Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

The Concept Sales Will Continue Until Funding Improves

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

Magical Parp Shower

Parping Breeze.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ComfyPants posted:

Parping Breeze.

:thurman:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Called it. Moving along.

Yes you did.
I thought they were more devious than that.

Classic case of "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
My predictions.

-They will introduce the in game ship store which will also feature the component upgrade system.
-Components will range from $5-$20 each with 5-8 different types (Engines, cooling, sensors, weapons etc.). Slight discount for a full set.
-Components will be locked to the ship at purchase.
-They will either let you pay in UEC (which you'll buy out of game for real $$$) or the game will just send you to a checkout page.
-(They may introduce a way to very slowly earn UEC in game, like cents per hour equivalent. Just to try and deflect the obvious criticism).
-They will start nerfing all stats on the base ships so that people must buy components to get the same performance they had before, they'll justify this by saying that it was always intended to be this way and the stats were previously inflated due to components not being available.
-The component system will be broken (surprise!) meaning that ships don't get the correct stats or perform worse after 'upgrading'.

At this point I think they realize that until they can hit a major milestone like introducing some new gameplay mechanics or persistence they are not going to be seeing huge amounts of funding anytime soon. The only thing they can do is try to get their daily income to balance with their overheads to stop from burning through cash reserves, milking the remaining shitizens for a few hundred bucks each over the coming months will keep the wolf from the door for a while.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
My latest masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvWiVdNyJi4&feature=youtu.be

e: this literally took me 10 times longer than I thought due to the client becoming unresponsive the majority of the time, freezing, crashing, getting stuck in various objects/architecture, etc. i cant believe anyone can play this and legit think this thing is going to be a game and its out this year.

Goobs fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 19, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

lazorexplosion posted:

It's not an alpha. If it were an alpha you'd think basic tech like 'can support the desired number of people simultaneously' would be in place by now. By my reckoning it's probably a prototype of the local physics grid, and I'd guess the team that made it showed it to Chris and he's completely clueless about what a prototype is so he just gives the orders to go ahead and start dumping finished assets in it and release it as an alpha, and they couldn't or wouldn't convince him otherwise. On a prototype, you leave all kinds of poo poo unfinished and hacked-together because it's not part of the thing that you're prototyping and that's fine unless some idiot comes along and insists the prototype looks OK to them so it must be ready for alpha. And then you're doomed to have hacks upon hacks upon hacks and you can't fix the hacks later because it breaks the hacks on the hacks that aren't currently broken. That's the kind of thing that explains how you can have $100M, hire coders who must be mostly competent, and yet end up releasing broken dog poo poo.

100% on the money. Since all they had was experimental tech when they needed to start denying refunds, they just pushed what they had. Probably why they also don't have a patcher. And now that decision has locked them into a death spiral. The decision to release their experimental testbed as the PTU might go down in the post-mortem as the moment the game was officially doomed. The game was never destined to release as pitched, but with enough time something could have come out. But not with this code base.

:lol: at them disabling Arena Commander - "We really want to concentrate on Crusader". Yeah, that's why you're doing that. I'm sure AC was totally skewing all that valuable tester feedback. More likely they needed the extra hamsters. Divert all power to our embarrassing as gently caress PTU, CIG engineering team!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Wrecked Angle posted:

My predictions.

I think this is a good bet for what's motivating them to implement this. The only problem of course is that all these money-making schemes rely on persistence, which I guess the engine just will not tolerate? :shrug: surely if they could pull it off it would have started happening yesterday, considering all the money on the table.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

:lol: at them disabling Arena Commander - "We really want to concentrate on Crusader". Yeah, that's why you're doing that. I'm sure AC was totally skewing all that valuable tester feedback. More likely they needed the extra hamsters. Divert all power to our embarrassing as gently caress PTU, CIG engineering team!

What kills me is the fact that they disable AC but leave in the AC patch notes, which won't be included when they turn it back on in a subsequent patch...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scruffpuff posted:

:lol: at them disabling Arena Commander

Wait, what?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The sad thing is this: They've made over $1m selling a JPEG.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

From the patch notes:

quote:

Arena Commander will be disabled for this first testing phase, as we want very much to test Crusader performance.

Then of course on the very next line:

quote:

PTU players in this initial test will have access to the Khartu-al in AC and Crusader, and the Starfarer (if you have the Revel & York hangar on your account).

So it's disabled, but you'll have access to the Khartu-al in it. Makes as much sense as anything else they say.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

FrankieGoes posted:

Wow, the patch contained two guns and one ship? Amazing. At this rate they'll be done by 2070 at the latest. (2065 at the earliest)

Remember that the ships you can buy only represent a small amount of the total ship variety that will be found in the finished game (lol)

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

D_Smart posted:

No, not yet. Nowhere near. In fact they haven't even quite broke $1 million so far in March. I think AP was suggesting that they might take a million over the full course of this sale.

