Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Goobs posted:

I hate Stolen Valor.

I'm usually indifferent to it because of the whole mental illness thing. There's a guy I knew who dressed up like Napoleon and went around talking about waterloo all the time (he eventually committed suicide), I don't think anybody got mad about that because he was obviously mentally ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

There's literally no end to this poo poo. I need a break.

Stolen valor sucks, but you gotta make a distinction between the dude that's doing it for free hot dogs and the guy that legitimately thinks he fought in the First Moon War or whatever.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TTerrible posted:

It looks like Sarspariller has had a username change or something.

I misspelled their username. It's actually "Sarsapariller".

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

:eyepop:

this is ground-breaking levels of sadness

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

D1E posted:

While dressing completely inappropriately for an office environment and stuffing their (I say "their" and not "her" because there are plenty of guys in their sixties who are better looking than Sandi; this is an open casting call) face nonstop while blinking rapidly.

Reverse a hearse (right over your loving head) is filmed in front of a live studio audience mental asylum.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Stolen valor sucks, but you gotta make a distinction between the dude that's doing it for free hot dogs and the guy that legitimately thinks he fought in the First Moon War or whatever.

Link us to this treasure trove pls.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

He looks significantly thinner than the sex doll bunny guy. Either he really let himself go once he discovered fora pleasure bots or there are multiple bunny guys

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Berious posted:

He looks significantly thinner than the sex doll bunny guy. Either he really let himself go once he discovered fora pleasure bots or there are multiple bunny guys

Remember the cockroach rule-of-thumb: where there's one, there's more.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mirificus posted:

I misspelled their username. It's actually "Sarsapariller".

Ahh right, I was just going to do a quick search and see if they'd bailed on this thread or SA In general. It seems to be the latter.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

KiddieGrinder posted:

What? Is there more to this? I'd love to read about it.

I had apparently remembered the rank wrong. Google Master Sergeant Soup Sandwich and you'll find pictures of him and a milblog raking him over the coals. Bernath is the guy that had Shipley show up and call him out on his poo poo.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
This one is one of the classic SV videos, makes me laugh every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOj07ClhEi8

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I've made a youtube music playlist of songs that relate to Star citizen and all its ham-handed glory : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

link isn't working, gently caress it, ignore.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 14, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Berious posted:

As best as I can tell that was pre-Sex Doll Bunny. This is his current iteration, (from PAX I think?)

spacetoaster posted:

Link us to this treasure trove pls.

I don't wanna post the whole thing because he's not super careful about where he posts like his name and poo poo, but I'll copy all the pictures over to an imgur album as soon as I get a chance.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Posting this so you guys will have something to sing/dance to in the shower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toxh4i3ZEqQ

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

But I DID FIGHT IN THE FIRST MOON WAR! WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT VETERANCY!

Also, while researching Rob Irving's CV, I tripped over this.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13064-Meet-Ben-Lesnick

If I were Ben, I would retroactively update the profile so people wouldn't be able to remember what he looked like. He also even was without glasses!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Goobs posted:

wow.. I never new this was an actual thing

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Goobs posted:

Aside from Soup Sandwich, this guy who claimed to be SF and a Vampire, or the guy that photoshopped a Splinter Cell image for his Shovel Combat training while claiming to be a retired Ranger are probably my favorites. Video's drat good though.

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 14, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i fought in the intense console wars on the side of the Nintendo Wii

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i lost my dignity and a leg (from a bloodclot since I didn't ever get up out of my chair)

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Toops posted:

:eyepop:

this is ground-breaking levels of sadness

It reminds me of the guy on RSI site who was giving his disability cheques to roberts. And of course the one who told him a hot tub and connie would cure his blues.
There aint no cure for that - Leonard Cohen.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/322297/a/p1

quote:

COMMUNITY MANAGERS LOG. 2016. Week 11. These things are all the same. It's supposed to be a week like any other, but something feels... different, somehow...

The Free Fly for all available ships is going on now. That's very different, but we started that last week. Someone forgot to include the Cutlass in the list. It'd be funny if that were done on purpose, but unfortunately it was just an oversight. That's what we get for having so many ships, I guess. I feel like there's something else ship related happening this week, though. The Prowler? Nope, just checked: it won't be ready anytime soon. Something else, then...

