Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
so i put this game to the test, i tried to murder everyone on the map.

i sure feel bad slaughtering innocent people now with the way the ai reacts but holy hell i can cap a dude across the map and leave a bullet wound on their face but theyll just stand back up

that and the ai being able to unload bullets with perfect accuracy at any distance, just try sniping at random from the top of the barge and watch guards spray your health away with pistols

speaking of sniper rifles, is there no zooming with the scope??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
If you need to zoom git gud.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

All I can say is that I'm having loads of fun with this level; I've been playing the Hitman series since its beginning and I think it's never been better. I'm most certainly not a fan of the staggered release model, though. I want to keep playing ffs. Also, only six levels in total does sound a little stingy. Apart from that, I can't complain. gently caress me, I missed (good) Hitman so much.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kontradaz posted:

So played Paris for a while doing like half of the challenges and then just got bored. Booted up Alekhine's Gun for the first time, and dude it just feels a lot better with the mission flow. Hitman doesn't have a flow, and at most I think this level really has in terms of like, novel experiences, is 1 hour or so.

I've played for at least 3 hours on the map and only actually completed it once.

Not just because I'm bad (I am), but because there's plenty to explore and look at and do.

s0m3 guy posted:

just try sniping at random from the top of the barge

There's a barge?!

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Oh DX12, how you tease me with your 60 fps, yet taketh away with purple-blue textures and random crashes and even more buggy sound seriously why is the sound engine so borked in this will anyone ever actually finish a full sentence goddamn.

Learning to do Silent Assassin and similarly stealthy challenges has led me to remembering that I am real bad at new Hitman levels, and only really git gud after tons and tons of replays. I'm also very happy that this Hitman game lets me be bad at Hitman-ing. You thought Viktor was going to drink from that glass and vom into a toilet you can drown him in? Nope, and you probs just poisoned a random NPC for no reason. Feels real good, because it's not just PLAYER HAS DONE THING SO AM SCRIPT NOW.

It's chill if you don't dig the game but "only one hour of 'novelty'" is a real silly thing to say for a lot of reasons, unless you really despise replaying things in which case it's silly for one less reason and also why would you buy later episodes of a game where that's almost explicitly the point???

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Moartoast posted:

It's chill if you don't dig the game but "only one hour of 'novelty'" is a real silly thing to say for a lot of reasons, unless you really despise replaying things in which case it's silly for one less reason and also why would you buy later episodes of a game where that's almost explicitly the point???

Agreed, Hitman to me has always been about replaying missions you thought you had figured out. I mean, no poo poo, a straight playthrough of even the biggest Hitman missions won't take very long and might not be worth 15 bucks in and of itself, but there's many hours of fun to be had experimenting and making GBS threads up the levels. Also contracts.

I might lose my gamer cred here but I only just realized that there's no DX12 for Windows 7 apparently? I'm definitely not installing Windows 10, so gently caress MS I guess.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I had a good time doing the showstopper path, after shimmying back to solid ground I wound up in a room with the lady target and two bodyguards. I've disabled the minimap and had no clue they were in there. Luckily I had a hammer equipped because I started frantically mashing Q trying to catch them before they ran out of the room.

I'm liking this a lot more than absolution. I guess I'm a purist in the sense that I try to keep all assists off, not that I'm good at the game by any stretch, but I find that figuring things out yourself is half of the fun in (good) stealth games. This'll definitely satisfy my stealth itch until Dishonored 2 comes out.

Wengy posted:

I might lose my gamer cred here but I only just realized that there's no DX12 for Windows 7 apparently? I'm definitely not installing Windows 10, so gently caress MS I guess.

