Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Stanford finally fired Johnny Dawkins. Wondering if he moves down the coaching chain (or would even be successful if he did) or if he just slinks back to Duke and winds up his career there as director of basketball operations or alumni outreach or something.

Anyway, that's a top-notch job right there, without the immediate psychosis that surrounds some of those positions. Would expect every up-and-comer to be waiting by the phone for that call.

Josh Lyman posted:

5 years with Georgia Tech's current coach and we haven't made the tournament even once.

Turns out a big part of the reason he hasn't been fired is because we're STILL on the hook for $900k/year to Paul Hewitt thru 2019, a full 8 years after he was fired.

The former AD should be stripped of any connections to GT.

Hilariously, Gregory's candidacy for higher level jobs was based on one amazing, unsustainable year at Dayton, rather than consistent success like Archie Miller has had there. GT really gets their heads turned by one-time achievements.

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
:siren: Goon bracket thread is up in Armchair Quarterback :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768389

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Benne posted:

:siren: Goon bracket thread is up in Armchair Quarterback :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768389

And now in OP as well.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Vegas 16 bracket was announced. It has 8 teams. :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

relax-o-vision posted:

What do you mean? South Dakota State got in.

South Dakota state really does have a better claim to SDSU than San Diego anyway.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Jesus, now our women's team has been hosed by the NCAA and has to play in Sioux Falls despite being the second No. 1 seed in the tournament. Our AD must have hosed somebody's wife or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

RumbleFish posted:

Jesus, now our women's team has been hosed by the NCAA and has to play in Sioux Falls despite being the second No. 1 seed in the tournament. Our AD must have hosed somebody's wife or something.

Hmm, Sioux Falls, nasty business.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Toilet Mouth posted:

Hmm, Sioux Falls, nasty business.

The women's tournament works differently from the men's. The top seeds host the early rounds and usually travel to a nearby regional for the rest of their games (pre-Final Four, of course). The other three 1-seeds got paired with local sites and yet we have to travel halfway across the country for some unspecified reason. Hopefully that won't make a difference, but it's bizarre all the same.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

RumbleFish posted:

The women's tournament works differently from the men's. The top seeds host the early rounds and usually travel to a nearby regional for the rest of their games (pre-Final Four, of course). The other three 1-seeds got paired with local sites and yet we have to travel halfway across the country for some unspecified reason. Hopefully that won't make a difference, but it's bizarre all the same.

Probably doesn't matter that much since UConn is going to shithouse everyone again

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They could save everyone so much time if they just gave UConn a new trophy every November and called it a season.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Yeah, I went to the SC-UConn game this year and as dominant as our women's team is, UConn is still so much better it's ridiculous.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm glad a&m won a title, in women's basketball

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Doesn't the NCAA not allow states that fly confederate flags to host postseason tournaments, or something like that? I thought South Carolina was on that list.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Doesn't the NCAA not allow states that fly confederate flags to host postseason tournaments, or something like that? I thought South Carolina was on that list.

SC finally removed that flag! :patriot:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

OctoberBlues posted:

Hmm, well I guess we're back to the NCAA hates South Carolina theory then.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

Too bad it took the murder of 9 people for it to happen.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

korrandark posted:

Too bad it took the murder of 9 people for it to happen.

I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever. I think that people need a second chance.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

RumbleFish posted:

Probably because the Sanford center in Sioux Falls is brand new and really nice. I'm guessing the NCAA got a bit of incentive to use it for more than just the Summit league tournament but didn't want to do so for the men's tournament since SDSU is still fairly low-mid tier for Basketball.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Hmm, well I guess we're back to the NCAA hates South Carolina theory then.

most people do and should (it's a bad place)

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

I like coach K's choice because it's obvious he tried to think of the hippest artist he knew of

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

RumbleFish posted:

They better hope Gamecock fans travel because it's going to be embarrassing for everyone if South Carolina plays the first round in a quarter full arena.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Kidd-Liggit posted:

I like coach K's choice because it's obvious he tried to think of the hippest artist he knew of

I think the article picked one for him because he's the only one who didn't respond back (of course, what a loving rear end in a top hat), and he mentioned liking Beyonce once.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's kind of the dumbest thing ever. Don't believe half of these choices. If you're out recruiting 17 year-olds you don't really want them to know how much you love King Crimson, you say something like Nas even though you can't stand that poo poo.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

elentar posted:

The Vegas 16 bracket was announced. It has 8 teams. :confused:

Well 16 is obviously just the year, now - it's a kind of ingenious fallback plan really except for the fact that next year they need to either get 16 teams or become the Vegas 17.

