Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

It's legit so funny that the Heat traded up for Napier because Lebron got drunk and tweeted that. And then he bailed out of Miami a month later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Questions about Big 10 prospects:

Any chance AJ Hammons moves up / becomes a useful player? Right now most mocks I've seen put him early - mid 2nd round. Is he too slow for pace and space, or does size still count? I'm worried he'd be a Roy Hibbert with a slightly better touch

Is Indiana going to lose Thomas Bryant and / or Troy Williams? They're on some mocks in late 1st / early 2nd but completely missing from others. Losing those two plus Yogi graduating would be sweet.

Has Melo Trimble totally sunk his chances of leaving this year with this long-rear end slump he's in? And why is Diamond Stone so high on boards? He's a shorter Hammons with less range.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

PotatoJudge posted:

Any chance AJ Hammons moves up / becomes a useful player? Right now most mocks I've seen put him early - mid 2nd round. Is he too slow for pace and space, or does size still count? I'm worried he'd be a Roy Hibbert with a slightly better touch

Is Indiana going to lose Thomas Bryant and / or Troy Williams? They're on some mocks in late 1st / early 2nd but completely missing from others. Losing those two plus Yogi graduating would be sweet.

Has Melo Trimble totally sunk his chances of leaving this year with this long-rear end slump he's in? And why is Diamond Stone so high on boards? He's a shorter Hammons with less range.

Omer Asik was quick enough for pace and space in Houston. He was a very, very strong defensive rebounder and good outlet passer, though. Those are two attributes that really kick off the "pace" part of the equation.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

Diamond Stone is a way better offensive player than Hammons, especially when you consider that he's a lot younger and presumably has more room to grow and develop. I don't get the comparison between those two at all aside from both being tall guys from the Big Ten. Hammons has improved a lot offensively but Stone might be the best player in the conference on a per minute basis and he's only a true freshman. And I dunno about less range. He doesn't take a ton of jumpers but he's a really good free throw shooter which tends to be a good sign when it comes to projecting range at the next level. It's not like Hammons is drilling a ton of threes. He has a good percentage this year but he's shot 10 of them all season.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
About 2/3s of the Adriatic league needs to learn how to close out on three point shooters. I don't know how scouts scout players against these terrible defenses.

What are your opinions of Skal Labissiere? He's whiteside esque in his refusal to ever pass. He's clearly still learning and looks best when plays develop without him, to give him an extra beat to process what's going on and to use his stretchy popping body. He seems to mess up whenever he has to instantly react.

I'd be excited to draft him if I had a later lottery pick. He needs time.

Have you guys seen this silly thing
http://www.wired.com/2011/06/sports-aptitude-nba-draft/

quote:

A look at the report profile of one guard, who plays in the NBA’s Western Conference, displayed the myriad traits analyzed.

The report lists the player as being highly emotionally stable, highly relaxed, very practical, businesslike, perfectionistic, calm under pressure and lacking passion.

More categories delve deeper into the player’s personality. He’s measured by his capacity to negotiate (communication, not contracts), his problem-solving ability and his ability to motivate others. In all of these he scores as average.

Another layer of information shows the guard is composed, practical, not open to change and is not the voice of the group. His composure and professionalism make it seem as though he’s built to succeed in a competitive environment. Yet, his strengths don’t necessarily guarantee success.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Market-Watch-Will-Barton-5385/

quote:

The average person has around 60,000 thoughts per day. Which of these thoughts are turned to action is a byproduct of our tendencies when having internal dialogue on what to do. Collectively, we can surmise, 54% more of Barton's thoughts are given to passion, persistence, and a desire to prove himself.

That translates into over 32,000 more “personal pep talks” than the average NBA player, based on measurable data. Clearly a boon for staying prepared, this competitive mentality also carries over when on-court as well. If you estimate the average NBA game to last about two hours, that's 2,700 more self-affirmations in the face of adversity than the average player – enough to make Stuart Smalley proud.

If I was an agent and my player lost money based on this sort of complete pseudoscience personality assessment index I would explode like a voltorb.

Personality is an unchanging thing like height and not determined by context, role, health. You're 13 points too low in "non businesslike-ness" and 6 points too high in "capricity post-meal." Add that to your defaulting the control in the question about what you'd do if the seafood stand was out of crab, and we can't draft you higher than 21st.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 14, 2016

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well you do need to look at stuff like that, but personality does changed and you are not really who you are til bout 25. But this is getting a lil crazy.

Who jumps the most during the tourney this year? Or drops?

Im gonna say Trimble if MD goes far.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 14, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Kings have no guards. It sounds like there are a bunch of guard prospects but they sound to be all either combo-guards or junior/senior late bloomers. Do I want Buddy Hield? Jamal Murray? Will we have a chance at Jaylen Brown? Who is guaranteed not to be Ben McLemore or Sauce?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Buddy Hield is going to be good so you should want him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like Jamaal Murray and would take him top 5*. He's not a point guard in the slightest but dude can score and shoot and 6'5" is fine for a shooting guard.

