Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight's Gotham had a really good moment between Bruce and Matches Malone, the man who killed his parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this? posted:

Tonight's Gotham had a really good moment between Bruce and Matches Malone, the man who killed his parents.

Wait, what? That's an interesting place to take his backstory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Running through time seems pretty fast.

Even when he does that he's not moving very fast.

Rhyno posted:

Only on the ground, Superman has been shown to be able to fly at pace with the Flash.

Is Superman going at extreme speeds depicted as destructive? He has no Speed Force, he should be tearing poo poo apart as he flies.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Superman's flown backwards in time too. :downs:

None of Superman's abilities are destructive. He can lift boats by a single point without cracking the hull, and can fly right past people with no consequences but their papers fluttering about.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Even when he does that he's not moving very fast.

Is Superman going at extreme speeds depicted as destructive? He has no Speed Force, he should be tearing poo poo apart as he flies.

Superman has a protective aura that keeps his costume intact and contains damage or some other sciency poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Superman has a protective aura that keeps his costume intact and contains damage or some other sciency poo poo.

Rhyno... that sounds like something John Byrne would make up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Wait, what? That's an interesting place to take his backstory.

He was a hitman who didn't even remember killing Bruce's parents at first. Bruce goes there to kill him but doesn't because he figures out that killing doesn't solve any problems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Rhyno... that sounds like something John Byrne would make up.

Byrne made a lot of things canon that I have no control over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this? posted:

He was a hitman who didn't even remember killing Bruce's parents at first. Bruce goes there to kill him but doesn't because he figures out that killing doesn't solve any problems.

It's just that Matches Mallone is a Pseudonym Batman uses when pretending to be a hobo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It's just that Matches Mallone is a Pseudonym Batman uses when pretending to be a hobo.

No, it's a pseudonym he uses when he's pretending to be a thug. And one that's supposed to be based on a real dude that he scared off/sent away.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Rhyno posted:

Interesting as the 2nd episode showed supergirl doesn't

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

TV Flash isn't very fast.

TV Flash is as fast as the plot demands it.

So in this case he'll be just fast enough to beat Kara.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

It was a real dude, tho. BKV did a whole arc about it just after Officer Down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mostly know it as the ID he used in TAS where he was pressed into a hobo chain gang and briefly forgot he was Batman.

Still weird to base a Pseudonym on the guy who murdered his parents.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Skwirl posted:

I mostly know it as the ID he used in TAS where he was pressed into a hobo chain gang and briefly forgot he was Batman.

Still weird to base a Pseudonym on the guy who murdered his parents.

This is the same guy who based an entire alternate, backup personality on a mondegreen of his father's last words.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I know it's not gonna touch any of the Netflix shows, but as far as cornier superhero shows go, how is Supergirl on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being Arrow s3 and 10 being Flash s1 (or Agents of SHIELD if you're one of those types) as far as watchability goes?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The first five or so episodes of Supergirl range from around 3 to 5 on the "This is a good, watchable show" scale. They find their footing around episode seven and haven't really lost any momentum since then; I would consider the show, from that point onward, to be more or less in the 7 or 8 range. The latest episode that just aired tonight, episode sixteen? I would rate a solid 9, and I'm not even sure I consider it the best episode of the show. It's at least as good as Flash was, though they have different draws and drawbacks.

I may be biased, though. Let the people speak.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
6 or 7 seems about right. It took a few episodes for a lot of the supporting cast to find their feet, but Harewood and Flockhart, much like Martin and Cavanaugh on Flash, carry the show in a lot of ways. And Benoist is probably even more likeable as Supergirl than Gustin as the Flash. The episode where she's lost her powers because she used all her solar juice (to fight a crappy robot wearing paintball gear) is real good, even if most of it is a straight retelling of the recent Superman story that did the same bit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scyantific posted:

Kara will be beating him until she accidentally lets slip an inspiring speech, prompting Barry to believe in himself and win.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Scyantific posted:

The race is probably how Barry goes fast enough to get home.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm sure when he if guesting on a different show his power usage will be OP.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the Speed Force will be different on CBS, which affects his speed to make it a fair race.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maybe the Speed Force will be different on CBS, which affects his speed to make it a fair race.

