Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Does anyone know how to open display cases non-destructively? I found a two-handed sword in a display case at an antiques store, and I could neither pick a lock or pry it open, I had to resort to smashing it. It did give up its two-handed sword that way, but I'd like to know in case I need to get one open stealthily or without a smashy thing in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Why do you hate violence? Smash those vitrines with great prejudice!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
There might be a quiet way, but if so it's something very non-obvious; I haven't tried applying tools at them, but I'm pretty sure they can't be picked, pried, or deconstructed from the building menu.

As for hordes, yeah, they've been tweaked a bit with newer versions, I believe, but they're still unpredictable and overbearing. It wasn't QUITE so bad in the very, very early versions of the game when dynamic spawns were only really a concern in city centers, but when the spawn points roam the country-side and can hone in on level 2 or 3 sounds from a dozen map tiles away (and pretty much completely saturate all tiles of every city at all times), it's very difficult to deal with. I'd be happy to have some variables to tweak with horde behavior; making them more or less receptive to noise (so you're actually punished for doing loud things like breaking down doors instead of just opening them or daring to not have all the silent footstep perks and mutations), having more or fewer of them, and maybe even letting horde spawners have 'health' that's depleted as you kill zombies in the horde, allowing you to either silently thin out the herd little by little or go hard and loud and risk the spawn-point spawning more poo poo before you finally deplete it. For all I know that last bit is already implemented, but it's impossible to tell when half the map is constantly covered in a shifting forest of spawnpoints.

Seriously, it would be a fairly fun dynamic gameplay element to occasionally have a city center spawn a horde-ball, forcing you to either deal with it or avoid it. It could also potentially give endgame characters something to do with their power. Instead of silently assassinating ten or twenty zombies to end the horde spawner, just stroll through town blasting mariachi from your deathmachine and then rain lightning and fire down on the resulting wall of hulks and specials.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 10, 2016

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I've found three drivable cars; two petrol cars and an electric car. Figuring out driving was a big boost; I found two libraries across the street from one-another. :frog: The electric car has solar panels but the charge doesn't seem to be building up; how long does this take? All the books should at least give me something to do while I wait.

I don't find myself troubled by the lack of an "end game". What would you do, kill an end boss and... what? Revive the undead into the living again? To win is to survive; if you're rear end in a top hat's not puckered you're winning; the only question is in how grand a style.

Switzerland posted:

Why do you hate violence? Smash those vitrines with great prejudice!

Oh, I smashed right after I found it impervious to prying and lock-picking. I wasn't about to let a two-handed sword get away from me due to a bit of glass; I was just wondering if I was missing some obscure keyboard command used only for interacting with display cases or something stupid like that (remember, I come from ADOM, which has separate, dedicated keys for cleaning your ears and face :froggonk: .

Edit: I picked Toad Venom Kung-Fu under the impression that I only have to hold still to be using it; I'm not missing anything, am I?

Red_October_7000 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 11, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Red_October_7000 posted:

I've found three drivable cars; two petrol cars and an electric car. Figuring out driving was a big boost; I found two libraries across the street from one-another. :frog: The electric car has solar panels but the charge doesn't seem to be building up; how long does this take? All the books should at least give me something to do while I wait.

I don't find myself troubled by the lack of an "end game". What would you do, kill an end boss and... what? Revive the undead into the living again? To win is to survive; if you're rear end in a top hat's not puckered you're winning; the only question is in how grand a style.

Oh, I smashed right after I found it impervious to prying and lock-picking. I wasn't about to let a two-handed sword get away from me due to a bit of glass; I was just wondering if I was missing some obscure keyboard command used only for interacting with display cases or something stupid like that (remember, I come from ADOM, which has separate, dedicated keys for cleaning your ears and face :froggonk: .

Edit: I picked Toad Venom Kung-Fu under the impression that I only have to hold still to be using it; I'm not missing anything, am I?

If the car's batteries are damaged they will slowly lose charge, possibly faster than the solar panels can recharge them.

re: endgame: Yeah "to win is to survive", but after a certain point you no longer have a problem surviving without intentionally putting yourself in dangerous situations.

