Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Sphinxster posted:

Well, somebody had to be the first one ever.

Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Seltzer posted:

Do they go away quick? It's gonna be a pain explaining that I don't have a disease all tomorrow.

Yeah, they go away pretty quick. Maybe a couple days or so.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My drunken discussions with coaches at some bars near the D-III championships tonight have turned me in to a temporary Elmhurst fan. Go a god drat Blue Jay.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The bars are full of guys who have been eliminated and I want to buy them all beers and tell them it's gonna be okay. They can start doing Judo or BJJ instead and still be happy.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I plunked down the :5bux: for a 10th planet subscription, after years of avoiding just because i thought sifting through the non-technique bits would be too painful. Must say I've been very pleasantly surprised, I'd definitely recommend it to any no-gi enthusiasts looking for some good content.

Thoguh posted:

The bars are full of guys who have been eliminated and I want to buy them all beers and tell them it's gonna be okay. They can start doing Judo or BJJ instead and still be happy.

hahaha

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Seltzer posted:

Ok this explanation makes sense. It's worse on my right arm which I was using a lot more. I was wondering how I could get bruises like this from say just being driven into the ground.

I get them all the time on my shins from people's toes

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is like the fitness equivalent of body dysmorphia

Just do both divisions, you'll have plenty of time to rest. Grappling tournaments don't exactly run like clockwork. And if you do get tired, so what. You'll still walk away with twice as much competition experience than you would have if you only did one, and experience is a billion times more important for you at this point than winning.

Well crap ok.

I hate you all for making me do both divisions!! :argh:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
D-II and D-III wrestling finals are at 8PM eastern. NCAA is streaming them for free (http://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule). My boys from Elmhurst have done well today. 5th place at 149 (with a tech fall in the 5th place match after losing in overtime in the consolation semifinals) and in the finals at 141. Blue Jays tearing it up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Uh oh, my boy Nehls from Elmhurst at 141 is down 1-3 going in to the third period. Gonna need a quick escape and takedown to win this thing.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
He's out, 3-2. But the guy from Luther has riding time locked up so a takedown just forces OT.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
drat it, got in deep and almost got the TD with 10 seconds left but he stumbled and ended up on his back. Anrooy from Luther won it 10-2

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Could anyone recommend a blog post, thread, advice, etc on what to do, bring, eat, etc for your first bjj tourney?

Also for tourneys, how do you guys typically warm-up?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If possible, do the warmup you do for class - it's the thing you're most used to doing immediately before rolling. Most of tournament prep is getting your mind right, so doing the things you're used to doing before rolling is generally going to be your best bet.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, this blog post is really about your first fencing tournament, but I'd wager a lot of it applies to BJJ as well.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alfalfa posted:

Could anyone recommend a blog post, thread, advice, etc on what to do, bring, eat, etc for your first bjj tourney?

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/the-white-belt-guide-to-prepping-for-your-first-tournament/

This article is pretty good, skip down to the "Tournament Day" subheading just ignore the things he says about/relating to cutting weight.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alfalfa posted:

Carbs carbs carbs. I'll eat something like oatmeal + fruit for breakfast, and bring a big bag of pretzels, gatorade, and a powerbar or two with me to the tournament.

For warmups, just do your normal warmup of jogging/forward and back rolls/stretching and then flow roll or pummel with a teammate on the sidelines before your division starts.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Bring a roll of toilet paper in your bag because bathrooms always get wrecked.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Also, eat spinach from a can without utensils and you'll be unstoppable.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Please record your matches and share with us.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Broke my pinky. Was going to compete at Pan Ams. This sucks.

Edit: holy poo poo docs say it's only a dislocation. Holy poo poo dreams not crushed! Haha

IT BEGINS fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 15, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

origami posted:

A true protip.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

origami posted:

Just don't wipe, and then aggressively work for north-south during your matches.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Jits last night was really fun. I even got to be An Enforcer!

I showed up for advanced class as basics was wrapping up, and a regular pointed out a tall blonde dude from a different school who was going too hard and clearly has something to prove. Also suggested if I give him some extra shoulder pressure nobody would mind. Went through advanced class drills and didn't get partnered with him, but when it was time to roll big surprise he wants to tear my head off.

We are doing side mount stuff so I started with him side mounting me and right away he just gable gripping my head and arm as hard as he can, like its some kind of sub, while trying to smash his shoulder into me. Good news his hips are pretty high so I rolled him over me, but thats when he really started spazzing and some kind of scramble happened (This guy is definitely bigger and stronger than me) and I end up turtled. I'm blocking his hooks OK - he cant get anything in, so he goes for a choke, but I have my chin down and both arms blocking in front. And yet he still locks it up and tries to crank away. I'm just sorta baffled by this and let him burn out his arms. Eventually clear his arm over my head -> turn into him and grab single leg -> pass into side mount. Then scarf hold him for awhile. He tries to rock back and forth to recover his near side elbow, but ends up giving his back and I end up choking him.

After this he is very exhausted and seems less aggressive for the rest of rolling. I talked to him later and he didn't seem like he had a chip on his shoulder at all, and even complimented me. I suspect his school is one of the ones where you roll a lot starting from day one, and he may have developed some bad habits using a lot of strength.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

From reading about these types of situations, is it truly so hard for people to say, "Hey man, you're visiting our school and we're all here to learn and have a good time, this isn't for the world title, relax"?

