Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think in my next game I'm going to have factories for making everything, just so I can use trains to feed my giant foundries. And then I'll have a reason to install your honk mod, GotLag.

Or I'll actually try a non peaceful game for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Solumin posted:

I think in my next game I'm going to have factories for making everything, just so I can use trains to feed my giant foundries. And then I'll have a reason to install your honk mod, GotLag.

Or I'll actually try a non peaceful game for once.

I suggest using RSO or turning resource frequency way down, that'll spread resources out nicely and encourage investing in rail infrastructure.

Also, if you're not already, use Rail Tanker for transporting your oil (and maybe oil products to factories). Loading tankers is slow (50 seconds), as you can only get one pump per side to hook up, but if you use Flow Control's express pumps that drops to 10 seconds.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Indecisive posted:

Okay, do I have ANY chance of taking out a big worm midgame (just finished getting blue science online)? The biters established an expansion right outside my base that's been driving me crazy and it has a big worm and medium worm that just wreck me if I go near it. Piercing ammo in my SMG seems to do approximately nothing, throwing a fuckton of grenades seemed to make a dent, maybe I'll just have to make like 50 of those and do a few hit and runs?

If you've got blue science online just research Military 3 and Tanks and then build a tank.

You don't even need to put ammo in it: just ram the fuckers.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

cock hero flux posted:

If you've got blue science online just research Military 3 and Tanks and then build a tank.

You don't even need to put ammo in it: just ram the fuckers.

poison capsules are probably easier to put together ad-hoc (coal and iron vs. actually needing a dedicated assembler for the engine blocks)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

President Ark posted:

poison capsules are probably easier to put together ad-hoc (coal and iron vs. actually needing a dedicated assembler for the engine blocks)

The car needs engine units too so by the time you get to Tanks I figure most people have the infrastructure for engine units already in place, and the rest of it you can assemble in hand or steal from the blue science line. Plus once you have the tank up and running you can use it to kill as many worms as you need pretty much just by driving into them, and if you bother loading the cannon you can take whole nests without much trouble.

Besides this is about the time you start getting into Robotics so you'll need an assembly line for electric engine units soon anyway.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

GotLag posted:

I suggest using RSO or turning resource frequency way down, that'll spread resources out nicely and encourage investing in rail infrastructure.

Also, if you're not already, use Rail Tanker for transporting your oil (and maybe oil products to factories). Loading tankers is slow (50 seconds), as you can only get one pump per side to hook up, but if you use Flow Control's express pumps that drops to 10 seconds.

So what's the point of having fuel barrels?
I mean they are basically pointless if you don't use them for transportation.
It's kind of fun to send empty, fill, send back full, unfill, start over

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Barrels have three advantages: they can be handled by a logistics network, they prevent some of the liquid loss when deconstructing pipes or fluid factories, and probably most importantly they provide far denser storage (tanker car/storage tank: 2500 oil, boxcar with barrels: 7500 oil, steel chest with barrels: 12000 oil). These come at the cost of additional complexity, and steel for the barrels.

And just like Rail Tanker is an essential mod for fluid handling (it's even getting added to the base game in the next release), Fluid Barrels is an essential mod for barrel handling.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

I think bob's mod have a even better approach than this mod: for liquid it uses the barrels, while for gas it uses the gas tanks. Makes sense since you could not possible bottle high pressure gas in a barrel.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Doublepost:
Is there a mod which does what roadwork use to do?
I mean: something that makes your car faster, through the building of roads/better fuel/better cars.
This is since i started using RSO my new outposts are really far and going there by normal car takes ages

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Driving on concrete makes the car go about as fast as the train.

e: Also, I think belts increase car speed, and it probably fully stacks with the concrete bonus

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Building belts all along the rails and driving on them doesn't really seem a reliable solution (mainly because driving for me is impossible and i always end up in a tree or electric pole)

Roadwork use to have the speed bonus fuel which burned at a crazy rate, so you had to have refueling stations around. But god that fuel used to make the car so fast.
However for some reason the mod author decided to strip all these neat features and just leave the bridge building feature.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

RattiRatto posted:

So what's the point of having fuel barrels?
I mean they are basically pointless if you don't use them for transportation.
It's kind of fun to send empty, fill, send back full, unfill, start over
Barrels exist because pipes suck at sending fluids long distance and they were quicker to implement than a rail tanker.

I'm quite happy to never make a single barrel, I like the idea of a class of resource/product that isn't just another thing to put on belts or move with bots.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've realized from playing Factorio that what I really want is a game about building a rail network through an infinite uninhabited wasteland, and populating it with bug-crushing war trains, and the occasional automated, self-sufficient easy-to-setup depot for repair and resupply.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've used the Rail Tanker mod a bit, but mostly I found it really finicky to set up correctly. :shrug:

Slashrat posted:

I've realized from playing Factorio that what I really want is a game about building a rail network through an infinite uninhabited wasteland, and populating it with bug-crushing war trains, and the occasional automated, self-sufficient easy-to-setup depot for repair and resupply.

