Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, I use this person's proposed order.
http://trishmishtree.tumblr.com/unofficial-miraculous-guide
That said, The Puppeteer's villains are Lady Wifi, The Evillustrator, and Rogercop, all of whom appeared earlier in the season in both English and French (not 100% on Korean).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Senerio posted:

Yeah, I use this person's proposed order.
http://trishmishtree.tumblr.com/unofficial-miraculous-guide
That said, The Puppeteer's villains are Lady Wifi, The Evillustrator, and Rogercop, all of whom appeared earlier in the season in both English and French (not 100% on Korean).

That's strange, I've been powering through episode 7 to the latest in one sitting, and I swear I haven't seen the latter two. It must be because of the order between the english and french version, since I started with the english one and went for the episode after Lady Wifi when tackling the original dub.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

horriblePencilist posted:

That's strange, I've been powering through episode 7 to the latest in one sitting, and I swear I haven't seen the latter two. It must be because of the order between the english and french version, since I started with the english one and went for the episode after Lady Wifi when tackling the original dub.

Yeah, the order was different between english and french. The Evillustrator was episode 8, the episode after Lady Wifi in the English version, and episode 7 of the french version.

Rogercop was episode 10 of the english version, and episode 9 of the french version.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
[nothing to see here, forums did a dumb]

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 13, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
[ditto this]

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Edit: Huh, Forum decided to barf out three copies of the same post, sorry for the mess.

Man, if they hadn't chickened out of making the Toei animation version the thing for Ladybug I'd be just as excited as you guys seem to be :sigh:

I mean French precure that's animated by the precure guys (before that meant staring down a double barrel of Sailor Moon Crystal non-effort), come on!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'd sooner trust my dog to build a rocket ship than trust Toei to produce 26 half hours that look anywhere close to decent. Still, Toei is producing an animation, an OVA if you will, that'll probably look pretty okay, but yeah, the show creator has gone on record to say that trying to sell it as a 2D animation by Toei did not get much attention to possible partners and investors.

Really digging Ladybug, there are a few episodes here and there that are duds, but on the whole it's a pretty nice cartoon, can't wait for the final episodes to be aired so we can start talking about the Origins one and how strong they are for this kinda show.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 13, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like the CG animation. Next Saturday, the final unaired episode airs in Quebec. Today's episode hasn't hit the internet yet due to issues, but will hit it soon enough.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, the model work is pretty great and I love how bright and colorful everything is. Lots of really smooth movements as well.

Speaking of superhero cartoons, decided to watch the start of season 3 of Avengers! It was dull and boring as hell! There were two pretty good bits, one that half the team was recruited by Black Widow to do an undercover mission in AIM while the otherhalf was recruited by Hawkeye to do an undercover mission in AIM and they don't know until they start fighting each other assuming they've been caught by AIM personnel. Then the big fight of the episode was everyone vs a very big adaptoid that had some cool animation going on in its attacks where it'd shapeshift on the fly and throw smaller versions of itself. Other than that it was very boring. Ultimate Spider-man continues to actually be good, tho.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I know you're talking about Avenger's Assemble, but you reminded me of how disappointing the second season of EMH was. It was so close to being the Marvel version of Justice League.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Finally caught up with Wander over Yonder.

What is Dominator's deal?

Like, We know Hater does what he does because he's a pathetic manchild who's insecurities force him to surround himself with people he can bully because deep inside he worries nobody could ever actually love him.

Dominator, on the other hand, seems relatively well adjusted except for her nihilistic urge to destroy the galaxy for no reason. She doesn't seem to have a motive.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That seems to be the point of her song: she just likes hurting people, and she'll doesn't appreciate people trying to make her something she's not.

Kind of a neat twist for a hero based on empathy to meet a villain who regards attempts to reform them as taking intolerable liberties.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I've been worried the writers were going to follow through on the "little missy just needs her a man and she'll settle right down" thing, but I kept my faith and, so far, that doesn't seem to be about to happen.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Wander's kindness has been slowly wearing away at Hater, but I think the only thing that will get through to Dominator is for her to experience a loss that forces her to empathize with her victims.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

xcheopis posted:

I've been worried the writers were going to follow through on the "little missy just needs her a man and she'll settle right down" thing, but I kept my faith and, so far, that doesn't seem to be about to happen.

