Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

sliderule posted:

So my wife and I set down Huniepop to play Gems of War, and right off the bat we had enemies not matching skulls. So I look for the "hard mode" option like Puzzle Quest had, and I have to grind 50 levels before I can do that? WTF?

I'm level 20 and I still see enemies not matching skulls regularly, except in one boss fight where the number 1 unit had 0 attack. Of course, then the AI can't stop matching skulls, allowing me to leave skulls on the board and deny mana for his devastating spells.

Also, the RNG is super gently caress you. I unlocked 2 good blues and 1 awesome purple (Tau) in the first hour of gameplay, but my wife got thrown nothing but whites and greens. My game was super easy, and hers was tedious.

At least we can get sort of the same experience in the drafted Arena mode, which is okay for loot if you get a decent draft.

The eff two penis of the game doesn't really grate on me that much, with the exception of not knowing where the best place to spend gold is.
Gems of War is fun, it gets more interesting when you start putting teams together that sync up well. The game thread is pretty helpful for starting out and your "what do I spend gold on first" questions, and you should join one of the goon guilds for free everything given to you constantly. I dig the game because it's a fun enough puzzle quest with decent variety and despite being F2P, you really don't have to spend anything on it to do well and enjoy the game. It helps that you can play it on mobile too with the same account.

Palpek posted:

I'm eagerly waiting for somebody to declare they're going to play Greed: Black Border or Sacred 3 for the arpg month :allears:.
I already beat Greed: Black Border, and could write it up probably. It's amazingly not that terrible actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Awesome! posted:

and other times...?

other times its the Dark Souls of cigar cutters

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Quest For Glory II posted:

i recently played the first serious sam and its not very fun either

i like serious sam: the second encounter, serious sam 3 is just lame. there's a period right in the middle where the game actually is fun to play but then the enemy design takes a massive poo poo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

i recently played the first serious sam and its not very fun either

I'd agree, personally, but it's still a loooot better than SS3.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
serious sam: the first encounter is alright but it suffers a bit from all the environments looking the same

second encounter is cool because it actually has color and variety

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

serious sam is at it's best when you have a stupid amount of friends playing with you with maximum enemy spawns enabled

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Serious Sam 2, outside of its vehicle sections, is better than Serious Sam 3. Which is really saying something. Serious Sam 2 is dumb wacky idiocy but the game outside of its visual aesthetics and dialogue works fine. I had fun with some of SS3 as well but it really suffers from some bad design in weapon and enemy design.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It might just be the era it came out in (2001) but the first Serious Sam was just such a breath of fresh air. Huge, open (boring) environments, and tonnes of noisy kill crazy monsters and ridiculous weapons for enormous megadeath scenarios. It wasn't deep or compelling by any means, but hearing a chorus of kamikaze screams after a door opened or something definitely got the blood pumping.

The gameplay didn't really change as time went on, but gamers tastes kind of did. In my mind Painkiller took over the Eastern European interesting non-ID shooter crown a couple years later.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the level design in SS1 is really boring, and the weapons feel like total poo poo. that's the worst thing, it's a game about shooting millions of enemies and it feels terrible to play

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

get ready for a whole game of this poo poo when Quantum Break comes to a windows pc near you
So no-one will see any of it until about 3+ years after it's come out?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
As I've said before, in Serious Sam 3 they start out doing a joke about modern shooters (ala the Duty Calls parody that Bulletstorm did), but instead of limiting it to a couple levels of generic hitscan soldier enemies in a generic ruined cityscape, the "joke" never ends.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Palpek posted:

It's a thick piece of plastic with rounded edges, not a penis guillotine.

That's what they said about the "Whoa Nelly" Brand of condoms, buddy. There's a reason they discontinued the line.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

C.M. Kruger posted:

As I've said before, in Serious Sam 3 they start out doing a joke about modern shooters (ala the Duty Calls parody that Bulletstorm did), but instead of limiting it to a couple levels of generic hitscan soldier enemies in a generic ruined cityscape, the "joke" never ends.

the joke does end, and what they replace it with is fun, until it's not

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I confess, I laughed when they dropped one kleer on you in the first level like some kind of boss. Goddamn loving piece of poo poo kleers....

