Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

I wonder what's in Crobizzle's go-bag.

A voodo doll of Derek Smart?

Uncle Derek, have you been suffering from sudden sharp pains on any parts of your body recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Happy Sisyphus posted:

i have to confess i have posted in other threads

is this how leavers feel-

like true scum?

Only if you have the Derek Smarties gang tag, which is ultimately why I never got one.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

yea but he has GARY OLDMAN and SANDI GARDINER

you just cant get that kind of starpower in CoD. the best they did was just gary

they had kevin spacy and he's way dreamier :swoon:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Ravane posted:

Holy loving poo poo that's cool. I gotta get this game. As soon as I get a decent computer to run it, haha.

It's actually quite optimized, in that you can run it on almost anything if you fiddle with the graphics settings. And still not make the game look like complete poo poo.

Also, it's a very good game for VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xskNQKtW4

You can get at least 40-50 hours of enjoyment out of it (more if you play with/make friends), then get bored, and log in after 3 months or so to test the next update (it's still under active post-launch development).
It's a pretty niche title though. For someone like me (played all previous Elite games) this is a no brainer, but many people have trouble enjoying the game for what it is. A very well crafted but wanting in content and complexity sandbox with impeccable sound design and an old school Elite game design.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 13, 2016

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

like I would ever give money to a Kickstarter

I'm here to laugh at the eventual or current misery of others

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Scruffpuff posted:

If my CEO decides, for some reason, that he wants to cast Gary Oldman in a 3-second commercial, in the end that decision is going to come down to money. If he wants to pay 5 million dollars for that, more power to him. If he does so, and asks me to "direct", because why the gently caress not, that does not mean that I get to parade around the world claiming "I directed Gary Oldman!" Yet that's precisely what Chris is thinking. He didn't cast those people because he wanted to make a high-quality game, or for any of his backers - he did it for two reasons:

1) To fulfill his fantasy of being a "real" director
2) To get his wife "acting" alongside real actors

He failed on both counts. No matter who you "direct", Chris, you will always suck. Your wife is not, has never been, and will never be, an actress. You lose.

In fact, it's worse than that. Using my aforementioned hypothetical commercial, if I have a famous actor with tons of experience, I'm not going to do much as a director. I trust they know enough to make an excellent appearance, so the less I meddle, the better the quality is likely to be. Now look at the "performance" Chris got from Gary as Admiral Bishop. It's an awful performance. Think of this - Chris doesn't just have no talent - he has negative talent. He wrung a bad performance from a good actor. That's taking failure to a whole new level. That's like having over $100 million dollars and some of the best talent in the world across several countries and still not being able to make a working tech demo.

Chris Roberts at work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABxH-NTF0SM

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

It's going to be worse than anyone thinks, except those people at CIG who've seen it. You'll know which people those are if you meet the staff - they're the ones with the thousand-yard stare. Did you ever see the Twilight Zone episode (the original series had it, and it was one of the stories in the movie) with the little kid with godlike powers who was holding his family hostage? That family is CIG. Chris is a juggernaut of poo poo - the only options are to get out of the way, or get covered in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETfzfy0jy74&t=21s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/709139687454015489

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

I wonder what's in Crobizzle's go-bag.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Stimpire Parps Back

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I actually think the concept of SQ42 (a long-rear end interactive movie) can work- it just would need to be so groundbreakingly impressive on the levels that Half-Life 2 and Avatar were, which I don't think CIG is capable of pulling off. I'm talking like full-VR integration, photorealistic scenes and characters (and not in the Cryengine sort of way, but in a UE4 ArchViz kind of way), like something so balls to the walls "~immersive~" it's beyond anything anyone has ever experienced before.

It's one of those go-big-or-go-home type things and who really believes CIG can do that?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

Oh my god

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

:five:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
^ lol @ Derek as Yoda. And one hopes :lesnick: as Vader turns out true in the end.

Many a goon has been wished out into the cornfield that is SA and outside the good house that is the brown sea.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 13, 2016

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

This is glorious.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

KIDDING ME??? :five: :five: :five: :five:

This is going to be the center piece in the Solar Plebeian "Paaarpinson's Landing" museum wing. Among the many other masterworks by Galarox (and others).

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I've been viewing/posting on the SC forums the last two days. It seems that the current mantra about the game has become "I think you have to take a break from Star Citizen" lately. I see this on almost every rant posted on the general chat section.

Here is a variation of what I'm trying to say..

quote:

I can give only one advice to people that thinks that it takes too much time... Just leave for a time. Go play other games. There is nothing to be lost by not being there. Alpha and Beta stage or games suck. And I mean that they seriously suck. They are not fun to play. When it will be ready, then you will get to judge it for yourself.

quote:

A break, even a short one really helps. I mean, unless you expect to come back to a finished product. I got so behind in SC stuff following my wedding and honeymoon, that I ended up taking about a three month break. Just caught back up around the beginning of this month. They've made some nice progress, and there was so much "new" news to catch up on that it really kind of 'refreshed' the project to me.

