Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

abagofcheetos posted:

The differences in that meeting between you attending it as Helmut and the actual Helmut attending it are really hilarious.

Yeah, I loved how he just didn't have a clue and 47 was on-point the whole of the way through the conversation. Turns out being a hitman that uses disguises is pretty perceptive to detail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Nah, you're just one of those bandwagon whiners who hate everything about gaming while indulging in it anyway. You aren't fooling anyone. You earnestly think that because people enjoy something that you don't that they're "brainwashed" or don't know any better. There's also the possibility that they enjoy games the way they are, y'know? What you don't realise is that the industry has moved on and you're a loving idiot who can't move with it and has to blame everyone else for not conforming to your idea of fun.

Sorry to burst that bubble of yours, chum.

Okay, dude, as much as I'm all about taking the piss out of armchair developer self-identified ~gamer~ jagoffs that have taken the red pill or whatever, you seem to be taking the argument of a person who literally said "game for sheep" in good faith. Don't do that, there is no happy ending to that.

On-topic, I had actually forgotten about the Contracts progression system from Absolution. I feel like they could have their cake and eat it too here if they brought back weapon customization, so you could maybe unlock weapons with challenges and unlock custom parts with contracts or something. Just in general, as much as I like the idea that it focuses on the pure core gameplay, there needs to be a light smattering of an unlock loop to keep people going.

And again, unborking the leaderboards might help a bit, but nobody really cares about leaderboards unless the game is Devil Daggers so meh.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
New patch totally broke the game for me, having to reinstall. I think its cos they have a ™ symbol in the path, the browse game files button in steam doesn't work and I just get disk read error when trying to patch.

I think I might wait until the full game is out to play it now though. Half the fun of blood money for me was getting to play through it loving everything up a couple of times before you found the good routes, with only 1 level so far it gets stale quickly

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Heliosicle posted:

I think I might wait until the full game is out to play it now though. Half the fun of blood money for me was getting to play through it loving everything up a couple of times before you found the good routes, with only 1 level so far it gets stale quickly

This is a good way to go if you're not one for replaying the same specific level, Square's stated that the full disc version is coming out in January of 2017, so that's basically the release date for the whole "season".

and yeah this new patch is hella borked, DX12 has gone from fickle to non-functional now. Crashing after like half a minute of gameplay if i'm lucky.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Moartoast posted:

idea that it focuses on the pure core gameplay, there needs to be a light smattering of an unlock loop to keep people going.

Go play an ARPG if you want grindy mechanics, stop making GBS threads up the Hitman games with this crap. This type of thinking is why we have developers focusing on not creating content but rather gating content behind time intensive activities, artificially increasing game length with no actual benefits. It tickles that addictive part of your brain and doesn't give you much more.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 15, 2016

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

Go play an ARPG if you want grindy mechanics, stop making GBS threads up the Hitman games with this crap. This type of thinking is why we have developers focusing on not creating content but rather gating content behind time intensive activities, artificially increasing game length with no actual benefits. It tickles that addictive part of your brain and doesn't give you much more.

Jesus Christ I say "add a bit of a carrot on a stick so more people engage with the actual core of the game" and you go all r/games on me. Cool your gears, man, sorry I'm the cancer killing video games or whatever.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kontradaz posted:

Blood Money literally had you saving up money between missions to buy upgrades for your weapons, chief.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I don't know about you, but I rabidly froth at the mouth with seething indignation when a game dares to have an overarching meta progression, how dare they slowly feed me new tools over time, I should be the only tool here. Except for when I conveniently forget that that whole system was a major part of an old game that i have a creepy, undying and uncritical loyalty to, because that was made in the good old days and kids today, they don't know, they missed out.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Crappy Jack posted:

Blood Money literally had you saving up money between missions to buy upgrades for your weapons, chief.

That rewards skill and not repetition (sometimes some skill needs to be built, but once that is done it is done). QED.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

That rewards skill and not repetition (sometimes some skill needs to be built, but once that is done it is done). QED.

And Contracts already have a rating system that rewards skill and, if tied to a light progression mechanic, would be rewarding skill with slightly more than a place on a leaderboard nobody looks at.

christ now i'm taking this bullshit in good faith the hell am i doing

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Now that I have reached Mastery 20 in Paris, I think its time for a Suit Only run, luckily this challenge doesn't require silent assassin so I can just blitz my way to Viktor and Dahlia with the biggest gun I own.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Now that I have reached Mastery 20 in Paris, I think its time for a Suit Only run, luckily this challenge doesn't require silent assassin so I can just blitz my way to Viktor and Dahlia with the biggest gun I own.

When I reached Mastery level 20 the game went from "Hitman" to "Hit every man" :black101:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

After giving up on Absolution like two years ago I'm giving it another shot. I've accepted the fact that Absolution seems to be less of the Hitman mainstay of "do anything anyway you want" and more of "solve this puzzle in one of two possible stealthy ways." That's fine.

Now that I'm trying to brute force missions just by killing every mother fucker in the place the shooting controls are just as bad. Fortunately I'm playing on PC. I feel like I should be able to mess with things but I've been a googlin' to no avail. My chief complaints are that you zoom in WAY too much when aiming. Anyway to kill that? Hell, even just make it first person? Second is there a way to switch shoulders when you're using weapons? I've noticed shotguns tend to have you looking over 47's left shoulder and pistols have you looking over his right. Anyway to toggle that?

