Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
The AppleTV remote would be perfect for Amazon Video

Amazon :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Are you invested in the Apple ecosystem? What was your real purpose for running the Raspberry Pi with Kodi?

I use Kodi to stream media from my PC + watch Australian catch up TV through unofficial apps.

The AppleTV has the official catch up apps and also has a Stan app (it's similar to Netflix) which Kodi doesn't.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well I don't know about Kodi but Apple TV has Plex support.

Edit for more content: if you have any Apple iDevice, the Apple TV is an excellent compliment. As a stand alone streaming box, it makes less sense if you don't have any other Apple products.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You can sideload Kodi on to an ATV 4. You can also use Infuse as a video player for network shares.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kefkafloyd posted:

You can sideload Kodi on to an ATV 4.

Man, I need to buy a USB-C cable. :(

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Are we going to see apps that dont just ape the default UI because holy moly does it suck

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Almost a year later and the new ATV is still kind of a hot mess. I'm glad I decided to wait it out. I hope the devs can sort it out instead of the half baked mess it all seems to be still.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Almost a year later and the new ATV is still kind of a hot mess. I'm glad I decided to wait it out. I hope the devs can sort it out instead of the half baked mess it all seems to be still.

Didn't it come out in October? What aspect of it is a hot mess to you. I'm curious to see what if anything they announce at WWDC this year.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

god this blows posted:

Didn't it come out in October? What aspect of it is a hot mess to you. I'm curious to see what if anything they announce at WWDC this year.

I dunno it just kind of feels like a hobby product still.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The single-line keyboard is still a brutal troll.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

The single-line keyboard is still a brutal troll.

I use a harmony remote so I don't always have to deal with the single line but text input is a joke and I don't know a better way to handle it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I dunno it just kind of feels like a hobby product still.

I agree it still doesn't feel as polished as the iPhone or iPad but think it is one of the better media devices out there and other than text input I think they improved on the old one in a lot of ways.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
The keyboard stuff is dumb, but if I have to enter more than a few character, I just use the Remote app and it's been fine.

But it's just a glorified Plex and Macbook mirroring tool for me so far. I hope Sling TV or PS Vue apps come out for it soon.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't help that it lacked a number of features of the previous Apple TV model that were only patched in later.

I hope that the speech-dictation-for-search-fields functionality in the current tvOS betas gets pushed out in the next official update. We should find out next week after Apple's press event. That'd be the first major new feature introduced since the product launched.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My only slight concern is that the potential of it is never unleashed until a new hardware revision down the road and we have to upgrade again. I love the new box, but it felt like they were waiting for upwards of 12 months to sort out network deals that never transpired, as nothing about it screams 'up to the minute tech'.

A lot of iOS issues are always down to meh developers. It's the same with the iPhone and iPad, Apple talk for hours at WWDC about all these new amazing APIs and features in the new version and only a small group of devs bother to take them up. The amount of apps I have from major companies that aren't even optimised for the screen of the iPhone 6 is ridiculous. They're so loving lazy.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EL BROMANCE posted:

The amount of apps I have from major companies that aren't even optimised for the screen of the iPhone 6 is ridiculous. They're so loving lazy.

Nothing makes me nerdrage like seeing the status bar get huge.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

e.pilot posted:

Nothing makes me nerdrage like seeing the status bar get huge.

The funniest one is the dominos app; as they're bragging about their watch app, the phone app it is linked to is still like this.

Note: funny and not rage inducing because it's a loving dominos app and literally no one needs it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Kaizoku posted:

The funniest one is the dominos app; as they're bragging about their watch app, the phone app it is linked to is still like this.

Note: funny and not rage inducing because it's a loving dominos app and literally no one needs it.

The less social interaction I can have while sustaining my pizza and mountain dew habit the better. :colbert:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Can you order pizza with Siri? That would be the loving poo poo right there.

"Hey Siri, have a dominos large pepperoni delivered to home"

You could even let the ATV do it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you order pizza with Siri? That would be the loving poo poo right there.

"Hey Siri, have a dominos large pepperoni delivered to home"

You could even let the ATV do it.

