Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Ohhhh nooooooo Leomon! :( And it looked like Ken was destroying eggs at the beginning of the episode... so.... he won't be coming back?
I can't believe they didn't even mention the 02 kids at ALL. Surely with these portals opening they should at least discuss bringing them on board, but otherwise it just seems really lovely and cliquey to just exclude them completely. Especially since they're so welcoming to that new annoying girl.

Oh and Joe's a selfish douche. Gomamon was right in dumping him.

3 movies left... who will be the focus of the next ones?

TK/Kairi?

Izzy/Sora?

Matt/Tai/Annoying new girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Four movies actually, next one is Izzy/Takeru, so the one after that is probably Sora/Hikari. Once that's done I'm guessing the government duo could share a cover or maybe the 02 kids will show up.

Right now i'd keep confident on the 02 Kids being relevant soon, as much as I kept saying nah to some friends of mine before, the Ocean of Darkness might play a big role in this since that's Ken's territory and his message could have something to do with it, if not then at the very least it's very likely that Ken is working with the rest of the 02 cast and since they fought with Alphamon they most likely know way more about what's going than anyone else.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

watching Tri, Mimi is still the strongest

e: annoying theme of the movie so far: "Mimi owns way too much, gotta hammer that nail down"
e2: they walked it back though so it's cool

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 13, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So do we know who the weird hooded dragon Digimon is that's following them around?

He looks sort of familiar.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ahaha Himekawa of all people sending Hooters Mimi to Izzy

e: this leomon scene

WORLD OF KNIFE

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Burkion posted:

So do we know who the weird hooded dragon Digimon is that's following them around?

He looks sort of familiar.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks a lot like Hackmon?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Seiyal posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks a lot like Hackmon?

That's definitely who it is. Makes me wonder if Jesmon will show up later on.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I didn't even know there was actually a BanchoLilymon, I figured that was a joke or something. It looks cooler than Rosemon, but Rosemon's aesthetics fit better with the rest of the crew.

Right now i'm seriously wondering what side Ken is on, ultimately he is going to be a good guy since he's in the epilogue and everything, and more importantly he is going to be a detective so his actions this movie add up to detective work (visiting crime scenes, gathering info and restraining a culprit/murder weapon until enough information is gathered) all he did was gather data, but was it to aid the chosen children, was he in cahoots with the government (that government lady, after obviously on purpose ensuring that Izzy would come to Daters so that the digimon were all alone for her to do something with, had ample unaccounted time to meet up with Ken and set up Meicoomon to be kidnapped) or maybe he and the 02 Kids are their own fraction in all of this?
Calling it now, he was hoping for Imperialdramon's defeat so that it'd be reborn and thus both partner digimon were finally free of the infection.

Ken isn't working with Himekawa, she shows surprise when she sees him by herself. She's definitely a villain though, watch her face during the reaction montage to Meicoomon going nuts.

e: but yeah re: Ken and Imperialdramon, everyone's reactions are stupidly muted to Ken and I'm sorry but bullshit they just straight up BEAT Imperialdramon, that's ridiculous.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Emong posted:

That's definitely who it is. Makes me wonder if Jesmon will show up later on.

The odds for Gankoomon to show are also pretty high. You know, it would be nice if the RK weren't in full Genocide mode for once.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think that's bullshit.

Keep in mind, Imperialdramon is just a Mega Level, even in battle mode.

Zudomon could take on Mega Level threats by himself- not win alone, but he could reasonably stand a chance. Hell he did that WITH Leomon before.

The fact that he went Mega Level, and then Lillymon went Mega Level, meant it was two on one and then Leomon helped tip the odds even more in their favor.

Add that to the fact that we know the Digimon aren't as strong when they're evil and corrupt, and you end up with a very dead Imperialdramon. I do love that they showed more concern for Ogremon than him though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rodyle posted:

Ken isn't working with Himekawa, she shows surprise when she sees him by herself. She's definitely a villain though, watch her face during the reaction montage to Meicoomon going nuts.

e: but yeah re: Ken and Imperialdramon, everyone's reactions are stupidly muted to Ken and I'm sorry but bullshit they just straight up BEAT Imperialdramon, that's ridiculous.

