Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Walh Hara posted:

Which mod would you guys recommend for making lategame enemies a bit more challenging? I just build the rocket silo and yet enemies are still mostly small biters (only very recently did I start seeing spitter's at all). It's also a bit too easy in my opinion to just clear out all enemy bases in your pollution cloud, something that would make them resettle (much faster) would be good.

Upping the size or richness of biter bases during world gen. makes them much more challenging in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
If you want more dangerous biters, pollute more. Go off of Solar and move to dirty fuel cubes.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Krysmphoenix posted:

If you want more dangerous biters, pollute more. Go off of Solar and move to dirty fuel cubes.

Solar is for weak, soft hippies. Our goal here is to terraform this planet, ie make it look more like Earth: Black skies, brown water, extinct wildlife.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

LLSix posted:

Upping the size or richness of biter bases during world gen. makes them much more challenging in my experience.

Yeah, I know of the world gen settings, but I don't mind it being so easy in the beginning (as at that point it'd be really easy to get overrun and lose everything). I'd prefer it if the difficulty scaled more with time.

Moddington posted:

You can use the console to greatly reduce the global cooldown on biter settling (default values shown):

code:
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.min_expansion_cooldown = 5 * 3600
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.max_expansion_cooldown = 60 * 3600
The values are given in ticks (60 ticks per second, 3600 ticks per minute), and the default settings are 5 to 60 minutes. Bringing it down to under a minute can have some impressively dramatic effects. Though note that this won't take effect until the next time the biters settle.

Or, if the biter bases aren't dense enough for you, or you want them to settle even closer to you, there's also these settings:

code:
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.min_base_spacing = 3
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.min_player_base_distance = 3
Both values are given in chunks (32x32 areas the size of the 'pixels' of pollution/fog of war on the map).

You only have to type these commands once per save file, as the game will remember your changes. And typing them becomes easier when you use the up/down arrows to use the command history.

Thanks, I'll try this.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Factorio: gently caress This Planet I Need More Iron

Also maybe next playthrough I'll take off peaceful. After all, I got about 30 stacks of buckshot I want to use. And who knows, maybe a few mods won't hurt now that I know what I'm doing mostly.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Go hog wild with the buckshot; peaceful means each nest is its own entity. Shoot one biter, nobody gives a poo poo. Shoot one nest, all of its spawns attack you. They don't aggro other settlements though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I should but uh, I've still Combat Shotguns to unlock and for some reason early logistic robot transports are sloooooooow without upgrades.

Speaking of, Ishould just bus the loads until I get faster bots.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
So I'm about 7 hours into a freeplay game, and realize I'm going to need purple science packs soon. Alien artifacts are needed for them, but I either turned aliens off or to very low. Is there a quick way to add some in or did I gently caress myself?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

That Gobbo posted:

So I'm about 7 hours into a freeplay game, and realize I'm going to need purple science packs soon. Alien artifacts are needed for them, but I either turned aliens off or to very low. Is there a quick way to add some in or did I gently caress myself?

If you turned biters off altogether, you're hosed and you'll have to console some in or find a mod to create purple science. If you just turned them really low and sparse, start pounding sand to find some spawners.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Thankfully even if you do find biters, 1 artifact goes to 10 science packs, so it's moderately efficient. I don't remember really having to grind an inordinate number of biters to get enough science to research pretty much anything useful.

/c game.player.insert { name='iron-plate', count=1000 }

That's the console command for items though; change it to 'alien-artifact' or just 'alien-science-pack' if you have to go that route.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Just finished my first game of factorio, took me 32 hours.

Ended up being a big heap of spaghetti (drat those blue circuits), but man that was a lot of fun.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Captain_duck posted:

Ended up being a big heap of spaghetti (drat those blue circuits), but man that was a lot of fun.

