Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

fishmech posted:

Uh, why do you think for the past 20 years computers came with a whole bunch of random poo poo installed? It makes money for OEMs and Microsoft.

Lol I've been building my computers for so long and doing clean OS installs I forgot about all that poo poo that used to ship with manufactured computers.

But that at least wasn't screen real estate devoted to ads for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Listerine posted:

Lol I've been building my computers for so long and doing clean OS installs I forgot about all that poo poo that used to ship with manufactured computers.

But that at least wasn't screen real estate devoted to ads for poo poo.

Er, you'd have the antivirus built in flashing stuff about buying the subscription, there's be icons that were ads for programs all over, and so on. Particularly on things like the old eMachines or whatever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Right click on the suggestion/ad and choose never show suggestions.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

redeyes posted:

I think that the entire new Metro stuff had to be done because windows simply cannot scale for high DPI monitors. Essentially, we are at the point where backwards compatibility with older win programs cannot work on new screen hardware. Wanna see something hilarious? Run a Surface pro 3/4 at the native resolution with 100% scaling. Holy loving poo poo is all I can muster.
I run my surface book at 175%. 200% would be nice, but I need more than 1500x1000 px worth of screen real estate.
100% really is loving tiny. :(

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

wormil posted:

Right click on the suggestion/ad and choose never show suggestions.

I just did that over candy crush, and it turns out it was installed after all, I had an option to uninstall the app and its associated data.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah a couple months ago when I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a laptop and candy crush was definitely installed.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dear god in heaven i have had enough of the bloody Win 10 install spam on my machine..... just installed GWX Control Panel and can't be happier. :)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

There's some baffling bugs and inconsistencies left over that have been somewhere between irritating and downright painful to deal with, but I'm actually mostly okay with 10. Having Pro helps, since I don't get the "we're restarting now, gently caress you" and instead get to tell it to restart at a more convenient time in the future. I imagine if I had Home, I'd be livid after the first time it just decided to restart.

It doesn't do this, on home it will suggest a time to restart but you can defer the restart for a number of days.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Khablam posted:

It doesn't do this, on home it will suggest a time to restart but you can defer the restart for a number of days.

I have Home on my laptop, and it automatically restarts after an update. Maybe it gives you a choice, but since the default is 3 AM, I'm not up to check if it does.

However, you can go set it to defer the restart. Which I did.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My wife called me at work the other day and said "uhh, this morning when I went to use the media PC and desktop they were powered off. They took a really long time to start up, and now it looks like we have Windows 10. Is that OK?"

Funny part is that the media PC started life as a cheap Dell on the tail end of the Vista era, which promised a free upgrade to Windows 7 when available. So I started with a Vista key and now have Windows 10 on the same license :v:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

redeyes posted:

So.. people are not happy with Windows 10 at all. The constant updates breaking poo poo is ruining confidence in the Windows ecosystem. It's a sad state of affairs. MS should have developed the loving OS for another year. Hell Windows 8.1 has less issues than 10 at this point.
I do not think MS will survive this over the next 10 years.

I remember hearing this prediction about 95, 98, XP, Vista, and 8. It gets funnier every time I see it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Huh. I popped the start menu open, and a tile immediately vanished. Granted it was just the Twitter app, and I use something else for that, but I'm still less than impressed.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I remember hearing this prediction about 95, 98, XP, Vista, and 8. It gets funnier every time I see it.

Yeah, if Vista and 8 didn't kill off Microsoft with bad press, 10 (which is, again, a decent OS with some irritating bugs and less than ethical distribution methods) won't hurt them in the slightest.

Hell, I'm pretty sure Gabe Aul could personally visit users' houses and businesses and set their PCs on fire and it wouldn't significantly hurt the brand or company.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

File "this version of Windows will kill Microsoft" alongside "19XX/20XX will finally be the year of Linux on the Desktop"

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Magnus Praeda posted:

less than ethical distribution methods

This is an interesting question. Which is more ethical:
1- leaving users on old versions to rot, with the pre-installed AV expired (practically malware itself), inevitably leading to larger botnets
2- auto-upgrading people who don't actively decline, getting them on a better platform, disabling their (practically malware) expired AV and enabling baseline protection, all at no $ cost to the user.

You can certainly be displeased about the auto-upgrade approach to Windows 10, but it's kind of a stretch to call it unethical.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

This is an interesting question. Which is more ethical:
1- leaving users on old versions to rot, with the pre-installed AV expired (practically malware itself), inevitably leading to larger botnets
2- auto-upgrading people who don't actively decline daily, getting them on a better platform, disabling their (practically malware) expired AV and enabling baseline protection, all at no $ cost to the user.

You can certainly be displeased about the auto-upgrade approach to Windows 10, but it's kind of a stretch to call it unethical.
uhhhhh. What?
Bold your words, italic my add.

I agree people should be upgraded, but there should also be a single switch built into windows that a user can flip to say "gently caress YOU MICROSOFT LEAVE ME ON 7" that it actually respects and then stops bugging the user to upgrade for more than a day.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 17, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a verdict on Windows 10 re: gaming? I'm on 7 ultimate now.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Massasoit posted:

It works fine, and is the only way into the future given DX12 unless Vulkan or some other cross-platform API gains widespread acceptance.

Do you have something specific in mind? I have upgraded several different systems from 7/8 to 10 and haven't seen any issues with games that worked fine previously.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 17, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If it's on steam will it generally run fine?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Massasoit posted:

The vast majority of things run better, and will only get better, so unless there's a specific game you desperately want to play that doesn't work you don't lose anything from upgrading

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Okay good to know. I'll have to play around some more on my laptop with windows 10. Haven't used it much since upgrading.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Massasoit posted:

If it's on steam will it generally run fine?