There's a 10 for the Chairman on Monday. Chris is in the UK for Squadron 42 work, so he filmed this before he left. I'm sure it's good. It's always good to hear directly from the Chairman himself, but that can't be what feels different.

Tuesday is the Vault Update. We used to do the Jump Point reruns on these days, but the writers put their lore posts out on Tuesdays and we thought we'd switch to Wednesdays a few weeks ago, spread the lore out a bit. That change already happened. That can't be what this is...

Wednesday is that Jump Point rerun, and it's a Bugsmashers week. I like Mark, but he's certainly weird enough to make things feel... off. This could be it, but I'm not convinced...

Thursday, Thursday, Thursday. The day that owns my week. It's Around the Verse day. We've got another Loremakers coming this week. It won't be an every week thing. These Loremakers have real jobs to do, but we'll do two up front and pick them up again in another two weeks. We also have an interview with Carl Jones. He's a big muck-a-muck with the company. Here for about 2 days and I grabbed him first thing when I walked in. Pretty standard how I pounce on these guys the minute they show up to get them on ATV. Probably why Tony doesn't make eye contact with me anymore. That can't be what's different about this week. Nobody makes eye contact with me anymore because they know I'm gonna ask them to do something for ATV if they do. Business as usual...

Friday. It must be Friday. Reverse the Verse is on Friday. Yeah, we've changed it up a bit, but it's still the same show with graphics. Changing up that intro every week is a bitch though. Don't know why I said yes to that stupid idea. Probably because it was mine... I really thought the difference this week was going to be ship related... Something new, maybe? Something... concept-y... Something... we probably won't find out about until Friday...

quote:

Monday, March 14th
- [1500 PST / 2300 UTC] 10 for the Chairman: Episode 79 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Tuesday, March 15th
- Vault Update
- Lore Post

Wednesday, March 16th
- [1500 PST / 2300 UTC] BUGSMASHERS! Episode 21 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/
- Jump Point Rerun

Thursday, March 17th
- [1200 PST / 2000 UTC] Around the Verse: Episode 2.23 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Friday, March 18th
- [1100 PST / 1900 UTC] Reverse the Verse: The Community Team's Weekly Livestream - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity
- CONCEPT SALE? Concept Sale.

:pgabz: TIME TO BUY MORE SHIPS, FRIENDS :pgabz:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/321872/bounty-system-unintended-effects

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Goobs posted:

what so these guys presumably buy these uniforms online or whatever and wear them for what? to get free poo poo and pretend to kids they're some kind of hero or are they actual military folk wearing their uniform improperly/at in appropriate times etc?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

his nibs posted:

wow.. I never new this was an actual thing

That guy in the video was obviously stolen valor. What makes me nervous is the guys who go out looking for stolen valor so they can make a public scene and/or youtube video.

There was some old marine who got dogpiled for being "stolen valor". And turns out he was legit all the way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/06/05/the-problem-with-publicly-accusing-someone-of-stolen-valor-what-if-youre-wrong/

quote:

On Memorial Day, Robert D. Ford took part in a wreath-laying ceremony in Pennsylvania. The 75-year-old wore his Marine dress uniform and played a bugle.

But after the ceremony, Ford stopped at a local arts festival. And that is where he apparently drew some unwanted attention.

At the festival, an American soldier, along with a Harrisburg police officer, publicly questioned Ford’s military service,

“He’s not a real Marine!” the officer shouted to the crowd gathered for the PennLive/Patriot-News Artsfest of Greater Harrisburg. “Stolen valor!”

“I was humiliated,” Ford told the newspaper.

Ford is an actual veteran. He really did serve.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Shaping up to be a good week!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

As best as I can tell that was pre-Sex Doll Bunny. This is his current iteration, (from PAX I think?)

I don't wanna post the whole thing because he's not super careful about where he posts like his name and poo poo, but I'll copy all the pictures over to an imgur album as soon as I get a chance.

Is that a wallet chain?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sundowner posted:

are they actual military folk wearing their uniform improperly/at in appropriate times etc?

