Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

I'm still a bit baffled that they cranked out Daredevil Season 2 before finishing up the initial run of series' that were announced from Day 1...but what do I know? I guess DD did SO well that they had to follow it up.

Yeah you can't have your whole cast sitting idle for 2-3 years especially if it's a smash hit.

I read on twitter that Luke Cage had its wrap party today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Was DD a smash hit? How do you tell? I loved it and everyone I recommended it to did also but I have no way of gauging its popularity outside of anecdotal stuff like talking to my comic book nerd friends. Did it really kick a lot of rear end ratings wise?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
You can bet Netflix knows exactly how successful Daredevil was, so the proof is in the renewal.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Netflix thought it deserved a second season, that's all the ratings information you're going to get.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Was DD a smash hit? How do you tell? I loved it and everyone I recommended it to did also but I have no way of gauging its popularity outside of anecdotal stuff like talking to my comic book nerd friends. Did it really kick a lot of rear end ratings wise?

My uncle works at Netflix.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

jivjov posted:

I'm still a bit baffled that they cranked out Daredevil Season 2 before finishing up the initial run of series' that were announced from Day 1...but what do I know? I guess DD did SO well that they had to follow it up.

Same tbh. I watched some of the NYCC interviews with the writers room and they mentioned they were pumping out the scripts during production which seems to run against what they did in season 1.

Season 2 won't be dire but at this point it doesn't look like it'll be quite as good as season 1 because of the limited time frame they had.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Netflix thought it deserved a second season, that's all the ratings information you're going to get.

Didn't Netflix release the ratings for Daredevil unlike every other show?

Yeah: https://variety.com/2015/digital/news/netflix-originals-viewer-data-1201480234/

Basically Daredevil was ridiculously popular.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

HIJK posted:

Didn't Netflix release the ratings for Daredevil unlike every other show?

Yeah: https://variety.com/2015/digital/news/netflix-originals-viewer-data-1201480234/

Basically Daredevil was ridiculously popular.

I don't disagree that Daredevil was popular, but those numbers aren't from Netflix, it's a third party company polling select Netflix subscribers, unless I misread something.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

They wouldn't have renewed it for a second season if it wasn't extremely popular.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

They wouldn't have renewed it for a second season if it wasn't extremely popular.

they gave that show with the magic gypsy thieves and weird vampires three seasons

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because it was popular.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Also I think they announced the renewal right after it premiered.

Also adding: comixology has a decent sale on a bunch of different DD comics. Some frank Miller books, and a bunch of more recent ones too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Weren't there stories about how many people were streaming Daredevil and it was setting records at Netflix or something? I seem to remember that there were more hints that it was massively popular than Netflix just renewing it. Though if I remember correctly the renewal announcement for both Daredevil and Jessica Jones came pretty quick.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Streaming services have killer analytics. They literally know exactly how many users watched their shows. And how many times, at what rate...they can generate heatmaps for the most watched timecode of a given episode if they wanted.

I can only tell myself that to justify in my own mind why Marco Polo got renewed. How the gently caress did *that* happen? I guess it did great somewhere, because literally nobody I know has seen a minute of it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd be more curious to see how Jessica Jones did in the ratings.

Also the Daredevil show has had a much more flexible "No Killing" rule, with Murdock unflinchingly putting guys in comas and setting a dude on fire.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

Also the Daredevil show has had a much more flexible "No Killing" rule, with Murdock unflinchingly putting guys in comas and setting a dude on fire.
Not half as flexible as the one in Arrow. Oliver would break into a building and murder half a dozen low level mooks, the janitor, and some guy who just wandered in to ask directions at the front desk... then he'd knock out the big boss and say "I'M THE HERO, SEE YOU IN COURT MOTHERFUCKER!".

No Olly, you're not the hero.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He never killed any of those people according to Detective Lance, leading expert on bodies dropped.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

jivjov posted:

Kind of makes sense since none of the creative teams seem to overlap.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

tooterfish posted:

Not half as flexible as the one in Arrow. Oliver would break into a building and murder half a dozen low level mooks, the janitor, and some guy who just wandered in to ask directions at the front desk... then he'd knock out the big boss and say "I'M THE HERO, SEE YOU IN COURT MOTHERFUCKER!".

No Olly, you're not the hero.

Don't be ridiculous, those were nonlethal arrow wounds

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Season 2 gets a B+ from the AV Club, they said that Punisher and Elektra were particularly strong.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Maluco Marinero posted:

You can bet Netflix knows exactly how successful Daredevil was, so the proof is in the renewal.