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Croccers posted:

So no-one will see any of it until about 3+ years after it's come out?
It's actually getting a simultaneous release with the Bone version, but its Windows 10 Store exclusive. So yeah...

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Xaris posted:

:agreed: I mentioned before it was my first refund because it loving sucks and is a terrible game. It's also a terrible iOS port if that helps make sense of why it's such a clunky bad game.

I hope people didn't buy HB just for it

Thanks for this post, I was literally at check out and only gave a poo poo about Oceanhorn. The trailer really does make it look like a Zelda game with a pretty good soundtrack.

Ok so my other options are a ton of Star Wars games on the other bundle, are any of these fun? Controller supported? I only really gave a poo poo about the Gamecube games when it comes to any of them.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Colonel posted:

the joke does end, and what they replace it with is fun, until it's not

When does the joke end?

Seriously, I've been playing it in short bursts and don't know if I'm past it or not.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Odallus currently on sale at GOG

http://www.gog.com/game/odallus_the_dark_call?pp=a93c168323147d1135503939396cac628dc194c5

€4.49 66% off

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

the level design in SS1 is really boring, and the weapons feel like total poo poo. that's the worst thing, it's a game about shooting millions of enemies and it feels terrible to play
The only thing it's got going for is co-op. While that's pretty fun, if you want to play a good arena shooter, just go with Painkiller.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

extra stout posted:

Thanks for this post, I was literally at check out and only gave a poo poo about Oceanhorn. The trailer really does make it look like a Zelda game with a pretty good soundtrack.

Ok so my other options are a ton of Star Wars games on the other bundle, are any of these fun? Controller supported? I only really gave a poo poo about the Gamecube games when it comes to any of them.
Can you still use the Humble Bundle slider to give all the money to charity (I haven't bought a bundle in awhile there). If so, do that, charity is always good. But I wouldn't even bother installing it personally.

It also might be worth getting for Shadowrun: Dragonfall if you've never played it because that's an excellent game.

SW: Knights of the Old Republic 2 is pretty good (and theres a mod that fixes a lot of things). LEGO Star Wars were pretty fun but a little dated compared to new LEGO games which have improved a lot.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 15, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

jetz0r posted:

When does the joke end?

Seriously, I've been playing it in short bursts and don't know if I'm past it or not.

around, like, the fifth level

there's a middle period of the game where it actually throws fun enemies at you, but it's very brief and ends when they introduce the witch bride

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Far Cry 4 is $12:australia: on Aus uPlay at the moment.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i like serious sam: the second encounter, serious sam 3 is just lame. there's a period right in the middle where the game actually is fun to play but then the enemy design takes a massive poo poo
Is it those stupid loving space monkeys
What the hell were they thinking with those?!
Oh you answered above. Yeah that counts too.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Am I really the only one who thought Serious Sam 3 was a fun shooter all the way from the beginning to the final boss fight?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

It's actually getting a simultaneous release with the Bone version, but its Windows 10 Store exclusive. So yeah...

And the cutscenes on the PC version stream from the internet because they're 4k and Microsoft doesn't think people would stomach a 170 GB download.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Fart of Presto posted:

Am I really the only one who thought Serious Sam 3 was a fun shooter all the way from the beginning to the final boss fight?

yes

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fart of Presto posted:

Nah, I had a lot of fun with it.

Then again, I played it with 15 others from start to finish.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

I also enjoyed it all the way but it had some real pain in the rear end enemies.
And the early sections just made me feel so underpowered compared to the rest of the game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Scaramouche posted:

It might just be the era it came out in (2001) but the first Serious Sam was just such a breath of fresh air. Huge, open (boring) environments, and tonnes of noisy kill crazy monsters and ridiculous weapons for enormous megadeath scenarios. It wasn't deep or compelling by any means, but hearing a chorus of kamikaze screams after a door opened or something definitely got the blood pumping.