That's what scares me about it. I've been in 20 freaking years, and in that time the uniforms have changed many times. I bet, right now, you could probably find something out of regulation on a lot of Soldiers just because the regulations and uniforms are changing so much.

Also, you're allowed to wear your dress uniform to appropriate functions (banquets, balls, funerals, ceremonies, etc). And if you're retired you're authorized to wear your dress uniform to stuff until the day you die.

So what I'm saying is that I'd be too scared of getting it wrong to go after someone for stolen valor. Unless it was just insane. And even then I'd probably just walk away because the dude would probably be insane.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4aauge/matt_chat_331_rob_irving_on_star_citizen/d0zf5ny

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sundowner posted:

what so these guys presumably buy these uniforms online or whatever and wear them for what? to get free poo poo and pretend to kids they're some kind of hero or are they actual military folk wearing their uniform improperly/at in appropriate times etc?

Honestly not all of them are even after free poo poo. A lot of them just have legit personality disorders and do it because it's a way for them to feel special about themselves. It's kind of a natural reaction to the way we idolize the military in America.

For a lot of guys it's the same as the dudes who wear Naruto headbands around their house and practice their katas or whatever - they just want to feel special.

Of course the flip side of that is dudes liker Bernath who use it as a way to further their career or for monetary gain. I remember a couple years ago there was a dude who had set up a pretty legit company that offered military training and support services to civilians and military contractors who hired a bunch of actual ex-SF guys to run his training programs and basically banked the whole thing on the idea that he was a green beret, and it all collapsed when it turned out he wasn't. Don't remember the dude's name though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

It's a good thing no one will abuse this.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Wafflz posted:

Is that a wallet chain?

Buttplug chain

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Samizdata posted:

But I DID FIGHT IN THE FIRST MOON WAR! WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT VETERANCY!
Looking at that picture, shouldn't that be veterinariancy?

Also, disturbed to learn SC guy with bunny ears and white painted face isn't unique. What the gently caress is that all about?

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

spacetoaster posted:

That's what scares me about it. I've been in 20 freaking years, and in that time the uniforms have changed many times. I bet, right now, you could probably find something out of regulation on a lot of Soldiers just because the regulations and uniforms are changing so much.

Also, you're allowed to wear your dress uniform to appropriate functions (banquets, balls, funerals, ceremonies, etc). And if you're retired you're authorized to wear your dress uniform to stuff until the day you die.

So what I'm saying is that I'd be too scared of getting it wrong to go after someone for stolen valor. Unless it was just insane. And even then I'd probably just walk away because the dude would probably be insane.

I know a few dudes who don't wear their dress uniforms unless it's a military function. They absolutely won't wear it outside of that cause of assholes who either press them on their backgrounds or literally just ask them if they killed anyone.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

spacetoaster posted:

The places I usually hit up to check for Stolen Valor posts usually don't post without either a photo that's so blatantly hosed up you can't help, but notice or if they've got a DD214 to verify it, but yeah, serious problem when legit guys are called out.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

tooterfish posted:

Looking at that picture, shouldn't that be veterinariancy?

Also, disturbed to learn SC guy with bunny ears and white painted face isn't unique. What the gently caress is that all about?

Nah, it's the same dude. He's just been doing this for a long time.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever I'm in the Atlanta airport coming up those escalators and people start clapping for the service guy in uniform near me, I close my eyes and pretend they're clapping for me

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Nah, it's the same dude. He's just been doing this for a long time.
Slightly relieved, but also still disturbed.

Imagine the things that hat has seen? Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Nebiros posted:

The places I usually hit up to check for Stolen Valor posts usually don't post without either a photo that's so blatantly hosed up you can't help, but notice or if they've got a DD214 to verify it, but yeah, serious problem when legit guys are called out.

I'd be able to spot SV on any Canadian poser. You spend enough time in and you can spot even the smallest discrepencies. Usually you wouldn't actually come out and say "Yo, SV bitchass" until you've asked questions. By asking questions that anyone should be able to answer if they were in the military you can find out pretty quick. I also stopped wearing my uniform when I was still in due to one time at Walmart when some lady spit on me and called me a baby killer, before promptly walking into an automated sliding door and falling down.

• Locked thread