Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Chicago were great before Terry Kath won a Darwin Award.

Also I'd jump at the chance to play for a King Crimson-loving coach. drat ballplayers and their dislike of classic prog! :reject:

I've always felt that Starship Trooper would be awesome as warm-up music for basketball. Or Cirkus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

Sorry buddy, we're a Cumberlands crowd round these parts.

For a day, we are enemies

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

You can't feel the tide turning? Where the perception is Byron Scott "held him back"? He's so fired.

Sorry, don't buy it.

No it definitely is I'm just saying its fickle. People were grumbling about not taking Porzingas and even Okafor a month or so ago

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Eltoasto posted:

As I watch OSU struggle against loving Akron, after a disappointing but kind of expected season, I wasn't surprised to read this quote from D'Angelo:

It's a weird situation because Matta built this program up another level and actually gave it some expectation. At the same time, he seems to be in total cruise control. 4* recruits come in, but they don't really improve and the team always seems to get less out of it's talent than it should. The last batch of seniors showed up for the NBA draft combine and had embarrassing levels of body fat apparently. Hopefully this new S&C coach can change the culture, because I like Matta and he should be able to go out on his own terms.

That game was really sad, the things you would expect a basketball team to do just never happened at any given point.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Metapod posted:

In news no one cares about but me, Langston got a 3 seed in the NAIA tourney :getin:

The real action is in the NAIA DIVISION II tournament but Davenport just got knocked out by Indiana-Wesleyan in the semi-final :smith:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Two more players are transferring from Mizzou. Glad Kim Anderson got a vote of confidence for another year!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh Lord. Which ones?

The thing about Kim Anderson is he has to recruit well and to recruit well he has to hire guys who can recruit but he hasn't recruited the guys who can recruit so how can anybody believe that he'll ever fix this?

Meanwhile guys like Brad Underwood are going to be out there but Missouri is just going to go with Kim. I feel for you, Missouri fans and those aren't crocodile tears. The administration has made bad decisions at every step along the way basically since Norm Stewart retired*. There is a lack of power teams at the top of the SEC other than UK that MU should be competing with every year. If Texas A&M can manage to win the SEC, Missouri should be right there. Kim Anderson is never going to get you there, so what is anybody waiting for? I'm a hated rival and even I feel kind of sick about it, because there's no solution in sight. That's frustrating and reminds me of the Royals during the dark years.

*I include the Quin Snyder hire because after Norm retired April 1 by April 5 MU had interviewed John Calipari, Quin Snyder, Bill Self, and Kim Anderson.

Out of those four look who they hired and look who they passed on.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

Sorry buddy, we're a Cumberlands crowd round these parts.

Goddammit :negative:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

Oh Lord. Which ones?

The thing about Kim Anderson is he has to recruit well and to recruit well he has to hire guys who can recruit but he hasn't recruited the guys who can recruit so how can anybody believe that he'll ever fix this?

Meanwhile guys like Brad Underwood are going to be out there but Missouri is just going to go with Kim. I feel for you, Missouri fans and those aren't crocodile tears. The administration has made bad decisions at every step along the way basically since Norm Stewart retired*. There is a lack of power teams at the top of the SEC other than UK that MU should be competing with every year. If Texas A&M can manage to win the SEC, Missouri should be right there. Kim Anderson is never going to get you there, so what is anybody waiting for? I'm a hated rival and even I feel kind of sick about it, because there's no solution in sight. That's frustrating and reminds me of the Royals during the dark years.

*I include the Quin Snyder hire because after Norm retired April 1 by April 5 MU had interviewed John Calipari, Quin Snyder, Bill Self, and Kim Anderson.

Mike Anderson wasn't the worst hire under them, but it hasn't been smooth sailing since, no.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

Mike Anderson wasn't the worst hire under them, but it hasn't been smooth sailing since, no.

You also have to remember that Matt Painter was, if memory serves, on a flight to Columbia to take over at Mizzou after Anderson left until Purdue called and offered him a big raise.

I, for one, blame Mike Alden for all this mess, but that's just my opinion of Mike Alden.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The jinx is in.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Yeah SI, #7 seed and noted choke artist the Iowa Hawkeyes are going to win the national championship.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

Yeah SI, #7 seed and noted choke artist the Iowa Hawkeyes are going to win the national championship.

To be fair, it says that they disagree with the notion that it's "anybody's title", which is true! It will definitely not be Iowa's title. Their presence in the tournament is a strong counter to the argument that anyone could win it all.

But seriously SI stop putting our players on the cover. The last three times that happened:

2009 Football- Ricky Stanzi immediately breaks his ankle and Iowa loses two games in a row after starting the season 9-0.