That could be surprise like "oh poo poo I thought those kids loving died months ago, this one's alive and poo poo?!" and then found an opportunity to go talk with him. But yeah it's most likely that Ken is acting independently from her and the government, i simply like my little theory even though i'm 75% sure it's not the case.

Imperialdramon is a punk and two megas plus Leomon taking him down sounds exactly right. Though he could also simply not have been truly defeated, we just saw a big-rear end smoke cloud and green data bytes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I'm considering. Not sure how long we should continue spoiling discussion about this but might as well

Assuming Something is up with Maincoomon specifically, and not the girl- though I think there might be something up with her and her Digivice as well, not strictly with Maincoomon- maybe he wasn't supposed to be her Digimon? Maybe he latched onto her and her natural potential as a Digidestined to hide from Alphamon and others. If that's the case, Hackmon might be her actual partner. Assuming she IS a DigiDestined, anyways.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Burkion posted:

I don't think that's bullshit.

Keep in mind, Imperialdramon is just a Mega Level, even in battle mode.

Zudomon could take on Mega Level threats by himself- not win alone, but he could reasonably stand a chance. Hell he did that WITH Leomon before.

The fact that he went Mega Level, and then Lillymon went Mega Level, meant it was two on one and then Leomon helped tip the odds even more in their favor.

Add that to the fact that we know the Digimon aren't as strong when they're evil and corrupt, and you end up with a very dead Imperialdramon. I do love that they showed more concern for Ogremon than him though.

Besides that, Imperialdramon hasn't had the best track record without power-ups. He's a strong Mega, but never was a great fighter when it came to threats on his level. I'm just glad to see the Adventure kids with the least focus getting a win like that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The odds for Gankoomon to show are also pretty high. You know, it would be nice if the RK weren't in full Genocide mode for once.

Is there ever a time when the Royal Knights aren't suffering from massive in-fighting and attempts to wipe out entire groups of people?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Is there ever a time when the Royal Knights aren't suffering from massive in-fighting and attempts to wipe out entire groups of people?

Not as a group, no. I don't know why they're always placed in the villain role in the fiction.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It's kind of crazy that the group that is supposed to serve as the protectors of the digital world has been the bad guys more than the group of digimon that is made up of literal demons.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ethiser posted:

It's kind of crazy that the group that is supposed to serve as the protectors of the digital world has been the bad guys more than the group of digimon that is made up of literal demons.

nobody likes a paladin

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I want to see them break the mold and do something with the Olympus XII instead. I am really sick of the knights falling into the exact same plot of following Yggdrasil as it malfunctions. It's so overdone.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Geostomp posted:

Not as a group, no. I don't know why they're always placed in the villain role in the fiction.

Well, IIRC they are actually helpful in the Digimon Crusaders game.

Geostomp posted:

I want to see them break the mold and do something with the Olympus XII instead. I am really sick of the knights falling into the exact same plot of following Yggdrasil as it malfunctions. It's so overdone.

To be fair, Yggdrassil wasn't entirely wrong during Savers' events.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Imperialdramon couldn't beat an Ultimate level digimon as Paildramon, and needed to turn into a super mode just to beat Skullsatamon.

Basically what I'm saying is he was a chump.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I just think it's hilarious, as someone who copped out of Digimon after Tamers, that you all refer to these Royal Knights guys being an old and tired plot point. I didn't even know what those were until it was brought up in the thread.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Twiddy posted:

I just think it's hilarious, as someone who copped out of Digimon after Tamers, that you all refer to these Royal Knights guys being an old and tired plot point. I didn't even know what those were until it was brought up in the thread.

