Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

twistedmentat posted:

I'm watching a series on Witcher Lore on youtube and it's been showing a lot of stuff from Witcher 2, and it looks pretty interesting in setting up stuff from 3.

I also didn't know Nilf was totally chill with non-humans.

They're not *quite* chill. They willingly sell out the Scoiat'ael units in order to keep the peace with the northern kingdoms after BRenna fell on its rear end. And they only agreed to Franchesca Findabair's demands because it gave them a strategic advantage as well as wrecking the sorcerer's organizations in the process.

Nilfgaard may be equal opportunity wrt nonhumans, but they are opportunists first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
More chill than Redania with its "No Sorceress around to burn? Well, lets roast up some Elves".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

twistedmentat posted:

More chill than Redania with its "No Sorceress around to burn? Well, lets roast up some Elves".

That's more Novigrad, which is independent of Redania, officially. It just happens to be endorsed by that psychopath Radovid.

About the only "good" ruler of the North, and I use that term relatively, was Foltest, and he was an incestuous prick who let his capital city fall into civil war. Demavend couldn't cover his rear end, Meve's kingdom was too small and near the frontlines to stand a chance, Henselt is a loving monster, and Radovid's father Vizimir was murdered.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

cmykjester posted:

The Witcher 2 is pretty short but you may actually want to play through it twice due to how the story plays out. Honesty looking back Witcher 2 feels like the odd man out in the series as its like a more like an action game than a sprawling RPG like the first game and Wild Hunt.

I didn't beat it for like 70 hours, am I bad or did you just not arm wrestle or side quest enough? I think is probably is the most 'accessible' to newcomers of the three games to fully beat, making it maybe the best option to recommend to friends. It also goes on sale for $2.50, so they're likely to actually take your advice on a game purchase.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'll probably give it a try once I'm finishing with MGSV. Though I'll be dropping that as soon as Blood and Wine comes out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Witcher 2 is good and at least has a better skill system than 3.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

gently caress I hated harpy farming though. Material farming in general really.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Why is the DLC expansion pass $25 while the hearts of stone alone is $10? The expansion pass says it's for just the 2 expansions, that's not a very good deal!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

HoS is smaller of two, so Blood and Wine will probably end in 20-25$ range.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

BaW in supposed to be bigger than Witcher 2 so yeah.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
For those that know the geography of the world, is it conceivable that Toussaint will be part of the existing Novigrad map or is it so far away it would require its own instance?

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

jneer posted:

For those that know the geography of the world, is it conceivable that Toussaint will be part of the existing Novigrad map or is it so far away it would require its own instance?

Touissant is located far to the south, at the edge of the Northern Kingdoms. Beneath Temeria, somewhat.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

majestic12 posted:

- If I ever replay Act 1 of witcher1 again, gramps loving dies

This option was only added in EE as a sort of "fix" because players hated her so much. That's why it is so abrupt and out of place but I don't care. I actually played the original version and you can imagine how frustrating it was to deal with her.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

jneer posted:

New map region for Toussaint has been confirmed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got from the materials posted that it seems like it will be the same as the Velen/Novigrad map.

If its in the South, does that mean its inside Nilfgard proper?

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

twistedmentat posted:

I got from the materials posted that it seems like it will be the same as the Velen/Novigrad map.

If its in the South, does that mean its inside Nilfgard proper?

In the books, Toussaint is a kind of province just inside the border (or on the edge) of Nilfgaard. But the Empire doesn't really meddle in its affairs (because they consider them harmless, I believe). I haven't played enough of the third game to understand if there are any references to its political situation after the invasion.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
tfw you think about getting the Nilfgaardian and Northern Realms gwent decks from eBay and they're like $200. Wonder if anyone actually buys them.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

cmykjester posted:

Honestly one of the best parts about the Witcher is that the series isn't afraid to have fun.

Absolutely. Got back to playing last week after taking a break from my 90hr first game (up to 110 and still in "Act 1!") and there has been of course so much tragedy and Geralt being really pissed off. Dandilion of course not helping "jeez you're getting grumpy in your old age!"
10 minutes later, beat the poo poo out of someone's fiancé, Dandilion apologizing for his friend's short temper...and after she's totally fine with it Geralt tells Dandilion "Huh. I thought she would be pissed about that. :v: "

Laughed my rear end off.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Had a thought about Roche and his actions in TW3 if you got a certain ending for him in TW2: If you save Anais in Act III and give her to Radovid, doesn't Roche sign on with Redania? He's wearing the red colors and everything. If that happens, does Roche still participate in the Reason of State questline? If so, does the game ever address why he made a 180?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Cirosan posted:

Had a thought about Roche and his actions in TW3 if you got a certain ending for him in TW2: If you save Anais in Act III and give her to Radovid, doesn't Roche sign on with Redania? He's wearing the red colors and everything. If that happens, does Roche still participate in the Reason of State questline? If so, does the game ever address why he made a 180?