DX12 straight up wouldn't let me load into missions, and from what I've heard even if it does it's still buggy and broken.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Did they take out the brief slow-mo when you headshot people since the beta? Or am I missing the difficulty options somewhere?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

If you need to zoom git gud.

i need to see the facial expressions of my target before i blast it away
http://i.imgur.com/AuHEMrf.gifv

Steve2911 posted:

There's a barge?!

its an unlockable starting point, its in the back garden where the helicopter is on the side that isnt gated, bring a lockpick

Pilchenstein posted:

Did they take out the brief slow-mo when you headshot people since the beta? Or am I missing the difficulty options somewhere?

that was p much what made absolution enjoyable for me. they got rid of a thing that was actually ok

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

took me the weekend just to finish Paris once but once I started finding Opportunities and poo poo, beat it 3 different times in a row as a waiter, Sheik, rubber duck explosive enthusiast. Really like most of it so far, even if there were a few instances that hosed me over like a random NPC getting pissed at me crouching and proceeding to HUNT ME. I think ultimately IOI needs to give people some offline mode or the impressions and reviews of it will suffer; personally I only got disconnected once but this is 2016, we don't need loving leaderboards as a constant. I do like all the different challenges but really don't think this needs to be tied to the innernet.

I'll be sad if there's only 5 other stages coming, Paris is so rich and I was constantly surprised by how much dialogue I picked up on every time I did a new playthrough. You have to do different poo poo each time to really absorb all the little stories about IAGO, Ascendants, and everyday poo poo from employees. Pretty cool how after I caused a lockout, one of the models called first to her mom to ensure her she was alright, then argued with her bf about not making dinner in time.

Runs really great on PS4 as well, FPS was better than the beta and things looks pretty good. Load times are a huge bummer but as long as the framerate is stable, I'll sweat that out.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Sneaking around constantly in full view of NPC's gets you a load of pretty funny dialogue, though don't hang around too long or people will get too suspicious and potentially blow your cover.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I was a supporter of this staggered release model because I was pretty sure the game was going to be mediocre but now that I played the Paris level a few times I really just want to pay $45 more dollars and jump right into the rest of the game. Oh well, I guess it'll be fun once a month to have a new level to play with.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just realized how much I found myself savescumming that second tutorial level to get things juuust right. I should probably turn that off, huh.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

s0m3 guy posted:

that was p much what made absolution enjoyable for me. they got rid of a thing that was actually ok

The only two things I really miss from Absolution are hiding in crowds (I thought that was a really cool feature and I'm not sure why they took it out - it always annoyed me in Blood Money how during the Mardi Gras level they had this amazing massive crowd of people yet the cops/bodyguards would follow/shoot at you like it didn't exist), and the point shooting mode, which is hardly mandatory, but it was fun to play with.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I just realized how much I found myself savescumming that second tutorial level to get things juuust right. I should probably turn that off, huh.

I definitely didn't save a lot when I was doing the levels for the first time, but after that I think its a fun tool to have because it lessens the frustration when you're trying for a very specific assassination. A lot of them come down to timing, and there's no way I'd even attempt the complicated stuff if I had to use the same checkpoint system from Absolution.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

I liked the new game.... well, at least until this happened like ten minutes ago

It just threw me to the main menu in the middle of the Showstopper level and attempting to reconnect to the server failed. And yes, it's definitely the game/servers, not my connection.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hitman: 6 levels in total plus prologue, staggered release

Hitman blood Money: 12 levels in total plus prologue, all came out at once.

Whats the reason for this.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

net cafe scandal posted:

Hitman fans don't care if their franchise gets bastardized.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kontradaz posted:

Hitman fans don't care if their franchise gets bastardized.

This is a very not true statement.

The answer is that they don't care about being hosed as long as their franchise isn't bastardised.

I don't mind the staggered release at all, but the small total of levels is poo poo.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Money thing I'd imagine, publisher probably isn't sure if something like Blood Money is a viable title these days (plus development costs way more now than 10 years ago) so releasing it in chapters makes sense for them since it probably increases revenue overall. Plus isn't IO running a skeleton crew now? Episodic releases probably help with relieving deadline stress too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

net cafe scandal posted:

Asset creation costs rise while sales and price stay constant.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know a lot of people don't want to hear this but the Contracts mode really does make up for a lot of those complaints. I mean yea its the same level technically, but the amount of detail that's there for each NPC and the huge area that the Paris level covers really makes some of the Contracts feel like their own thing. If the other levels are as big or bigger, they're be plenty of interesting Contracts for them too.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

This is a very not true statement.

The answer is that they don't care about being hosed as long as their franchise isn't bastardised.