I have a sneaking suspicion poo poo like this is asked occasionally. Feel free to point me somewhere else if it's been answered.

e: I figured out that Z toggles which shoulder you're looking over!

fennesz fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 17, 2016

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I've taken up a routine of doing a challenge runthrough, then going to play stardew valley for a bit, then doing another challenge runthrough. It's very relaxing.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Timotheous Venture posted:

When I reached Mastery level 20 the game went from "Hitman" to "Hit every man" :black101:

if you wanna talk about high scores

i crashed the game multiple times and got disconnected a load but it was worth it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

probably everyone's sick of this but IMO I actually like how much quality went into the Paris level. Just the sheer amount of side-dialogue and touches from NPCs was very impressive, and I'm only barely half done when it comes to using all the possible paths and starting points and tactics. Even if it's "just 6 more after this one" if the quality follows the kind we get from the Paris level, I'll be completely satisfied. I'll gladly take 7 or 8 intricately refined jewels over most poo poo that throws you into big empty worlds.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i still haven't explored the attic properly yet.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'd really love more scenarios on this map, someone suggested earlier about having a night version where the party has moved outside. Just move some poo poo around and add some more opportunity style events. Not likely that it would ever officially materialize, and fuckin lol if they'd ever let modders have a go at it.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I'm doing a mass murdering vampire ninja run using melee weapons.

Judge Tesla posted:

There is a silent assassin suit only run but it's actually pretty easy with the coins.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
As fun as this was at first, due to the initial bugs and now the patch that broke things, I'm going to wait a good while before diving in again. I only bought the intro pack. I think I'm going to wait until they've released a good two more locations and they've sorted out the issues before I come back to this, unfortunately.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Swartz posted:

As fun as this was at first, due to the initial bugs and now the patch that broke things, I'm going to wait a good while before diving in again. I only bought the intro pack. I think I'm going to wait until they've released a good two more locations and they've sorted out the issues before I come back to this, unfortunately.

In the meantime, give Alekehine's Gun a try, limited bugs and issues there.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The Paris Escalation missions are active, I hope you like sneaking because oh boy is it essential.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

In the meantime, give Alekehine's Gun a try, limited bugs and issues there.

I know metacritic isn't everything, but Alekehines Gun gets like the worst reviews I've ever seen on Metacritic. And well-written reviews too, not like the babies who give ME3 zero stars because they didn't like the ending or D3 a 0 because they couldn't connect on launch day.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Saladman posted:

I know metacritic isn't everything, but Alekehines Gun gets like the worst reviews I've ever seen on Metacritic. And well-written reviews too, not like the babies who give ME3 zero stars because they didn't like the ending or D3 a 0 because they couldn't connect on launch day.

That's because people expect a quality polished game from Alekhine's Gun, that's not what it is and it appeals more to a lover of classic stealth / assassin games with a focus on levels and gameplay.

i.e no unlocking gun #20 in this game

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I, too, regularly spend $35 on games that lack polish or quality.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I just got an email survey about Hitman, and one of the questions was asking what would you like added, and the briefcase was a choice. So it may be coming in the future!

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

abagofcheetos posted:

I just got an email survey about Hitman, and one of the questions was asking what would you like added, and the briefcase was a choice. So it may be coming in the future!

Out of interest, what were the other choices? It's good that they're asking for constant feedback.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

That's because people expect a quality polished game from Alekhine's Gun, that's not what it is and it appeals more to a lover of classic stealth / assassin games with a focus on levels and gameplay.

lol this is just sad. oh so it appeals to people who accept trash? I'll steer clear, then.

abagofcheetos posted:

I didn't know they were doing survey stuff, that's at least one cool thing about the episodic nature: they can keep updating stuff to be there off the bat in future episodes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Judge Tesla posted:

The Paris Escalation missions are active, I hope you like sneaking because oh boy is it essential.
They need to fix that one guard in the attic who just keeps turning in place in a bugged out way. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to get past him.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Profanity posted:

Out of interest, what were the other choices? It's good that they're asking for constant feedback.

Searching contracts, more items/weapons, customization of weapons/items, body shields, and pre-selected difficulty levels.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope one of the options was fixing the atrocious HUD and UI. the menu is this game is one of the worst I've ever used.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kontradaz posted:

:getout:

Judge Tesla posted:

Please tell me you're locked to vampire magician for all of them :allears: VM the new SO.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I hope one of the options was fixing the atrocious HUD and UI. the menu is this game is one of the worst I've ever used.

It's weird, Payday 2 recently added the same menu approach in a beta build. I think there might be some sort of console cert convention at issue, because it's particularly unpleasant for PC users.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It's weird, Payday 2 recently added the same menu approach in a beta build. I think there might be some sort of console cert convention at issue, because it's particularly unpleasant for PC users.

Ha well I'm on PS4 and I think it's rubbish.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Discendo Vox posted:

Nah I think it's just the style now. That kind of menu makes a game look like an ever changing service, so you stop thinking of it as a purchasable product. Because god forbid you give someone some money and get a thing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

Please tell me you're locked to vampire magician for all of them :allears: VM the new SO.
Yes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Load option being just a big empty square is pathetic.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol this is just sad. oh so it appeals to people who accept trash? I'll steer clear, then.

I didn't know they were doing survey stuff, that's at least one cool thing about the episodic nature: they can keep updating stuff to be there off the bat in future episodes.

Uhh no, they spent dev time creating novel levels and scenarios, and they have a full game to release at a pretty cheap price (i got it for like 20) The gameplay is solid, so it's not trash.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
What's the point to storing things in trash cans? I thought it might allow you to smuggle items past being frisked, but you can't move the trash cans, so...?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

What's the point to storing things in trash cans? I thought it might allow you to smuggle items past being frisked, but you can't move the trash cans, so...?

Store a bomb, blow it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
ed- ^^^ That too.

Strudel Man posted:

They're just safe stash points out in the open. The first few times I went up to the second floors with the IAGO invitation, I had to come back down to avoid being frisked. You can't pull your gun out without being spotted, but you can put it in a trash can even in direct sight of security without raising suspicion.

A minor detail, but a handy one.