Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

George Zimmer posted:

Shame on me for forgetting Nazareth.

Williams Grove and Selinsgrove are two others that were originally modified stock car. PA went sprinter in the late 60's and early 70's, prior to that it was modified stuff weekly.

e- the biggest modified race of the year, the Race of Champions, historically was at Langhorne, then Reading, then Pocono. PA was ground zero for modifieds from the early 1950's until the late 1970's

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

My personal happy place for IndyCar watching is the T1 stands at Long Beach. But I've never been to Indy on raceday...

There is one place better at Long Beach than the T1 grandstand...

Uncle Jam posted:

I like to watch ovals too and you can see more live (grandstand 2 at belle isle has so many jersey barriers around kinks that you can see 100ft of actual pavement) but when like 15k people show up they're going to go under.

My dad and I have sat Front Row Club in Grandstand 2 at Belle Isle the last two years, and you can see some decent action.

This year I'm going with my girlfriend, and I just got her GA tickets so we can check out other areas of the track.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the indy road course is super boring but i sat in the old turn 1 in 2006 (turn 4 on the oval) and you could see a ton of the race. actual good tracks aren't so flat and open though.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I'm excited to go to Road America this year, but it's horrible for actually trying to follow the action. Hopefully they'll have screens up at some of the corners like they have in the past for ALMS.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

I'm excited to go to Road America this year, but it's horrible for actually trying to follow the action. Hopefully they'll have screens up at some of the corners like they have in the past for ALMS.

They typically have big screens for every grandstand so you should be fine. The best way though is to walk around the track and see everything.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if you go to a race and remember more than 20% of it, you hosed up

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Yes that IS Josef Newgarden near Marty Robbins car.

Yes it does own

Also Budweiser is gonna be an associate sponsor for Graham at Indy.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

VikingSkull posted:

Never a truer thing written in this thread.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

KingShibby posted:

They typically have big screens for every grandstand so you should be fine. The best way though is to walk around the track and see everything.

They haven't always for the sportscar weekends. Hopefully IndyCar will have their poo poo together though and hahahahaha

I normally do wander a ton when I'm there, but for the main race I try to switch between T5, T8, and Canada.

VikingSkull posted:

Two years ago for ALMS we emptied our cooler by Friday night. It wasn't great.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Lord Crapulus posted:

Two years ago for ALMS we emptied our cooler by Friday night. It wasn't great.

Last time we were at Pocono we had hot dogs and rolls, an endless supply of Budweiser and a handle of Jack Daniels

my old boss and I cracked the handle at ~6pm on Friday night, by 3am it was gone and I was puking all over my other managers lawn chair

we never ran out of beer but let me tell you, waking up on Sunday to the second straight day of beer for breakfast was a little much

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also Miller Genuine Draft is gonna be an associate sponsor for Rahal at Indy.

This is what I read, and this is what I will choose to believe.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, I think of Bobby with Miller. Although when I was just a wee lad, Bobby won Indy in the "Bud on the Bricks" ride:

looget those wheels

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KingShibby posted:

There is one place better at Long Beach than the T1 grandstand...

My dad and I have sat Front Row Club in Grandstand 2 at Belle Isle the last two years, and you can see some decent action.

This year I'm going with my girlfriend, and I just got her GA tickets so we can check out other areas of the track.

I sat in every stand, grandstand 2 is the worst. (So few people were at the sunday race last year they weren't checking tickets to get into any stand)

Its weird because unlike other street courses its a park so you could put the stands anywhere. I don't know why they decided there except maybe because its close to the entrance?

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 18, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Yeah, I think of Bobby with Miller. Although when I was just a wee lad, Bobby won Indy in the "Bud on the Bricks" ride:

looget those wheels

They rule. Who made them?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/710676275682222080

Time for a sellout at Phoenix! :getin:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Human Grand Prix posted:

They rule. Who made them?

Didn't Weld make that style? 80's Indy wheels are so cool and there's no info on them.

I want to say Weld and BBS were the two big manufacturers, but I'm not sure. I think OZ showed up in the 90's

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Didn't Weld make that style? 80's Indy wheels are so cool and there's no info on them.

I want to say Weld and BBS were the two big manufacturers, but I'm not sure. I think OZ showed up in the 90's

I also liked the wheel covers that appeared very briefly (I think they were banned, somebody comfirm).