The Kung Fu won't work if you're wielding your fancy new sword.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In my on going playthrough I went with a 14 str + medieval weapons proficiency character, about 100 tiles from my starting shelter there was a mansion with ornamental plate and a broadsword so that was a very quick spawn -> unkillable badass progression.

I guess that's kinda what the recent changes to experimental are supposed to fix.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I feel so dumb playing this game but I just started and I can't figure this out.

How do I boil water? I have all of the tools but it nothing I try seems to work. I have a pot, a hot plate, 2 glass jars of water and 2 plastic bottles. What are the steps I need to take because I am clearly missing something obvious. Every attempt ends with a puddle in the middle of my new living room. I may end up drinking straight from the toilet at this rate.

HALP!

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Use the crafting menu (&, I think) and make sure you have an empty container which it sounds like you do. Make a fire in a fireplace or outside, drop some wood or paper down (you can use 1+letter of item to drop one out of a stack) and use a lighter or matches or whatever on it. Of course you have a pot and hotplate so you don't really need a fire... anyway, once you boil the water clean you'll be prompted to select a container (use its letter) to store it in. If you don't select one then you'll just dump it on the ground. You can also hunt for a swimming pool or a house with a pool and if you're close enough you can opt to simply boil pool water clean. Since you need to drink quite often I find carrying a gallon jug or 3L glass jar convenient, since that way you don't need to deal with stacks of full/partially full/empty bottles.

e: Later once your tailoring is good a waterskin made from destroyed car seat leather or zombie clothing is probably one of the best containers since they aren't heavy and shrink in size as you drink from it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sealed stomachs function similarly to waterskins and are relatively simple to craft, stomachs are also considerably less useful than leather which you might want to stockpile on for your armor crafting needs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Red_October_7000 posted:

I'm onboard with the theoretical endgame of stomping into the Bad Dimension to slam the rifts shut and keep things from getting more hosed back on Earth.

Or, you know, stomping in just for shits and giggles.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

nftyw posted:

Use the crafting menu (&, I think) and make sure you have an empty container which it sounds like you do. Make a fire in a fireplace or outside, drop some wood or paper down (you can use 1+letter of item to drop one out of a stack) and use a lighter or matches or whatever on it. Of course you have a pot and hotplate so you don't really need a fire... anyway, once you boil the water clean you'll be prompted to select a container (use its letter) to store it in. If you don't select one then you'll just dump it on the ground. You can also hunt for a swimming pool or a house with a pool and if you're close enough you can opt to simply boil pool water clean. Since you need to drink quite often I find carrying a gallon jug or 3L glass jar convenient, since that way you don't need to deal with stacks of full/partially full/empty bottles.

e: Later once your tailoring is good a waterskin made from destroyed car seat leather or zombie clothing is probably one of the best containers since they aren't heavy and shrink in size as you drink from it.

Oh god. I knew it was going to be plain as day once I saw it. I wasn't looking in the crafting menu but now that I see it there it makes so much sense. I was trying to [U]nload things into other things, [a]ctivate hot plates on pots.... but it was so easy the whole time.

Thanks!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Red_October_7000 posted:

You'll need to have it selected as your combat style (- or _ I think, don't have the game handy to check at the moment), and you'll need to be in a state of preparedness for your style; for most fighting styles, this means being unarmed, no weapons or tools in hand.

As an aside, there are a handful of fighting styles with other requirements. Five Rings (Niten Ichi-Ryu or something to that effect), Western Swordfighting, and Fencing all require you to be wielding a compatible weapon, and I believe Drunken Master benefits from inebriation. There may be some modded styles with more exotic requirements that I'm not familiar with.