If it helps to date it, they've been in the series since at least the tail end of Frontier, and in fairly constant use since then.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rodyle posted:

watching Tri, Mimi is still the strongest

e: annoying theme of the movie so far: "Mimi owns way too much, gotta hammer that nail down"
e2: they walked it back though so it's cool

I'm glad Mimi's important moral lesson is "gently caress the haters"

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Burkion posted:

One thing I'm considering. Not sure how long we should continue spoiling discussion about this but might as well

Assuming Something is up with Maincoomon specifically, and not the girl- though I think there might be something up with her and her Digivice as well, not strictly with Maincoomon- maybe he wasn't supposed to be her Digimon? Maybe he latched onto her and her natural potential as a Digidestined to hide from Alphamon and others. If that's the case, Hackmon might be her actual partner. Assuming she IS a DigiDestined, anyways.

I like this. The similarity between Meiko and Meicoomon's names is cute thematically but almost TOO much so to ignore. Also we already have a girl with a cute cat Digidestined Digimon, but a girl with an awesome sword dragon Digimon would be new so I'm all for it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Royal Knights take an undeniably heroic role in the Digimon Xros Wars manga, which is good and you all should read it. And the other versions (beyond loving Frontier) have a mix of "just following orders" and genuinely good beings.

That said yeah, give us other groups. The Olympus XIII, or hell, a smaller group like the Three Musketeers.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Also Meiko is good because she does dumb poo poo like run up to Taichi in the men's sauna, go all "it's cool my glasses are all fogged up", then lift her glasses to check out his crotch.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can I just say

THANK YOU DIGIMON TRI

We had an entire Hot Springs Spa episode and not a bit of it was spent lingering on half naked underage girls.

Holy poo poo I never thought anime could be so restrained anymore. There was ZERO fanservice in the hotsprings episode!

Sure we got Bouncing Tits Mon a few episodes later, but you know at least she looks like an adult and isn't literally 14.

Also who ever is writing Digimon Tri really want Tai and Matt to gently caress. Which they should, to be fair. Just get it over with guys!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Meiko is still a totally awful character (She's like a bad fanfiction OC) but the recent episodes have given me a newfound appreciation for Mimi. She's rad.

It's been overall good so far.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

how is Meiko a "bad fanfiction character"? Especially in comparison to the pre-existing girl who is 1) related to the main character, 2) is the focus of an entire arc, 3) has a partner that has both a mysterious past and is a level above everyone else, and 4) has a heretofore unexplained power that makes her more special than everyone else?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

how is Meiko a "bad fanfiction character"? Especially in comparison to the pre-existing girl who is 1) related to the main character, 2) is the focus of an entire arc, 3) has a partner that has both a mysterious past and is a level above everyone else, and 4) has a heretofore unexplained power that makes her more special than everyone else?

You forgot 5) has no personality whatsoever and is mostly a walking deus ex machina (almost literally, at that).

I really, really hate Hikari. 02 making her even more bland somehow while taking away any importance she might've had didn't endear me to her either. Tri has put some effort into making her a bit more of a character, but we'll see how that goes.

Meiko is fine. She isn't super interesting but she has a clear personality and some amusing interactions with Mimi. Meicoomon is also fine and I'm looking forward to find out what she really is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can see where the comparisons come from, so calm your tits. Kari was never in that vein- she's a Sixth Ranger archetype, not a mary sue insert.

Mary Sue Insert better fits what Meiko *COULD* have been than anything with Kari. Meiko is randomly thrown into the main clique despite no one knowing who she is and there being nothing 'special' about her, her Digimon is ridiculously cute and popular and everyone loves it, she has a classic Digivice like the cool kids, blah blah blah blah blah

She has all of the traits of one.

She's not because she's genuinely a good character if not one note so far, and because a lot of that is set up to give you the wrong idea. Because that's not what she, or at least her partner, really is. It's a lie. I don't know about her HERSELF, but her Digimon and seemingly her Digivice are not what they appear at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if she was something more as well.

