Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Policenaut posted:

Hey I've got one remaining challenge in Final Test and I'm not quite sure how to set it up: "A Slide Mistake". I feel like an idiot not being able to figure this one out, can someone give me the broadstrokes on it?

Find the projector slides in the downstairs area and head to the projector in the upstairs room and look for an off switch, the rest will soon follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I spent like half an hour yesterday trying to find those slides--and a bottle of vodka--to no avail. I am the worst hunter.

This was after an opportunistically luckya totally planned out theft of a Lt Col's uniform, so I even had free reign :sigh:

(edit) Is the first tutorial as open as the second and Paris seem to be? I've found one accident kill method in the first tutorial, besides the simple silenced shot the actual tutoring asks you to do.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Judge Tesla posted:

Find the projector slides in the downstairs area and head to the projector in the upstairs room and look for an off switch, the rest will soon follow.

Haha, I'm sorry but I actually got the two projector assassinations mixed up. I mean the one that asks you to "set up" the KGB guy. How do you do that one? Sorry for my confusion.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Haha, I'm sorry but I actually got the two projector assassinations mixed up. I mean the one that asks you to "set up" the KGB guy. How do you do that one? Sorry for my confusion.

Just turn it off while they're reviewing the slides and walk away. A comical mistake will soon follow.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

were coins always this OP?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Just turn it off while they're reviewing the slides and walk away. A comical mistake will soon follow.

Oh wow I feel like such an idiot. Thanks1

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

voltcatfish posted:

were coins always this OP?

Even more so in Blood Money than here, actually, since 47 had an endless supply of featureless gold coins in his infinitely deep pockets. Here, there's at least a risk of losing them all if you're not careful (or if the game bugs out and doesn't let you pick them back up, because that seems to happen quite a bit with interactable physics objects).

I really, really wish they brought back a difficulty select, that's maybe my biggest disappointment with the game so far. The default difficulty isn't anywhere close to Absolution-easy, but some new restrictions, more perceptive and less forgiving AI and maybe evidence cleanup would be nice to have. Also a BM-like notoriety system that would adapt to previous runs ala TPP would be a nice bit of variation, even if it wouldn't make much sense here.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Extreme0 posted:

The funny thing about the Paris level with the starting suit is that you can just climb a pipe near the helicopter to get to the third floor, vault over the railing where the VIPs are drinking and Bodyguards are and they won't give a poo poo that you just climbed you're way up from the ground floor.

It appears to me that pipes in this game are the everyday tool of a Hitman and that the bodyguards are not getting paid enough.

you can even do it right in front of a security guard and they'll trigger dialogue that it's really weird and you should get down from there but they don't actually seem to get suspicious

on the other hand, i tossed a dude off the balcony and assault-rifled dahlia in the face then jumped back away and they didn't cancel the fashion show or even activate the lockdown, so i suppose this game's about leeway

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jintor posted:

you can even do it right in front of a security guard and they'll trigger dialogue that it's really weird and you should get down from there but they don't actually seem to get suspicious

on the other hand, i tossed a dude off the balcony and assault-rifled dahlia in the face then jumped back away and they didn't cancel the fashion show or even activate the lockdown, so i suppose this game's about leeway

They don't seem to ever cancel the fashion show unless you bring down the light rig. Even if you start shooting up the main room, you'll just have guards coming in and the people around you moving away. The show must go on, after all.

Something that I have noticed that's kind of cool is that guard's knowledge of your crimes actually seems to spread in an organic way - it starts off with just the dudes who saw you, and if you manage to get away from them, the people on the other end of the map won't be suspicious of you. But as time goes on, the guards searching for you will alert other guards they meet along the way, and then THOSE guards meet other people, etc. and they all know who you are now.

It is a little odd that they don't seem to try to contact the people across the map by radio and only alert other guards they meet in person, but I guess the game is set up to be forgiving so that one mistake doesn't light up the whole map like it did in Codename 47.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It is a little odd that they don't seem to try to contact the people across the map by radio and only alert other guards they meet in person, but I guess the game is set up to be forgiving so that one mistake doesn't light up the whole map like it did in Codename 47.

Or via telepathy like in Absolution.