Very cool. Your base looks good. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Evilreaver posted:

Solar is for weak, soft hippies. Our goal here is to terraform this planet, ie make it look more like Earth: Black skies, brown water, extinct wildlife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdBTknCZnGY

This is what the inside of those factories looks like.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Truga posted:

I wish, all my smog belching death factory can turn out is 9mm rounds, buckshot, and bottle rockets. I long to be able to turn my industrial might to producing artillery rounds the size of compact cars.

Before you say it, the Nerf darts our so called tank shoots do not count.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I started making the jump to using bots last night. Is it wise, now, to throw down provider and storage chests for a bunch of intermediate and final goods?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Truga posted:

Well, if we were in it for the money rather than just for the joy of killing all the wildlife and covering all their stuff in glorious concrete, railways and smog. And if Factorio had parts of The Tempest grafted to it for some reason.

The best part* of Factorio is that we are essentially playing Captain Planet villains. The only thing missing is a magical ring that would let us dramatically shout "Deforestation!" to get rid of all the pesky trees.

Nth Doctor posted:

I started making the jump to using bots last night. Is it wise, now, to throw down provider and storage chests for a bunch of intermediate and final goods?
1. Put everything you might ever at any point want to built or have delivered to you or anywhere else in passive providers. All your end product assemblers should output into these, as should any intermediate products delivered using bots.
2. Put requester chests as inputs to assemblers that you want fed by bots.
3. Put a field of storage chests in some central area for junk deliveries and temporary storage of wood and deconstructed things.
4. Put active providers in your train station if you want to have it emptied by robots (you probably don't unless very pressed for space), or if there's some product you want immediately moved to your central storage area for whatever reason. Active providers are generally not that useful.

Try to not go overboard on running your entire factory on logistic bot transport, it can potentially get very boring. Belts are the best part* of Factorio.

*not actually the best part.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

The only thing missing is a magical ring that would let us dramatically shout "Deforestation!" to get rid of all the pesky trees.

Oh, there is. It's called personal roboport. Or poison capsules. Or flamethrowers...

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Xerophyte posted:

Well, if we were in it for the money rather than just for the joy of killing all the wildlife and covering all their stuff in glorious concrete, railways and smog. And if Factorio had parts of The Tempest grafted to it for some reason.

The best part* of Factorio is that we are essentially playing Captain Planet villains. The only thing missing is a magical ring that would let us dramatically shout "Deforestation!" to get rid of all the pesky trees.

1. Put everything you might ever at any point want to built or have delivered to you or anywhere else in passive providers. All your end product assemblers should output into these, as should any intermediate products delivered using bots.
2. Put requester chests as inputs to assemblers that you want fed by bots.
3. Put a field of storage chests in some central area for junk deliveries and temporary storage of wood and deconstructed things.
4. Put active providers in your train station if you want to have it emptied by robots (you probably don't unless very pressed for space), or if there's some product you want immediately moved to your central storage area for whatever reason. Active providers are generally not that useful.

Try to not go overboard on running your entire factory on logistic bot transport, it can potentially get very boring. Belts are the best part* of Factorio.

*not actually the best part.

Thanks for the tips.
I did have one of those moments of awakening last night: I started to make a new red circuit factory plot, when I realized: I could just use the logistic network to get excess from my existing factory over here!
Now I have along belt full of plastic doing nothing.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Nth Doctor posted:

Thanks for the tips.
I did have one of those moments of awakening last night: I started to make a new red circuit factory plot, when I realized: I could just use the logistic network to get excess from my existing factory over here!
Now I have along belt full of plastic doing nothing.

Active providers are good for one thing: Put your repair pack assembler output into one and it forces the robots to move some to each roboport on your map. Then if anything gets damaged, the repairs happen immediately rather than waiting for a robot to drag it's arse all the way over from storage.