OpenTTD: Mad Max edition.

(Seriously, if you want to focus on the trains aspect of Factorio, just go play OpenTTD.)

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
Is there a mod that gives a bigger toolbelt? Only thing I've found is Larger Inventory, but that doesn't touch the toolbelt itself.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've installed this but haven't reached the extra tiers in research yet, so don't know how well it works.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=17033

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I liked the idea of not crafting by hand, but not being able to hand-craft at all would get annoying very quickly. I think I've found an interesting medium:
  1. Download and extract Burner Assembly Machine to your Factorio mods folder
  2. Edit prototypes/entity/burner-assembling-machine-entity.lua and change ingredient_count to 3 (so you can make more burner assemblers, burner miners, etc)
  3. Replace the contents of control.lua with the following:
code:
require "defines"

script.on_event(defines.events.on_player_created, function(event)
  game.get_player(event.player_index).insert{name="burner-assembling-machine", count=1}
  game.get_player(event.player_index).force.manual_crafting_speed_modifier = -0.90
end)
This makes you start a new game with a coal-fired assembler in your inventory, and crafting anything by hand takes 10 times longer than normal (assembling machines are unaffected). Now you've got the ability (and a real incentive) to automate things from the start instead of just brute-force hand-crafting your way through automation research.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I played through the tutorials and started a full game (I think?). I'm several hours in now and am starting to pick things up, but I have a few questions:

- Is there a way to auto-feed coal into boilers? I have a coal belt with injectors pointed at the boilers, but nothing ever happens. This setup works for raw materials in furnaces and assemblers, but this is the first time I've tried it for fuel and it's not working.

- I have a pretty big mining operation now, but I haven't seen any biters at all. I don't remember turning them off, but I'm several hours into the game and there haven't been any. If there aren't any creatures on the map, am I locked out of certain technologies?

- I started playing around 9pm last night, then looked at the clock and it was 2am. What happened?

This game is pretty rad so far, but I feel like I'm still terrible at it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

I played through the tutorials and started a full game (I think?). I'm several hours in now and am starting to pick things up, but I have a few questions:

- Is there a way to auto-feed coal into boilers? I have a coal belt with injectors pointed at the boilers, but nothing ever happens. This setup works for raw materials in furnaces and assemblers, but this is the first time I've tried it for fuel and it's not working.

- I have a pretty big mining operation now, but I haven't seen any biters at all. I don't remember turning them off, but I'm several hours into the game and there haven't been any. If there aren't any creatures on the map, am I locked out of certain technologies?

- I started playing around 9pm last night, then looked at the clock and it was 2am. What happened?

This game is pretty rad so far, but I feel like I'm still terrible at it.

Yes you can autofeed coal into boilers the same way as everything else. Boilers do not actually need nearly as much fuel as you'd think, though, so it's normal for them to just sit there most of the time and not load anything.

If you didn't turn the aliens off, then they're around. If you turned them down you might have to go looking for them, though. Yes, there are late game techs that require you to raid alien colonies for materials. But believe me: if you didn't gently caress with the alien settings at all there's probably a giant hive of the bastards lurking just out of your range waiting to catch a whiff of pollution and come gently caress your poo poo up.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

Inserters can definitely be used to insert fuel into boilers (as well as furnaces or even burner mining drills), so something in your layout must be amiss. Post a screenshot if you can't figure out what's wrong.

WhiteHowler posted:

The nearest biter colony can be fairly far away sometimes, it happens. Just take it as a good thing and use the extra time to prepare some turrets and a lot of bullets. But yes, without any biters at all you cannot get alien artifacts, completely locking you out from the endgame technology, including the rocket silo which is the current win condition.

WhiteHowler posted:

*flashes a light in your eyes* Weather balloon, nothing to worry about.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Make sure your inserters are pointed the right direction and that they have fuel/power (for burner/non-burner, respectively). This is the setup I typically use, 14 boilers for every 10 steam engines, with a break halfway through the steam engines to allow passage.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The probable cause is the boilers are ALREADY full of fuel from when he hand loaded them, they won't load more until they need it

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Indecisive posted:

The probable cause is the boilers are ALREADY full of fuel from when he hand loaded them, they won't load more until they need it

To add to this, boilers will only stock 5 coal at a time. As soon as they deplete below 5 coal, they will load more until they have 5 total coal.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
And this ladies and gents is what happens when you play with goons. Presented without further comment: Wormschwitz

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ratzap posted:

And this ladies and gents is what happens when you play with goons. Presented without further comment: Wormschwitz

Oh wow, it took me a sec to realize those were conveyor belts on the ground. Now I want to see video of it!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I found some pictures on a multiplayer base my brother & I did a while back, so I joined them together to show the entire base. This is at the most zoomed out that still shows labels.