Man, gently caress Absolution.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jintor posted:

I was wondering about that, myself. I just completed The Showstopper for the first time (3/5 stars, I thought I did better than that :saddowns:), and after shooting Viktor onstage there was no reaction from Dahlia or her schedule. Shouldn't, uh, shouldn't someone have told her? :confused:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

While I'm in here, is Mastery on a per mission or total basis? Can I get it from either of the tutorial levels? I want to go beat up that chess nerd some more :v:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I was wondering about that, myself. I just completed The Showstopper for the first time (3/5 stars, I thought I did better than that :saddowns:), and after shooting Viktor onstage there was no reaction from Dahlia or her schedule. Shouldn't, uh, shouldn't someone have told her? :confused:

She does actually get a phone call about it at some point - I've seen it happen (she basically seems really shocked, and then rationalizes it with "well I guess all his crap eventually caught up to him"). It might be that it occurs very soon after he gets killed so if you don't just bolt up to her room right away you'll miss it. Her schedule itself doesn't change beyond that one moment, though.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

net cafe scandal posted:

Hitman: 6 levels in total plus prologue, staggered release

Hitman blood Money: 12 levels in total plus prologue, all came out at once.

Whats the reason for this.

Christ gamers these days are dense. Whether wilfully or not.

Games are a lot bigger, have more moving parts, and prettier than they were TEN YEARS AGO. It takes a lot longer and a lot more money to make them. There's more detail in the Paris map than all of BM combined. Probably 100x more polygons, sound effects, textures, etc. These maps are bigger, more detailed and have ongoing support. Also, SE wants to see how it goes before spending 50-100 million on development and marketing for a game that might not make it back. PUBLISHERS LIKE TO MAKE MONEY AND NOT WASTE IT MORE NEWS AT FIVE.

It gets really tiring seeing the same bullshit complaints, time and time again, especially when it's so obvious why these things are the way they are. Comparing games that are ten years apart in both design and budget and the difference in the industry is loving dumb. It's really loving dumb.

You don't have to like it, but it's about time people start accepting certain realities instead of whining about things because it isn't exactly like the times they remember with rose-tinted glasses. poo poo's different now, if you hate it so much go take up pottery or something.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

There's a lot of poo poo that Square Enix wants to pull that people are rightly dubious about, but yeah the sheer checklist numbers game of "less content why???" is unbelievably trite and overused critique. It's especially hilarious, because a lot of wannabe game critics will then turn around and use the old "wide as an ocean deep as a puddle!!!" thing with Ubisoft-type games, when the dollars-to-hours, quantity-over-quality checklist ideal is reinforced specifically by them.

There's still a shitload to criticize in this game, especially on the technical side, and even I'm a bit sad that we're only getting 7-odd levels total, but I understand that this is pretty much the only way to pitch modern prettied-up Hitman game while retaining what people (who aren't creeps) revere in the series. It's not really anti-consumer on its own (though Squeenix's ambitions to standardizing episodic releases are, as evidenced by FF VII) and makes for a kinda clever focus on replay value in a niche stealth game.

It's worth noting that I also like that there are intuitive UI helpers for casual players that don't give away all of the level, so they can still get creative, so basically I support casual gamers hijacking our precious no-cooties-allowed hardcore gamer identities and have no concern for ethics in video game development.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Vic will even call Dahlia if he meets Valerie.

Even if she's dead.

The 'events trigger on proximity' thing is a little wonky still. I swear to god Dahlia had her meeting with Helmut but moments afterwards I triggered the end of the show and he was somehow waiting at the end of the catwalk to go on. Still, I'm not entirely certain it was Helmut in the room with Dahlia, so idunno.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

Christ gamers these days are dense. Whether wilfully or not.

Games are a lot bigger, have more moving parts, and prettier than they were TEN YEARS AGO. It takes a lot longer and a lot more money to make them. There's more detail in the Paris map than all of BM combined. Probably 100x more polygons, sound effects, textures, etc. These maps are bigger, more detailed and have ongoing support. Also, SE wants to see how it goes before spending 50-100 million on development and marketing for a game that might not make it back. PUBLISHERS LIKE TO MAKE MONEY AND NOT WASTE IT MORE NEWS AT FIVE.

It gets really tiring seeing the same bullshit complaints, time and time again, especially when it's so obvious why these things are the way they are. Comparing games that are ten years apart in both design and budget and the difference in the industry is loving dumb. It's really loving dumb.

You don't have to like it, but it's about time people start accepting certain realities instead of whining about things because it isn't exactly like the times they remember with rose-tinted glasses. poo poo's different now, if you hate it so much go take up pottery or something.

Yeah guess what I'm not a Square-Enix shareholder so none of that means poo poo to me nor should it to you

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jintor posted:

The 'events trigger on proximity' thing is a little wonky still. I swear to god Dahlia had her meeting with Helmut but moments afterwards I triggered the end of the show and he was somehow waiting at the end of the catwalk to go on. Still, I'm not entirely certain it was Helmut in the room with Dahlia, so idunno.
It could have been the Sheikh, he pops into Dahlia's room every once in a while.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Game development is cheap and easy, and developers are just lazy and not giving us hardcore gamers what we're entitled to, I've heard.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Jintor posted:

Vic will even call Dahlia if he meets Valerie.