This is actually a thing that has happened in comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know, it was in JLA/Avengers, wasn't it? Marvel U has no Speed Force so Flash had no powers when he went across.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know, it was in JLA/Avengers, wasn't it? Marvel U has no Speed Force so Flash had no powers when he went across.

Correct sir! They best part was how pissy Quicksilver got over the Flash Museum.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Correct sir! They best part was how pissy Quicksilver got over the Flash Museum.

He would have gotten pissy about something.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

bobkatt013 posted:

He would have gotten pissy about something.

Being pissy is his secondary mutation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They screened the first episode of Preacher at SXSW and people thought it was great.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
New Daredevil trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMC7H23-sMs

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

More stylized mysticism-tinged ninja battles, less Daredevil Realistically Battles Realistic Crime? I'm down with that.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

:getin:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My favorite part about that trailer is that it was so visually dark that it forced me to clean my monitor to be able to stand watching it.

e: Word out of SXSW is that Preacher is very good.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 15, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Still sounds like Preacher is lovely people with accents being lovely to other people with accents. I always view "not a slavish adaption" as producer speak for "we took out all the stuff that made the story unique and interesting".

I don't want to be so negative, but nothing I've seen makes me think the show will contain any of the elements of the comics that I enjoyed. I God doesn't suck out Jesse's eye at some point what's the point?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

twistedmentat posted:

Still sounds like Preacher is lovely people with accents being lovely to other people with accents. I always view "not a slavish adaption" as producer speak for "we took out all the stuff that made the story unique and interesting".

I don't want to be so negative, but nothing I've seen makes me think the show will contain any of the elements of the comics that I enjoyed. I God doesn't suck out Jesse's eye at some point what's the point?

If the rumors I'm hearing are true, they got rid of all the God stuff (no angels, no Saint of Killers, no Grail, etc)

Hell, they haven't even confirmed that he has "The Word" have they?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Medullah posted:

If the rumors I'm hearing are true, they got rid of all the God stuff (no angels, no Saint of Killers, no Grail, etc)

Which is exactly what I was saying. I can't help but think the show is just Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy going around beating people up. Occasionally Cassidy reminds us he's a vampire, but there's a lot of monologing about the evil of men and poo poo like that.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Medullah posted:

That's ridiculous if true. That's like if Walking Dead cut out "all the zombie stuff".

I'm perfectly fine with an indirect adaptation because there's a lot of stuff that could be cut from the story or changed. The whole Salvation arc is an example but the show has already cast Odin Kincannon which means they shoved that into Season 1 for some reason instead of the back half of the story like the comics.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 15, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cassidy is still a vampire and it doesn't make sense that they would leave that in but cut out any other supernatural stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

But the Grail are the best part!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Well a review of the SXSW screening seems to indicate it's not as bad as I thought it might be, spoilers of plot of first episode -

The story follows Dominic Cooper as Jesse Custer, a reformed criminal badass now ekeing out a living as a small-town preacher in the dusty, West Texas town in which he grew up. Ill-suited for the job of moral guardian, he drinks himself into a dull, lazy hum to drown out his own violent tendencies while offering fairly terrible advice to his parishioners. That begins to change Preacherwhen his ex-girlfriend, a fellow criminal badass named Tulip (Ruth Negga), and an Irish vampire named Cassidy (Joe Gilgun) come to town.

Their arrival coincides with a massive case of divine intervention, as an unspecified entity of enormous spiritual power (comic readers know what it is, the rest of you I’ll leave unspoiled) makes it way across the world looking for a sufficiently religious and strong-willed host to live in. After inadvertently killing several religious leaders across the world — including, hilariously, a famous A-list actor I’ll leave unnamed — it finally settles on (you guessed it) Jesse. Suddenly, the preacher finds himself with the power to compel people to obey him just by speaking. And that’s just the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

...how the gently caress did I miss that this was coming on Friday? I still need to get around to finishing Jessica Jones.