Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

willroc7 posted:

I'm in Ohio and trying to sell a set of B8 S4 18x8 wheels if you're interested...

Better get that front plate on, mister

Actually I drove without a front plate between the ages of 16 and 20 or so and was only ever given a warning about it at a dui checkpoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Dr.Caligari posted:

Better get that front plate on, mister

Actually I drove without a front plate between the ages of 16 and 20 or so and was only ever given a warning about it at a dui checkpoint
Hell naw gently caress the police :feelsgood:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

fyodor posted:

"Performance"? Yikes.

lol yea um,

Christobevii3 posted:

Anyone suspension setup tips for fwd veloster? I have camber plates now. I also debating on settings of sway bar, seems MacPherson are OK with heavier sway. Maybe 1.5-1.75 negative front and 1 negative rear

Rear has 1/8" toe in from factory, 0 up front. Thinking about doing 1/16 toe out front, 0 in rear.

Got some kumho v720s on spare wheels to try this weekend at auto cross too. Should be major improvement over daily kumho Les.

Christobevii3 posted:

What does bottoming out have to do with alignment...but ok?

In a hurry after work I got my camber plates on and just maxed them out (negative 3 camber for autocross) and kumho v720 tires/wheels on. Holy poo poo is this thing a blast and darty now. You can do a u turn like a gokart. I'll hopefully have good weather and can mark a -1.0-1.5 daily and -3.0 match for autocross.

I wouldn't listen to this guy about cars.

Has any information leaked about the next WRX/STi coming after the Impreza gets its new platform in 2017?

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 12, 2016

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Bought a 2016 GTI a few weeks ago. I've always liked the look. I've owned a Subaru, Honda and Nissan.

The GTI is more than the sum of it's parts and I am appreciating it more and more every time I drive it. It's a slick machine.

If you are quibbling over the extra cash all I can say is I did that and it's how I ended up driving a Nissan Juke for a couple years. Don't do that to yourself, spend the little bit extra if the GTI is what you want.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Wheeee posted:

lol yea um,

I wouldn't listen to this guy about cars.

Has any information leaked about the next WRX/STi coming after the Impreza gets its new platform in 2017?

If it makes you feel better have it measured at -1.5 camber today and -3/8" toe now that my tools came in. I'll be working on that tomorrow weather permitting. I was trying to settle the springs the other day until my camber and toe could be checked.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I don't know what VW did with the black paint on the 2016s, but that poo poo is super super thin. Even with Opticoat I'm getting tons of scratches. And they were also kind enough to use WHITE PRIMER under a god damned black paint. I will never own another black car. How much are full wraps?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

I don't know what VW did with the black paint on the 2016s, but that poo poo is super super thin. Even with Opticoat I'm getting tons of scratches. And they were also kind enough to use WHITE PRIMER under a god damned black paint. I will never own another black car. How much are full wraps?

First week with my 2013 and I already had tons of chips including one really big one on the hood. Opticoat didn't really help much.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Is there any way that these cars are driven a bit less sedately than their pedestrian counterparts and thus speed + rock + any car = chip?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fyodor posted:

Is there any way that these cars are driven a bit less sedately than their pedestrian counterparts and thus speed + rock + any car = chip?

Probably, but I always make sure to stay way back from them until I can make a quick move to get in front of them. In many circumstances there is no way to avoid these dicks. As even keeping a solid 10+ car length gap you can still hear the front of the car being sanded down.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've somehow made it 10k miles on my 2016 white GTI with a single rock chip on the front bumper. I also haven't washed it in the entire time I've owned it, I figure the built up layer of poo poo is protecting it at this point. :effort:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 14, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fyodor posted:

People seem to think German Car = Performance.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rhyno posted:

People seem to think German Car = Performance.

Well, I meant R/GTI vs Golf, ST vs SE Ford, etc.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I've somehow made it 10k miles on my 2016 white GTI with a single rock chip on the front bumper. I also haven't washed it in the entire time I've owned it, I figure the built up layer of poo poo is protecting it at this point. :effort:

I would love to hear your thoughts on the car. I am trying to resist getting a GTI/R but I think it is futile. I think a GTI S with PP and Lighting is what I want to get (with DSG). I've only heard good things about them. The R is intriguing too, but I don't know if it's worth another $8k (to me).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fyodor posted:

Well, I meant R/GTI vs Golf, ST vs SE Ford, etc.

I know someone with a rusty Jetta that thinks it's a sports car.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What's the deal with RS availability? Can anyone test drive one soon or will it be preorder only nonsense forever.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Pryor on Fire posted:

What's the deal with RS availability? Can anyone test drive one soon or will it be preorder only nonsense forever.