From the figures it looks like they've sold less than 500 of the new jpg so far, it may well be that backers are getting a little more cautious. Particularly with these 'everything is subject to change' concept sales.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The creation of the concept "hangar-ready" rather pisses me off. This is a rather elaborate scam, really - they know just how to gently caress with the cultist's heads. When the model reaches a certain point, they let you see it in a dedicated virtual space. This is equivalent to putting something in someone's hands in a retail environment (http://content.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1889081,00.html), or car dealerships letting you test drive a car overnight (http://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/buying-a-car-can-you-take-home-a-car-on-a-test-drive-230716). Except in CIG's case, they're using the peculiarities of virtual goods to sell lies. If the game was worth a poo poo, every finished ship would be on the PTU for everyone to try. That isn't going to happen, because they're breeding elitism and class warfare among their own backers, because nothing squeezes wallets from stupid people faster than convincing them that spending more makes them better than someone else, even in a test environment.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wrecked Angle posted:

No, not yet. Nowhere near. In fact they haven't even quite broke $1 million so far in March. I think AP was suggesting that they might take a million over the full course of this sale.

From the figures it looks like they've sold less than 500 of the new jpg so far, it may well be that backers are getting a little more cautious. Particularly with these 'everything is subject to change' concept sales.

Right. I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarity. But yikes; they've got to be panicking over there.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I have got my fingers crossed that the big change in 2.3 is they have had a rethink and have made a racing sim based on Outrun

Edit: And they got someone else to make it

Sega has nothing else going for them at the moment...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

Sega has nothing else going for them at the moment...

If they had any sense, they'd get Obsidian to make Alpha Protocol 2.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TTerrible posted:

The fact that jst0rm is doing the sounds for Solar Plebian would cause Chris to have a Kylo Ren style flip out if he knew about it. It is beautiful in every way.

Uh, yeah, it's pretty surreal :D

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

D_Smart posted:

Right. I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarity. But yikes; they've got to be panicking over there.

That's still $150,000 from a concept jpeg. Don't you wish you could print that kind of money by putting a picture and some bullshit stats on your website?

To be honest, aside from the fact Star Citizen is a scam and the game is never coming out etc. I can't see why anyone would buy that jpeg today. Are they that desperate to get that $300 out of their bank account? You can't fly it, you can't sit in it, you can't even look at it! It's not the best, it's not super cool must-have, it's not limited(is it?) and if you believe CIG, they don't need the money to create your game. I actually think it won't sell very well at all, the only people I can imagine being drawn to it are the uber-whales who have to buy everything available.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

This needs to be preserved because this rules just for the final confirmation Ben is the "break emergency glass and blame" guy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like how an asteroid field is the best place to find a floating shotgun.

And why cut off AC? A couple months ago they were begging people to play it because hardly anyone was in it.

What a laugh riot.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

[quote="A Neurotic Jew" post="457603006"]

this but all the silhouettes are turds

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So, that's 2.3 huh. That's sure a lot of content for another revision number. Maybe 2.4 will finally have those cover mechanics eh?

I wonder if they wait to see if a sale is doing poorly before throwing out another revision number to drive more revenue.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
This took far too long for what it is

https://youtu.be/F7M5QnyJHfA

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm the 18 lines of patch notes explaining how looking to the right has been added.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Dunno if this was posted yet.

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/710974879617708033

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/710982279695175680

:vomarine:

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

I need to bleach my eyeballs.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Also there is a sound that plays everywhere we don't know how to fix. $110 million.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Chickenfrogman posted:

This needs to be preserved because this rules just for the final confirmation Ben is the "break emergency glass and blame" guy.

I love the bit right afterwards where they start talking about how broken the ships are...

"well, we're aware they're broken but I wouldn't say the Glaive is the most broken ship out there, I mean there's the Cutlass..*everyone bursts with laughter*"

Yes, that's right "developers" always laugh at the broken state of the poo poo they've sold to people for $100+. I really hope all these fuckers end up being held to account.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

the concept sales are expanding to fit the needs of the expanding concept sales

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Wrecked Angle posted:

I love the bit right afterwards where they start talking about how broken the ships are...

"well, we're aware they're broken but I wouldn't say the Glaive is the most broken ship out there, I mean there's the Cutlass..*everyone bursts with laughter*"

Yes, that's right "developers" always laugh at the broken state of the poo poo they've sold to people for $100+. I really hope all these fuckers end up being held to account.
p.s. please buy the new ship that will address your concerns about the cutlass

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

:gary::tubular:

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 19, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/322821/my-brother-believes-sc-will-fail-help-me-counter-his-arguments

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Clearly his brother is Derek Smart.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Breetai posted:

Money's reaction to the airquotes is both priceless and telling.

I only watched about 30 seconds but something seems very different. Is Sandi out of the state or something?

These people sound like they have hope and spirit. This reminds me of the Escapist quote about 'being around a viper that could strike at any moment' to describe Sandi's presence.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

The problem with this terrifying joke is that the ship skin is still 5$. No, no it is not worth 5$!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

oh god i cant look

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Please be someone in this thread :staredog:

EDIT: loving :laffo: at "link him to this website" being an acceptable counter to those points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D_Smart posted:

I would like to make $1 million for selling a JPEG to be honest. It'd make the whole "needing a job" thing a non-issue.

• Locked thread