I don't mind the staggered release at all, but the small total of levels is poo poo.

it's literally impossible to acknowledge a major flaw in a video game without hating it thoroughly so you must be one of those filthy casuals ruining my perfect franchise you're not even REAL gamers like me your fun is false i know what's up.

I will say that I like getting hosed in general so I wouldn't equate the level count to that, it's more like having a satisfying poo poo but you feel like there's more in there so it's like "man I'm both satisfied and unsatisfied and also can't bottom for a while so that's a bummer", y'know?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

The contracts mode are a joke. You can do the same thing in Silent Assassin by forcing yourself to kill some Japanese dude with a knife and a certain costume. Boom, contract done. Modern padding of games for sheep is what we have here.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Kontradaz posted:

The contracts mode are a joke. You can do the same thing in Silent Assassin by forcing yourself to kill some Japanese dude with a knife and a certain costume. Boom, contract done. Modern padding of games for sheep is what we have here.

rip gaming

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It kinda sounds like it might make sense to have a few releases that have multiple smaller levels, like A New Life scale levels.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If all the levels are going to be as big and dense like Paris than one new Hitman stage is like two Blood Money levels put together and I'm fine with that. I mean hell I've got more than my 15 bucks worth for just those three levels.

wyoak posted:

Money thing I'd imagine, publisher probably isn't sure if something like Blood Money is a viable title these days (plus development costs way more now than 10 years ago) so releasing it in chapters makes sense for them since it probably increases revenue overall. Plus isn't IO running a skeleton crew now? Episodic releases probably help with relieving deadline stress too.
Square has had like zero confidence for this gen for some time, so its why their current published games in development have been messed around with. (i.e. Square originally wanting micro transactions in Just Cause 3, Legacy of Kain: Dark Sun being scrapped at the very last minute for Nosgoth, Triad Wars instead of a real Sleeping Dogs 2, Deus Ex 4's huge delay.)

Kontradaz posted:

Lol, are you for real?

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 14, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
My beef with the game is getting kicked out of the game when online. That's just annoying and dumb.

Also reason for the way Hitman is being released is SE trying to do an episodic release.

I mean hey 15 dollars to try out if you like the game is better than wasting 60 and finding out you don't like it.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 14, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Accordion Man posted:

If all the levels are going to be as big and dense like Paris than one new Hitman stage is like two Blood Money levels put together and I'm fine with that. I mean hell I've got more than my 15 bucks worth for just those three levels.

Yeah but it's still just one level. With one set of routines to explore, one set of targets to kill. One sense of wonder to enjoy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol the new patch broke loads of stuff

https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/709439209837359104

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I really thought the point of releasing big enivornments one by one was that they would have multiple events and missions, like a nighttime concert on the lawn or something

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They hosed up the hud big time in the latest patch. Would avoid if possible (ps4 anyway)

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I'll only be shittin' on the business model well and truly if they pull a season pass out of their rear end at the last moment or charge more for the ~full experience~ (i.e, bump it up to the much more gross level of FF VII Remake's garbage), neither of which I would put past Squeenix's lovely management. As it stands, though, you pay five whole extra dollars if you buy the levels individually and IOI is forced to make big intricate levels that stand on their own and not pull any of their bullshit ideas about "cinematic storytelling" or just plain poo poo levels like half of SA or all of CN47.

Level count's a bit of a bummer, but if they're all immensely dense with potential shenanigans, then I guess I'll have to be a casual shill sheeple and shell out to The Man.

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah but it's still just one level. With one set of routines to explore, one set of targets to kill. One sense of wonder to enjoy.