My dealer said that they're full on pre-orders for the year but they'll go into general production in December, so maybe not until then unless you've got a friend getting one.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Night Danger Moose posted:

My dealer said that they're full on pre-orders for the year but they'll go into general production in December, so maybe not until then unless you've got a friend getting one.

My ST is still king of the Focus for another year! Hail!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radiohead71 posted:

I would love to hear your thoughts on the car. I am trying to resist getting a GTI/R but I think it is futile. I think a GTI S with PP and Lighting is what I want to get (with DSG). I've only heard good things about them. The R is intriguing too, but I don't know if it's worth another $8k (to me).

Mine is a base four door with a catless DP and JB1 tune box - somewhere around 290whp. The stock clutch is poo poo until you remove the restrictor in the hydraulic line ($free) and it likes to wheelhop until you stick a 034 Motorsports dogbone insert in. It's everything I wanted in a daily driver.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Rock chip talk - I had less rock chips in 12 years of driving a 2000 Accord (80 miles a day) than I have in 6 months of ownership of a 2007 GTI.
Same roads. It's like a magnet and every little stone seems to chip the paint. The bigger ones leave gouges.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It's the water based paint they have to use now. It's absolute poo poo.

As for the GTI/R debate. Things to consider.

The R gets you leather by default.
The R gets the HID lighting package.
The R has a bigger turbo and different head and comes with as much power as a tuned GTI
The R has AWD so you don't just burn the front tires off when trying to launch
The R is still made in Germany (for now)

The GTI can be haggled down
The GTI can be bought 2 door
The GTI can be bought with a sunroof
The GTI can be bought with plaid seats

For me, the R was worth the extra money simply because I don't plan to do much to the car until it is paid off. So the extra power stock and under warranty was a big thing. I also live where it snows, so the AWD was worth the extra money. When you fully spec out a GTI the price difference between it and the R gets much closer. But the GTI can be haggled and you likely won't have to wait 6 months to get it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
As for power a GTI you can get a JB1 piggyback and get a good 35-45hp. Its about a 15 minute install/removal and does not throw any codes like an actual tune will.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My JB1 has been great but when it's more than warm out (85+) and the car is heat soaked it will trigger limp mode when doing a hard pull in 2nd or 3rd, at least with a downpipe. The car requests more boost when it's hot out and with a DP / JB1 it will overshoot boost targets (fast spool) enough to peg the 3 bar map sensor and trigger the EPC light.

It's taking all of my restraint to not just drop an IS38 turbo in and tune it. The car already spins in 3rd occasionally but gently caress it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 15, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

As for power a GTI you can get a JB1 piggyback and get a good 35-45hp. Its about a 15 minute install/removal and does not throw any codes like an actual tune will.

You can do this to an R also :) Might pick one up down the line, but the car is already fast enough that I'm going to get a ticket soon if I don't watch it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Don Lapre posted:

An actual tune will not throw codes. You may be thinking of flash counters being incremented. If anything a tune often disables certain codes (many "off road use only" tunes make emissions-related checks always return "OK").

Piggyback devices are actually likely to cause codes themselves. They work by faking sensor inputs to trick the ECU in to responding in a way that increases power. On a modern turbocharged car that usually means making the ECU think the car's making less boost than it actually is. There's only a certain range where the ECU will be happy though, beyond that it'll think something is wrong. If real-world variance combines with the manipulation to push sensor values outside of the acceptable range, enjoy your new CEL. Even if it doesn't exceed the limits it still has a potential for unintended consequences because the real world conditions don't match what the ECU thinks it's dealing with. For example if the car thinks it's making less boost than it actually is it'll probably also be running leaner than intended.

A proper tune on the other hand has access to accurate data from all the sensors and instead can remap the response tables to get the desired result without trickery and thus will respond to real world changes more appropriately.

Those types of things are often claimed to be undetectable for warranty purposes as well, but I have a hard time believing that. A lot of OEMs have their ECUs set up to log sensor data when they detect a major event. If you damage an engine in a way that happens with increased boost but the log shows you were making less than expected I'd be surprised if they didn't investigate further. Depending on how it manipulates the data there might even be an obvious signature. BMW at least is well known for having routines in the ECU that check the plausibility of inputs in real-time and log hidden diagnostic codes that won't pop a CEL but will show up to the dealer's scanner. Not sure if VW does that yet, but it's definitely possible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
In terms of the MK7 GTI the JB1 hits the same AFR targets as stock (14.7 up to half load, unsure above that) and the tunes run it a little bit richer or in the case of APR FAR richer up top.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=216252&postcount=54

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 15, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

wolrah posted:

An actual tune will not throw codes. You may be thinking of flash counters being incremented. If anything a tune often disables certain codes (many "off road use only" tunes make emissions-related checks always return "OK").