In my game, he realized that he was totally crazy after some monologue about how people are pawns or something.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just got the quests from Uma to find Ciri and rally people to ambush the Wild Hunt. Am I almost at the end? I'd like to finish up some other quests before I get locked out of anything.
!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I just got the quests from Uma to find Ciri and rally people to ambush the Wild Hunt. Am I almost at the end? I'd like to finish up some other quests before I get locked out of anything.
!
Nah, you're in the middle of the main quest.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

!
After you gather people and set out to find Ciri, you’re going to be pretty locked into the main quest for the next little while, gain quite a few levels, so clear up any sidequests that you want to do which seem a bit low-level and make sure you’re well stocked up and… well… ready to be yanked out of the free roaming for a few hours. There are a few quests which won't be available afterwards, mostly those which involve important characters, so finish those up beforehand (can always reload a save after crossing the point of no return and seeing what fails).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-witcher-3-and-cyberpunk-2077-with-marcin-iwins/2300-6430122/

Good interview with one of our overlords.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Hey I was wondering how far through in the the game I am after skellige and Novigrad main quest are done?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sneaky Fast posted:

Hey I was wondering how far through in the the game I am after skellige and Novigrad main quest are done?

End of act one.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

drat! I can honestly say I've never played a better game. Glad I still got a ways to go

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sneaky Fast posted:

drat! I can honestly say I've never played a better game. Glad I still got a ways to go

When you say you've finished Skellige, do you mean you've received the quest to find Uma? Because that's act 1's end.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Jesus, really? I thought I was most of the way through the game and I don't even know who Uma is. I've been avoiding looking for Ciri on the Skellige quests thinking I was far into the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's sliiiightly misleading because Act 1 is the longest of the three.

Still, there's a good amount of game left.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Act 1 is like 2/3 of the game.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Depends how you spread out your contracts and minor sidequests. I get the impression that they intended you to leave more till later (I didn't).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering how fast you can over level in the game it's quite possible o do act 2 and 3 high level quests before advancing the story

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Act 1 is about 2/3 of the main quest and contains 90% of the side quests.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The game doesn't even divide itself into three acts, does it? I don't remember the game doing it. To not be misleading, I would divide the game into chapter 1 and/or prologue (white orchard); chapter 2 (bloody baron and velen); chapter 3 (novigrad); chapter 4 (skellige); chapter 5 (up through Kaer morhen plot stuff); and chapter 6 (everything after to the end). With the 2 dlcs being side chapters essentially as well.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it true that you get less experience on Death March? I found that I was generally in the right range of levels for doing quests even though I did a bunch of side quests.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

cmykjester posted:

Is it true that you get less experience on Death March? I found that I was generally in the right range of levels for doing quests even though I did a bunch of side quests.

I played through the game a 2nd time on Death March, and I found I was actually getting more experience than I did on Normal.

I think it all has to do with correctly figuring out the game's experience reward system when it comes to quests. Basically, the game is programmed so that if you do any quest and you're like 4+ levels above it, you'll get something ridiculous like 2xp. Also every sidequest (with a few exceptions like the Skellige kingmaker stuff) gives at max like 40xp. So to get the maximum experience from the game, it's better to do all main quests and Witcher contracts right when you're around the level to do them. Don't do any monster nests, Gwent quests, fistfights, horse races, or abandoned settlements until the endgame, because those will give you set amounts of xp regardless of your level.

The first time through the game, I was focused on doing everything I could right when it became available, so I was like level 30 when I did the Battle of Kaer Morhen, and the whole battle stuff gained me like 1 level. On Death March, I was around level 26 when I did it, and the whole battle stuff gained me like 5 levels, and I was still left with all that side stuff I could do afterwards.

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 18, 2016

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ThomasPaine posted:

I honestly think the 'bad' ending is the best and most thematically appropriate one

This was the one I got and I didn't even realize it was the bad ending until I read what the other two were. Seemed like a satisfying end to me.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I apologize if this has been addressed but I had a quick mechanics question:

Do bleeds from weapon procs overwrite or not stack with bleed procs from crippling strikes? Same question for the poisoned blades talent.

EDIT: Google results have mixed answers.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

So It Goes posted:

The game doesn't even divide itself into three acts, does it? I don't remember the game doing it. To not be misleading, I would divide the game into chapter 1 and/or prologue (white orchard); chapter 2 (bloody baron and velen); chapter 3 (novigrad); chapter 4 (skellige); chapter 5 (up through Kaer morhen plot stuff); and chapter 6 (everything after to the end). With the 2 dlcs being side chapters essentially as well.

Act 1 consists of finding Ciri, Act 2 is the prep and siege of Kaer Morhen, Act 3 is the conclusion of all the game's major conflicts, namely the political intrigue at Novigrad and the Wild Hunt/White Frost stuff.