Yes. Compatibility is virtually the same.

I dislike Windows 10 (new aesthetics, update policy, etc) but its fine for gaming and that's all I use it for. It was free, whatever. I do my browsing, code and etc on a Linux box. Windows trumps all for games and you can't escape it yet.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm happy with Windows 10.

+2

Set my daughter up way back when 10 was still fully in beta, long before RTM. She's not a techdaughter. She's got her programs that she runs, surfs, and draws with. The move from 7 to 10 was seamless and she has fewer problems now than before with viruses and other things. I don't run anything on her system more complex than MSE. She's had very few problems, and the ones she did have, it was obvious how to get past or ignore them.

As TechDad, I've been very un-busy keeping her systems going with Win 10 or having to retrain her on how to use the system.

So, if you're having trouble with Win 10, [insert personal insult that really cuts to the core of your being...something deeply personal and amazingly hurtful]. You're probably [insinuate poster is lying on purpose for some nefarious reason, and is possibly paid to do so]. Why don't you just [action resulting in death or permanent disfigurement/disablement], [sex act or gender preference-related insult]!!!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ilkhan posted:

uhhhhh. What?

I agree people should be upgraded, but there should also be a single switch built into windows that a user can flip to say "gently caress YOU MICROSOFT LEAVE ME ON 7" that it actually respects and then stops bugging the user to upgrade for more than a day.

We saw how long people clung to Windows XP. Windows not-10 is about as close to a public health hazard as something that's purely electronic and not outgassing caustics or something can get.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 17, 2016

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The one feature of Windows 10 I really appreciate is that the stock Address Book/Calendar apps can sync from iCloud. Few Windows clients can do this, even though it's just a lightly disguised WebDAV. They're not great apps or anything, but that's enough to make them usable for checking stuff easily when I'm on the Gaming Rig.

I imagine most people just keep everything on Google but I'm the weirdo who'd rather pay for private email so

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

The Milkman posted:

The one feature of Windows 10 I really appreciate is that the stock Address Book/Calendar apps can sync from iCloud. Few Windows clients can do this, even though it's just a lightly disguised WebDAV. They're not great apps or anything, but that's enough to make them usable for checking stuff easily when I'm on the Gaming Rig.

I imagine most people just keep everything on Google but I'm the weirdo who'd rather pay for private email so

This! I do most my contact management via PC now for my two address books.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

ilkhan posted:

uhhhhh. What?

That switch exists. You only need to decline once, permanently. All you've been doing is saying "Remind me later please"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I originally did the reservation for my main home desktop, before the release. Then I figured I should probably do a long overdue hardware upgrade first, and un-reserved. I'm still on Win 7, have the GWX icon in the notify area, but haven't been bugged about it actively even once, and it's not being offered through Windows Update either.

Apparently that counts as a "nope don't upgrade me"?

I'm going to be getting another, bigger SSD soon, and install 10 on that for a fresh beginning instead.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

That switch exists. You only need to decline once, permanently. All you've been doing is saying "Remind me later please"
There are several people here who would love to know where that switch is.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Massasoit posted:

Skyrim runs better on Win 7 than 10 because of some dumb poo poo Microsoft did to old DirectX versions but that's the only thing I've heard about.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ilkhan posted:

There are several people here who would love to know where that switch is.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

quote:

Windows registry
Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

To block the upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update, specify the following registry value:

Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Whizbang posted:

Skyrim runs better on Win 7 than 10 because of some dumb poo poo Microsoft did to old DirectX versions but that's the only thing I've heard about.

Skyrim is a pile of farm twine and duct tape disguised as code shoved out by notoriously rigorous* game** developer*** Bethesda Softworks. You probably shouldn't be using it to judge how well Windows does a thing.

That's like me saying Saints Row 2 is a good basis to slag Windows 7 for its CPU timing bug. It's true (and it only affects SR2 in 7 - Vista/8/10 are all good) but there's enough other problems with the game that I'd have to be stupid to build an argument off of it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 17, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Does not work on Home though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Also doesn't block the nagging, just the actual install.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
If I remember right, I flipped 2 reg keys and disable a scheduled task or two. I've not seen nag screens since September for Windows 7.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Skyrim is a pile of farm twine and duct tape disguised as code shoved out by notoriously rigorous* game** developer*** Bethesda Softworks. You probably shouldn't be using it to judge how well Windows does a thing.

That's like me saying Saints Row 2 is a good basis to slag Windows 7 for its CPU timing bug. It's true (and it only affects SR2 in 7 - Vista/8/10 are all good) but there's enough other problems with the game that I'd have to be stupid to build an argument off of it.

I'm just answering his question, chill the gently caress out.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I have a PowerShell scheduled job to look for and kill the gwx process every half hour or so.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

thebigcow posted:

I have a PowerShell scheduled job to look for and kill the gwx process every half hour or so.

I need to discuss this solution with you when I'm back from vacation. Sounds great.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

We saw how long people clung to Windows XP. Windows not-10 is about as close to a public health hazard as something that's purely electronic and not outgassing caustics or something can get.

A friend of mine is still on XP, and my housemate (a loving technical writer, of all things) probably would be if I didn't tell her flat-out that it wasn't available for her new machine.

Said friend refuses to upgrade unless C&C Generals will run under 10 (which it apparently will, thank God), and believes that responsibility for securing an OS is passed on to antivirus providers when the manufacturer stops supporting it. I don't enjoy doing tech support for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

Huh. I popped the start menu open, and a tile immediately vanished. Granted it was just the Twitter app, and I use something else for that, but I'm still less than impressed.

I've noticed this occasionally happens when apps have a "big" update (Twitter added a mobile branch and stuff like a dark theme). Re-adds fine etc, though I swear Ive had one app fail to download an update and simply remove itself from my system once