Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

6 year extension for Rebecca Lowe with NBCSN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Erin Andrews: ESPN Forced Me To Go On TV And Talk About My Stalker

quote:

Q: So did ESPN require that you give an interview?

Yes. Because there wasn’t an arrest, because we didn’t know where this happened, my bosses at ESPN told me, “before you go back on air for college football we need you to give a sit-down interview.” And that was the only way I was going to be allowed back.

Q: Now, you did have the right to select who that interview would be done by, right?

I did. They were highly recommending it be GMA [Good Morning America], because ESPN and ABC are the same, and they wanted it on GMA. But like my dad had said the other day, I didn’t want it to be a two second thing where it’s like, “Was this a scandal, or, was it not?” No, this is my life, and I feel terrible about myself, and we want to figure out how this happened. So, I didn’t want to do it, I didn’t want to be a part of it, and I just said, you know what, “I know because she’s very public about it, Oprah is a crime victim.” I talked to her producers, I told her I didn’t want to do it. But this was the only way I was going to be put back on air, so we went to the Oprah show.

We went, I wanted nothing to do with it. I was in the office, or her green room, and I was sitting there and I was just bawling at my parents. “It’s Oprah Winfrey, how do you not want to see her?” And I was just freaking out, and I just said “I don’t want to do this, I don’t want to do this. I just want to go back to college football. I don’t want to talk about what happened to me, why can’t I just be normal? Like, why can’t I go back?”

http://deadspin.com/erin-andrews-espn-forced-me-to-go-on-tv-and-talk-about-1762058985

The worst corporate culture.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

AsInHowe posted:

http://deadspin.com/erin-andrews-espn-forced-me-to-go-on-tv-and-talk-about-1762058985

The replies to Deadspin's tweet for this story are basically as low as the internet can sink

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

The replies to Deadspin's tweet for this story are basically as low as the internet can sink

I took a look and found the tweets to be remarkably tame next to the rape/murder threats I was expecting. Still, gently caress those people.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
FS1 continues its race to the bottom:

quote:

SI.com has learned that Fox Sports 1 will cut a number of features and news producers from its network over the next few weeks, another blow for those viewers hoping to see the network compete with ESPN in the areas of journalism, reporting and storytelling. Fox Sports is also expected to see a significant number of veteran employees leave via buyout over the next two months. Some of the departures will start as early as Tuesday. Morale at Fox Sports' L.A. office, is very low, according to staffers. A Fox Sports spokesperson declined comment on the loss of production talent.

Can't wait for the Hot Take Network to get, like, 20 more viewers than before.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry, Goon who works for FoxSports :(

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If hiring Regis wasn't enough to get FS1 rolling, then I'm not sure what else they could have done

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FS1 was always doomed to fail. Rupert Murdoch's ego puts Donald Trump's to shame.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I still will never understand how FS1 was supposed to compete in an era where ESPN was already starting to decline

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Benne posted:

FS1 continues its race to the bottom:

Can't wait for the Hot Take Network to get, like, 20 more viewers than before.

It'll get less viewers because even ESPN does cool stuff every now and then that isn't just hot take horseshit.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still will never understand how FS1 was supposed to compete in an era where ESPN was already starting to decline

It's like all the people that tried to make World Of Warcraft after it had already peaked or whatever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Not that I ever feel any remorse for Craig James, but they did the same thing to him when his son got stuck in that garage by Mike Leach. He was somewhere preparing to call a football game the next day and they refused to let him call the game if he didn't do an interview on air about the allegations first.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

CBS deserved this rating

https://twitter.com/AustinKarp/status/709404557177188352

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Don't worry, within a few years they'll turn it into a three-day event like the NFL did with the draft.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Timby posted:

Don't worry, within a few years they'll turn it into a three-day event like the NFL did with the draft.
Make it four - one hour a day for each region.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Was it actually that bad?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ramadu posted:

It really was. There was a five minute segment of Barkley fumbling with a touch screen as he more or less explained that he doesn't watch college basketball, and he picked the higher seed in every single game. In the time it took to get through that, we historically would've been on to the third region. This was the entire segment after the first region was revealed.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ramadu posted:

You really don't need to spend two hours revealing who's playing who in a 68-team tournament. Remember that maybe just a bit more than ten years ago CBS was able to reveal the bracket in half an hour, no problem.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ramadu posted:

20-year low ratings are impossible to spin good. CBS took a huge gamble expanding a show they're usually bullet-proof on, and everything that could go wrong did go wrong. They spent way too long revealing the brackets, people tuned out with frustration and the bracket leaking early was the final kiss of death.

If you're afraid this will turn into an NFL Draft-esque marathon, I have this to say -- people actually watch the primetime draft. The ratings justify its drawn-out nonsense, so they'll keep doing it.

