Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not seeing it in CJacobs' post but it's showing up now that Greatbacon quoted it. CJ, are you sure you didn't accidently hit the disable smilies box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not seeing it in CJacobs' post but it's showing up now that Greatbacon quoted it. CJ, are you sure you didn't accidently hit the disable smilies box?

I hit the disable smilies box so the code would show, after the emote didn't show up on my end. For the record it's still not showing up for me, at the time when it would be most appropriate!

You
Oct 6, 2009
So I was trying to unlock the Doge mode for Just Cause 3 and I had found the puppy and everything seemed splendid. We would manage the 20 meter hike over the narrow road easily, and I would be able to expose myself to tired memes via video games without a hitch. That was until a car drove up when the pup and I stood right in the middle of the road. I ran towards it, trying to stop it from running over the poor thing. The car stopped and I returned to herding the dog to its cute little house. Just as I stepped out of the way, the car started turning (to avoid hitting me I thought) and I didn't mind that until it did a totally uncontrolled U-turn, running straight over both me and the adorable little puppy.

Naturally, I reacted as you do in JC3 and blew up everything and everyone in line of sight before checking on the poor puppy-turned-roadkill. He was definitively dead, but I didn't want to go through this again so I stuck a tether to the doghouse and another one on the dog. It actually worked, but somehow the value of subpar humor lessens after you put a hookshot through the remains of a cutesy little mutt complete with blood splatter for it. Bonus for the feeling of being a horrible person.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

You posted:

So I was trying to unlock the Doge mode for Just Cause 3 and I had found the puppy and everything seemed splendid. We would manage the 20 meter hike over the narrow road easily, and I would be able to expose myself to tired memes via video games without a hitch. That was until a car drove up when the pup and I stood right in the middle of the road. I ran towards it, trying to stop it from running over the poor thing. The car stopped and I returned to herding the dog to its cute little house. Just as I stepped out of the way, the car started turning (to avoid hitting me I thought) and I didn't mind that until it did a totally uncontrolled U-turn, running straight over both me and the adorable little puppy.

Naturally, I reacted as you do in JC3 and blew up everything and everyone in line of sight before checking on the poor puppy-turned-roadkill. He was definitively dead, but I didn't want to go through this again so I stuck a tether to the doghouse and another one on the dog. It actually worked, but somehow the value of subpar humor lessens after you put a hookshot through the remains of a cutesy little mutt complete with blood splatter for it. Bonus for the feeling of being a horrible person.

If hookshotting its corpse works, what's to stop you from just slinging it from start to finish?

You
Oct 6, 2009

Nuebot posted:

If hookshotting its corpse works, what's to stop you from just slinging it from start to finish?

Nothing at all, providing you are a unethical husk of a person. :colbert:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

You posted:

Nothing at all, providing you are a unethical husk of a person. :colbert:

So Rico then?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I played Ultimate Chicken Horse last night with some buds. Basic concept: "cooperative" platformer where you and others place blocks/obstacles in a 2D grid world to enable yourself to reach the goal, but hinder your fellow players from doing so.
We learned after a few games that, if your corpse gets pushed into the goal somehow, you receive postmortem points for technically having reached the goal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

A plausible fear that the dog needs to be alive for it to count?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

A plausible fear that the dog needs to be alive for it to count?

It'd probably be alive enough to trigger the unlock right before broadsiding the doghouse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
XCOM 2 little thing: if you kill an enemy soldier with an explosive weapon, any loot they may have dropped will be destroyed- the game will tell you this upon killing them. If they are then reanimated by an enemy that can bring other troops back to life, killing them the second time without an explosion will give you the loot. I feel like that might be unintentional but it's still neat anyway.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CJacobs posted:

XCOM 2 little thing: if you kill an enemy soldier with an explosive weapon, any loot they may have dropped will be destroyed- the game will tell you this upon killing them. If they are then reanimated by an enemy that can bring other troops back to life, killing them the second time without an explosion will give you the loot. I feel like that might be unintentional but it's still neat anyway.

Speaking of:
When an enemy dies, their corpse stays as a physics object. When they drop loot, it teleports to the floor and when you go to take them, they vacuum to you. If there is a corpse between the loot and you, there is a good chance it will fling the corpse across the map. I had one that embedded itself into a car and, I like to think, the alien taking cover at said car got so freaked out that it ran away into my Overwatch ambush.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Inzombiac posted:

When an enemy dies, their corpse stays as a physics object. When they drop loot, it teleports to the floor and when you go to take them, they vacuum to you. If there is a corpse between the loot and you, there is a good chance it will fling the corpse across the map.
The first time a dead sectoid lunged at one of my soldiers with its mouth wide open like some sort of possum-playing vampire I legit thought it was an actual game mechanic. Then it sort of flopped into a very embarrassing spread eagle position with its groin pointed at the camera, and I realised it is just XCOM 2 being the buggy mess of physics it is.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
All the XCOM chat made me boot it up again. I'll say it again, XCOM 2 being so mod friendly is my favourite thing about it.

