the side made it really easy to change songs without looking at it,
the screen was alright, and you just pulled it out of it's battery pack and plugged it into an usb slot to transfer stuff to it.
( The battery pack was just a plastic shell with a... AA? AAA? battery inside. )

Only complaint I had about it was that the belt-clipon that came with mine was really bad, and could barely hold the thing.
I'm also pretty sure it didn't need any kind of software or anything to work with it, it just acted like a flash drive.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Regarding standalone MP3 players: the Cowon M2 is an interesting alternative to the Sansa models.

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/m2/

It has 90 hour battery life. 16GB internal memory, plus up to 32GB extra via MicroSD. It plays MP3, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, etc. The interface is better than that of the Sansa Sport, although it still has its quirks. (My big thing is that it's easier to skip around album-length tracks.) It also has some JetEffect nonsense, which really does make a difference as far as sound goes. It also has some bells and whistles, like containing its own voice recorder and speaker, yadda yadda.

The big downside, however, is that it does not play AAC/M4A.

The other downside is that much of the interface uses a reactive touchscreen, although it also has physical buttons for the really important stuff.
I would consider costing one hundred fifty-three dollars a noteworthy downside. You would probably be better off buying a portable USB charger and a Sansa.

also, I don't know about the new Sansa's but some or all of the old Sansa's had a very tiny built-in microphone on the back of the device. I only discovered this when I was trying to find an mp3 player my mom could use at work because her work doesn't allow any electronic device with recording or transmission capability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

You're right about the price. Hrmm.

I had a Sansa Clip, and it was perfect in every way. However, I had to replace it with a Sansa Sport, and I didn't like it nearly as much. YMMV.