Skal is still super raw but he looks a lot better lately and it seems like Cal is letting him show more flashes of the perimeter game he's supposed to have. He looked lost early on but lately you can at least kinda see what people saw in him. I think anywhere from 10 down he's worth a shot.

*1. Simmons
2. Ingram
3. Poeltl
4. Murray
5. Bender (I know almost literally nothing about Dragan Bender)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How high is Denzel Valentine going to go because of Draymond Green

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I can't believe that Sports Aptitude poo poo, clearly they don't know what they're talking about. Will Barton has persevered because he is a Capricorn, therefore ambitious and driven to succeed.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Have you guys seen this silly thing
http://www.wired.com/2011/06/sports-aptitude-nba-draft/

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Market-Watch-Will-Barton-5385/

If I was an agent and my player lost money based on this sort of complete pseudoscience personality assessment index I would explode like a voltorb.

This whole thing could be about Jimmer Fredette except without the happy ending

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The average person has around 60,000 thoughts per day. Which of these thoughts are turned to action is a byproduct of our tendencies when having internal dialogue on what to do. Collectively, we can surmise, 54% more of Barton's thoughts are given to passion, persistence, and a desire to prove himself.

That translates into over 32,000 more “personal pep talks” than the average NBA player, based on measurable data. Clearly a boon for staying prepared, this competitive mentality also carries over when on-court as well. If you estimate the average NBA game to last about two hours, that's 2,700 more self-affirmations in the face of adversity than the average player – enough to make Stuart Smalley proud.

^the worst thing i've ever read

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Are y'all sure that draft express article isn't just some Daily Currant-style bad satire that reads sincere? Everything about it is so preposterously stupid.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

How high is Denzel Valentine going to go because of Draymond Green

Mid-first depending on the tournament is what I've been seeing

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mid-first depending on the tournament is what I've been seeing
That's probably about right for him. He's skilled enough that he should eventually be a good NBA player, but he lacks the athleticism that is typically desired of a top pick. Now watch him turn out to be better than Draymond Green.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I have been hoping Murray falls to the Bucks and plays "pg" while Giannis runs the show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know people hate comparisons because it's kinda lazy, but does Jamal Murray compare to anybody specifically in the NBA?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Billups is who I have heard the most.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Row posted:

Interesting. Hopefully it doesn't take as long for him to find a good situation for himself.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hand Row posted:

Nah, he's not as good at running a team as Billups was. Maybe like Eric Gordon pre-injury problems?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
According to nbadraft.net, murray is jeff hornacek. Dont see it at all.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

According to nbadraft.net, murray is jeff hornacek. Dont see it at all.
lol at comparing a dude with a 40 inch vertical to Jeff Hornacek. From what I've seen there's not a very good comparison for Murray, maybe a better shooting OJ Mayo??. 6'4 guys who are both athletic and can shoot are fairly rare.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

lol at comparing a dude with a 40 inch vertical to Jeff Hornacek. From what I've seen there's not a very good comparison for Murray, maybe a better shooting OJ Mayo??. 6'4 guys who are both athletic and can shoot are fairly rare.f

If he has a 40 inch vert he doesn't play like it. Lack of explosiveness is probably his biggest weakness (that's not just me either, it's in literally every scouting report of him that's d I've seen), the Hornacek comparison actually isn't that bad. He doesnt get to the rim a ton (when he does drive he tends to settle for a little floater, which he's actually pretty good at) and his free throw rate is just so so. You very rarely see him get all the way to the hoop and finish over or through people. He and Kentucky exploded after Cal started playing him almost entirely off the ball, running him around a ton of screens, and letting him light it up from outside

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 15, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Just a reminder that Luke Babbitt tested as more athletic than Al Farouq Aminu but displays none of that athleticism in games.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently everyone is dumping SImmons (to #2 at least), citing lack of passion/motivation/The Look™. Can't really say I totally disagree, it could be a problem. Also, worried about his playmaking skills translating, since he won't be running a team initially. But, If I were PHI, I would just let him take over the Draymond Green role with Ish Smith in the Steph Curry role since they are practically the same player.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"Everyone" in this case being "DraftExpress", who doesn't even really do a mock in the traditional sense this early in the process, they just have Ingram as their top ranked player right now. Simmons is not the absolute lock he was two months ago and there's a lot of grumbling about his effort, but most people still have him projected to go first, I think. Ingram has been closing the gap for most of the season and could pass him with a really good tournament (although I think Duke could get bounced fairly early) but Simmons is still probably the favorite to go first right now.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 15, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

lol at comparing a dude with a 40 inch vertical to Jeff Hornacek. From what I've seen there's not a very good comparison for Murray, maybe a better shooting OJ Mayo??. 6'4 guys who are both athletic and can shoot are fairly rare.

Would Beal be a better comparison?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kibner posted:

Just a reminder that Luke Babbitt tested as more athletic than Al Farouq Aminu but displays none of that athleticism in games.

