Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

''How dare you drive a baby wild with desire!''

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ravenkult posted:

''How dare you drive a baby wild with desire!''

It was Mrs. Doubtfire!

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"Hey Michael Caine, you got a saddle for that high horse you've been riding on?"

"My defense is that I'm blaming it on Rio."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think the popularity of Blame It On Rio is a truly insane movie with a lot of incident, a lot of trivia, but most importantly, a long running impression that goes back to like the first 10 episodes (look out ya silly cow!).

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

ravenkult posted:

I don't get the love for Pippi, myself. It's a ridiculous movie but it's so surreal on its own that you can't really make jokes about it.

Its the wild scenarios they imagine going on behind the scenes and off camera.

Which brings me to the episode I just listened to on a flight last night. The Carebears 2 movie. Funny rear end poo poo with the David Koresh and branch davidians references.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's the horse.

"You'll get the chair, Pippi! THE CHAIR! *horse noises*"

I'm usually pretty wary of people pointing out that goofy, surreal childrens entertainment makes no sense in the real world but something about them having Pippi be some unhinged gun-toting psychopath with a death wish just clicks for me. Especially since it's almost entirely stuff that's supported by the source material.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Sleeveless posted:

...them having Pippi be some unhinged gun-toting psychopath with a death wish...

They only partly made that up.

For me it's how they fume about what an insufferable poo poo Pippi is. The writers were trying to make her a free spirit, but the filmmaking undercuts that by having all the other characters be nice and reasonable so there's nothing for Pippi to rebel against and she just runs amok like a chimp through their lives in a way that would cause lasting damage in the real world.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I dunno the constant 'but what about school!' made them sound a bit square.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Count Chocula posted:

I dunno the constant 'but what about school!' made them sound a bit square.

The orphans need an education to raise themselves out of poverty! The teacher is looking out for them! Why is Pippi trying to destroy their future??

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I'm at my parents' for spring break so I have cable for a change and The Pallbearer is on tv and wow they were understating both the morose indy film piano score and Dave Schwimmer's awful haircut.
Interesting that the title in Spanish translates into "My Unknown Friend"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Calaveron posted:

So I'm at my parents' for spring break so I have cable for a change and The Pallbearer is on tv and wow they were understating both the morose indy film piano score and Dave Schwimmer's awful haircut.
Interesting that the title in Spanish translates into "My Unknown Friend"

Is that unknown friend cloudy?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Cloudy is very well-known, pal.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also I think the guys missed the point a bit about the way the movie presents Schwimmer's character as an rear end in a top hat loser, since that was the entire point. He insisted he was an adult but his room was full of toys. He complains about his mom barging into his room because he's 25 years old but is having a giggly sleepover with a friend and asks her to make them chocolate milk.
Don't get me wrong Tom is super unappealing but that was the entire point

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bobkatt013 posted:

Cloudy With A Chance Of Schwimmer

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Calaveron posted:

Also I think the guys missed the point a bit about the way the movie presents Schwimmer's character as an rear end in a top hat loser, since that was the entire point. He insisted he was an adult but his room was full of toys. He complains about his mom barging into his room because he's 25 years old but is having a giggly sleepover with a friend and asks her to make them chocolate milk.

Wait adults aren't supposed to have rooms full of toys? What about ironic or artsy toys?
WHM do seem to miss the point of movies or characters way more than the Flop House, but I've got used to it, and they're way better than How Did It Get Made, or at least the two episodes I could stand.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I haven't seen it but from the episode I got the feeling we weren't supposed to outright loathe him though. Like, we were supposed to think he was endearing in his loserness, and he'll be ok eventually, if only he can get that girl he obsesses over. And then at the end he just has a career and he's grown up, but do we actually see him grow up? I get irritated when characters' problems are solved off screen because that's the interesting part of the story. The whole movie should be about how he stops being a whiny loser and gets a life, imo. But it's also a lot harder to write.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Count Chocula posted:

Wait adults aren't supposed to have rooms full of toys?