I mean, there's several modes dedicated to giving you different sets of targets to kill and encouraging you explore the map in different ways, there's enough different ways you can get through a mission that there's usually more to discover even after a few playthroughs, and the whole thing has been pretty clear about how it wants you to play the levels a lot and know them inside and out. If that's not your jam and doesn't let you "enjoy a sense of wonder" past the first run, s'all good, but this is pretty plainly designed for grognards like me to play over and over and over and

Honestly, my complaint here is that there's not enough reward for doing any of the contracts, since it's just pure score at the end and the time stat seems either broken or just poorly designed so everybody's just gettin' 210,000 score every time. And yeah, this game needs some MGSV-style patrols that have schedules and shifts or something, because a lot of potential contracts targets are just peeps standing in the exact same spot forever.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I went through a kill-them-all run of the meat party in Contracts and dual shotguns are amazing. :bustem:

People are just flying all around you.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I haven't experienced a server disconnect while playing yet, thank goodness. I'm definitely disappointed in the performance of the game and the poor optimization of the PC version. I'm running a R9 390, well above the recommended specs, and even after installing the new drivers can only manage to play Paris at 720p with medium settings. Anything higher and I get bombed with low memory warnings (which I still get, even at these low settings) and Windows crashes. I'm expecting these issues to go away with more development and better DX12 implementation, but it's still incredibly frustrating that this game can't use my shiny new PC the way I feel it should be using it.

Steve2911 posted:

I dunno, I'm still feeling pretty overwhelmed by Paris. The ground floor and the upper levels feel like two completely different worlds. Judging by the list of challenges, there are two or three things that I have absolutely no idea how to get yet. And I'm still finding new pathways and shortcuts all over the place, too. I'm very much enjoying playing through one giant-rear end level, thanks.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

I wondered where my cool white suit and duck bomb went.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Moartoast posted:

I mean, there's several modes dedicated to giving you different sets of targets to kill and encouraging you explore the map in different ways, there's enough different ways you can get through a mission that there's usually more to discover even after a few playthroughs, and the whole thing has been pretty clear about how it wants you to play the levels a lot and know them inside and out. If that's not your jam and doesn't let you "enjoy a sense of wonder" past the first run, s'all good, but this is pretty plainly designed for grognards like me to play over and over and over and

Honestly, my complaint here is that there's not enough reward for doing any of the contracts, since it's just pure score at the end and the time stat seems either broken or just poorly designed so everybody's just gettin' 210,000 score every time. And yeah, this game needs some MGSV-style patrols that have schedules and shifts or something, because a lot of potential contracts targets are just peeps standing in the exact same spot forever.

Speaking of MGSV, I'd have quite liked it if they went full on Ground Zeroes and gave you proper different missions that completely re-contextualise the map.

Like, every map has its main story mission, then there's other stuff like 'a croquet match is happening on the palace grounds one sunny morning, kill the bastards' that has nothing to do with the fashion show etc. Contracts mode is a nice little compromise but on it's own doesn't add nearly the same sort of re-playability.

WindyMan posted:

I dunno, I'm still feeling pretty overwhelmed by Paris. The ground floor and the upper levels feel like two completely different worlds. Judging by the list of challenges, there are two or three things that I have absolutely no idea how to get yet. And I'm still finding new pathways and shortcuts all over the place, too. I'm very much enjoying playing through one giant-rear end level, thanks.
Don't get me wrong, the map is great, but it would be nice if there was, say, six huge maps and four or five smaller ones mixed up in there too. Not every lever needs to be an intricate palace, especially at the expense of the amount of levels.

If every month came with one or two slightly more fleshed out equivalents of the tutorial maps in the intro pack, that'd be brilliant.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

The funny thing about the Paris level with the starting suit is that you can just climb a pipe near the helicopter to get to the third floor, vault over the railing where the VIPs are drinking and Bodyguards are and they won't give a poo poo that you just climbed you're way up from the ground floor.

It appears to me that pipes in this game are the everyday tool of a Hitman and that the bodyguards are not getting paid enough.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Extreme0 posted:

The funny thing about the Paris level with the starting suit is that you can just climb a pipe near the helicopter to get to the third floor, vault over the railing where the VIPs are drinking and Bodyguards are and they won't give a poo poo that you just climbed you're way up from the ground floor.

It appears to me that pipes in this game are the everyday tool of a Hitman and that the bodyguards are not getting paid enough.
Everyone is just impressed by your cool parkour skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey I've got one remaining challenge in Final Test and I'm not quite sure how to set it up: "A Slide Mistake". I feel like an idiot not being able to figure this one out, can someone give me the broadstrokes on it?