I wouldn't worry too much about that happening in a Craig McCraken cartoon.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Applewhite posted:

Wander's kindness has been slowly wearing away at Hater, but I think the only thing that will get through to Dominator is for her to experience a loss that forces her to empathize with her victims.

I don't think she has anything she cares about to lose, she sees all her minions as objects, and I mean, well they are robots, though their sentience doesn't seem to affect her. The only thing she has she cares about is probably her grand power, but I honestly don't think she's just going to lose that and become a good person.

The writing is super fresh and a change from super trope-driven stuff. It's a shame the show's been cancelled. Do we even have any episodes left? If it's the same amount as last season, only 10 episodes remain, if that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Megaspel posted:

I don't think she has anything she cares about to lose, she sees all her minions as objects, and I mean, well they are robots, though their sentience doesn't seem to affect her. The only thing she has she cares about is probably her grand power, but I honestly don't think she's just going to lose that and become a good person.

The writing is super fresh and a change from super trope-driven stuff. It's a shame the show's been cancelled. Do we even have any episodes left? If it's the same amount as last season, only 10 episodes remain, if that.

CANCELLED??

I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise, WoY wasn't exactly heavily merchandised (in fact I've sometimes wondered how it's managed to last this long), but that doesn't make it any less of a disappointment.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Maybe they can put the animators back on Star vs. the Forces of Evil.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

quote:

Wanted to take the opportunity to answer some of the most popular questions I’ve been getting over the past two days in one big old post.

Is it true?!

Sad to say, yup. It’s true. Wander Over Yonder will be ending after seven more episodes with a 22-minute finale some time in June.

WHAT?! Why?!

Take it easy. The theory that seems to hold the most water is that WOY has always done better in repeats than it did in premieres. Like, we’ve had random repeats rate as the best show on the network on some odd weeks. I think that Disney decided that 80 pieces of Wander content (between individual cartoons, 22s, and the shorts) was enough that they could keep repeating them without a noticeable impact and draw the same ratings without spending more on new episodes. And while we have been doing better in premieres this season, this decision was made before Season 2 even premiered.

DOUBLE WHAT?! When did you guys know?

A week after we got nominated for an Emmy, a week before “The Greater Hater” aired, seven months before we won the Annie for Outstanding Children’s programming, eight months before “I’m the Bad Guy” went crazy viral…

Why didn’t you say anything?

Honestly? Because we’re Wander Over Yonder. We thrive on hope. I think somewhere deep down I’ve been hoping Disney would reconsider. And we’re so proud of this season that we wanted people to give it a fighting chance instead of dismissing it as “that show that’s probably gonna end soon.”

And it’s not over yet! Dominator is cutting a flaming, icy swath of destruction across the cosmos and it’s up to Wander, Sylvia, Lord Hater, and Peepers to save the galaxy!

DISNEY IS A MONSTER! I’m gonna go break my Wreck-It Ralph Blu-ray in half!

Don’t do that! That’s a good movie featuring some very charming and handsome voice actors!

Guys, Disney actually made two seasons of this show in the first place. 80 Wander Over Yonder stories. Yes, we had more stories to tell. Yes, we’re bummed. But when all things are said and done, Disney probably spent more on making The Cartoon/The Bot than they did on Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. That’s insane.

I heard you guys had a Season 3 arc in mind, with some backstory and a new status quo. Will you at least tell us what it was about?

Nope.

NOW YOU ARE THE MONSTERS! Why not?

Because Hey Arnold just got a finale movie fifteen years after it ended. And Samurai Jack is coming back. And Gilmore Girls is returning. And…

For the record, I’m not saying we’ve been given any indication whatsoever that Disney could change their minds. We just like the story too much to blow it on a Tumblr post.

Are you guys still gonna post on Tumblr?

Disney didn’t cancel our internet accounts. Yeah, of course we’ll be around throughout the rest of the season, and we’ve all got a lot of cool stuff going on through the end of the season and beyond.

What can we, the fans, do? Never hurts to help, right?

See, this is why we love you guys.

The best thing you can do is love the show. Watch it, rewatch it (I hear it repeats very well), sketch it, fanfic it, ship it, cosplay it, sing the songs, tell your friends about it, make it a thing even after it’s gone, and never forget it.