She's presented as the most stereotypical NEW PERSON GUY that you see in fanfics and badly done follow ups just to throw you off the track that yeah, something is wrong with them. This is intentional and calling it out just shows that they noticed the first bit.

That's like, basic story telling.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like Hikari just fine. I said that because you can make "fanfic character traits" accusations of a particular long-standing character relatively just as easily as you can Meiko. But you can also do that in other canons with hugging BATMAN or something.

I think the standards change a bit when you're dealing with, not fanfiction, but an actual canonical work being produced for consumption.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I like Hikari just fine. I said that because you can make "fanfic character traits" accusations of a particular long-standing character relatively just as easily as you can Meiko. But you can also do that in other canons with hugging BATMAN or something.

I think the standards change a bit when you're dealing with, not fanfiction, but an actual canonical work being produced for consumption.

The thing is that Kari isn't that kind of character. Just, top to bottom.

She's not a Mary Sue Self Insert style character, which exist IN actual fiction as much as it does fanfiction. Don't forget the likes of Wesley Crusher and other horrible characters.

Kari is, straight up, just the Sixth Ranger. She and Gatomon form the most basic left to right right to left Sixth Ranger archetype you're going to find short of Tommy Goddamn Oliver. She's more a Sixth Ranger than Ken, who was an even more literal Sixth Ranger type.

Hell the fact that she was literally part of the show from before there was the actual anime, as remember the first Digimon movie came out BEFORE the TV series, breaks the idea that she could fit into the Mary Sue Archetype.

So it's just a flatly wrong comparison to make. Take it from a writer.

Meiko is more in line with the Mary Sue Archetype because that's how she's set up in the series. Don't forget though, before the series, the marketing played her up as mysterious and potentially sinister, which is why no one should be worried that she's meant to be a Mary Sue type at all.

She is ambiguous and I want to see where that goes.

The other thing I'm concerned about is the Epilogue.

If that is strictly canon, and they're not going to deviate from it what so ever, even the dumber things, then it's going to invalidate a lot of stuff they're actually DOING with Tri.

Notably the entire Izzy Mimi relationship is getting brought up only to go literally nowhere because we know they don't end up together. If all Tri does is build to the Epilogue without meaningfully changing any of it, or at least redeeming it, then this entire exercise is going to be kind of futile and will leave a bad taste in my mouth.

The Sora Tai Matt stuff, whatever, it's not been too bad yet. The TK Kari stuff is there but again, understated.

Izzy and Mimi getting built up as a thing has been going strong ever since Izzy learned Mimi was back in the country and has been a defining thing for the dude on a personal level.

So I'm really worried about the ending of Tri at the moment. Thankfully Tri itself is fantastic and we have four more movies to hopefully see what they're really doing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Whatever. I'm not going to argue endlessly with you again. I made my point and I stand by it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Whatever. I'm not going to argue endlessly with you again. I made my point and I stand by it.

We're not arguing. You're just wrong about Kari. She's literally the second character introduced in the Digimon Adventure franchise.

I don't even know why you wanted to argue about it because we both agree on the point of the whole thing- the new girl isn't what she appears to be. She's not a Mary Sue archetype. I don't know why you like to argue but it's silly.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm glad Mimi's important moral lesson is "gently caress the haters"

It is a big part of her crest, after all.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I kind of remember Kari being an okay character addition. Gatomon's whole plot of going from being the bad guy's lieutenant to being the "but more special" member of the cast was Power Rangers as hell, mostly because she hangs out in Champion form all the time, and that "just like everyone else but one stage more powerful" thing is a lot like a sentai show's Bonus Hero.

It becomes less meaningful by the time Wargreymon etc are semi-regular appearances.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
kari owns, as does gatomon

also she was the one who was my age when the first series came out so i guess i always liked her best cause of that too

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
What are the odds that they bring back Ladydevimon so she and Angewomon can fight again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

My one problem with Gatoman was that there was never really enough of a nod to her being perma-champion. Show needed more of her just casually swatting dudes aside.