Without that, this wouldn't be possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG4u-sB8CNU

It's a Tommy Wiseau voice pack and it's amazing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Doge Mode made me play Just Cause 3 again, and I remembered one of the nice little touches with the wing suit. When you are zooming around the sky if you pull back on the control stick Rico slows down and goes up, but if you keep pulling back he does a sweet back flip and gains some speed.

It reminds me of Spider-man 2 where acrobatics were how I spent my time.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beastie posted:

Doge Mode made me play Just Cause 3 again, and I remembered one of the nice little touches with the wing suit. When you are zooming around the sky if you pull back on the control stick Rico slows down and goes up, but if you keep pulling back he does a sweet back flip and gains some speed.

It reminds me of Spider-man 2 where acrobatics were how I spent my time.

Shiiiiiit, I maybe got to the first encounter with Doc Ock in that game, I was too busy just chilling the gently caress out webslinging all over the goddamn place. Then again, I do the same with most open world games that have satisfying controls and/or driving mechanics. (Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, driving around in GTA or Forza Horizon, EA's skate series, etc.)

Make the controls satisfying to use and end up in this thread.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Orange Mage posted:

Shiiiiiit, I maybe got to the first encounter with Doc Ock in that game, I was too busy just chilling the gently caress out webslinging all over the goddamn place. Then again, I do the same with most open world games that have satisfying controls and/or driving mechanics. (Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, driving around in GTA or Forza Horizon, EA's skate series, etc.)

Make the controls satisfying to use and end up in this thread.

I've said it before (probably in this very thread) but in Hulk: Ultimate Destruction there's a stealth mission where Hulk hides inside a truck, then sticks his legs out the bottom of it and walks around like Big Boss in a box.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Stardew Valley is like... 'forget dinner' addictive. I just realized I haven't eaten at 9:30pm

It's got everything I loved about Harvest Moon, but more to do, more to build, more to collect - as well as some good quality of life improvements like being able to walk through most crops.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

Stardew Valley is like... 'forget dinner' addictive. I just realized I haven't eaten at 9:30pm

You have a problem.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TontoCorazon posted:

You have a problem.

It's called Stardew Valley. He's admitted it and that's the first step.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I gave a goth girl some grapes and she didn't like em.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Captain Lavender posted:

It's got everything I loved about Harvest Moon, but more to do, more to build, more to collect - as well as some good quality of life improvements like being able to walk through most crops.

it's dastardly to put the only save option at the beginning of the day. Once you wake up you instinctively want to check on your crops and animals since its just outside the door. Then pretty soon you've watered all your plants and you might as well play the rest of the day now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

princecoo posted:

All the XCOM chat made me boot it up again. I'll say it again, XCOM 2 being so mod friendly is my favourite thing about it.

Without that, this wouldn't be possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG4u-sB8CNU

It's a Tommy Wiseau voice pack and it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_63DYAi5jY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=appHBe0ZSOA

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Away all Goats posted:

it's dastardly to put the only save option at the beginning of the day. Once you wake up you instinctively want to check on your crops and animals since its just outside the door. Then pretty soon you've watered all your plants and you might as well play the rest of the day now.

At least one of the Harvest Moon games did something almost identical, except you saved when you slept. What made it almost identical is that, after saving, it would immediately start the next day.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FredMSloniker posted:

At least one of the Harvest Moon games did something almost identical, except you saved when you slept. What made it almost identical is that, after saving, it would immediately start the next day.

That's what Stardew does.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Battlefield 4: If you do the majority of the damage to an enemy the game just awards you the kill credit for it. Every online FPS or other such game where you need kills to level up stuff should have this mandatory. Then "kill stealing" stops being a thing except for the kdr spergs but who cares about those people.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

:sever:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm not far into Bravely Second, but it won me over the moment I got the second job, the Charioteer. Obtained from an ancient and extremely gung-ho warrior named after a mythological figure, it's a job whose ability is that they get better with weapons the more they use them in a fight. A fun idea, admittedly let down a bit by the fact that other melee characters already have A-rank ability with weapons.

Then you unlock Tri Wield, which lets you equip a third weapon on your head.

And later you unlock Quad Wield, which lets you equip another weapon instead of armor, too.

Frankly I was already sold when I realized who I was getting the job from, but I loved it to bits the moment I realized what they were doing. The Bravely games are spiritual sequels to Final Fantasy V, and they just gave us what we've been missing all this time: a Gilgamesh job!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

Battlefield 4: If you do the majority of the damage to an enemy the game just awards you the kill credit for it. Every online FPS or other such game where you need kills to level up stuff should have this mandatory. Then "kill stealing" stops being a thing except for the kdr spergs but who cares about those people.

CS: GO and Team Fortress 2 also do this via kill assists. If someone else gets the killing shot but you did more than half of the damage that caused them to die, you get a kill assist and it says "X killed by Y + Z" where Z is you in the kill feed. However, for the purposes of calculating stats on things like stat tracking weapons and so on, assists count as if you were the one that had gotten the kill, so kill-stealing isn't possible.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So here's a neat thing I managed to do for the first time since Dark Souls II's DLC came out. One of the bosses is Alonne and he's a samurai wielding a cursed sword like they're prone to doing in video games. When you enter the arena to fight him he bows to you and it's all very cool, but the thing is if you manage to beat him without taking damage he stabs his own sword through his gut instead of the usual death animation. This is also the sword's special move if you make it and it not only can kill enemies that get too close to you, but it buffs it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

I'm not far into Bravely Second, but it won me over the moment I got the second job, the Charioteer. Obtained from an ancient and extremely gung-ho warrior named after a mythological figure, it's a job whose ability is that they get better with weapons the more they use them in a fight. A fun idea, admittedly let down a bit by the fact that other melee characters already have A-rank ability with weapons.