The 2-hour Selection Show was an unmitigated disaster and had record-low ratings. There's no way this experiment will last longer than a year.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

It really was. There was a five minute segment of Barkley fumbling with a touch screen as he more or less explained that he doesn't watch college basketball, and he picked the higher seed in every single game. In the time it took to get through that, we historically would've been on to the third region. This was the entire segment after the first region was revealed.

I didn't watch it but someone told me they went 30 minutes between showing regions or something like that, which is hilarious and terrible.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Akileese posted:

I didn't watch it but someone told me they went 30 minutes between showing regions or something like that, which is hilarious and terrible.

They were 50 minutes in when the bracket leaked and there were still two regions to go.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That bracket leak was the most perfect middle finger to that whole thing.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The ratings for the NFL Draft and the Pro Bowl are intervention-level troubling

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The ratings for the NFL Draft and the Pro Bowl are intervention-level troubling

The draft definitely. The Pro Bowl probably has less interest than the Senior Bowl and the drat combine. That's why it's one of the only things the NFL keeps loving with - moved to before the Super Bowl, changing locations, all that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The dude who leaked the bracket and then immediately deleted his account the next day was a hero

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Badfinger posted:

The draft definitely. The Pro Bowl probably has less interest than the Senior Bowl and the drat combine. That's why it's one of the only things the NFL keeps loving with - moved to before the Super Bowl, changing locations, all that.

The Pro Bowl gets better ratings than the goddamn World Series.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Pro Bowl gets better ratings than the goddamn World Series.

But worse than the MLB all star game.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Charles vs. Technology while Ernie/Kenny/Shaq taunt him should be an hour show by itself.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The way Fox Sports has handled things the past few years has really just been a really big clusterfuck. What we see now with ratings declines at ESPN were going to be sort of obvious with Fox Sports as well given the amount of people willing to cut the cord and so on. The Thing that can drive ratings for other programming is live sports. Live sports is a weird thing where most people, myself included, do find it weird to watch DVR'd or non live sports things. It feels weird, which is why sports fans continue to pay for stupid big cable subscriptions so they can have ESPN. Sportscenter can still get good ratings because their lead ins are NBA games and marquee sporting events. Fox has a few things going for it but not much. Challenging ESPN was dumb, because its like ADIDAS challenging Nike. Nike owns 90 percent of the market, so just play to your strengths and at least own the fringes.

It never made since to me that even though Fox has an incredibly good partnership with UFC they don't do more with it? Why not have more UFC Centric programming? Also, when they brought Jay and Dan, why not give them a once a week hockey show? NHL rights are the cheapest around and Jay and Dan love hockey. It was obvious when we'd feed down highlights they often could not give two shits about a random basketball highlight but would definitely be more into the NHL stuff. On top of that, the reason Jay and Dan were "funny" is the same way we found the classic era of ESPN sportscenter anchors funny. It's because they were good at their base job, but given just enough freedom to have personalities and put spins on things. Fox Sports Live internally near the end was just spinning out ideas that were half baked and forcing people to "find the funny" which often meant, "FORCE THIS SPORTS HIGHLIGHT WITH NO INHERENT COMEDY FACTOR TO BE FUNNY." Or in other words, force people to work too hard to be sort of creative for a 45 second highlight.

The latest move to hot-take central is a stupid and shortsighted move. Colin Cowherd's ratings are awful and I'm still not clear who this is for. It airs midday on the east coast and it misses the drive time slot for the west coast. Cowherd's show of course is one of the few that basically didn't have any layoffs that I'm aware of. With Whitlock show coming its going to be even more insufferable. I know they gutted the news room staff, fired a bunch of graphics people, random support people, and they also cut the highlights department in half. Not to mention, and this is perhaps by design, the people who are left are all in a very negative mood and are all trying to get the hell out of there anyways. Also to fill time after Cowherd they play the worst loving thing, 'The Best Thing I Herd' which is basically a highlights show Cowherd's own loving show. Its so stupid. Having a radio show on TV is stupid. It can work sometimes, but really they should have modeled it much more after Sportsnation. Look, I don't like that show but at least it "gets it." More reliance on video, funny internet poo poo, it's bright and visually appealing. I feel bad for Kristine Leahy who by all accounts is a loving pro and extremely nice who has to do that lovely show.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 18, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
FS1 really should've taken a page from NBCSN. NBCSN is never, ever going to touch ESPN, but they were smart enough to know that and wisely went after the niches, becoming the go-to home of NHL, Premier League and Formula 1. The ratings aren't big, but they make up for it with solid, respected coverage of the sports they do own.

