Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Athletic Footjob posted:

New The Knocks song [url= Me Like That (feat. Carly Rae Jepsen)[/url].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BBVsTeoKy8
I was very confused by that link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Trip report: just got back from Carly Rae Jepsen concert and it ruled. Right before she sang All That, some dude in the balcony yelled "BEST ALBUM OF 2015", which one of you was that?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Not me. I would've also said best album of 2016 too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dexo posted:

She's gotta perform this song at the superbowl.

I've been working through old posts in this thread, catching up, and I just wanted to say congrats on this post ending up being right.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
God dammit, Meghan Trainor. I was so content disliking you for that abortion "Dear Future Husband". Why you gotta make things complicated with a good new song?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

gandlethorpe posted:

God dammit, Meghan Trainor. I was so content disliking you for that abortion "Dear Future Husband". Why you gotta make things complicated with a good new song?

It's very Samantha Mumba/Christina Milian in the best way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing about Meghan Trainor that sort of befuddles me is how she cites Frank Sinatra as one of her main influences, and says that the songs she writes and performs (at least in the Title era) are going for this sort of Frank Sinatra style, but I honestly can't hear it at all. I think her music's more along the lines of somebody like Clyde McPhatter or the Coasters than Frank Sinatra. I can't really hear very much Sinatra in her music.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
How does this thread feel about Melanie Martinez? I guess some might find her shtick annoying, but her tracks generally seem to be of a pretty high quality.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

How does this thread feel about Melanie Martinez? I guess some might find her shtick annoying, but her tracks generally seem to be of a pretty high quality.

I read this too fast as Martina Martinez.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing about Meghan Trainor that sort of befuddles me is how she cites Frank Sinatra as one of her main influences, and says that the songs she writes and performs (at least in the Title era) are going for this sort of Frank Sinatra style, but I honestly can't hear it at all. I think her music's more along the lines of somebody like Clyde McPhatter or the Coasters than Frank Sinatra. I can't really hear very much Sinatra in her music.
If I were a white American, I'd probably cite Frank Sinatra too.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Ugh, it has happened. I cannot loving stand Meghan Trainor, but "No" really is pretty good.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Aww gently caress Tegan and Sara are releasing a new album on June 3rd it's called 'Love You To Death' with the first song coming April 8th.

Not to be outdone Ladyhawke is releasing a new album also on June 3rd.

Should be a pretty good day.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Hell yeah

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Aww gently caress Tegan and Sara are releasing a new album on June 3rd it's called 'Love You To Death' with the first song coming April 8th.

Should be a pretty good day.

Heartthrob was such a slept on album. I Was A Fool is probably one of my top 10 pop songs of the decade.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Only just figuring out how much I like Zella Day. Can anyone suggest artists in a similar vein to her?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ghost emoji posted:

Heartthrob was such a slept on album. I Was A Fool is probably one of my top 10 pop songs of the decade.

Agreed. It's a perfect song

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Girl Crush is cool and good, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYZMT8otKdI

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
She's back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_sbMRkYetY

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I listened to Dangerous Woman and I think it is impossible for Ariana Grande to release a bad single. I think she's probably a pretty annoying human being, and she looks like a 6th grader, but all of her songs are really awesome.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

I listened to Dangerous Woman and I think it is impossible for Ariana Grande to release a bad single. I think she's probably a pretty annoying human being, and she looks like a 6th grader, but all of her songs are really awesome.

Counterpoint; Focus.

edit: but Dangerous Woman is great, thanks for piping up with that one, wasn't even aware it came out.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It's too bad her albums aren't that good. Ariana idolizes Mariah as a singer, but more up and comers should seek to emulate her as a songwriter. Mariah had fantastic albums beyond the singles, and it's all thanks to her prowess as a songwriter.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

the truth posted:

It's too bad her albums aren't that good. Ariana idolizes Mariah as a singer, but more up and comers should seek to emulate her as a songwriter. Mariah had fantastic albums beyond the singles, and it's all thanks to her prowess as a songwriter.