Even if she's dead.

Probably was. He's the only one that looks like him. Probably goes back to modeling after the meeting.

Who's Valerie again?

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Probably was. He's the only one that looks like him. Probably goes back to modeling after the meeting.

Who's Valerie again?

some editor lady. the news report mentions her at the beginning if you don't screw up their shot.

they chat for a bit and she mentions she's discovered the auction which freaks victor out a bit

Accordion Man posted:

It could have been the Sheikh, he pops into Dahlia's room every once in a while.

oh cool. I've never seen him out of his room.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jintor posted:

some editor lady. the news report mentions her at the beginning if you don't screw up their shot.

they chat for a bit and she mentions she's discovered the auction which freaks victor out a bit

oh cool. I've never seen him out of his room.

He heads up to the auction eventually if you take long enough (or maybe it's triggered by you getting up there another way - I'm not sure). I actually had no idea where to find him for a while and the only times I'd even seen him were up at the auction area.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Mandrel posted:

Yeah guess what I'm not a Square-Enix shareholder so none of that means poo poo to me nor should it to you

Cause and effect and the reality of a business that has changed dramatically over the past decade shouldn't mean poo poo to me because I don't own shares in a company?

I might have been too generous when I used the word "dense".

Moartoast posted:

There's still a shitload to criticize in this game, especially on the technical side

Yeah, no kidding. I've just had this happen to me, and it's not a one-off, either. It seems to be 100% replicable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbY3Lnmw3SU

Trying to kill Sebastian Sato (the fashion dude) and hide his body without being caught for one of the challenges. A stylist will see you right through the mirrors and the wall every time. I dragged the body through a door, across the hallway, through another door, down a flight of stairs and stashed it in a closet in the basement. She sees that, too. Instantly. Through several walls and the floor. Every time. Thankfully there's another way to pull it off.

There's definitely sound problems, and the game runs a little worse than I'd expect it to. There's also some weird hitching problem where every now and then, the game will freeze a few times for seconds at a time, then go back to normal. I get the feeling it's a streaming issue, but I don't know for sure. Overall, though the core design of the game is great, and very promising.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mr Scumbag posted:

Cause and effect and the reality of a business that has changed dramatically over the past decade shouldn't mean poo poo to me because I don't own shares in a company?

I might have been too generous when I used the word "dense".

Yeah, no kidding. I've just had this happen to me, and it's not a one-off, either. It seems to be 100% replicable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbY3Lnmw3SU

Trying to kill Sebastian Sato (the fashion dude) and hide his body without being caught for one of the challenges. A stylist will see you right through the mirrors and the wall every time. I dragged the body through a door, across the hallway, through another door, down a flight of stairs and stashed it in a closet in the basement. She sees that, too. Instantly. Through several walls and the floor. Every time. Thankfully there's another way to pull it off.

There's definitely sound problems, and the game runs a little worse than I'd expect it to. There's also some weird hitching problem where every now and then, the game will freeze a few times for seconds at a time, then go back to normal. I get the feeling it's a streaming issue, but I don't know for sure. Overall, though the core design of the game is great, and very promising.

Huh? I didn't kill Sato but I did subdue him, to get Viktor out onto the stage (as it turned out; I was just doing it because I thought it would be funny :v:), and no one noticed. Don't think I got a Challenge credit for it either, though?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Huh? I didn't kill Sato but I did subdue him, to get Viktor out onto the stage (as it turned out; I was just doing it because I thought it would be funny :v:), and no one noticed. Don't think I got a Challenge credit for it either, though?

You specifically have to kill him for the challenge credit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You specifically have to kill him for the challenge credit.

Aaaawwww, he was right there, I could have snapped his neck! But he wasn't a target! That would be improper.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As a person who has been a guard, I can't really criticize guard behavior that much.
Sure, I would probably raise an alarm over some of the stuff, but the people I worked with, probably not.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
what really sucks is the departure from the gun fetishising from the old hitman games that eventually lead to customisation in blood money, now its assets from deus ex

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I just hope I get that sniper rifle briefcase eventually

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

s0m3 guy posted:

what really sucks is the departure from the gun fetishising from the old hitman games that eventually lead to customisation in blood money, now its assets from deus ex

Poorly done assets. The iron sights on agent 47s weapons are backwards, with the front post mounted where the peep should be and vice versa.

