Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't buy the most expensive sporting event or concert ticket, you buy the ones for the bands and teams you like, and there's no scale of price or popularity there, you go to the ones that are near you that you like. That doesn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

OwlFancier posted:

You don't buy the most expensive sporting event or concert ticket, you buy the ones for the bands and teams you like, and there's no scale of price or popularity there, you go to the ones that are near you that you like. That doesn't make any sense.

The most expensive teams or bands are also the most popular ones. Do you disagree?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They're expensive BECAUSE they're popular, you idiot. This is like econ 99 stuff.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

KillHour posted:

They're expensive BECAUSE they're popular, you idiot. This is like econ 99 stuff.

So?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So it's not an interesting question. The market for tickets to popular bands is mostly inelastic. You have to be trolling. Nobody is this stupid.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

KillHour posted:

So it's not an interesting question. The market for tickets to popular bands is mostly inelastic. You have to be trolling. Nobody is this stupid.

Ok.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

I think this guy may actually be this stupid

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

DoubleT2172 posted:

I think this guy may actually be this stupid

Go on.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

quote:

Where else is the most expensive product the most popular one?
It might be your mother, OP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jyrka posted:

The most expensive teams or bands are also the most popular ones. Do you disagree?

I don't know? It depends where they're playing I would imagine. And it depends what you mean by "most popular" because I doubt any one team or band accounts for a significant portion of all ticket sales, so it's not like there's a significant market share being occupied.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Did anyone say The Something Awful Forums circa 2007 yet??

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know? It depends where they're playing I would imagine. And it depends what you mean by "most popular" because I doubt any one team or band accounts for a significant portion of all ticket sales, so it's not like there's a significant market share being occupied.

To be fair there are a few sports teams that do have a popularity extending well beyond the geographic range of similar sports teams in their same leagues, and are essentially national or even global brands at this point. NY Yankees, Arsenal, Real Madrid, etc and if you talking about not just ticket sales but also licensed merch (a huge industry in and of itself) that also changes the geographic picture

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Actually just came across a fairly good example of this in the common scams thread. Tide detergent is very expensive relative to its major competitors, but has a 2:1 market share relative to the 2nd most popular brand (Gain, iirc).

See this article for more: http://nymag.com/news/features/tide-detergent-drugs-2013-1/

There's probably a boutique laundry detergent out there somewhere that's more expensive, but I think this fits the principle well.

Nevermind that the op is a bit incoherent.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

The answer is still marketing.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Hey op I have a valid answer to your question

Tide laundry detergent. More expensive than the competition and has such intense brand loyalty that there is actually a whole underground black market for the stuff. It is even accepted by drug dealers as currency in many parts of the US.

Your welcome.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tide detergent is a good example of this. It costs quite a bit more than other detergents, but it's still the best-selling brand. I guess people think that price = quality.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

A really good example of this is Tide detergent actually

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Has anyone brought up Tide yet?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo Tide should merge with Apple to form a super conglomerate and dominate all markets with their unassailable brand name recognition high demand.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Bottled water instead of gallon jug water.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
This loving thread

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
A 14 year old Brazilian stole OP's account and used it to post the dumbest A/T thread ever

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
You might be thinking of Tide OP

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
How about Nutella?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Tidal marketed itself as Spotify but more expensive, and that has become the most popular streaming music product on the market.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007
Hope there are enough answers here now to Tide you over

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
kraft singles

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Circumcision is the most expensive genitalia mutilation form and also the most popular with woman and gay men.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I only just realized last week that Tide is like 1/3 more expensive than every other detergent at the store. I just got into the habit of buying Tide 15 years ago and figured it was just another detergent. I guess that counts?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Last I heard, Tide detergent is the biggest selling product of it's type in the US, despite also being by far the most expensive. The brand has enough cachet that it's even used as a form of alternate currency among the hard drug community in some cities: http://nymag.com/news/features/tide-detergent-drugs-2013-1/

Amazing what a difference a brand can make.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Tide is the most popular movement of water

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

A 14 year old Brazilian stole OP's account and used it to post the dumbest A/T thread ever

How many is a brazillion?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
The OP sounds like a grey market Slavic reseller, communicating through a 2000s Era translation bot.

OP: steal me a pair of Nike romaleos plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
ShamWow anyone?

• Locked thread