Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Rimworld Fortress

I look forward to my first tantrum spiral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Endless gay marriages and breakups and brawls

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
cant say im thrilled about the list of additional content. lovers' spats and asthma.. i'd rather have gladiator pits and space plague.

i dunno, i still love the game (haven't played in a few months) but a lot of the interpersonal stuff, decorations, etc. dont do much for me. it's like- could u make it so that my miners haul a load back to base when they're heading home for the night? that would be a small change that i would greatly appreciate. i dont give a poo poo about multi-person beds, but a multi-headed alien? gimme some hydras! i dunno, i'm probably just seeing the glass as half-empty, but i feel like there's such potential for interesting mayhem, bloodshed, and catastrophic failure in this game but they keep adding things that remind me of the Sims. many of the newer features seem like annoying nuisances at best. social bonds with animals? marriage ceremonies? gently caress me.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
You need to play dwarf fortress. Social drama and multi person beds is going to mean so much more horror and death than a few different sprites for monsters.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Looking forward to new art descriptions for this too.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I like the sound of those upcoming features. I also like the idea of a beer binge ending in drunken rants and fistfights.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Splode posted:

You need to play dwarf fortress. Social drama and multi person beds is going to mean so much more horror and death than a few different sprites for monsters.

i cant do dwarf fortress. i cant get past the archaic graphics and ui. even if i did, i think it might be too spergy for me still. i hope youre right though. i just caught myself getting annoyed that they havent actually released a patch. i want the goddamn bugs! a lot of the things sound cool, in that they'll bring more variety, but i personally wish they had a slightly different focus. then again, im still pining after the lost dichotomy between the fear and happiness systems, so take my disappointment with a grain of salt. gonna go play some rimworld now ;)

Heffer
May 1, 2003

He missed a golden opportunity to add kuru for eating human flesh

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Elth posted:

I like the sound of those upcoming features. I also like the idea of a beer binge ending in drunken rants and fistfights.

I hope they start hiding stats from the player until they've been part of your colony for a while, medical checkups required for exact diagnosis etc. Maybe have prisoners straight up lie to you and you need a good conversationalist to get the truth out. Sure that captured raider says he's a great doctor, but when he's plugging wounds with putty and curing cancer with cannabis, maybe it's time to take him off the job. Basically make the only clear indicator of skills their profession and hide their mental stats.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

That sounds like negative fun.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

That sounds like negative fun.

maybe you might want to play peggle
its for filthy casual scum like u

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This is how you promote your mod

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Bondematt posted:

Low growing dudes can also fail to harvest. Usually best just to have one or two guys dedicated to it for this reason.

Also I usually zone it so my lovely guys just do potatoes or whatever. Don't gently caress up my xerigium man, that stuff is pure gold to my bullet riddled colonists.

Well I figured out part of it was my crops were being gobbled up by an apparent explosion in tamed animals I didn't notice. Still though, manually setting my devilstrand to harvest when I notice it is harvestable makes them show up, unless there is some weird thing where they die before they reach 100%. Does that quality (?) bar actually mean anything anyway? Clicking through all of them in my field shows a random assortment of 14/100 to 100/100 and I really dunno.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is it possible to automatically harvest crops when they are ready?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

w00tmonger posted:

Is it possible to automatically harvest crops when they are ready?

If you have a pawn with the growing skill active they will automatically harvest the crops when the crops are ready.

No mods are needed.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

At a certain point you are going to need dedicated farmers cooks etc

Play around with the allowed areas to make sure that your peeps don't go on all day expeditions instead of, you know, eating

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hey does anyone know why Midnight Snack Games stopped putting out videos? He was one of my favorite Rimworld players on Youtube.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've never watched anyone play Rimworld before, I can't imagine that's fun to watch is it?...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've never watched anyone play Rimworld before, I can't imagine that's fun to watch is it?...

It can be pretty hilarious. Midnight snack has some good videos. He doesn't play purely optimally so his bases are always unique and he gets very attached to his animals.

Aruba has some pretty entertaining episodes where he learns about fire.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

LLSix posted:

It can be pretty hilarious. Midnight snack has some good videos. He doesn't play purely optimally so his bases are always unique and he gets very attached to his animals.