Yea yea, i meant you can remove it, go in for warranty and there shouldn't be any sign. Which you could also do for a tune but its a lot more work.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They can still tell with some of the tunes, especially on the 2016 cars that have locked ECUs stock.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The paranoia is at record highs in the FiST/FoST community re: secret flash counters.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fyodor posted:

The paranoia is at record highs in the FiST/FoST community re: secret flash counters.

Eh, it's been a real thing with VAG for years. The TD1 flag is serious business if you blow a turbo or window the block.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fyodor posted:

I haven't heard of any secret counter talk, I know there's a "key on cycles since last flash" counter, is there supposedly something else now?

As for the detectability of these things for warranty purposes, it all comes down to what gets logged.

It's a safe bet these days that every ECU has some kind of flash counter, so unless that's been explicitly identified and defeated you should assume a flag has been set the second you flash a tune. As I mentioned earlier detecting a piggyback takes a bit more work, but if certain inputs are consistently out of the expected range again you should assume it'll be identified. The question is whether you can clear codes or disconnect the battery and clear these things out (which from a quick skim seems like is possible with the BMW "shadow codes" at least) or whether it writes to some nonvolatile memory that doesn't normally get cleared (or e-fuse which can't ever be cleared).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wolrah posted:

I haven't heard of any secret counter talk, I know there's a "key on cycles since last flash" counter, is there supposedly something else now?

As for the detectability of these things for warranty purposes, it all comes down to what gets logged.

It's a safe bet these days that every ECU has some kind of flash counter, so unless that's been explicitly identified and defeated you should assume a flag has been set the second you flash a tune. As I mentioned earlier detecting a piggyback takes a bit more work, but if certain inputs are consistently out of the expected range again you should assume it'll be identified. The question is whether you can clear codes or disconnect the battery and clear these things out (which from a quick skim seems like is possible with the BMW "shadow codes" at least) or whether it writes to some nonvolatile memory that doesn't normally get cleared (or e-fuse which can't ever be cleared).

Counters that have not been explicitly identified or, for short, secret counters.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I was a BMW warranty admin years ago right when they started putting turbos in everything and dont recall anybody ever getting hassled for any modifications or even any claims getting denied by BMW NA as a result, although im sure it does happen to people who abuse the system i think the whole fear is way overblown (no pun intended).

So yeah, this is also what I told myself today before ordering an AP and a filter from Mountune. Also my MBRP T304 exhaust has been on my FiST for a few days now and it sounds absolutely bonkers.

Just find a nice dealership that you trust to help you out, give your adviser a glowing CSI survey after every visit and I doubt they are going to bite the hand that feeds them unless they get pressure from above. Maybe keeping a low profile as well wouldnt hurt. Flat rate techs don't give a poo poo about your modz and aren't going to narc on you unless it makes their life harder or takes money out of their pocket and I really doubt they are ever going to go out of there way to play detective or open their mouth and talk their way out of an easy decent paying job then instead be given a panoramic sunroof on a Ford Flex or something else that sounds equally horrible :suicide:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 16, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Here's my Veloster Turbo R-spec 2016 results at latest autocross. I have strut brace, lowering springs, camber plates, and tires.

http://www.delta-scca.org/2016/03/14/march_results/

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm not sure how to read that, but it looks like Miata's are killing it. Also the FiST topped you...and the 2012 Camry :wink:

e; lol, the 81 Trans am is kind of a black sheep in that line up

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Christobevii3 posted:

Here's my Veloster Turbo R-spec 2016 results at latest autocross. I have strut brace, lowering springs, camber plates, and tires.

Good job Guillermo Marquez in your "Tampon Red" 2008 Bmw "M3 Replica."

edit: also, someone knows how to drive the poo poo out of a 2001 Saturn. :eyepop:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 16, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Christobevii3 posted:

Nice job :)

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Thanks! I have a cold air intake to put on and learn to drive still. The veloster r spec in 2016 gained 15hp vs the regular VT so don't poo poo on it too much!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Car's are being produced in Germany but have not begun to ship over yet. You won't be able to test drive one for quite a long while I imagine.

For chip talk, can I wrap my car and put opticoat on it? I want it to live in a bubble. For sure doing an autoflex wrap the day I take delivery just want to know what else I can do.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

fyodor posted:

Good job Guillermo Marquez in your "Tampon Red" 2008 Bmw "M3 Replica."

edit: also, someone knows how to drive the poo poo out of a 2001 Saturn. :eyepop:

Saturn SL2 Ladies and Gentlemen

https://www.google.com/search?q=sat...AUIBigB&dpr=0.9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Christobevii3 posted:

38 timed entries. That's like.. 1 run group! :v: