Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just finished marathonning Agent Carter and can vouch for breezy fun. However I think the show would easily be bad if not for the cast, Atwell in particular just does great work with what little it tends to give her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I like Agent Carter but 90% of it is I like watching Hayley Attwell do things. Bonus points if it's punching mooks.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Holy poo poo - Marvel & Netflix just announced their plans for after the Defenders:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/daredevil/marvel/netflix-announce-moon-knight-and-more-for-2017-and-beyond-a118017

Moon Knight, Brother Voodoo, Ms Marvel, Spiderman 2099, and Punisher

If the current shows are gonna all keep getting more seasons too, there's gonna be a LOT of superhero shows going on...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JohnnySmitch posted:

Holy poo poo - Marvel & Netflix just announced their plans for after the Defenders:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/daredevil/marvel/netflix-announce-moon-knight-and-more-for-2017-and-beyond-a118017

If the current shows are gonna all keep getting more seasons too, there's gonna be a LOT of superhero shows going on...

BURBANK, Calif., April. 1, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

JohnnySmitch posted:

Soothing Vapors posted:

goons: the most gullible creatures

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I like Agent Carter but 90% of it is I like watching Hayley Attwell do things. Bonus points if it's punching mooks.

Pretty much. That and I will watch anything Bridget Regan appears on.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
damnit that's what I get for believing my facebook feed

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Netflix presents: Marvel's Moon Knight: Episodes 1-3*

*Plus 17 minutes of footage from a 4th episode, but Moon Knight is really hard to write, y'all.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

BURBANK, Calif., April. 1, 2015

this is why april fools is terrible and gently caress these people.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

marvel is not dumb enough to use 'brother voodoo' as the name of a black character in media they're actually expecting people to pay attention to

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

HIJK posted:

The main difference between Agent Carter and SHIELD is that SHIELD tries to work around it's limitations (budget, sets, being on ABC) whereas Agent Carter embraces the limitations and creates big goofy fun out of them.

The main similarity is that they are both the best super hero comic book show.

Along with flash arrow legends of tomorrow daredevil Jessica jones and powers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brother Entropy posted:

marvel is not dumb enough to use 'brother voodoo' as the name of a black character in media they're actually expecting people to pay attention to

I mean, they're doing Black Panther in an age when saying "Black Lives Matter" is enough to get middle class whites all panicked.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Preview clip of a Yakuza fight.

It's...uh...it's not that good? :sweatdrop: I feel like portions of it got cut out or something. I dunno. Is it the choreography itself? Something seems off about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Pretty sure "grimdark" was made as a word to describe Warhammer 40k and other such parodies and is never meant to be taken seriously.

...is that not what I said?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Snak posted:

...is that not what I said?

Some of it, but not all of it. Also, I failed to see that you said it was made up specifically for Warhammer 40k. So, there's that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BrianWilly posted:

It's...uh...it's not that good? :sweatdrop: I feel like portions of it got cut out or something. I dunno. Is it the choreography itself? Something seems off about it.

50 second fight, looked fine to me.
Could do with more billy club ricochets though!

Deakul fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 14, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

No, I feel you. The cadence seems off, and the hits lack impact.

Not a patch on the original season's fight choreography IMO.

edit: yeah, just watched the dock fight in episode 1 of the first season. He clinches and grapples, has footwork, blocks, slips and ducks like a proper fighter, and throws punches and elbows that look like they would actually do damage. And when he gets hit, he reacts like he's been hit, even if he manages to get an arm in the way or something. In all, it's obviously not real, but it looks pretty authentic.

This new choreography is a bit, dare I say it, Joss Whedony. Lots of lovely low impact backfists and other various spinny poo poo, absolutely zero footwork (Daredevil is seriously off balance for a lot of the fight), and landed but blocked blows don't seem to have any affect on either of the protagonists. It just doesn't look right.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 14, 2016

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

I've never heard of "AOL.", is this a new online news outlet of some kind I should be following? They seem to get some neat-o exclusives!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Four Score posted:

I've never heard of "AOL.", is this a new online news outlet of some kind I should be following? They seem to get some neat-o exclusives!

They are pretty cool, I can get you an AOL disk if you're interested.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Steven S. DeKnight is the dude behind Starz's Spartacus and 100% the reason the fights had such attention paid to them before. I've been expecting the action to be a step down ever since I heard he was leaving the show, so no surprise here.

e: amusingly enough for the dude comparing the new clip to Whedony fights: before Spartacus DeKnight had basically worked on only Buffy (even wrote S8 comics), Angel, Dollhouse and like Smallville.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The dude has a handle, it's right there next to my post. So rude!