Captain_duck posted:

Nice and concrete covered. Now you've played through once you have a much better idea what you need most of and the rough sizes of things so your next factory should be easier to lay out.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Hypothetically speaking, is there a way of coupling combinators, wires and active/passive chests in order to come up with a centralized storage with only of a finite number(example: only one cell of the inventory) of multiple items which i decide? (belts, bullets, sonal panels, etc..)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Evilreaver posted:

I'm doing my part!

(the flame is animated, and they hiss and roar)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
One base I made used Active Providers instead of Passive, each fed by a Smart Inserter for each product so there wasn't overproduction. While it was kinda nice to just walk to the storage bank to have bots instantly resupply everything (rather than flying all over to find stuff from Passives), that's a hugely minor plus to the set-two-dozen-smarts-:effort: minus.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I like having my big yellow-chest depot near my factory lines, so I can construct and dismantle production lines to/from storage. Thus, I purple-chest all of my buildables - belts, factories, arms, etc - and use green arms to make sure they're not getting unloaded into the logistics network unless I'm running low.

vvv EDIT: Yeah, green arms get the logistics network if they're physically in range of it, and then they can be set to only offload into a provider if there's < x of the thing in your network.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 14, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

RattiRatto posted:

Hypothetically speaking, is there a way of coupling combinators, wires and active/passive chests in order to come up with a centralized storage with only of a finite number(example: only one cell of the inventory) of multiple items which i decide? (belts, bullets, sonal panels, etc..)

Yes, you should be able to set it up using smart inserters. Make them only pull stuff out of the assemblers if the amount of the particular item in the logistic network falls below a certain threshold. (I haven't tried this myself but it should be possible.) I think smart inserters join the logistics network if they're placed within range of a roboport, but again I haven't used them. (And I'm on travel this week and have no access to factorio. It's killing me a little bit.)

Don't worry about how it's organized in your storage chests, let the robots handle that. Only focus on the high-level production-vs-consumption numbers.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

RattiRatto posted:

Without just actively providing at the distributed assemblers as the above?

You can technically do this is if the centralized storage is a different logistic network than everything else. Say the centralized storage has a Network B and the factory has a Network A. You'd have chests requesting one bot stack limit of items in network A, belt or dumb inserter those items over to network B, then use smart inserters to fill up centralized passive providers in B to your threshold using the logistic filter.

Having two disjoint networks probably defeats the purpose of the exercise, though.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LordSaturn posted:

I like having my big yellow-chest depot near my factory lines, so I can construct and dismantle production lines to/from storage. Thus, I purple-chest all of my buildables - belts, factories, arms, etc - and use green arms to make sure they're not getting unloaded into the logistics network unless I'm running low.

vvv EDIT: Yeah, green arms get the logistics network if they're physically in range of it, and then they can be set to only offload into a provider if there's < x of the thing in your network.

This is good practice like other posters have already noted (but it bears repeating). Put some of everything into the network, any line you have, every item assembled -> put it into passive or storage with a smarty set up to limit it (I also set the filter to the same item so it's easy to see what thing the smarty will try to move). It just makes life so much easier knowing that if you need something, anything, you can get robots to bring you some rather than run around like a mad thing trying to find where it is.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

Thankfully even if you do find biters, 1 artifact goes to 10 science packs, so it's moderately efficient. I don't remember really having to grind an inordinate number of biters to get enough science to research pretty much anything useful.

/c game.player.insert { name='iron-plate', count=1000 }

That's the console command for items though; change it to 'alien-artifact' or just 'alien-science-pack' if you have to go that route.

Or if you're too lazy to type all that out, like one of the devs apparently was, the (slightly) shorter version if it is

/c game.player.insert("iron-plate")

and you'll get one full stack of the item in question.

You should probably get in the habit of using game.local_player instead though, since it's multiplayer-safe.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ratzap posted:

This is good practice like other posters have already noted (but it bears repeating). Put some of everything into the network, any line you have, every item assembled -> put it into passive or storage with a smarty set up to limit it (I also set the filter to the same item so it's easy to see what thing the smarty will try to move). It just makes life so much easier knowing that if you need something, anything, you can get robots to bring you some rather than run around like a mad thing trying to find where it is.