E: Also, at lower levels of skill, most styles won't proc their abilities very often; as your skill level increases, they'll activate any of their special features much more reliably, which is why some reasonably successful gimmick character builds rely on taking a combat style and multiple levels of unarmed/melee/whatever to have a character who's a blender in combat right out of the gate. It's important to note that usually your starting points are better spent on stats and perks than skills, which can be acquired over time. The notable exceptions are combat styles (some of them ONLY available at character creation generally, like the animal kung-fu styles such as you chose), using the Stats from Skills mod for easy-mode, or Dodge, which at the investment of a few points can MASSIVELY increase the survivability of a character with a difficult start.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 11, 2016

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm onboard with the theoretical endgame of stomping into the Bad Dimension to slam the rifts shut and keep things from getting more hosed back on Earth.

Or, you know, stomping in just for shits and giggles.

I remember awhile back someone suggesting a hell dimension you could got to complete with new vehicle parts, so your wheels of steel could become flesh and bone. I still can't help but think how cool that would be.

But really just some sort of hyper hostile environment you could go to to prove you're king psycho would be awesome.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If the car's batteries are damaged they will slowly lose charge, possibly faster than the solar panels can recharge them.

re: endgame: Yeah "to win is to survive", but after a certain point you no longer have a problem surviving without intentionally putting yourself in dangerous situations.

The Kung Fu won't work if you're wielding your fancy new sword.

Ah, I'll have to investigate the state of the batteries. I've got two other running cars and a petrol station nearby, and I'm going to take them up there and see if I can't fill them up. I've got a book on sword fighting which should be good for me, but the two-hander seems to train me in Bashing weapons, not edged weapons, for some reason. If the Toad Venom Kung-Fu kept me alive until this point, I think it was worth it. I've been using a weapon since I found a baseball bat, but on this character I've gotten a lot of "your armor absorbs the blow" or whatever the text is. Now I have tuned up my clothing with leather and made myself some leather gauntlets, and got some really lucky finds of various kinds of PPE (Fireman's breathing mask, combat boots, and a ballistic vest off a military zombie.). Just recently I've found a Remington 870 shotgun (I'm assuming it's a police magnum since I found it at a police checkpoint, but the game just calls it an 870) and a few dozen shells. I found a gun shop, but while it had all kinds of tools, including some good for re-loading spent cartridges, it actually had NO complete cartridges of any kind. Then I found 50 rounds of .45 ACP on the ground. Ah, this game :)

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Red_October_7000 posted:

I've got a book on sword fighting which should be good for me, but the two-hander seems to train me in Bashing weapons, not edged weapons, for some reason.

Examine your word, I think there can be replica versions of a lot of medieval armour and equipment that are blunt and don't do much damage or offer much protection. You might have one of those, if it doesn't have good cutting damage and the description mentions it being fake or a replica then it's not much use.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

As ro5s said, impostor artifact weapons are something to be aware of; I forgot to mention it. Also, on the question about your electric car, yes, electricity is a wonderfully sustainable power-plant, but it is also SLOW for use in a vehicle, and while I heard it was being worked on, solar panels still weren't reliable outside of your reality bubble last I knew. If you're roaming, gas or diesel shouldn't be hard to come by, and they can even be made with the right chemistry recipes (though I think it may require your world to have the Vehicle Parts/additional vehicles mod, which I would recommend in general for having lots of fun stuff to play with and a few additional goals to aim for). With mechanics skill and some tools, you can hack apart electric cars through the vehicle menu to put more batteries and solar panels onto one and make it somewhat less of a pain, but most people stick with chemical powerplants unless you have a nice big solar-powered vehicle set up somewhere as a base of operations to charge from.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

As ro5s said, impostor artifact weapons are something to be aware of; I forgot to mention it. Also, on the question about your electric car, yes, electricity is a wonderfully sustainable power-plant, but it is also SLOW for use in a vehicle, and while I heard it was being worked on, solar panels still weren't reliable outside of your reality bubble last I knew. If you're roaming, gas or diesel shouldn't be hard to come by, and they can even be made with the right chemistry recipes (though I think it may require your world to have the Vehicle Parts/additional vehicles mod, which I would recommend in general for having lots of fun stuff to play with and a few additional goals to aim for). With mechanics skill and some tools, you can hack apart electric cars through the vehicle menu to put more batteries and solar panels onto one and make it somewhat less of a pain, but most people stick with chemical powerplants unless you have a nice big solar-powered vehicle set up somewhere as a base of operations to charge from.