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Uncle Jam posted:

I sat in every stand, grandstand 2 is the worst. (So few people were at the sunday race last year they weren't checking tickets to get into any stand)

Its weird because unlike other street courses its a park so you could put the stands anywhere. I don't know why they decided there except maybe because its close to the entrance?

Yeah Grandstand 2 is only good for viewing T1 action, pretty sure that's why it's there. Probably the best places are GS3 since it's right at Turn 3 where all the passing happens, and the chalets in the T8-9-10 complex. Hopefully I'll be able to get a photo vest for Belle Isle this year so I can really see the whole track...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I also liked the wheel covers that appeared very briefly (I think they were banned, somebody comfirm).

wheel covers with circles cut out is so early 90s it hurts and is extremely my poo poo on IndyCars.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I believe those were called speedway wheels.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

wheel covers with circles cut out is so early 90s it hurts and is extremely my poo poo on IndyCars.

It's a good thing Porsche pulled the plug on a decent, if not world-beating, Indycar effort in order to build one of the worst factory F1 engines ever.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tags is back with Foyt for Indy. Good news.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

gently caress yes.

Also, this just popped up in my Youtube subscription list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGKAuITCbMA

"A Special Team Penske Announcement From The Indianapolis Motor Speedway"

I am intrigued.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Must be a 5th car for Indy. Maybe someone from NASCAR? Kurt Busch?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think it's just a different sponsor for Pagenaud.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cygni posted:

looget those wheels

Was the "T" car thing part of the special 1-race-only USAC rules for Indy or something? When did that go away (or is it still around)?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

bennyfactor posted:

Was the "T" car thing part of the special 1-race-only USAC rules for Indy or something? When did that go away (or is it still around)?

Not sure when it started, honestly. I know it was weird in CART cause backups had X after them in CART (2X, 3X, etc), but at Indy they were T cars. Remember seeing someone in the 90s turn their X 45 degrees to make it look like a lovely lowercase T. :v:

It's normally only an issue at Indy because of the 'each car only gets a certain number of attempts' rule, so it was important to track the strikes on each car. This probably wasn't very helpful. Welp cya.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Talk about a rule that only made sense when entry counts were big :smith:

But yes, the whole "separately entered and numbered backup" is an old Indy thing. I think they still use it for the purpose of drawing qualifying order but I'm pretty sure they don't care anymore whether it's the "regular" or "T-car" that actually makes the attempt these days.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Teams qualifying multiple cars as a hedge for starting position still happens, doesn't it?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Each driver can only have one qualified entry, so you have to pull the primary to make an attempt with the backup.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It came into play in 1995, which was the peak of old-style Indy 500 qualifying I M H O.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

I think it's just a different sponsor for Pagenaud.

Cygni wins

Press conference is that Menards is sponsoring Pagenaud's car at the Indy GP, Indy 500, and Road America

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

KingShibby posted:

Cygni wins

Press conference is that Menards is sponsoring Pagenaud's car at the Indy GP, Indy 500, and Road America

I'm now looking forward to seeing Pagenaud take pole for the 500 only to blow his engine during the race.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Here's the car

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Eyes seared like fine tuna steaks

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
highlighter yellow should be banned from being on a car whose driver's career has none

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gret posted:

I'm now looking forward to seeing Pagenaud take pole for the 500 only to blow his engine during the race.

I mean at least it's a turbo V6 under there...

VikingSkull posted:

highlighter yellow should be banned from being on a car whose driver's career has none

:iceburn:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

KingShibby posted:

Here's the car

IT'S AN INDYCAR LOAD OF SAVINGS AT MENARDS.

LIKE THIS PIECE OF AERO KIT THAT CAME OFF A CAR. YOURS FOR ONLY 14.99

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Seriously this is amazing news.

I know John Menard is not exactly the most moral guy in the world when it comes to his business, but it's nice to see that name back on the side of an IndyCar again.

He seems to love throwing money at ARCA, Trucks and Cup...I'm hoping we'll see a revival of him throwing money back at IndyCar once more like the old days.

I'm a little stunned by the Penske combo because I always had the vibe if he were to come back? It'd would have been with Ed Carpenter's team. (Considering he and TG are buds). But this is great news none-the-less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe he wants to actually win this time around. :smuggo:

• Locked thread