Everybody who worked hard on this show did it because we believe in Craig and what he wanted to say with Wander. We believe the darkest of times calls for the sunniest of smiles, a little bit of silliness can save the galaxy, and everyone deserves a friend. Even maniacal electrical skeleton men.

I know things seem rough now, but remember: If the darkness comes a creepin’, and you’re feelin’ down, just Wander Over Yonder and turn your life around…
There's the FAQ from Frank Angones' tumblr.

Bonus from Craig McCracken's tumblarr:

quote:

For the record I’m developing a new show not working on one. But there will be no new Wanders with out me.

Second bonus from Frank Angones' tumblr

quote:

pc-the-unicorn asked:
Will we see Dominator in the next episode?

Um. Grop yes. In a big way.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Frank Aragones wouldn't be related to the great Sergio Aragones, by any chance?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It wouldn't fit with the theme of the rest of the series if Dominater didn't eventually succumb to the power of love and friendship.

It's a shame that Disney always has to kill their shows though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

It wouldn't fit with the theme of the rest of the series if Dominater didn't eventually succumb to the power of love and friendship.

It's a shame that Disney always has to kill their shows though.

It's a blessing in some ways because it ensures their shows will never become stale. I'd be hard-pressed to name a Disney show that overstayed its welcome.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Applewhite posted:

It's a blessing in some ways because it ensures their shows will never become stale. I'd be hard-pressed to name a Disney show that overstayed its welcome.

This is probalby just me, but Phineas and Ferb had a good 200+ episodes with the same basic premise and musical tie-ins. I didn't stay to see if it got run into the ground but I think at the very least it ran its course.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Phineas & Ferb never got outright bad, but by the end it definitely needed to be put down.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

MrSlam posted:

This is probalby just me, but Phineas and Ferb had a good 200+ episodes with the same basic premise and musical tie-ins. I didn't stay to see if it got run into the ground but I think at the very least it ran its course.

raditts posted:

Phineas & Ferb never got outright bad, but by the end it definitely needed to be put down.

Having just marathonned its entire run (~2 episodes a day every day for several months), I'm gonna say it definitely ended strong. I don't think it's accurate to say it "needed to be put down" since that sort of implies it was ailing a bit, which I don't think it was, but I think they definitely had a good run and entered what I would describe as a well deserved retirement.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Applewhite posted:

I'd be hard-pressed to name a Disney show that overstayed its welcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_television_series#Live_action_television_series

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SlothfulCobra posted:

Empathy has been a popular theme with liberal-type artists lately, largely because it's a concept that gets really short-changed elsewhere, but I'd actually be interested to see what a show like Wander or Steven Universe does with the concept of "some people are just bad actors and treating them like they're going to act reasonably will just get you hurt."

I'm not surprised that most of them haven't, because they're all basically going upstream against the current of "people who oppose you are faceless evil and you don't need to care about them", but I think it's also an important lesson that there are some people you can't make good-faith deals with.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Having just marathonned its entire run (~2 episodes a day every day for several months), I'm gonna say it definitely ended strong. I don't think it's accurate to say it "needed to be put down" since that sort of implies it was ailing a bit, which I don't think it was, but I think they definitely had a good run and entered what I would describe as a well deserved retirement.

For me it just became the start of that one episode of The Simpsons where the Itchy and Scratchy executives end up deciding to introduce Poochy: the show's still funny and good but the concept is worn out for me and I'm in no particular rush to go see it, still get a good laugh whenever I see it.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not surprised that most of them haven't, because they're all basically going upstream against the current of "people who oppose you are faceless evil and you don't need to care about them", but I think it's also an important lesson that there are some people you can't make good-faith deals with.
Didn't "How to train your Dragon 2" teach that lesson?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sorry, yes I should have specified animated TV series. I don't factor in the existence of Disney live action shows because my brain filters them out as extended commercials.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

For me it just became the start of that one episode of The Simpsons where the Itchy and Scratchy executives end up deciding to introduce Poochy: the show's still funny and good but the concept is worn out for me and I'm in no particular rush to go see it, still get a good laugh whenever I see it.

Yeah that makes sense. After 200 episodes they definitely start to blend together. But at the same time If I were to pick a random episode from season one and compare it to a random ep from season four, I doubt I'd notice a drop in quality. If anything the show became funnier with time and it was only fatigue that slowed me down from watching them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Applewhite posted:

Only one I can think of is Gargoyles' horrid third season, and that's due to Disney firing Weisman and some of the other people who made the first two seasons so good after they made the first episode for the season(which is the only episode of that season to still be considered canon)

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Applewhite posted:

Finally caught up with Wander over Yonder.

