Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Unless something changed recently it shouldn't drift. I built my first ever base just below it when I first started playing and the pod never budged for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Some people claim it drifts, others claim it doesn't. However, it's confirmed you can push it with an other craft, or it can be pushed around by the ballsacks, so maybe that's what's happening to some?

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

N17R4M posted:

Some people claim it drifts, others claim it doesn't. However, it's confirmed you can push it with an other craft, or it can be pushed around by the ballsacks, so maybe that's what's happening to some?

It seemed to move when I was in it, specifically when I was using the fabricator, and I knew it could be pushed so I just assumed it was something with the game physics just being screwy. I did notice that after I made a base and used that, the pod stayed in the same location.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I made a base and floated the escape pod towards it and every time I go back to base it's off in a different location. Maybe it always drifts back towards it's original location?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It may be a bug, but I think it works to help the gameplay. Better get that habitation going before too long buddy! I think they might put in tethers later so it might become a moot point.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Can you build an aquarium for the fishies in this game? I'm a bit over the survival genre, but the creatures in this game look so drat good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brick Shipment posted:

Can you build an aquarium for the fishies in this game? I'm a bit over the survival genre, but the creatures in this game look so drat good.

Yeah, there's a couple aquariums, and there's also just big picture windows you can build to look upon the creatures in the wild.

I assume at least some of the aquariums are for farming (not that that necessarily precludes giant fish tank), but I've not gotten that far in the couple hours I've been playing with it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's a small aquarium you can use to store a few fish. There's also the large aquarium that can store a large amount of fish. The large aquarium breeds fish if there are two or more of the same type. You can only breed up to 10 fish in each tank. This stacks with the aquarium so each aquarium you stack adds another 10 fish that can be bred. You can have way more than 10 fish in a tank, but fish will not breed if there are more than 10. You can also grow plants in the large aquarium.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This looks like an awesome game. I bought it on sale yesterday, but I'm setting it aside until I get a Rift to play it on, since it looks like they had VR in mind throughout production. Can anyone who's had experience comment on how well this game handles VR?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What video card do you have? The VR implementation is very beta in addition to the game being very beta. Performance is not optimized and it runs like garbage sometimes, this is not conducive to good VR. The Cyclops and Seamoth are pretty good in VR. Swimming around isn't so great. WIthout VR, you just point your mouse where you want to swim. With VR, you can't swim up or down, you have to hit space or control. The last time I tested it was a few weeks ago, so it might have changed.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Sweet thanks, that's all I needed to hear in regard to aquariums.
And as this is singleplayer I assume no time passes when you close the game?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brick Shipment posted:

Not that I've noticed anyway

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Brick Shipment posted:

Time passes while you're looking at the PDA, not in the menus or out of game.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Bought this on sale like others. Love it it's beautiful. My pod did drift so its possible. In my case it seemed it drifted suddenly when I died and respawned in it. It jerked and when I got out I was on top of the algea forest thingy. Maybe 100m from starting location.

Those loving exploding fishes.

edit: Just realised that when I use the fabricator enough my ship starts to move under my feets. or A fish is bumping it. I would not mind much if there was a hanchor of some sort you could craft.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 17, 2016

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Iznogood posted:

Bought this on sale like others. Love it it's beautiful. My pod did drift so its possible. In my case it seemed it drifted suddenly when I died and respawned in it. It jerked and when I got out I was on top of the algea forest thingy. Maybe 100m from starting location.

Those loving exploding fishes.

edit: Just realised that when I use the fabricator enough my ship starts to move under my feets. or A fish is bumping it. I would not mind much if there was a hanchor of some sort you could craft.

You should work towards fabricating a habitat builder tool, so you can make anchored seabases that you can upgrade with neat stuff. The escape pod is just a temporary base for you.

I think the drifting pod is a bigger problem in this patch. I visited a faraway location for an in-game day or two, and when I tried to return to the pod it was 2 powercells of Seamoth travel away

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Apparently in the new experimental patch, which includes a new intro where you have to grab the fire extinguisher and put out a fire in the pod, if you repair the sparking panel the status screen changes to say the "Gravity Anchor" is back online. I don't know if that means anything yet, but it seems like it might in the long term.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'm wondering if it's from pushing it, accidentally or not, and it just never stops?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GenericOverusedName posted:

I'm wondering if it's from pushing it, accidentally or not, and it just never stops?

Yeah, I'm not sure. I started before the current patch on carebear mode while I figured out wth I was doing, and the thing was definitely drifting. I just restarted on survival now that I have the basics down, and my pod hasn't gone anywhere, spawned like 2m above another crashed pod so there's a nice easy landmark to see it ain't moving.

I think my pod says the gravity anchor is offline too.

Built me a seamoth last night. Gonna make a couple of spare powercells then I'm going to find a goddamn mushroom tree if it kills me. Hopefully this geyser thing I built my hab next to has some sort of geothermal option eventually, but if not it's still a cool thing to have outside the windows.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You should work towards fabricating a habitat builder tool, so you can make anchored seabases that you can upgrade with neat stuff. The escape pod is just a temporary base for you.

I think the drifting pod is a bigger problem in this patch. I visited a faraway location for an in-game day or two, and when I tried to return to the pod it was 2 powercells of Seamoth travel away

Yeah got my first base going. Things are looking up I have the first propulsion thingy forgot the name and it's much faster and fun to get around.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Iznogood posted:

Yeah got my first base going. Things are looking up I have the first propulsion thingy forgot the name and it's much faster and fun to get around.