Only ones who review movies online are allowed to.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also if you keep them ordered and neat in a small display shelf in the living room of the apartment or home you pay for.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I don't know what happend to The Flophouse, but it's unlistable at this point. It's just really bad jokes with no connection to the movie.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Croisquessein posted:

They only partly made that up.

For me it's how they fume about what an insufferable poo poo Pippi is. The writers were trying to make her a free spirit, but the filmmaking undercuts that by having all the other characters be nice and reasonable so there's nothing for Pippi to rebel against and she just runs amok like a chimp through their lives in a way that would cause lasting damage in the real world.
I loved Steve talking about the father of the kids being justifiably outraged/smug toward the mother after their children are kidnapped just killed me. "Oh where's that Pippi? Why don't you have her over or-- oh wait, she stole our children!"

Also, "The next morning Pippi has five stars in Grand Theft Auto."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

painynumbs posted:

I loved Steve talking about the father of the kids being justifiably outraged/smug toward the mother after their children are kidnapped just killed me. "Oh where's that Pippi? Why don't you have her over or-- oh wait, she stole our children!"

Also, "The next morning Pippi has five stars in Grand Theft Auto."

Also enjoyed how she returns in never say never again

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ravenkult posted:

I don't know what happend to The Flophouse, but it's unlistable at this point. It's just really bad jokes with no connection to the movie.

It's been like that for at least 3-4 years.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

ravenkult posted:

Think of it as a comedy podcast from 2 Daily Show writers and a goony buddy that just happens to use movies as a structure (tho they do know their poo poo). I dunno why there hasn't been a crossover - the Flop House fans always rep WHM, that's how I got into them.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

JT Smiley posted:

gently caress! The tickets to the Chicago show are already sold out, son of a bitch.

For some reason they're booked in the cabaret theater at Stage 773, which has roughly the capacity of a 4-door sedan.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

1. Abraxas
2. Addicted to Love
3. Mrs. Doubtfire
4. Tuff Turf

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

1. Friday the 13th Jason Lives
2. Chud 2
3. Blame it on Rio
4. white noise

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Everyone in this thread is a Noted Beaver Enthusiast and member of The Beaver Patrol.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Everyone in this thread is a Noted Beaver Enthusiast and member of The Beaver Patrol.

We all have patches with a sunglasses wearing beaver

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I'm not sure what my favorites are, but I've listened to all of these (among others) many, many, maaaany times cause they're such great comfort audio:

Gymkata
The Phantom Menace
Volcano
The Core
Hard Target
Mortal Kombat
Under Siege 2
Double Dragon
Moontrap
Red Heat

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bobkatt013 posted:

We all have patches with a sunglasses wearing beaver
https://twitter.com/BrianSchlosser/status/709817434535018496

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1. Hider in the House
2. Anything with Brimley
3. Anything with Caine

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
They were on fire this week.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Might have to switch one of those out of my top 3 to put Cyber Seduction in there.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Yes, this was definitely a great episode. Everything about Andrew's seething hatred of pranksters (impractical or otherwise), "You'd break bread with the Beaver Patrol?" and the old timey Oscars phone calls were amazing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I didn't know that pranksters were a real thing, I thought that they were just a convenient writing crutch like rude French waiters or free periods in high school.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is it too late to request space vampire.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Sleeveless posted:

I didn't know that pranksters were a real thing, I thought that they were just a convenient writing crutch like rude French waiters or free periods in high school.

We had free periods in my high school. I also knew a prolific prankster who would always turn our church mission trips into shaving cream and saran wrap-covered chaos.

My favorites are probably Mortal Kombat, Abraxas, and Brainscan.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Man there are so many loving "nah bro you can't get mad it's just a prank bro" assholes on Youtube it's utterly baffling. It's a cancer slightly less malignant than loving reaction videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Abraxas, Mortal Kombat, Hard Target for me. Hider in the House is another one. Also really like Stay Tuned. The impressions really crack me up... honestly The Shadow might be in 5th place, I have to give it another listen. Although I've listened to quite a few more than once or twice. They can go so far off topic it might be better to remember the bits than them on the movies.