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Neon Belly posted:

From reading about these types of situations, is it truly so hard for people to say, "Hey man, you're visiting our school and we're all here to learn and have a good time, this isn't for the world title, relax"?

I Enforced the poo poo out of him, don't ruin this for me!!!

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Neon Belly posted:

Please record your matches and share with us.

I definitely will.

We can all enjoy me spazzing around for 5 or 6 minutes with some big dude laying on top of me.

Sounds like good times. :)

origami posted:

How have I never thought about this before for any of my previous CrossFit, strongman, or powerlifting competitions.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

I definitely will.

We can all enjoy me spazzing around for 5 or 6 minutes with some big dude laying on top of me.

Sounds like good times. :)

Are you doing Masters 1 Super Heavy? If so I'm somewhat glad I skipped Pan Ams

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

:colbert:

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

I'm competing at the beginning of April and I suffered a partial MCL tear about a week ago trying to spin out of a position. The doctor says 4 to 6 weeks, but I'm pretty much going to compete barring something catastrophic (this will be close to 4 weeks around tournament time). Obviously, rolling and wrestling right now is out of the question and honestly even drilling technique in the non-competition practice might not be the best idea at this moment. I was thinking of doing interval sets on the bike and elliptical along with some body weight exercises that are safe on my knees to stay in decent shape. And, I would like get a week of practice in before the tournament. Any thoughts or stories related to grappling and competing (or deciding not to compete) with injuries would be appreciated. Also any advice on how to best stay in shape while I'm off the mats would be good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

I'm competing at the beginning of April and I suffered a partial MCL tear about a week ago trying to spin out of a position. The doctor says 4 to 6 weeks, but I'm pretty much going to compete barring something catastrophic (this will be close to 4 weeks around tournament time). Obviously, rolling and wrestling right now is out of the question and honestly even drilling technique in the non-competition practice might not be the best idea at this moment. I was thinking of doing interval sets on the bike and elliptical along with some body weight exercises that are safe on my knees to stay in decent shape. And, I would like get a week of practice in before the tournament. Any thoughts or stories related to grappling and competing (or deciding not to compete) with injuries would be appreciated. Also any advice on how to best stay in shape while I'm off the mats would be good.

Here's a thought: don't compete injured, especially after taking a month off from training

and double especially when knee ligaments are involved

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Professional fighters turn down title fights when they are injured. I don't see any reason why you should do differently. I would go with your doctor's advice and continue to happily grapple into old age.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

We had someone injure their knee in class, believed it to be a sprain. Stayed out for a couple weeks (like 4) to let things heal up. First night back they did a cart wheel during warm ups and managed to tear both MCL and ACL if I recall correctly. Had to have knee surgery and went through several weeks of physical therapy and has not been back to class since. My advice is don't mess with knee injuries but I'm overly cautious.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

You should not be an idiot and listen to your doctor.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

I also think you shouldn't follow through with this awful idea.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mr. Pool posted:

I Enforced the poo poo out of him, don't ruin this for me!!!

You have a lot to learn about enforcing, my child

1. Pin him in side control until he is almost ready to tap from pressure, then when he completely gives up, transition to another position. Act bored, as if you were trying to give him a chance to work his escapes but he disappointed you.
2. Stare blankly at him while he fumblingly attempts to footlock you, as if you're watching some kind of curious animal behaviour that you don't understand.
3. Stifle a fake (or better yet, real) yawn while you have him mounted.
4. Ride around on his back forever, whistling quietly into his ear, while making no attempt to finish him.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Interesting interview with my no gi coach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ffCW4joaU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
"my no gi coach"

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

"my no gi coach"

Aka some bald dude in NY

e: "Combat w Benefits" -- hell yes

e2: drat, watch this is you want to feel like a more highly evolved human being for doing BJJ. I love you Danaher.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 16, 2016

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You have a lot to learn about enforcing, my child

1. Pin him in side control until he is almost ready to tap from pressure, then when he completely gives up, transition to another position. Act bored, as if you were trying to give him a chance to work his escapes but he disappointed you.
2. Stare blankly at him while he fumblingly attempts to footlock you, as if you're watching some kind of curious animal behaviour that you don't understand.
3. Stifle a fake (or better yet, real) yawn while you have him mounted.
4. Ride around on his back forever, whistling quietly into his ear, while making no attempt to finish him.

I like it!!!! MORE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Alright so I've been doing a decent amount of no-gi on top of gi stuff because that's how my schedule shakes out. I assume if I plan to do no regularly I should switch to rashguard and not be t poo poo and gi pants guy? Also with all the washing I'm debating getting a second gi now.... I can see how despite me paying a relatively low gym fee this sport can easily get you to start spending more money than you thought. Questions on a second gi, I was thinking about a colored one to go with the white one I received but does a colored gi at white belt make you "that guy". Are there acceptable/non-acceptable colors. Lastly any recs where to buy cheap/still good rash guards and gis? Oh and what are the no gi shorts technically called. I assume you can't get away with board shorts and a no gi top.... or can you?