I think Kevin Love tested more athletic than Darrel Arthur

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

"Everyone" in this case being "DraftExpress", who doesn't even really do a mock in the traditional sense this early in the process, they just have Ingram as their top ranked player right now. Simmons is not the absolute lock he was two months ago and there's a lot of grumbling about his effort, but most people still have him projected to go first, I think. Ingram has been closing the gap for most of the season and could pass him with a really good tournament (although I think Duke could get bounced fairly early) but Simmons is still probably the favorite to go first right now.

I watched most of Simmons games the last 1/4 of the season and I honestly don't think his effort was that bad. He was at times openly frustrated with his teammates, but, deservedly so I'd argue. One of the national commentators put it very nicely, when he said he didn't think that Simmons teammates embraced the opportunity to play with someone like Simmons this season. Of course, the Sixers and Lakers might worry about this since they're gonna be a frustrating situation next year . . .

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

^the worst thing i've ever read

just the sort of nay-saying do-nothing reaction i'd expect from a 55,000 thought-per-day man. I gave myself seven pep-talks while writing this post, my positive thoughts per minute rate (PTPMr) humming a good 14.3% faster than the average hoodlum and you could be like me with the slight addition of n-methyl-1-phenylpropan-2-amine to your diet. Psychology is and always has been an impartial, data-driven hard science which certainly doesn't have a long and gross history as an ethically questionable discipline with a ready-made capacity for abuse and social control as an arbitrarily self-declared authority deciding what constitutes the correct human reaction to environmental stressors and it's ignorant of you to question the validity of such well-intentioned numbers

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

This is what I read. Not gonna re-read cause I'm lazy, but I think it's a few scouts/org people they are 'quoting'. I think he'll be good for sure. Just depends on if you want a Giannis/Draymond type situation. I would.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

EvanTH posted:

just the sort of nay-saying do-nothing reaction i'd expect from a 55,000 thought-per-day man. I gave myself seven pep-talks while writing this post, my positive thoughts per minute rate (PTPMr) humming a good 14.3% faster than the average hoodlum and you could be like me with the slight addition of n-methyl-1-phenylpropan-2-amine to your diet. Psychology is and always has been an impartial, data-driven hard science which certainly doesn't have a long and gross history as an ethically questionable discipline with a ready-made capacity for abuse and social control as an arbitrarily self-declared authority deciding what constitutes the correct human reaction to environmental stressors and it's ignorant of you to question the validity of such well-intentioned numbers
put this in the posting HoF

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I watched most of Simmons games the last 1/4 of the season and I honestly don't think his effort was that bad. He was at times openly frustrated with his teammates, but, deservedly so I'd argue. One of the national commentators put it very nicely, when he said he didn't think that Simmons teammates embraced the opportunity to play with someone like Simmons this season. Of course, the Sixers and Lakers might worry about this since they're gonna be a frustrating situation next year . . .

He is really lazy defensively. But offensively I'm mostly inclined to agree. A lot of the "lack of aggression" he got hammered for (and remember Wiggins got poo poo on for the same thing) was bad coaching and playing with crappy guards who chucked up a ton of bad shots (though Simmons does legitimately seem kinda terrified to take a jump shot which is a genuine worry). And he may have checked out a bit and started looking ahead to the NBA at the end of the year when it became clear they weren't going anywhere but I have a hard time blaming him too much. He shouldn't have had to play college basketball in the first place

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The entire situation for Simmons was not ideal. That reflects poorly on his decision making I suppose, but he wasn't put into a pro-style system where he was getting the ball in his hands every possession. Easy to blame player, but that's on coaching too...which seemed pretty awful from a man-management and x and o's perspective.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

And he may have checked out a bit and started looking ahead to the NBA at the end of the year when it became clear they weren't going anywhere but I have a hard time blaming him too much. He shouldn't have had to play college basketball in the first place

100% agree.

Since more players (still only a handful) are going overseas or doing weird prep things instead of NCAA, I hope it makes some NCAA clubs try to emulate NBA schemes more. It won't, but I wish it would. Broken record, but I hate college basketball.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

I've seen it grumbled about at ESPN.com too, because apparently guys who have "it" don't lose 71-38 in the SEC tournament.

WhyteRyce posted:

I think Kevin Love tested more athletic than Darrel Arthur
IIRC Kevin Durant had a terrible combine with regards to his athletic tests.

quote:

Simmons’ box scores have grown increasingly hollow. One NBA executive described him as a “taller Rajon Rondo, a more athletic Evan Turner, or a skinnier Royce White.”
Oh good lord

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 15, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
A 6'10" Rajon Rondo would be loving scary.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Would a skinnier Royce White smell as sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A skinnier, taller, and less crazy Royce White sounds exactly like the sort of dude who should be a number 1 pick. The issue with him was never skill. He and Draymond were basically the exact same player in college.

• Locked thread