That's the seabassmoth

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Azhais posted:

That's the seabassmoth

Think he means the SeaGlide, which takes 2 fragments and is under the Deployable section of the fabricator. It's a nifty little sea scooter with a light and a topographical map.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
Picking up this game to eventually play with Oculus, even though I have some Thalassophobia and will probably have a heart attack.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

teknologik posted:

Picking up this game to eventually play with Oculus, even though I have some Thalassophobia and will probably have a heart attack.

Can confirm there be leviathans in those depths, trust the lightless abyss not diver.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

dylguy90 posted:

Can confirm there be leviathans in those depths, trust the lightless abyss not diver.

:eek: please no

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Adorn your body with your greatest fears. (subnautica shirt design)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I haven't played in awhile, are the other leviathans in yet or just the reaper still?

I actually hope not, the deep dark places are already unnerving as gently caress sometimes.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 17, 2016

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Honky Dong Country posted:

I haven't played in awhile, are the other leviathans in yet or just the reaper still?

I actually hope not, the deep dark places are already unnerving as gently caress sometimes.

Not yet and that's a goddamn shame but it's fun to mess with fellow thalassophobes

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Next creatures going in seem to be the

Sea Treaders

Crabsquid

Warpers

Lava Lizards

Spine Eels

Man I like UW's concept work.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

teknologik posted:

I already get a knot in my stomach just from being deep underwater and not having a clear sight of the bottom, I can't imagine how bad that would get if I were doing VR.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I've been playing this game in early access for like a year now and it's great. Really pretty. And I've been impressed with the regular and substantial content additions. I love my deeeeeep base setup.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Man I like UW's concept work.

Yeah, their artists are fantastic.

I hope they consider dropping the depth of the shallows and increasing the size of the map somewhat if they're going to add sea treaders, the first few biomes already feel really crowded.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

I hope they consider dropping the depth of the shallows and increasing the size of the map somewhat if they're going to add sea treaders, the first few biomes already feel really crowded.

I think the Sea Treaders get their own mini Biome that's basically a worn path running through the zones on the west side of the map.

Also their gimmick seems to be you need to follow them around and collect their poop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5o2W4fc0Hs

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 18, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

dylguy90 posted:

Not yet and that's a goddamn shame but it's fun to mess with fellow thalassophobes

It's less that I'm the gently caress THE OCEAN type and more that I had a bad experience with a reaper and the idea of bigger poo poo makes me fear for my cyclops' safety. I knew that the reaper would attack the seamoth so I got the idea to get out of it and use outcrops and poo poo to avoid getting eaten.

Except as I swam away the reaper grabbed my empty seamoth, raised it from the seabed and slammed it back down, shattering it to pieces and leaving me in very dangerous waters with no ride. :(

Lemon-Lime posted:

I think I read something about the actual map at release is supposed to be several square km.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 18, 2016

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

It's less that I'm the gently caress THE OCEAN type and more that I had a bad experience with a reaper and the idea of bigger poo poo makes me fear for my cyclops' safety. I knew that the reaper would attack the seamoth so I got the idea to get out of it and use outcrops and poo poo to avoid getting eaten.

Except as I swam away the reaper grabbed my empty seamoth, raised it from the seabed and slammed it back down, shattering it to pieces and leaving me in very dangerous waters with no ride. :(

I had the exact same experience, I still remember it vividly. Something about the way the Reaper grabbed the Seamoth made me go NOPE and hop out. Fortunately there was a little hole below me that I swam into as the Leviathan swam off with my Seamoth. 10/10 would fear the deep again. Now THAT is the kind of thing they need more of in the game, not sea mushroom farming or whatever the hell they just put in.

Bonald Farndhardt
Apr 18, 2005
Ye it up
This game is one of the best I've ever played. Haven't been this excited for game updates in a while.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Built a base in the shallows to experiment. Was really excited and made a a two storied base using two multipurpose rooms stacked up on each other. Started placing glass windows on the second floor to make a nice observation room. Last window i placed led to the whole thing flooding. All that work..... :negative:

Is there a way to salvage a sea base that has been constructed? I frantically tried to remove the windows with the habitat builder, but that obviously didn't work.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ughhhh posted:

Built a base in the shallows to experiment. Was really excited and made a a two storied base using two multipurpose rooms stacked up on each other. Started placing glass windows on the second floor to make a nice observation room. Last window i placed led to the whole thing flooding. All that work..... :negative:

Is there a way to salvage a sea base that has been constructed? I frantically tried to remove the windows with the habitat builder, but that obviously didn't work.

You need to get the strength value in the positive again and then repair all the holes with a welder. Most new parts add structural weakness. Bulkheads and Reinforced paneling boost it. Either remove windows and other stuff until it's positive or build strengtheners.

Alternatively you could deconstruct everything and get the materials back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hover over items in the PDA and it will tell you if it lowers or raises hull integrity. You need to add hull reinforcement or platforms to raise the integrity when you add to your base. You can deconstruct things by holding E or whatever buttons comes up when you point your constructor tool at things you've built.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

dylguy90 posted:

I had the exact same experience, I still remember it vividly. Something about the way the Reaper grabbed the Seamoth made me go NOPE and hop out. Fortunately there was a little hole below me that I swam into as the Leviathan swam off with my Seamoth. 10/10 would fear the deep again. Now THAT is the kind of thing they need more of in the game, not sea mushroom farming or whatever the hell they just put in.

Hell I wasn't even in my moth. When he grabbed it. I thought since it was empty and had the lights off he'd focus on me. Instead he was like "lol you idiot fucker its not even moving" and snatched it up to slam onto the seabed like he was spiking a football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Built my first base, couldn't get it powered. Swam around for a couple of hours in the kelp forests and couldn't find a single solar panel plan to scan. Built a bioreactor, but when I went to get the required mold sample, the knife and laser cutter didn't break anything off of the mushroom tree.

I remember base powering being MUCH easier a few builds ago..