What is Dominator's deal?

Like, We know Hater does what he does because he's a pathetic manchild who's insecurities force him to surround himself with people he can bully because deep inside he worries nobody could ever actually love him.

Dominator, on the other hand, seems relatively well adjusted except for her nihilistic urge to destroy the galaxy for no reason. She doesn't seem to have a motive.

It's almost like she's a poorly written character or something.
I really don't understand why she exists. Everything else about this show is a 10, but she feels like one of the writers lost a bet with fanfiction.org. I usually like absolutely evil, 100% mean characters who stand true to their messed up code of ethics, but there's so much about her that seems like it's taken from Bad Writing 101: She's better than everyone else, outshines everyone with their own strengths, can not get foiled no matter what everyone does (with the exception of The Bot which ultimately didn't matter) and perfectly encapsulates the self-insert character of the average 15-year old fanfiction writer: Punk clothings (but no piercings or tattoos), flavor-of-the-month haircut, witty but serious, quick to catch on, everyone fawns over her, too cool to engage with any silly antics of the characters but still able to outdo them at their own game, the list goes on. I couldn't possibly imagine how the writers were planning on redeeming her, but I guess now I don't have to.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

horriblePencilist posted:

It's almost like she's a poorly written character or something.
I really don't understand why she exists. Everything else about this show is a 10, but she feels like one of the writers lost a bet with fanfiction.org. I usually like absolutely evil, 100% mean characters who stand true to their messed up code of ethics, but there's so much about her that seems like it's taken from Bad Writing 101: She's better than everyone else, outshines everyone with their own strengths, can not get foiled no matter what everyone does (with the exception of The Bot which ultimately didn't matter) and perfectly encapsulates the self-insert character of the average 15-year old fanfiction writer: Punk clothings (but no piercings or tattoos), flavor-of-the-month haircut, witty but serious, quick to catch on, everyone fawns over her, too cool to engage with any silly antics of the characters but still able to outdo them at their own game, the list goes on. I couldn't possibly imagine how the writers were planning on redeeming her, but I guess now I don't have to.

Wow yeah she bugs me for all those reasons. Also I don't get why she dresses like Hater? Like, she wears converse sneakers and has yellow lightning bolt horns and a cloak with red and black. Sure she made her costume bigger and scarier but it's still basically Hater's outfit. Why would she model her outfit after someone for whom she has no respect?

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 16, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Her "I'm the Bad Guy" song was on point though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

It stayed consistent in quality throughout its run, but that last season dragged out over the course of three years and two tie-ins with recent Disney acquisitions, so it clearly ran its course. Plus, Povenmire and Marsh are doing something else anyway, and they've probably wanted to start a new thing for a while. Eight years is a long time to work on any show. Most showrunners get bored doing the same thing all the time- Stephen Colbert got tired of doing his pundit character, and even Seth MacFarlene is getting kinda sick of Family Guy. The Simpsons is the exception to the rule, of course.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Applewhite posted:

The effect is probably lessened when watching them all in a row, but having new episodes pop up randomly and unadvertised every couple of weeks to couple of months, it felt like the later episodes were missing something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

It stayed consistent in quality throughout its run, but that last season dragged out over the course of three years and two tie-ins with recent Disney acquisitions, so it clearly ran its course. Plus, Povenmire and Marsh are doing something else anyway, and they've probably wanted to start a new thing for a while. Eight years is a long time to work on any show. Most showrunners get bored doing the same thing all the time- Stephen Colbert got tired of doing his pundit character, and even Seth MacFarlene is getting kinda sick of Family Guy. The Simpsons is the exception to the rule, of course.

The last season being dragged out for specials is pretty typical as it's preparation for reruns and maximizing the overall show length without an increase in production cost. I think Fairly Odd Parents was like that, but apparently there's still new seasons which boggles the mind.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I thought it was because they were working on doing a P&F movie which was later aborted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It might have been. I just chalked it up to Disney's usual crappy scheduling for new episodes. Wander Over Yonder may be kaput soon, but at least this season, new episodes came out on a consistent basis. Phineas and Ferb's last season and Gravity Falls's entire run never had that luxury.