Newest experimentals have fixed the solar panel/reality bubble thing, and electric engines are perfectly viable unless you strap tank tracks/road rollers to your car. (I had a max speed of like 100mph with a ~8k pound car with armored wheels off a single large electric motor.)

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
bashing weapons are still great, make a nail bat and murder everything short of brutes fairly effortlessly!

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Hey, guess what, my sword is fake! Oh well, the antiques store I got it from has two more swords in display cases yet...

Edit: There was another fake sword, a rapier, and a Kris knife, which was real. It's doing about the same damage as the fake Zweihänder but it knocks dudes back like a sledgehammer!
The gas station was in order and I now have two little sedans with a quarter of a tank each, and all my dough on one cash card. I've got a Remington 870 shotgun, a revolver that takes .45 ACP somehow (I think you can get little clips for that purpose), and three different machine pistols that all also take it, a MAC, an H&K, and a Vektor. I still have books to read. Also I killed a fat zombie and it dropped a charcoal smoker, which I promptly stuck in the trunk of my car. Ah, roguelikes.

Red_October_7000 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 12, 2016

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
In case it hasn't already been mentioned, if you get a rubber hose (available from deconstructing certain appliances with the * construction menu), you can siphon gas out of one vehicle into an empty container if you're carrying one (gallon jugs are good options for on-the-fly storage of large amounts of fluids), and use the vehicle inspection menu ('e' I think) to refill a different vehicle with it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Most of the medieval weapons have fake, inferior and regular, Fake is garbage generally, only about as good as cudgels and improvised weapons. Inferior is actually pretty strong but prone to getting stuck and loving up, not perfect and regular is gamebreaking powerful, my favorite are real awl pikes which I've only found on ocassion in mansions.

Also the reason to not break display cases is because they're majoratively rigged up with magical alarms that don't require power to work, which is a pain in the rear end when you have to fend off a horde of zombies with the fake rear end piece of aluminum you just broke the case for.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 12, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does breaking glass summon policebots or do those just hang around cities?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Does breaking glass summon policebots or do those just hang around cities?

Normal glass no. However some things are alarmed. Setting off the alarm (such as by breaking the glass) will summon a camera bot. If it gets a picture of you it will summon a copbot.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Did they ever make it so the medieval weapons are on a similar level to the Katana? Because I got kind of annoyed at how, with the katana's quick strike ability and/or the katana martial arts, it felt substantially better than all the medieval weapons.

Maybe make them better at blocking or something? Dunno.

Glorious Hanzo steel is supposed to chip if you smack it full force against metal like the steel plates on power armor and poo poo.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yes, katanas and the dumb weeaboo weapon skill are both nerfed heavily, so they're now just top tier instead of doing like 2-3 times more damage than everything else (this is in experimental builds only)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I dunno if Katanas are any different at the moment but smacking my broadsword at doors and sometimes even at the tougher zombies will damage it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Material damage is some combination of material toughness and arcane factors I don't remember; most weapons will start taking damage once your relevant combat skill is high enough, because you're hitting things harder! :eng99:

If I recall correctly, this is also why bushes (used to?) tear the everloving gently caress out of any vehicle you went off-roading in. They technically had two materials defined (which I think is the standard?); however instead of both being plant or wood or whatever, one of them was left undefined, which by default was nearly indestructible since I guess it was assumed that if you're not defining a material for an item you don't care about it being involved in item destruction. The result was bushes that had a material toughness that was the average of 'scrub' and 'unobtanium', making for hilariously damaging collisions in spite of their low mass.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I dunno if Katanas are any different at the moment but smacking my broadsword at doors and sometimes even at the tougher zombies will damage it.

Are you sure it's not an inferior quality broadsword? They look the same unless you read the item description but the inferior one will get damaged easily.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah it's a real one I picked from a mansion, I grabbed a replica longsword from a museum and that got destroyed after about 10 in game minutes.