Yeah they probably have some really intense analytics that measure complex stuff we haven't even thought to measure. I'm sure Netflix gets more accurate data on viewership than any of the cable or network companies ever did.

My guess is Netflix can also measure which of their shows are subscription sellers by looking at what people are watching immediately after starting their subscription. If they see spikes in subscriptions and free trials, and see that those people are all watching Daredevil, they know it is popular. If a high enough percentage of those people watch all 13 episodes, they know it is good too. My guess is it was very popular.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix is stacking paper to the ceiling so whatever metrics they are using are pretty good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Netflix is stacking paper to the ceiling so whatever metrics they are using are pretty good.

It's all the metrics.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The analytics are actually heartening. I got showtime just to watch The Circus, and that's basically all I watch on their online service.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

zoux posted:

Season 2 gets a B+ from the AV Club, they said that Punisher and Elektra were particularly strong.

That's surprising coming from that cess pool of a website.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Deakul posted:

Sava will probably be doing weekly reviews though, so don't count your chickens.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Sava will probably be doing weekly reviews though, so don't count your chickens.

They kicked him off SHIELD lol.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I generally like tv articles that delve into larger cultural contexts (Sonia Saraiya is regularly fantastic), but Sava really went off the deep end this past year.

He was particularly harsh on Agent Carter for no descernible reason.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

zoux posted:

They kicked him off SHIELD lol.

I don't know anything about AV Club but I sense drama, give me deets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HIJK posted:

I don't know anything about AV Club but I sense drama, give me deets.

Oh he just slammed everything and bitched about the show and gave it lower grades than the comments thought it should get. Comment sections for shows over there develop little subcultures and memes just like threads do here, and gently caress Oliver Sava was a big one.

I mean I have no idea why he stopped covering the show, I just noticed he was gone when I read last week's review.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Deakul posted:

Oh, please. Some of their critics are better than others, but they're great overall.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

zoux posted:

Oh he just slammed everything and bitched about the show and gave it lower grades than the comments thought it should get. Comment sections for shows over there develop little subcultures and memes just like threads do here, and gently caress Oliver Sava was a big one.

I mean I have no idea why he stopped covering the show, I just noticed he was gone when I read last week's review.

Hahaha oh man. Maybe now he has a chance to move on to something he likes better.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Barry Convex posted:

Oh, please. Some of their critics are better than others, but they're great overall.

Sure some critics are better than others, but overall AV Club has it's head so far up it's own rear end it's ridiculous. They really are the Rock Paper Shotgun of television, pretentious and preachy as poo poo, but sometimes you read them because they're slightly less garbage than the alternatives.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Barry Convex posted:

No, they aren't.
They're a bunch of pretentious knobs that get hung up on minute details and let that determine the overall grade of an episode or series.

And then they also cater to their own stupid community by constantly bringing up shipping and general tumblr crap.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 17, 2016

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sure some critics are better than others, but overall AV Club has it's head so far up it's own rear end it's ridiculous. They really are the Rock Paper Shotgun of television, pretentious and preachy as poo poo, but sometimes you read them because they're slightly less garbage than the alternatives.

What critics do you like?

I always enjoyed the AV Club but a bunch of their talented writers left in a big exodus. Their writing hasn't quite been the same since.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

Everything being relative they're still trash. I'd read the SA movie reviews again before engaging anything written on AV Club, and I was not a fan of them either

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

What critics do you like?

I always enjoyed the AV Club but a bunch of their talented writers left in a big exodus. Their writing hasn't quite been the same since.

To where did they go?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/16/marvels-daredevil-season-2-ew-review
Ew didn't like it either, lot of it seems like this critic takes out a thesaurus to find words to sound smarter and more profound.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lot of these negative reviews are stuff that was there in season 1 but they overlooked because ooh, one shot hallway fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/16/marvels-daredevil-season-2-ew-review
Ew didn't like it either, lot of it seems like this critic takes out a thesaurus to find words to sound smarter and more profound.

quote:

The initial, haphazardly plotted Daredevil/Punisher “arc” is a flatline of inert drama, with long scenes of windy exposition or dull skulking interrupted by the occasional well-staged if ridiculously gory fight sequence.

Hope for improvement arrives in episode 5 with the formal introduction of Elektra, Matt’s former flame, played by Elodie Yung (Gods of Egypt), who brings some compelling trouble with her. Elektra’s a genre cliché—the exotic kick-rear end—but Yung has such fun with the role and generates enough chemistry with Cox to win you over.

Mmm that passive voice in the second sentence, this guys knows his poo poo.