Aruba has some pretty entertaining episodes where he learns about fire.

The other good thing about Midnight Snack is that he generally doesn't make a huge backlog for his play throughs, so he's pretty quick to fix things or use advice he gets in the comments. I used to watch a few other guys videos, but it would get a little frustrating watching the same problem persist for 5 updates before the player could fix them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Picked up the the Hardcore SK modpack. I like it because it has some decent difficulty settings and real progression where you don't start with research for metal stools but can also construct cryobeds from the get go because you installed that one mod. That said the progression is extremely grognardy and you'll have to craft basic building materials from the start.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I tryed that and I hated it because of all the extra loving about with materials.

I had really high hopes for it, but it's just too much :effort:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So is the main dev back off his haitus yet? I haven't been paying a lot of attention in recent history

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Azhais posted:

So is the main dev back off his haitus yet? I haven't been paying a lot of attention in recent history

He's kinda back? He last posted in January and stated he was kinda back but not really.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1

Hes posting semi-regularly on the forums discussing stuff about the game, but it seems like hes not fully back yet.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the next blog post about it. Atleast Piotr is working on the game fulltime!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've lost a few colonies to malaria in the SK hardcore mod pack (gently caress that disease) but I learned that amputating the infected body part fixes it :downs: A lot of people are down toes or fingers right now but I'll probably lose one of my best people since the mosquito got her in the torso while she was collecting boar. I like the little details like story event popups that accompany raids, they seem to incorporate your peoples traits because one of them mentioned cannibalism (all my guys are cannibals). I've finally established myself in a mountain pass I've walled off and roofed, with an unroofed section for growing potatoes and cotton but we'll see if I survive the winter with just a few parkas and no real heat sources.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

"Tynan posted:

Anyway, I'm happy to say what's happening now, since I don't have to guess at that. I've returned from my trip and am now fulltime+ on RW. Alpha 13 is in testing. Typically this phase lasts a number of weeks, but this one could be quite long given the amount of content that was added. Ison is on it full-time, coding, and I'm doing design and financial and legal work while getting back in the swing of things here. Unfortunately running a business involves ungodly amounts of paperwork.

Sounds like the update will probably be early/mid next month then, taking his words at face value.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
An actual update this time :)

https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/03/full-steam-ahead-towards-alpha-13/

Full Steam Ahead Towards Alpha 13

Hey everyone, just a quick update here. I’m back from travelling and am now working full-time on RimWorld. I’ve largely dealt with the paperwork tsunami that awaited me upon my return, so with my near-full attention as well as ongoing work from Piotr, the game is making smooth progress towards the Alpha 13 release.
The private testers are currently banging on the test version, while we fix bugs and sneak in some final improvements. Usually this phase takes a couple weeks, though this one could last longer because there is so much stuff in this update. Because of the long period since the last alpha (when Piotr was working and I was working quarter-time), this is the largest update since the initial pre-alpha in 2013.

I don’t have a release date, I’m afraid. I just wanted to let you all know that everything is moving along well. And I’m quite excited to see what you guys think of the new relationship system, marriages and lovers and breakups, social fights, fueled buildings, animal bonds, much more research, more better art, prison breaks, insect hives, on-foot trade caravans, and hundreds of other improvements to the game.

After Alpha 13 comes out, we’ll probably target doing the Steam release.
However, the Steam release is a game’s most important moment. One does not simply release a game on Steam. It takes a lot of effort and time to prepare a proper, decently-marketed Steam release, plus any time Valve might take to approve the final build. So there’s no date – just know that it is coming.

------------

Can't wait for this update to drop. I've been itching to play again (last I played was Alpha 10) but I don't really feel like starting over too much.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Midrena posted:

animal bonds,

Oh god, my butcher is going to grow attached to my local herd of meat animals isn't he? :gonk:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Conot posted:

Oh god, my butcher is going to grow attached to my local herd of meat animals isn't he? :gonk:

Eat the butcher...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Psychopath sounds like it's going to remain the best single trait in the game :unsmigghh:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Psychopath sounds like it's going to remain the best single trait in the game :unsmigghh:

I'm never ashamed when I cheat cannibal onto every colonist.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I actually would like it if there was an "acquired taste" mechanic, so that if a colonist partakes of the Long Pig enough times and has a breakdown as a result, then they should pick up Cannibal and stop flipping out. If I knew very much about programming I'd try to mod this in.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I actually would like it if there was an "acquired taste" mechanic, so that if a colonist partakes of the Long Pig enough times and has a breakdown as a result, then they should pick up Cannibal and stop flipping out. If I knew very much about programming I'd try to mod this in.