Really, though, out of the CIT, the CBI, and the V16, why wouldn't you take the V16? No campus site hosting, relatively short tournament in one location, a fun location, not guaranteed to lose money. Kind of sad we didn't get to see SMU or Louisville regard any of these third-tier tournaments as "not really postseason" and watch them destroy teams like ETSU.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Edit: I don't really know why any team, especially a young team, would pass up a post-season tournament. Yes the rest of the teams are average to bad, but it's still more playing time and practice, and a very small amount of publicity. Beats sitting at home, although I know it's hard to get hyped for the CBI.

kiimo posted:

It's kind of the dumbest thing ever. Don't believe half of these choices. If you're out recruiting 17 year-olds you don't really want them to know how much you love King Crimson, you say something like Nas even though you can't stand that poo poo.

Bill Self is really just going after a recruit's mom if he's listening to a lot of Luther Vandross.

Lon Kruger with Chicago is alright by me, and Larry Krystowiak with Pearl Jam has me secretly rooting for Utah now.. Steve Prohm with Billy Joel, it could be worse I guess.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 15, 2016

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Anybody who is naming a Peter Cetera-led band as his all time favorite is immediately on my suspect list. I mean I like power ballads and Karate Kid as much as the next guy but when you're doing duets with Amy Grant you don't deserve to be anybody's favorite band.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
John Mayer? Jesus Christ, Miller. I guess he's also going for the moms.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

Anybody who is naming a Peter Cetera-led band as his all time favorite is immediately on my suspect list. I mean I like power ballads and Karate Kid as much as the next guy but when you're doing duets with Amy Grant you don't deserve to be anybody's favorite band.

Chicago were great before Terry Kath won a Darwin Award.

Also I'd jump at the chance to play for a King Crimson-loving coach. drat ballplayers and their dislike of classic prog! :reject:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I should also note since I don't think it has been mentioned... the band that UNI coach Ben Jacobson picked - the Front Fenders. His dad is the lead singer.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

gvibes posted:

Another Illini player arrested, this time Jaylon Tate for punching his girlfriend in the fact. That is two in like three weeks (Leron Black for a felony not too long ago), and three in nine months. John Groce: As Good A Judge Of Character As He Is Of Talent.

Just following this up that I wouldn't take an arrest as proof of guilt just yet (or in general). Let them figure out the whole story.
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2016-03-15/tates-attorney-emails-tell-different-story.html

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

So five of our players, including two who play regularly, were just suspended an hour and a half before our NIT game tonight. :psyduck: I guess we weren't content to end the season with a whimper and instead wanted to strike a match and burn this thing down. Those guys really could have used the postseason experience, too.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 15, 2016

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

I should also note since I don't think it has been mentioned... the band that UNI coach Ben Jacobson picked - the Front Fenders. His dad is the lead singer.

I hope there's like two guys in the band and then he and his brother jump in and call themselves The Quarterpanels.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Do tickets get appreciably cheaper for the second round once teams have knocked out?

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
these poor bastards lost to rutgers and it shows tbqh

e: oops this was meant as a gdt comment about fairleigh dickinson

kindermord fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 16, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

As I watch OSU struggle against loving Akron, after a disappointing but kind of expected season, I wasn't surprised to read this quote from D'Angelo:

quote:

"I started realizing a lot of people didn't work," Russell said in an interview with Bleacher Report. "A lot of God-given talent, a lot of athleticism separated 'em, but it wasn't really work ethic there."

[...]

"I'm like, 'We're not in here every night?' I would come and be the only guy there," Russell said. "Or it'd be me and another player who didn't really play a lot but was a gym rat. Kam Williams. I always used to want him to play with me because he made shots. [H]e loved the game...and he's killin' it this year.

"[But] I noticed a lot of the top guys on the team, they weren't in the gym working as hard as I was. ... That's when I started losing respect for people's opinions who didn't work."

It's a weird situation because Matta built this program up another level and actually gave it some expectation. At the same time, he seems to be in total cruise control. 4* recruits come in, but they don't really improve and the team always seems to get less out of it's talent than it should. The last batch of seniors showed up for the NBA draft combine and had embarrassing levels of body fat apparently. Hopefully this new S&C coach can change the culture, because I like Matta and he should be able to go out on his own terms.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Los Angeles is falling in love with this guy, btw.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Los Angeles is falling in love with this guy, btw.

Well this month they are anyway

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You can't feel the tide turning? Where the perception is Byron Scott "held him back"? He's so fired.

quote:

In Los Angeles, the Lakers haven't yet decided whether to bring Byron Scott back next season. Sources indicate they intend to meet with Scott once the season ends, before deciding whether to retain him. While general manager Mitch Kupchak may have been noticeably unenthusiastic when asked to assess Scott's performance last month, sources indicate that was simply Kupchak's way of avoiding the question and not adding fuel to the speculation about Scott's future. It was clumsy, but it wasn't intended to be the damning indictment some read it as.

Sorry, don't buy it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
In news no one cares about but me, Langston got a 3 seed in the NAIA tourney :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Metapod posted:

In news no one cares about but me, Langston got a 3 seed in the NAIA tourney :getin:

Sorry buddy, we're a Cumberlands crowd round these parts.

• Locked thread