I usually use my logstics bar to keep a singleton of every relevant buildable in my pocket for drone-stamping, and maybe 25 green circuits to clean blueprints with. Never pick up your own toys, kids - that's what the drones are for!

I am very slow at learning that it's more important to optimize for space in the future (by building poo poo far apart) than it is to optimize for space in the present (by cramming everything in as tight as possible). If you go to the trouble of spawning a world with water only in the starting area, build your production line outside of the starting area.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Loren1350 posted:

Or if you're too lazy to type all that out, like one of the devs apparently was, the (slightly) shorter version if it is

/c game.player.insert("iron-plate")

and you'll get one full stack of the item in question.

You should probably get in the habit of using game.local_player instead though, since it's multiplayer-safe.

And if you find yourself using the insert command a lot, you might find this useful:

code:
/c gimme = function(n,c) game.local_player.insert{name=n, count=c} end

Usage:
/c gimme("iron-plate", 100)
You'll have to re-enter the command every time you load a save (I think) -- it may be possible to add it as a mod so it's always available but I really don't know.

Also of note is:

code:
/c game.local_player.remove_item{<same arguments as insert>}
in case you want to undo an insert or dispose of trash.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Solumin posted:

You'll have to re-enter the command every time you load a save (I think) -- it may be possible to add it as a mod so it's always available but I really don't know.

Yes, and no.

Each mod, and the console, takes place in its own Lua context, so are inaccessible to each other. Factorio provides the "remote" interface to cross these boundaries, but it would be clunky and involve more typing, defeating the purpose.

code:
remote.call("convenience-for-less-typing-mod","gimme","iron-plate",300)
I did write a mod for self-use a while back that involved things like

code:
remote.call("lorensmod","gimme","raw")
remote.call("lorensmod","gimme","power")
remote.call("lorensmod","gimme","oil")
as shortcuts to bundles of resources I often used when testing stuff, because at that point it seemed worth it.

That was way back in 0.10.x though. These days I just write appropriate testing freebies into the player created event of whatever mod I'm testing - and then sometimes forget to remove it, like the idiot I am.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That sounds like a good and sane approach to allowing arbitrary mods, to be honest. It's much, much safer to let them exist in independent Lua contexts.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Oh god I can't stop playing Factorio. The main problem I'm having is my factory is curling in on itself and getting...untidy. Is there any way to remove lots of structures quickly so I can re-organize?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Travic posted:

Oh god I can't stop playing Factorio. The main problem I'm having is my factory is curling in on itself and getting...untidy. Is there any way to remove lots of structures quickly so I can re-organize?

Yes. Get powered armor with portable roboports, and run amok with construction robots, deconstructing everything. You'll need to make a lot of boxes to put everything in first, mind you.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
PROTIP: If you never build any logistic bots, then your character logistic trash slots act as free extra storage.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I get bots just because I feel lonely sometimes. ALso they make neat sounds.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Yes. Get powered armor with portable roboports, and run amok with construction robots, deconstructing everything. You'll need to make a lot of boxes to put everything in first, mind you.

Or just place roboports nearby, which has the added advantage of depositing the stuff right into your logistics network. But yeah, deconstruction blueprints are the solution. Works great for deforestation, too.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

I get bots just because I feel lonely sometimes. ALso they make neat sounds.

They make the cutest noises!! :kimchi: I love my little robots.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

I just blow the trees away with a shotgun. gently caress you, nature.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I use a flamethrower just to have a use for the 'thrower

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Just got into this recently, pretty fun. Dunno if anyone linked it already but this guy has a nice tutorial series of videos covering topics up to oil/blue science, robotics, and trains link

And for your amusement I present my first attempt at setting up green science production (before watching his video on it)... enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Cool thanks.