Each little dot is a roboport spaced so that each can just build the next one. The squares with holes are accumulators(8x48 per donut IIRC) and the doted lines are solar panels: The entire base is walled in and laser turret protected, we originally had every roboport square also be walled in but it became too much of a hassle.
Sadly I don't have pictures of after we filled it out, but it had a train test track running along the south shore of the big lake, a few oil barrelling and recycling stations & 3 times as many tank refuelling and rearming stations. Ultimately it was abandoned because it got to big for multiplayer to work.

Bonus: multitrack drifting, taken on the train test track.

http://i.imgur.com/joeQVhn.webm

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

GotLag posted:

Honk! 0.2.0
Now with more honking action! Two short taps when a train moves, one longer blast when braking for a signal or station.

I love this. Any chance you can make it do a full Rule 14(l) long long short long pattern when approaching a gate? :spergin:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Hel posted:

I found some pictures on a multiplayer base my brother & I did a while back, so I joined them together to show the entire base. This is at the most zoomed out that still shows labels.

Each little dot is a roboport spaced so that each can just build the next one. The squares with holes are accumulators(8x48 per donut IIRC) and the doted lines are solar panels: The entire base is walled in and laser turret protected, we originally had every roboport square also be walled in but it became too much of a hassle.
Sadly I don't have pictures of after we filled it out, but it had a train test track running along the south shore of the big lake, a few oil barrelling and recycling stations & 3 times as many tank refuelling and rearming stations. Ultimately it was abandoned because it got to big for multiplayer to work.

Nice work but where's all the concrete? ;)

SinineSiil posted:

Oh wow, it took me a sec to realize those were conveyor belts on the ground. Now I want to see video of it!

The red belts serve two purposes: they move the worms to the edges with the guns and then they move the artifact fragments the dead worms drop to the exit at the top. Those are shipped to an area where they are made into full artifacts and plugged into the research system. The whole thing was Drone's terrible idea, rather than take all the effort of mowing down worm towns for artifacts, just wall one in and harvest the respawns forever.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
This was linked a while back, but holy poo poo, the Living With Biters LP is worth being linked again:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOx2-nvzE_ZJXS1sQDUzWtvBLn9ZPyUXk

Here he is trying to get a horde of biters out of his steam power plant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4grAIooKIc&t=608s

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ratzap posted:

Nice work but where's all the concrete? ;)

Sadly this was before the invention of concrete, the pictures are dated February 2015. We have a current game where we are just setting up concrete production, so wait a few weeks and and you'll see.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Stick Insect posted:

I love this. Any chance you can make it do a full Rule 14(l) long long short long pattern when approaching a gate? :spergin:

Sadly there's no API train event associated with gates, so I'd have to be constantly polling trains, determining location, and searching for nearby gates.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

GotLag posted:

I liked the idea of not crafting by hand, but not being able to hand-craft at all would get annoying very quickly.

This was my approach: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=14222

Qubee
May 31, 2013

drat, I did a major overhaul of my base, because my spawn point was awful. I had so many coal and copper deposits, but barely any iron. It really stagnated automation. So once I got construction robots unlocked, I started deconstructing huge swathes of my factory and redesigning it so it was more streamlined (especially once I had a working rail system in that could deliver iron ore from far away).

Problem I face now is the biters are getting to medium size and I've got pockets of factory all over the map and I've got to keep running back and forth to defend it against attacking swarms. I'm spending more time fighting off swarms and repairing the damage that it's preventing me from setting up proper perimeter defenses.

I've got no laser / ammo turret automation so I've got to build it all by hand and it's nightmarish.

Gotta say though it went from boring to really fun, I'm enjoying the challenge of getting things running smoothly. I just hope I don't stay stuck in this swarmer limbo where they prevent me from progressing. I think my best bet is to start wiping out the nearest nests to give me more time between attacking swarms.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Stick Insect posted:

I thought it was just three long? Or is it company dependant? It's been a long time since I've lived in a rail town and there's only really one company in this country

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

GotLag posted:

Sadly there's no API train event associated with gates, so I'd have to be constantly polling trains, determining location, and searching for nearby gates.

What about the gate? Can you make the GATE make the toot?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Finally managed to unlock a tank, got full automatic for my 3 science packs, things are looking good. Now I'm working on churning out walls so I can set up a strong perimeter, then I'll automate turret production and bolster my piercing ammo production.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Two hours work on a max biter world with high terrain fragmentation, and the result is a beautiful kind of working chaos: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10190786/chaos.png

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Mithaldu posted:

Two hours work on a max biter world with high terrain fragmentation, and the result is a beautiful kind of working chaos: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10190786/chaos.png

This is a fairly appropriate post/avatar combo.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Game 2, day 3, rocket done!

Man next time i tweak the world settings even more. I tried to set bigger fields that are less common, but this iron field lasted me the entire game, tad ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've played a half dozen or more games of Factorio, and in only one of them have I even started the Rocket Silo research.

So uh... congrats! You've made it far really quickly!