So..a guy finally snapped.

quote:

How many times are we going to be told to "take a break"? until 2020?

Nobody who is currently on the "Negative Bandwagon" are suggesting a strict time line, but at this point in time there is a much bigger concern ... not about time taken .... but about confidence/competency to deliver anything based on the pretty heavy amount of mistakes/delays/terrible predictions and blatant hyping features that they never intended to deliver around the time of them hyping said features.

This is more about a vote of no confidence than a need to "take a break" .... many people are pointing out a great deal of varied inconsistencies, the lack of ability to communicate design concepts, the withholding of "content" paid for over 3 years ago (IDRIS) .... the 6 months delays on pretty much every element....

If you made a tally of features/deadlines/estimates hyped, on wether thye hit or miss ... they'd pretty much be all misses.

Why have we no working A.I yet?

Why despite Nyx being on its final "Lighting pass" have we not seen ANY GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE of it? why no A.I despite talking about it for 2 years solid? why cant they make a temporary hyper-drive location to nyx isntead of spout this "oh we need to build stanton first before nyx can be shown" ... yea not what they were saying SIX MONTHS AGO.

Terra? oh that thing that was well underway .... only 2-3 art pictures in 18-24 months.

Where are those NPCs that were shown over a year ago? oh right ... it was faked.... again.

EScape pods? nope sorry, that video rehashed 2 years running was faked... again.

2016? "we are now looking into small mining/scavenging ships to test other roles" ... what, you mean it didn't occur to you to START with these ships instead of selling a £600 mining ship that probably won't be made until 2018?

Again, time isn't an issue, confidence on delivery is FAR bigger now. "Taking a break" doesn't fix anything.

In OCTOBER 2015 - "Shopping is around the corner, then nyx in november to test NPCs etc" .....

In MARCH 2016 - "Don't expect shopping in 2.3, 2.4 or 2.5" (so basically WAIT ANOTHER 4 MONTHS). "Also, don't expect Nyx until we build out stanton completely... for reasons...."

This is happening constantly..... hype, no delivery, hype, no delivery .... release something almost unworkable and fix it to a compentant state in 6 months ... maybe show a video of another unfinished feature to WOW the audience then repeat.....

constant bait and switch.

Transparency? showing a "Art Sneak Peek" once a week. and telling us about all the unfinished work ( again, whats the point in having the heads of each department talk about what they are doing? they never seem to show anything ... show us what you are doing... for gods sake.)

The answer was pretty nice..."if you cannot change the universe, change yourself, Young One"...

quote:

Actually taking a break fixes everything... because you won't worry about those problems you described. What other option there is? You won't get you money back, no one cares about what you write on forums, and if you get more and more aggressive then they will ban you. So only difference you make is the difference for you personally. You are worrying about something you can't change. Only thing you can change is yourself.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 13, 2016

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

:pusheen:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

Yoda/Derek seals it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Toops posted:

KIDDING ME??? :five: :five: :five: :five:

This is going to be the center piece in the Solar Plebeian "Paaarpinson's Landing" museum wing. Among the many other masterworks by Galarox (and others).
We need to do a Kickstarter for Solar Plebian, to raise money to cast Gary Busey in a FMV video of interminable length.

He's gotta be cheap at this point.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

:pgabz: :five: :pgabz:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

:gary: :five: :five: :five: :five: :gary:

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

a masterpiece.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Special bonus parp wars jpeg, Jaben The Hutt:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Galarox posted:

Mommyyyyyy : (

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Galarox posted:

I'm loving dead.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dante80 posted:

I've been viewing/posting on the SC forums the last two days. It seems that the current mantra about the game has become "I think you have to take a break from Star Citizen" lately. I see this on almost every rant posted on the general chat section.

Here is a variation of what I'm trying to say..

So..a guy finally snapped.

The answer was pretty nice..."if you cannot change the universe, change yourself, Young One"...

Link please.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

:golfclap: Splendid!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Mirificus posted:

Link please.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6460641/#Comment_6460641

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

Galarox posted:

i'm so happy i found this thread

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

galarox at this point i am curious as to how big your star citizen photoshop folder is

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Happy Sisyphus posted:

galarox at this point i am curious as to how big your star citizen photoshop folder is

1.99 gig apparently

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Galarox posted:

1.99 gig apparently

28 more and you can make us a patcher so we can download the whole folder each time you make a new shop!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I hope Toops makes it so that you can download Solar Plebeian without an account, but it has to download each file 42 times before it works.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

Beautiful.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

:perfect:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lol. Ate a pistachio, now watching the nutcracker. wht r u up 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

!!!!!

• Locked thread