Yeah I would like that too, more character development is always good and it'll go well with the new relationship stuff. If a more comprehensive character system makes it into the game eventually it would also make the backgrounds more important. For example primitives would have a hard time with technology but highly educated scientists from advanced civilizations would be better suited to these tasks, as opposed to farming or hunting. I hope they look at the skill system next and overhauls it from being purely numbers based.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
What would be immensely helpful would be categorizing backgrounds. I can't count the number of times I've found two that seemed to match on paper, but were listed as "incompatible" when selected.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
An update with a full list of things to expect for the upcoming A13 release: https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/03/features-summary-alpha-13/ (It's in testing now so presumably this is a final list)

quote:

Relationships

Colonist family and social relationship system / Social relationships with friends, rivals, family, chats, arguments, and fights
Opinion system; pawns care about dozens of memories and situations to determine their opinions of each other
Family members out to cousins and beyond
Lovers, fiancees, marriages, ex-lovers, ex-spouses
Lovin’
People may get in social fights with those they dislike (even neutrals and enemies do this)
Animal bonding
People who leave the map while traveling, fleeing, being kidnapped, etc. can come back later as raiders, visitors, joiners, etc.
Marriage ceremonies and parties

Misc

New exotic infections: Gut worms, mechanite infections which give abilities at a cost of pain or fatigue, trauma savantism
New chronic diseases: Carinoma, asthma, hearing loss
New “firefoam popper” provides a way to combat fire besides punching it.

Prison breaks

Prison breaks. Prisoners pick the locks, get out, seek weapons and work as a group to escape.

Infestations

Self-reproducing, spreading underground insect hives
Insect hives are dangerous but produce succulent insect jelly

Animals and predators

Many more animals, some of which will hunt people
Some animals are now predators, including colony pets (e.g. cats catch squirrels)
Animals can gnaw corpses apart directly now

Threat response mode

Decide how colonists should auto-respond to threats: flee, attack, or ignore?

Economy

‘Components’ resource used for machinery and electronics
Ground-traveling trade caravans from other factions
Deeper research tree with more low-tech options and more things to research
New fueled buildings: stove and generator
Various new lower and higher-tech production buildings
Two research tables: simple and hi-tech. Hi-tech is required for some projects.

Misc

Character records which keep stats on each character like number of kills, injuries, surgeries, etc.
Extreme desert biome
Colonists in relationships can share beds
New double bed; royal bed is now gold-trimmed and fancy
New flatscreen and megascreen TVs
Colonists can now visit sick people in bed to cheer them up
Sick people in bed can now watch TV
Building damage overlays
Days are now twice as long as before, with years being half as many days. (This means that years are exactly as long as before in actual play time, just divided into a smaller number of longer days.)
The year is now split into seasons instead of months.
Animal kibble
Deep rooms stay cool in the heat
Richer tale recording and better art descriptions
Hundreds of balance improvements, optimizations, tweaks and fixes

That's a massive amount of new content, and should help to add some much needed depth. Extra research options in particular is something I really like the sound of. A more gradual progression from low-tech to hi-tech is something I often look for in mods.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Some of that seems pretty cool, but some of it seems like just incorporating mods that I didn't like enough to use.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
When will the update drop?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
From the latest blog post:

quote:

We’ve got no release date for it, but it’s in the testing and polishing phase. However, keep in mind that this is a big update and even with smaller updates this phase lasts for weeks.

So probably some time in April would be my guess if everything goes well, or perhaps May if the testing/bug-squashing takes longer than expected due to the large amount of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh I guess it's good that I'm so addicted to Path of Exile just now then, so mods will have time to update