Also, ninja please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8IGDSMqPIk&t=10s

I rest my case. The backfist ratio in Buffy is like 5000% or something.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I wouldn't read too much into that single fight clip. It's still a decent scrap, but it's clearly different because it has to frame two expert fighters delivering a flawless smackdown rather than a single dude in a messier brawl as in S1. As we've seen from the other trailers, DD is going to be on the receiving end of some serious beatdowns so I'll wait to see if those match S1 before hitting the panic button.

3 more days guys.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Parkingtigers posted:

I wouldn't read too much into that single fight clip. It's still a decent scrap, but it's clearly different because it has to frame two expert fighters delivering a flawless smackdown rather than a single dude in a messier brawl as in S1. As we've seen from the other trailers, DD is going to be on the receiving end of some serious beatdowns so I'll wait to see if those match S1 before hitting the panic button.

3 more days guys.

I'm not too fussed either way. Just glad the show is back soon.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

BSam posted:

They are pretty cool, I can get you an AOL disk if you're interested.

A... disk? But where would I put it in my computer??

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Four Score posted:

A... disk? But where would I put it in my computer??

Funny enough, that's exactly what all the grandpas said the first time.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
New Daredevil trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMC7H23-sMs

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gyges posted:

Funny enough, that's exactly what all the grandpas said the first time.

Put in the cup holder, obviously.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Christ I'll be happy when this loving advertising blitz is over.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I'm digging the Hand emphasis, though it might not be to the taste of everyone who preferred the more grounded focus of S1.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

S1 still laid ground work for less grounded elements with Nobu, Black Sky and Madame Gao.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

notthegoatseguy posted:

S1 still laid ground work for less grounded elements with Nobu, Black Sky and Madame Gao.

Sure, but for 90% of S1, the tone was so quasi-realistic that less grounded elements like Black Sky and Nobu showing up in a bright red ninja outfit with CG chain weaponry felt pretty out of place to me. Gao less so, as the supernatural angle to her was just implied.

YMMV, though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Did they tweak the costume at all? I hope so because the reveal in season 1 was a genuine weak spot. It looks like they did but I haven't seen a clear shot of it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'll be interested to see how much the Punisher figures in as opposed to the Hand, and what it's going to take for Punisher to end up on Daredevil and Elektra's side. Aren't Daredevil and Punisher normally fairly bitter enemies in the comics? For all that season 1 emphasized that killing wasn't the solution to saving Hell's Kitchen, Punisher doesn't seem like a guy you want in your corner unless you're setting out to kill [lots of] someone[s].

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I'll be interested to see how much the Punisher figures in as opposed to the Hand, and what it's going to take for Punisher to end up on Daredevil and Elektra's side. Aren't Daredevil and Punisher normally fairly bitter enemies in the comics? For all that season 1 emphasized that killing wasn't the solution to saving Hell's Kitchen, Punisher doesn't seem like a guy you want in your corner unless you're setting out to kill [lots of] someone[s].

They're definitely not friends but they don't hate each other. It's more analogous to an anime rivalry where they respect each others abilities and measure themselves against each other.

In the comics Matt can usually convince Frank to use rubber bullets and no grenades.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cythereal posted:

Aren't Daredevil and Punisher normally fairly bitter enemies in the comics?

Read Miller, Bendis and Brubaker's run. Punisher and DD want the same things but conflict about the means. Kingpin too, at least the way he was portrayed in season 1. It's the whole "we're not so different, you and I" trope.

Short version is that DD and Punisher are enemies because one just wants to just murder everyone and the other one settles for simply beating the poo poo out of them and then taking them to court where he can use his blind lawyer power to tell who is lying under oath, etc. So because Frank Castle just flat out shoots mother fuckers and Matt Murdock won't cross that line, then Frank and Matt are enemies.

Matt Murdock ultimately believes in the law. Castle does not.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 15, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HIJK posted:

They're definitely not friends but they don't hate each other. It's more analogous to an anime rivalry where they respect each others abilities and measure themselves against each other.

In the comics Matt can usually convince Frank to use rubber bullets and no grenades.

I assume Frank still uses rubber coated steel bullets, and aims for the head while tossing out concussion grenades and flash bangs like candy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Gyges posted:

I assume Frank still uses rubber coated steel bullets, and aims for the head while tossing out concussion grenades and flash bangs like candy.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Gyges posted:

I guess? Comic book land is a place where you can precisely control violence enough so that you don't murder anyone if your heart is pure enough. It's about ~symbolism~.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

HIJK posted:

I guess? Comic book land is a place where you can precisely control violence enough so that you don't murder anyone if your heart is pure enough. It's about ~symbolism~.
Well, the Hulk apparently doesn't kill any civilians in his rampages, so anything's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm still a bit baffled that they cranked out Daredevil Season 2 before finishing up the initial run of series' that were announced from Day 1...but what do I know? I guess DD did SO well that they had to follow it up.