The gameplay didn't really change as time went on, but gamers tastes kind of did. In my mind Painkiller took over the Eastern European interesting non-ID shooter crown a couple years later.

Serious Sam has a very special place in my heart because my dad, who almost never plays videogames, loved it so much that for years he would bring the CD with him on business trips so he could play it on his laptop :3:

C.M. Kruger posted:

Croteam was working on an unnamed military shooter set in the middle east that they cancelled because investors pulled out, SS3's setting isn't so much a joke as it is them recycling a ton of content from a dead project. I'm pretty sure at once point TCRF had documented a bunch of leftovers from that game still in SS3's files but it's not on the page now for whatever reason.

Hypha posted:

I confess, I laughed when they dropped one kleer on you in the first level like some kind of boss. Goddamn loving piece of poo poo kleers....

In The Talos Principle there's one fakeout where you leave a puzzle and you hear the "AAAAAAAA" kamikaze yell from SS in the distance and a hologram is running at you before being smited by Elohim, it's amazing.

Xaris posted:

Can you still use the Humble Bundle slider to give all the money to charity (I haven't bought a bundle in awhile there). If so, do that, charity is always good. But I wouldn't even bother installing it personally.

Yes, and now you can actually choose your own charity from a list of hundreds instead of just having it all going to whatever dumb charity they've partnered with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

extra stout posted:

None of them are bad. Some of them are fantastic.

Rebellion, XvT and Galactic Battlegrounds are a bit derivative, but okay. Unless you have infinite free time you could probably skip them. X-Wing and TIE Fighter are classic space sims, but the Steam versions aren't the best ones around (GOG has them). Even allowing for that they're still good, as is X-Wing Alliance. KOTOR and KOTOR 2 are classic western RPGs. Dark Forces, Jedi Knight and Battlefront are all good shooters from their respective eras (10, 15, and 20 years old; my god has it been that long?). Empire at War is like a Total War game in space, and is pretty decent. Star Wars LEGO is great if you want fun, non-serious local co-op. Other LEGO games have been better, but it's still good fun.

Not sure which ones have controller support outside of LEGO.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Anybody else had the problem where Steam keeps stopping and starting downloads randomly and not actually writing anything to disk? I just want to play Hotline Miami :( I've tried restarting, and changing download location to no avail.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yep I get that occasionally too and it's loving annoying. Nothing I've found fixed it, just depends on the day and whether steam wants to behave really. On the plus side I switched my download location from London to Amsterdam and I'm getting significantly higher speeds now, even though I live in the west of England!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sleeveless posted:

Serious Sam has a very special place in my heart because
I played it co-op with my brother on the same screen and same keyboard. It's also great for ridiculous numbers of enemies, like it's you vs a riot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serious Sam 3 may be underwhelming but Serious Sam Double D is fun as hell.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

Serious Sam 3 may be underwhelming but Serious Sam Double D is fun as hell.
This, Double D is a fun game with a neat art style.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne2IGHLE7xY

I don't know who does Croteam's videos but they're consistently entertaining to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLf-0KhTyxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6vaSJpx0D4

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeN94Maj2gY

Such a good commercial I had to name my EVE corp after it.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
So, what's the deal with Mind Zero? I'm kinda interested but I'm hearing lots of horror stories about the UI, like to use the mouse to navigate the menu you have to keep the left button down. Is it true? Can someone who has played it tell me if this game is worth the price?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a dungeon crawler that really loving wants to be Persona 3 or 4, has no personality of its own and ends on a cliffhanger and is never getting a sequel. I haven't played the Steam version but I can't imagine it improves it any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've been waffling on the dumb Star Wars bundle and it's almost over. I've always wanted to play Tie Fighter and X Wing, but how playable are they without a joystick? That's the only thing holding me back, since I probably won't buy one.

• Locked thread