Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Take the deal so I can see what happens and don't have to play through again right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Screw that deal. Double or nothing.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
They're sweating. They wouldn't offer a deal if they didn't have reason to be worried about our plan. Hell no.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Wordybird posted:

Screw that deal. Double or nothing.

"Like getting 11 in Blackjack. Double down, don't think about it."

(this is my vote too)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
No way, Reject The Deal. First they tell us that our plan won't work, it never does. And then they try to cut a deal? What's the point of the deal if they can just wait it out?

Also, I am guessing that those time loops are not actually loops. The voices mention seeing the universe die over and over, so we're seeing/experiencing other timelines that occurred before (or after) this one. It's more like peering into quantum realities that are mostly identical but with small differences. They are all real.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No Deal. They wouldn't offer something unless they were worried.

Although I'm secretly kind of hoping for this to end badly.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

Here's the bonus video with background music taken out, for those who find English hard to understand!

:911: :911: :911: :911: (I'll get the real one out later tonight)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
No deal because come on in what universe is someone going to write a video game where abandoning your friend is the correct decision?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Aumanor posted:

gently caress them and gently caress their deal

gently caress these undead/extra-dimensional clowns, at least try to save everyone.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

No deal! They called us cattle. We make promises to cattle too (in a way), but you know how that ends up.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
No Deal. If we let them have Clarissa, that is a guaranteed foothold situation in this timeline/reality for the ghosts, and I honestly don't think them having four puppets rather than one is going to make much of a difference if we fail anyway. Maybe Ren dies, maybe all of us die, but that's better than whatever the hell the ghosts would do to the rest of the world. Of course this is assuming that they're actively harmful to the fabric of reality rather than just super desperate but still.

(also holy poo poo this LP is awesome, thanks for doing this, dude.)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

No background music bonus video

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Maybe the anomalies are spelling something out? Lot of them start with a letter and a number.

The graveyard one: Easy 3.

E in the third position?

And "Easy" was the actual word for E from the period 1941-1956...

Millitary base shooting range: Golf 7
Above the infirmary: Edith/Eden 9
Third millitary base: Charlie 6
Forest: George <YOU WALKED AWAY HERE!>

..E..CG.E

Which pattern matches no words! Yay! :(

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I mentioned earlier in the thread that the "spooky radio transmissions" theme in Oxenfree reminded me a lot of Banshee Chapter, and as it turns out, the tune used in the first stone cairn anomaly you listened to in the round-up video also features prominently in that movie. It's apparently from a real-world "numbers station" broadcast called "Swedish Rhapsody" after that tune.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The graveyard anomaly references this thing about guests and hospitality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Saint_Benedict#Popular_legend

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

No deal

I just caught up to the LP and update 6 was the first one that really made my hair stand up on end. It's been pretty mildly creepy the whole way through, but the entire thing in the house was just another level.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
No deal

We don't abandon our friends, and Clarissa is, for all her flaws, one of the few links we have to Mike.

This is a really great LP of a really great game. The 'loops' leave me absolutely creeped out whenever they occur, and having them intermixed with the banalities of everyday conversation heightens the effect.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
No deal, they wouldn't try to negotiate if their hand was as strong as they claim.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Take the deal, eldritch horrors have never steered me wrong!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

No deal

She's a massive arse but she doesn't deserve this fate.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Just a heads up, Oxenfree has had 25% knocked off its sale price until 21st of March. A good time to pick it up if you have the money and want to get it before the next big sale!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Awesome, I'll put that up on the OP.

So I wonder if all the anomolies are referencing some horror property? They certainly don't fit in with what we know about the ghosts so far, or maybe they're meant to expand on their powers? Like a general malevolent turn of the mind?

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
I say save Clarissa, no one asked for this, and they wouldn't negotiate if they couldn't just stop us.

No deal.

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
No Deal. I don't think we can trust the ghosts at all.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Take the deal

Lazy Gun
Apr 7, 2009
Fun Shoe
Well, maybe if they threw in a Gameboy? No?

Fine, NO DEAL!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm proud of you, goons.

We reject the deal, and save Clarissa (sorry Gschmidl, you'll have to play through again!)

When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not; but my faculties are decaying, now, & soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the latter. It is sad to go to pieces like this, but we all have to do it.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 20, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Bacter posted:

I'm proud of you, goons.

We reject the deal, and save Clarissa

Are you implying that you are not proud of the goons who advocated taking the deal? Because I can assure you, we Take Dealers are all the best kind of people who have only the purest and best thought out motivations

For example, I advocated taking the deal because:

1) I prefer Possessed Clarissa to Normal Clarissa
2) These ghosts are technically war veterans. Support our troops, guys, c'mon.

(Spoiler tags in case someone has read through the thread without watching the videos yet which I do sometimes)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
So what happens if you give different advice than your reflection did?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

The game's on sale!

:v:

I didn't actually do it - neither have I let Jonas listen to his mom. That's a personal goal for the next play-through.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 20, 2016

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta say, the ending seems... rushed?

Suddenly Nona and Ren are dating, the ghosts are gone, just like that... It just all happened instantly and did not feel right. Beautiful moments, each individual one, but... Just such a rush to the end.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

No Gravitas posted:

Suddenly Nona and Ren are dating, the ghosts are gone, just like that... It just all happened instantly and did not feel right. Beautiful moments, each individual one, but... Just such a rush to the end.

Yeah but then the loop starts again immediately at the end, suggesting that nothing was actually solved.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

I do agree. But yeah, as suggested, there's quite a bit more to the story. You can... change a lot!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh I wanted to mention something that seems extremely cool to me. I don't have any confirmation on this, just a hunch.

If you look at the credits in the very, very end, you'll see that Ghost Alex was played by "[blank]". That's actually the Steam Name of a buddy of mine who owns Oxenfree, and who recommended it to me.

So I'm thinking, maybe this is like Dark Souls! Maybe if any of MY steam friends get the game, Ghost Alex will give them MY advice. Which is SUPER COOL!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I was wondering about that and it explains why you're free to say whatever you want in that sequence.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
On top of that, if you paid attention, during the final bit where you play as Ghost Alex, there was the name "Bacter" in green letters over her head. I have a feeling your picks will be replayed in another person's game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

And, in fact

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

[Illusionary wall ahead]
[Try massive attack]

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
So, in the end, she is stuck in the loop just as the ghosts said she would be. I guess as long as she isn't reliving eons and watching the universe end over and over she won't go insane. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Noisycat posted:

So, in the end, she is stuck in the loop just as the ghosts said she would be. I guess as long as she isn't reliving eons and watching the universe end over and over she won't go insane. Maybe.

I think it is more that the repetition of the universe is just a fact of life. Infinite Time, Finite Matter. Basically it seems to be saying that the universe follows a Big Crunch scenario. Where the Big Bang occurs, then after a long period of time gravity then pulls everything back in with a Big Crunch. With all matter of the universe now in a single point, it explodes with a Big Bang again. With infinite time, this process plays out over and over and over again forever. Maybe initial conditions are wildly different, but giving enough time things will repeat aaaallllmmmoossstt the same. Even with a near infinite number of starting permutations, unless it is actually infinite, everything will repeat infinitely.

The horror of the submarine crew is that they are unstuck in time, so they see this process first hand, while apparently unable to influence anything for all but a few days out of every entire Big Bang/Big Crunch universe, and that's only if the universe has the luck to spawn an Earth, that also has the luck to spawn Humans, that also has the luck to spawn America, that also has the luck to spawn a military base on this island, that also has the luck to spawn a group of teens celebrating the end of the school year.

I'd be insane and pissed too.

• Locked thread