You could have siri tweet dominos a pizza emoji, which can successfully initiate and complete an order. The future is now!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Any time I watch a movie through iTunes, interpolation/judder reduction kicks in and I get the soap opera effect. Judder reduction is disabled on the TV itself, and only kicks in when I'm viewing something in iTunes via Apple TV. Can't find the option to disable it anywhere in the Apple TV menus.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 16, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lincoln posted:

Any time I watch a movie through iTunes, interpolation/judder reduction kicks in and I get the soap opera effect. Judder reduction is disabled on the TV itself, and only kicks in when I'm viewing something in iTunes via Apple TV. Can't find the option to disable it anywhere in the Apple TV menus.

Are the movies purchased from iTunes or were they encoded by you? The movies might be encoded with frame interpolation and there's nothing you can do about that.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Lincoln posted:

Do you get the same effect on other Apple TV video apps? Or might the judder option on your TV be input-specific? I had a friend with judder correction on his blu-ray player input, and no judder correction on the cable tv input (which is like, the exact opposite of how that should be set up, if it's set up at all, but that's a rant for a different thread haha).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm confused. Are you Airplaying from iTunes to the AppleTV or playing it from the Movies/TV Shows app on the ATV?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The Christian Whitehead port of Sonic 1 is now available on Apple TV! The controls are awful using the remote, but if you have an MFI controller you can finally experience wide-screen Sonic 1 on the TV :)

It's also cross-buy with the iOS versions.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Should we assume there's still no Spotify app on ATV because Apple is blocking them? I can't think of any other reason why there still wouldn't be one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Spotify wasn't very fast to adopt to the Chromecast, either. I'd just assume they move very slowly to make sure they don't licenses, as the music industry works with them but isn't very fond of them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

OldSenileGuy posted:

Should we assume there's still no Spotify app on ATV because Apple is blocking them? I can't think of any other reason why there still wouldn't be one.

It took them nearly two years to upgrade their garbage Connect app into a full-fledged one on the Fire TV. They're a slow train when it comes to support.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm confused. Are you Airplaying from iTunes to the AppleTV or playing it from the Movies/TV Shows app on the ATV?

Air playing from iTunes on my MBP to Apple TV

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
finally jumped ship from Roku to AppleTV thanks to the new Plex app on the ATV4. I'm still learning new functions (just realized you can turn on/off your tv with the remote.)

Is there any way to switch tv inputs with the remote? I don't currently have a receiver in the mix so if I can figure that out then the tv remote can live semi-permanently in a drawer or something.

edit: I would primarily be switching back and forth between PS4 and ATV4 for HDMI inputs. maybe it's just a matter of seeing if waking the PS4 will switch inputs via HDMI-CEC

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 19, 2016

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Both the PS4 and Apple TV 4 will tell the TV to tune to their inputs if the TV is capable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still dig that I could turn my tv off with the apple remote even when it's not hooked up to the tv.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Since the Apple TV apps never really took off, is there any reason to get the 64GB version?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

LODGE NORTH posted:

Since the Apple TV apps never really took off, is there any reason to get the 64GB version?

It uses the extra space for storing a video buffer. So in theory yes, but in practice no.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The dictation update is everything I could've hoped for. YouTube is 100% more useful now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Agreed. YouTube app is still awful garbage but now I can search it in something approaching a timely manner.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've been away for a few weeks so I'm excited to see what features in YT have broken since. The most recent 'wtf' change I saw was when the Watch Later list got reversed to a degree and missed out the most recent addition.

Still weird how they completely removed that info screen that not everyone had, and never put it back.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Why do all the other platforms get the standard youtube app and AppleTV gets this aborted rat fetus?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Gah, main reason I purchased the ATV4 was for Plex and now I'm seeming to notice some pretty bad plex lag/buffering issues even though my wireless router is in the same room and my speeds are lightning fast.

Googling a bit it seems like a lot of people have reported Plex speed issues with ATV4, has anybody else run up against this? Thankfully when it does happen I can just switch over to plex on my tv or PS4 and resume the movie but it's sort of a pain in the rear end when I bought the ATV4 specifically because it finally supports Plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have had literally no issues with Plex buffering over wifi with an airport express. It is a dream come true after running that piece of poo poo app on the fire tv stick, holy poo poo.

But yeah, no issues other than some weird bug where every now and then I can't scroll up when going through my movies. I have to kill the app and start over.