FS1 had a chance to do that, since they're the only game in town for UFC and expanded their soccer coverage. But instead, they started off as a weird Diet ESPN, complete with knockoff pundit shows ("ESPN has NFL Live, so we must have FOX NFL Daily") and the now-infamous attempt to go head-to-head with College GameDay. They never found a real identity, and once they did that identity became "gently caress it, let's hire ESPN's professional trolls." But those trolls don't even lead to bigger ratings, so now the channel has become a punchline.

If they didn't have important soccer stuff (Champions League, Women's World Cup, Bundesliga, Euro 2016) I would never have a reason to watch FS1. Even still, I barely have a reason to watch -- once the soccer stuff is over I switch away as fast as possible.

It's a shame because I love a lot of FS1's individual talent. Katie Nolan is great, Jay and Dan are still good, Rob Stone has evolved into a great studio anchor for soccer and, hell, I kinda like Alexi Lalas even though I probably shouldn't. They're just trapped in the vortex of hot takes right now.

Benne fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 18, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm with Benne on this. NBCSN has done a hell of a job with the Premier League and NHL. FS1 seems stuck in no-man's land right now, and it's a shame given the talent they have available.

I could give a poo poo less about the UFC but yeah if that's your trump card you might as well go all-in on it. I don't know who owns the specific rights to what though, between Fox, UFC and... is Zuffa still a thing? They seemed to have their name attached to Ultimate Fighter and some of the free PPV events.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The problem is the "good" cards are ties up on fox and they only get c tier cards on fox sports (and prelims).

Afaik they are paying a lot and so those big cards they dont want to waste on FS1 so they hype them on football and put them on fox proper.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The other thing that is insane to me is that they have never leveraged the fact that they're in LA. Thousands of hungry talented young people who are smart and funny out here. Go hot take central but make it a youth movement. You can get a ton of inexpensive highly creative people who can do it all. I.E. Edit produce write and appear in front of camera.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

soggybagel posted:

The other thing that is insane to me is that they have never leveraged the fact that they're in LA. Thousands of hungry talented young people who are smart and funny out here. Go hot take central but make it a youth movement. You can get a ton of inexpensive highly creative people who can do it all. I.E. Edit produce write and appear in front of camera.

Basically try and find another few Katie Nolan types, churning out shows on a shoestring budget? I'm down, not everybody will be as fun as her, but certainly would be better than trying the imitation approach.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It's stupid the money we are paying for Whitlock and cowherd. No one is like "it's 2pm?! Turn it to channel 755...WHITLOCK IS ON!!!"

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
FS1 couldn't do an NHL show because they don't have the rights. NBC has those and the regional rights don't extend to a parent national network, or however those contracts work.

Besides, it's not like the NHL's ratings are good enough to drive a show that's not immediately attached to a game broadcast, much less an independent show that has far less access to video/talent.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

DJExile posted:

I'm with Benne on this. NBCSN has done a hell of a job with the Premier League and NHL. FS1 seems stuck in no-man's land right now, and it's a shame given the talent they have available.

I could give a poo poo less about the UFC but yeah if that's your trump card you might as well go all-in on it. I don't know who owns the specific rights to what though, between Fox, UFC and... is Zuffa still a thing? They seemed to have their name attached to Ultimate Fighter and some of the free PPV events.

Zuffa is just the parent company of UFC

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

C. Everett Koop posted:

FS1 couldn't do an NHL show because they don't have the rights. NBC has those and the regional rights don't extend to a parent national network, or however those contracts work.

Besides, it's not like the NHL's ratings are good enough to drive a show that's not immediately attached to a game broadcast, much less an independent show that has far less access to video/talent.

They could build a show around highlights and analysis specifically focused on the NHL. I'm not even saying broadcast an NHL game on FS1. I realize NHL isn't a big ratings machine but again, I think they should try to own the fringes.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

soggybagel posted:

They could build a show around highlights and analysis specifically focused on the NHL. I'm not even saying broadcast an NHL game on FS1. I realize NHL isn't a big ratings machine but again, I think they should try to own the fringes.

One of the issues around that is if you don't have the rights, it limits the amount of highlights you can use. Last I recall it's only like around 5 minutes per :30/:60, but that was however many contracts ago. It was the reason why ESPN shut down NHL2Nite once they lost the NHL contract. There's also the matter that if you're not their media partner or going to give you worthwhile exposure, teams/players aren't going to go out of their way to give you access for interviews or the like.

So now you have a :30 show that's limited in footage it can use and in exclusive interviews/content it can claim, so it comes down to talking heads about a sport that's not terribly popular. You wouldn't make enough in sales to pay the camera operators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Pretty sure Fox's contract is pretty much free reign on NHL stuff. It's why fox sports still publishes NHL highlights to its website. Plus as of a couple months ago when we had a highlight show NHL was the only one without any airing restrictions. We could do partials, in game updates, the whole thing. I agree with you completely given time restrictions and rights things if they're there. However I was under impression fox had pretty much all access.