That said, I really enjoyed figuring out how to get SA suit only with a minimum of sneaking. I pulled the fire alarm near the public bathrooms, then ran to the stairs under the grand staircase and hid in the basement tunnel. Beaned novikovs guard with a thrown pipe, then gave his principal three .45s to the back. Hid them in a crate in that tunnel, then made my way up to the auction to meet miss margolis as "mr. Reaper". Then I walked past the usher into the attic to make my way to the upstairs bathroom where dalia makes her call to a friend about Reaper, and strangled her. Then it was all over past putter her in a cupboard and making my way back downstairs. A lot easier than the previous ways I was trying to do it, getting Novikov alone by poisoning him took a ton of sneaking.

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 15, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jintor posted:

Not only that Valerie is the person that left the IAGO invitation in the bathroom, you can find her right outside the bathroom arguing with one of her co-workers to use said invitation to sneak into the auction in order find stuff to blackmail Viktor with to save their struggling magazine. Valerie already sent up another spy, Dahlia's assistant that hangs around her office. It's brought up in the aforementioned conversation and you can also find this out if you crash Dahlia's computer with the dongle you find, the guard on the office balcony realizes that the assistant is the spy and is now totally screwed thanks to you and he gets her safely out of there.

There's a bunch of interconnected poo poo you can totally miss, its pretty rad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I suspect that most of the detection and behavior bugs are actually symptoms of the same root problem-they share common features. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Is there a decent way to get rid of Dahlia's bodyguard? I want to do the challenge where you snap her neck when she's fixing the laptop but he stands there looking at her the whole time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Veotax posted:

Is there a decent way to get rid of Dahlia's bodyguard? I want to do the challenge where you snap her neck when she's fixing the laptop but he stands there looking at her the whole time.
Dress up as the Sheikh or a CICADA bodyguard and lure him into Dahlia's bathroom when the two of them are in her room. You'll have to take care of the guard in her room first but there's enough distractions in the bathroom to do it. Alternatively just rush your way into the attic and climb into the bathroom through there.

Bathrooms are a hitman's best friend.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 15, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Dress up as the Sheikh or a CICADA bodyguard and lure him into Dahlia's bathroom when the two of them are in her room. You'll have to take care of the guard in her room first but there's enough distractions in the bathroom to do it. Alternatively just rush your way into the attic and climb into the bathroom through there.

Bathrooms are a hitman's best friend.

Hahaha I was doing this last night, I think I ended up with four or five bodies in that bathroom!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Turning on the Clock Radio in the bathroom seems to attract the Sheikh's attention for some reason, even though he is nowhere near the bathroom and takes quite a long time to reach it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's also a radio lying around that you can pick up that doesn't have a proper asset name attached to it

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Blowing up both targets at once in their safe room is very satisfying I have to say. Although even that hit ultimately relied on bathrooms (had to use the emetic to get Victors bodyguard alone to get his phone).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Accordion Man posted:

Not only that Valerie is the person that left the IAGO invitation in the bathroom, you can find her right outside the bathroom arguing with one of her co-workers to use said invitation to sneak into the auction in order find stuff to blackmail Viktor with to save their struggling magazine.

I found her right away, but for some reason when she went to the bathroom the invitation she's supposed to have or was supposed to be going to retrieve was in the adjacent bathroom and not the one she went in. I don't know if that was intentional or not because I didn't give her a chance to do anything, I just choked her out hoping that the IAGO invitation would be on her. It was only after I left that I checked the next bathroom to find it lying on the sink.

Veotax posted:

I did it the risky and stupid way by first taking out that guard in the waiting room (with the window leading to the lights), then when Dahlia and the bodyguard were exiting the room to go back to the auction I just choked him out and stuffed him in the closet. She made her rounds without ever noticing that her bodyguard vanished.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I don't want to be a dick, but can we all agree that discussing ways of killing targets and unique ways of using interactible objects are spoilers and should be tagged appropriately?

The whole thing about Hitman (ESPECIALLY this Hitman with it's episodic model and map size/scripting) is that it's really replayable because of the amount of experimentation and discovery, and reading through the thread casually only to glance over a cool way to kill a target kinda robs people of the sense of discovery or thought process that goes into figuring it out for themselves.

Yes, they aren't traditional spoilers, but Hitman isn't a traditional game. It's one of the most sandboxy games ever made and the story has never really mattered compared to the gameplay. It makes sense to tag anything related to the assassinations or the interactable objects, because once you know all about those things, there's nothing left to discover.