Mariah Carey wrote her own songs? I didn't know that.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Yes, Mariah has written the vast majority of her songs, and almost all of her hits. That's a big part of why she was able to be such a dominant force in the music industry from the 90s and into the early 00s - she didn't have to rely on anyone else to write for her.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_written_by_Mariah_Carey

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spiteski posted:

Counterpoint; Focus.

edit: but Dangerous Woman is great, thanks for piping up with that one, wasn't even aware it came out.

Focus would have been better if she had finished the chorus before they released it. It literally sounds like it's a week away from release and someone was just like "eh, gently caress it, who needs the singer on a chorus"

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Focus is one of the worst major singles in years, it's a thoroughly terrible, thoroughly obvious attempt at remaking Problem, but much worse in every single way. Recipe for success right there

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Speaking of Ariana Grande:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uBph38kXo

Some of those are seriously impressive.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah she has talent I guess but all her music just sounds straight up generic. The only songs I remember off the top of my head from her are Problem. Since then I feel like she had a poo poo load of horns and poo poo in her songs or they're just too samey.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

yes i'm a g from the a and they ask y

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

^burtle posted:

yes i'm a g from the a and they ask y

Love me some donglover

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anyone seen CRJ live? Debating going to see her but she's opening for Hedley who I don't care to see so it would only be for the opening act.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cerepol posted:

Anyone seen CRJ live? Debating going to see her but she's opening for Hedley who I don't care to see so it would only be for the opening act.

Jesus christ she has terrible agents. I know it's been said before, but it can't be said enough.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Cerepol posted:

Yeah it's a good show. She doesn't do much in the way of choreography, but she's got solid stage presense and her between-song stage chat is entertaining without sounding scripted.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Cerepol posted:

I saw her this past weekend. She's knows how to put on a fun show (she donned a cape and sang with a mic stand wrapped in pearls for a few songs) and feeds off the energy of the crowd well. She's also apt to grab the hands of whoever is reaching out to her and once even took someone's cell phone to snap a selfie between songs. Her backing band is pretty tight, too, so you don't have to worry about it being just her singing over pre-recorded tracks or whatever.

Here's a crappy photo I snapped at the show just for the hell of it:

interpunct fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 18, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Jesus christ she has terrible agents. I know it's been said before, but it can't be said enough.

Wasn't she performing at an airport or a strip mall or something last year?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

Wasn't she performing at an airport or a strip mall or something last year?
Yeah one of the JFK terminals

There was also that secret concert in the basement of Macy's NYC that wasn't advertised so I don't think anyone went

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Josh Lyman posted:

There was also that secret concert in the basement of Macy's NYC that wasn't advertised so I don't think anyone went

a twitter friend of mine went to this and said there were only 30-40 people and she got her picture taken with Carly :argh:

this was the night after she sold out Irving Plaza (cap 1000) and I had to pay $70 for a Stubhub ticket while all of her other shows that tour were at venues where you could get tickets for literally $8 on Stubhub because (a) the venues were too big and (b) her tour was insanely underpromoted. she came back to Terminal 5 (3000 cap) and sold out there so like, she clearly has an audience just terrible management

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

abraham linksys posted:

this was the night after she sold out Irving Plaza (cap 1000) and I had to pay $70 for a Stubhub ticket while all of her other shows that tour were at venues where you could get tickets for literally $8 on Stubhub because (a) the venues were too big and (b) her tour was insanely underpromoted. she came back to Terminal 5 (3000 cap) and sold out there so like, she clearly has an audience just terrible management

This tour, she's still playing ~1000 capacity venues except for New York, where she plays a sold out non-airport Terminal 5 next Friday.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Well I bought the tickets, it's unfortunate it says it's hedley tickets. I guess I'll just have to live with that. Thankfully it's second row centre stage!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Super great

Hundred Waters - “Show Me Love” (Skrillex Remix) ft. Chance The Rapper, Moses Sumney, Robin Hannibal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5bAVKzrBzI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

bows1 posted:

Super great

Hundred Waters - “Show Me Love” (Skrillex Remix) ft. Chance The Rapper, Moses Sumney, Robin Hannibal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5bAVKzrBzI

Loving it.

The last time Skrillex worked with Chance was great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu3cezCkzf4