Then you unlock Tri Wield, which lets you equip a third weapon on your head.

And later you unlock Quad Wield, which lets you equip another weapon instead of armor, too.

Frankly I was already sold when I realized who I was getting the job from, but I loved it to bits the moment I realized what they were doing. The Bravely games are spiritual sequels to Final Fantasy V, and they just gave us what we've been missing all this time: a Gilgamesh job!

The imagery for this is amazing. Someone with a weapon in each hand, another blade duct-taped to their head like a suction-cup dildo and one more just sort of taped to their chest, spinning wildly as he attacks.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Crusader Kings 2: I was playing a ruler who had the Voice of Satan modifier, which gave him amazing stats but made him hated and feared by everyone, including his own family, and he hated them in return. In the course of the game, you'll occasionally get pop up windows where your Spymaster tells you about assassination plots threatening you or your family, and you get the option of sending them into hiding. When I got those with Voice of Satan guy, saying that his wife and son were being plotted against, the dismiss button for this, which normally just reads something like "How terrible!" now just said "Actually, I don't blame them."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

She likes junk food, beer, and wine. Hates veggies.

Also I'm pretty sure all the broken CDs in the pond at your ranch are old Linkin Park albums she snapped during angsty fights with Pierre and Caroline about her life choices

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Division: During whiteout conditions (which thanks to the awesome lighting mechanics are loving gorgeous, and in the Dark Zone also pretty terrifying) your Agent's standing and walking stance changes so he/she is huddled up against the cold, even dynamically turning their shoulder slightly against wherever the wind is coming from and tucking their head down to cover more of their neck with their scarf.

Not only that, but snow gradually accumulates on your hat and shoulders and backpack and melts away when you go indoors. And after that, your hat and jacket turn shiny because they're now covered in water. Goddamn, I love this game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It's really cool to see all the different NPCs while walking around in The Division. Some are fighting/arguing with other NPCs, others are trying to scavenge and break into cars, and a whole bunch more events. There are even unique NPC events for non-human characters!

https://twitter.com/TheDivisionGame/status/709774897371680768

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PunkBoy posted:

It's really cool to see all the different NPCs while walking around in The Division. Some are fighting/arguing with other NPCs, others are trying to scavenge and break into cars, and a whole bunch more events. There are even unique NPC events for non-human characters!

https://twitter.com/TheDivisionGame/status/709774897371680768

I have no idea if this was scripted but I gunned down some random gang members and then managed some of my inventory.
A civilian walks by, sees the corpses, drops to his knees and goes, "Oh god... why?"

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Inzombiac posted:

I have no idea if this was scripted but I gunned down some random gang members and then managed some of my inventory.
A civilian walks by, sees the corpses, drops to his knees and goes, "Oh god... why?"

I've always liked when games added weight to actions you took as if they were real. I remember one that particularly struck me as a teenager was in Aliens vs. Predator 2, in the alien campaign, you had to sneak around the containment facility you started off in to infect a lone scientist and burst out of his chest. If you got spotted, all the scientists would go on the fritz, panicking and cowering for dear life. If you got up close to one of them you could hear them stuttering under their breath, saying things like "Oh jesus, oh god oh god...". Makes you feel like a piece of poo poo.

But since it's a video game, I exploded out of some dude's chest, ate a cat alive, and grew up into a giant, horrible xenomorph. :getin:

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

If you lose a boss fight in Undertale, the dialogue leading up to the fight is shortened when you fight them again. The game also let's you skip a couple of scenes if you've already played through once.

In Stardew Valley you can pet animals. I'm not sure what this even does, but it's nice.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

She likes junk food, beer, and wine. Hates veggies.

Also I'm pretty sure all the broken CDs in the pond at your ranch are old Linkin Park albums she snapped during angsty fights with Pierre and Caroline about her life choices

she hates the bone flute too, apparently

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

she hates the bone flute too, apparently

Good news for my single female farmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Swedish Horror posted:

If you lose a boss fight in Undertale, the dialogue leading up to the fight is shortened when you fight them again. The game also let's you skip a couple of scenes if you've already played through once.

This always makes me happy when games do this. Assault Android Cactus is the same way, only showing you the dialogue if you switch characters since it's character-specific. Then when you get sick of that because you're trying to S+ everything, there's a menu (unlocked right from the start) that lets you remove the dialogue entirely. Even then, you get about a 5-second intro when first loading the stage with the old "boss's name shows up in white in the middle of the screen with a short descriptor", but when you restart the stage as the same character it even cuts that out, just dropping the boss onto the playing field and starting the fight immediately.

Makes trying to score run/100% way less frustrating than other games.