2016 Football- lost Big Ten Title Game in a heartbreaker, lost a Rose Bowl in which Stanford may still be scoring touchdowns as I type this.

2016 Basketball: Almost immediate death spiral going from a likely 1-2 seed to a 7.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 16, 2016

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

kiimo posted:

The jinx is in.

Yes they're losing to A&M

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Gonna go to okc and not watch texas win, cause i can watch em win any of the other three games they win til baylor bitch

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

kiimo posted:

Oh Lord. Which ones?

It's not like it matters since most of Mizzou's players aren't good, but Namon Wright and Tramaine Isabell, both sophomores who, as far as I know, were recruited by Kim Anderson!

I think if Mizzou football returns to being pretty good (which I think will happen this coming season), the pressure is really going to be on Mack Rhoads to make an impact hire after Anderson is fired next March, particularly because he had a chance to rip the bandaid off 10 days ago. I get that there are APR and NCAA violation concerns thanks to Frank Haith, but I don't think delaying the rebuilding process one year is a good tradeoff.

EDIT: For reference, here is what Mizzou's roster is looking like for next year

One senior and two juniors :suicide:

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 16, 2016

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!
The enemies of Rutgers athletics strike again. Danny Hurley declines the Rutgers job.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/dan-hurley-takes-his-name-out-of-rutgers-basketball-search-1.1528446

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The NCAA really showed Haith who was boss by allowing his undeserving Tulsa rear end in the tournament.

Frank Haith posted:

"What a blessing. God is so good. These guys deserve to play in the tournament. I’m so happy for them.”

Uh, how's that, Frank? You just got humiliated by loving Memphis twice.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Haith's losing almost every minute from this team next year, I'm sure he's already busy committing the violations that will leave TU a salted wasteland after his jump to an even smaller and somehow more gullible program.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:argh:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

N: Kansas forward Jamari Traylor (31) and the Jayhawks react after Traylor broke a fixture on the shot clock while attempting a half-court shot during practice on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa. The Jayhawks will take on the Governors Thursday.

V: This is Steph Curry's America.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

No it definitely is I'm just saying its fickle. People were grumbling about not taking Porzingas and even Okafor a month or so ago

The sad part is the people who are pro-Okafor have really dug in and are gonna die on that hill.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

french toast posted:

The enemies of Rutgers athletics strike again. Danny Hurley declines the Rutgers job.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/dan-hurley-takes-his-name-out-of-rutgers-basketball-search-1.1528446

It's very dope that the Big Ten invited an athletic department so pathetic they get turned down by the head coach of Rhode Island.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The only thing worse than inviting TCU to your conference is inexplicably losing to them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
TCU is at least good at football. Rutgers is bad at literally everything except like women's soccer or some other poo poo no one on earth has ever watched

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
They had a pretty good year at most of those no one gives a poo poo sports actually, not that anyone gives a poo poo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Congrats, that's essentially what Iowa State does, except we're actually decent at basketball.

N: Cal's SG Tyrone Wallace apparently has a fracture in his right hand, and might miss the tournament. Change your picks now.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

Congrats, that's essentially what Iowa State does, except we're actually decent at basketball.

N: Cal's SG Tyrone Wallace apparently has a fracture in his right hand, and might miss the tournament. Change your picks now.

Already had them losing the round of 32 so picks don't need to be changed :chord:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
All aboard the prince train

https://twitter.com/deadspin/status/710592439883603968

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Another player from Illinois was arrested for domestic battery, this time it was Kendrick Nunn. What is in the water in Champaign.

We put the fighting in Fighting Illini.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Purdue as usual losing after being completely unable to score/keep the ball from the second half onward.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
God just announce the coaching hire already I'm ready to be disappointed :smith:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Apparently some poo poo went down at Western Kentucky. Three players suspended and their coach resigned. Guess someone had their way with Big Red or something.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

americanzero4128 posted:

Another player from Illinois was arrested for domestic battery, this time it was Kendrick Nunn. What is in the water in Champaign.

We put the fighting in Fighting Illini.

How the gently caress did Groce get a vote of confidence

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

ooh, somebody's salty

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Apparently some poo poo went down at Western Kentucky. Three players suspended and their coach resigned. Guess someone had their way with Big Red or something.

Whoa, what the gently caress. That coach used to be at a Christian school, which I realize doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it still seems surprising to me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

A theory called the Beckman Window where you hire a coach so incredibly inept and insane that all other lovely coach behavior is normalized.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

R.D. Mangles posted:

A theory called the Beckman Window where you hire a coach so incredibly inept and insane that all other lovely coach behavior is normalized.
*packs lip with chew on sideline*

Allegedly Bryce Drew actively wants the job as well. I don't even think he'd be too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

because they wanted to hire a new football coach.

• Locked thread