The broadsword has lasted a long while but it's already down to |- damage, whatever that means. My character does have 14 strength though and I did use it on a couple of occasions to bash open doors.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
You can fix up most metal items with a soldering iron or a welder. Health is an approximation; items use the same health display as (most) characters have, where ||.. would be about half health, |||/ would be nearly full health, and around /... or :... would be the last step before it breaks completely.

And yeah, decent strength and using the weapon for bashing obstacle tiles will damage it more often.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was extremely sad the other day when I found a zweihander in a pawn shop and discovered its now made of a special material which really sucks and breaks super fast and also can't be repaired. gently caress off Kevin!!!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

In case it hasn't already been mentioned, if you get a rubber hose (available from deconstructing certain appliances with the * construction menu), you can siphon gas out of one vehicle into an empty container if you're carrying one (gallon jugs are good options for on-the-fly storage of large amounts of fluids), and use the vehicle inspection menu ('e' I think) to refill a different vehicle with it.

Also you can smash fridges if you don't have screwdriver/hammer yet and you'll probably get a hose. (If you don't, there's another fridge next door. :v:)

Gallon jugs are great, but even better is turning 4 of them into a plastic jerrycan, then turning that into a jerrypack. 40 units of liquid that you can wear! Drop it before fighting because the torso encumbrance is real bad.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

There is a LOT of cool poo poo being worked on in Github right now:

- Non-sealed containers with open tops so you can finally fill a loving cooking pot with water (they can't be placed into the inventory or on a vehicle)

- Crafting inventory so you can highlight an item in the craft menu and see how many of each of the components you have available, very handy if working with limited resources

- Bionics slot system so you can't just use every bionic you find

- Item variants being set up as actual variants in the code, which has potentially huge implications down the line for crafting etc.

- Following from the above, item variants will show their 'base' and 'derived' stats so for example you can see the difference in your handloaded 9mm ammo compared to the regular kind; it will show as -2 damage +10 recoil etc.

- Lots of unsexy balancing and code rewrites

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

RabidWeasel posted:

- Bionics slot system so you can't just use every bionic you find

This is not improving your game you shittttt

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

- Crafting inventory so you can highlight an item in the craft menu and see how many of each of the components you have available, very handy if working with limited resources

This has been in for a couple months unless I'm misunderstanding.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

You're bad and dumb but I am sure there will be a "no bionics cap" mod.

bitcoin bastard posted:

This has been in for a couple months unless I'm misunderstanding.

This doesn't show how many you HAVE of anything, other than the fact that it shows that you have enough for each recipe. The new system will show a full count of those items so you'll know if you have just enough rags / w.e. for your item or hundreds of them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Motherfucker posted:

To be fair even after you're cyborged to the nines you'll only ever use like 4 of your active implants because most of them are hysterically impractical or ineffective.

Like I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in loving force lightning

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Come on, the bionic system is hilariously broken and OP the way it currently stands. Being able to jam more machinery inside you than there is physically space for it probably shouldn't be a thing.

Now if we could get some of the less useful one re-purposed so that the choice of a slot isn't so immediately obvious, that'd be a great change to introduce. Players get way too strong/survivable once all these unbalanced gameplay mechanics come into play, and that's where the boredom can set in when you're basically unkillable and there's no challenge left.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It's pretty easy to become mostly unkillable even without ridiculous end-game gear, but as has been stated, there will almost certainly be a 'no bionics cap' mod right out of the gate.

Granted, I'm not sure how you survive five (or more?) levels of icelab without four different bionics and a plethora of now-rebalanced gear (RIP Jedi Cloaks being easy-mode winterizing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Coolguye posted:

To be fair even after you're cyborged to the nines you'll only ever use like 4 of your active implants because most of them are hysterically impractical or ineffective.

Like I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in loving force lightning

Adding a slot system just means players will never even install all those rarely-used bionics, as opposed to the current system where they might at least play around with them for a bit.